Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dino. posted:

Is nobody gonna talk about kale pesto with farro pasta. Nobody?

I haven't tried making it yet, but I think that of all the BA people, I'm most likely to try something Chris developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Started disliking Chris when he was annoyingly dismissive of Maangchi's marinade for her buldak

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Started disliking Chris when he was annoyingly dismissive of Maangchi's marinade for her buldak

Maangchi's recipes kinda blow

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

I haven't made the buldak or whatever but I've never heard anything good about Maangchi.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Maangchi didn't invent marinating chicken in milk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Eat This Glob posted:

It's amazing a kid named "Cosmo Music" would be anything but a one-man phish cover band, but the they were born to do man vs food challenges that are basically eating a 1/4 cup of alum powder and squeezing a lemon into their eyes.

wait. That's just "jackass"

could you link this cosmo? I just get a music store.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Carla's son. He was in the Gourmet Makes Sour Patch Kids and Warheads videos, maybe more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Discendo Vox posted:

could you link this cosmo? I just get a music store.

https://twitter.com/WARHEADS/status/1201997936000950274

I love how so not in control Claire was at this moment

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I bought a bag of sour warheads at Big W and took it into a movie when I was 12. I chemical burned my tongue it took 5 days to heal. I am cosmo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqoyt4vsPA

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On Worst Cooks last night, a guy called a ham hock a ham cock and alton kept repeating it and they even put hashtag #hamcock on screen.

I have nothing to add to that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Random question: is Chris Kimball a right wing freak or something? People seem to dislike him on an Alton Brown level.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

he has his nose so far up his own rear end it really effects his pallet. Don't season! Don't sear! Don't have flavor!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

he has his nose so far up his own rear end it really effects his pallet. Don't season! Don't sear! Don't have flavor!

Oh for sure, his seasoning is terrible if it's even there (I would say this is true of most ATK recipes). Just wondering if there was something else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dude sounds like an rear end in a top hat and tries to take over every interview ever. His food also sucks so there's no reason at all to give him radio/video time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

Random question: is Chris Kimball a right wing freak or something? People seem to dislike him on an Alton Brown level.

hes just as annoying as the bazinga guy but apparently a real person

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
*Andy carrying a vessel with like three cups of salt over to the stove*

Camera guy: you gonna use all that salt?

Andy: No this isn’t a Molly Baz recipe :smug:

Me: :aaaaa:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

He seems to have changed. He has a new series called Milk Street Kitchen and they use all kinds of flavors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftbdvdkahQ

People would like him more without the bowtie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stelio Kontos posted:

*Andy carrying a vessel with like three cups of salt over to the stove*

Camera guy: you gonna use all that salt?

Andy: No this isn’t a Molly Baz recipe :smug:

Me: :aaaaa:

Andy brings the kind of chaotic energy to the BATK that everyone thinks comes from Molly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's actually a Deadhead. I thought there was a long New Yorker profile, but I can't find it now.

His letters were pretty pretentious. He's fine with looking like an idiot (acting like the everyman on the show), so a lot of people believe he is. He left his wife of decades and almost immediately remarried someone from ATK, claiming they hadn't been involved beforehand.

Ymmv on those. He's an old white guy in a bowtie, but afaik he isn't a Republican or anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have no idea, I don't dislike him or Alton Brown, don't know enough about them personally to like or dislike them. I made something from his Milk St show and it was good. I think they over-Americanize dishes but that's probably what most people want, at least they show how the original dish is made if you want to do that. Everything from ATK is under seasoned IMO but that's easily remedied. The audience for those shows are people who want to try something different, not people who love food, and in my experience most people eat bland food. My MIL has cooking shows on all day long and then makes the same Betty Crocker food she's been making since the 60s.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It seems like Alton Brown has chilled out a lot regarding religion and poo poo like that, but I also totally believe stories that he's kind of a blunt, abrasive rear end in a top hat in person. I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad person or anything, though.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Harrow posted:

It seems like Alton Brown has chilled out a lot regarding religion and poo poo like that, but I also totally believe stories that he's kind of a blunt, abrasive rear end in a top hat in person. I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad person or anything, though.

For me it's the "if your kitchen has eggs and bread you can make me French Toast even if it's not on the menu" attitude.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mob posted:

For me it's the "if your kitchen has eggs and bread you can make me French Toast even if it's not on the menu" attitude.

Cornbread* but yeah.

That and his alleged "y'all still have slaves/let the gays marry here in Iowa" jokes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so I grew up in the 80s and 90s and Julia Child and Jacques Pépin taught me most of my basics on how to cook. My daughter wants to learn more basics but from instructional videos. I recommended looking up those but I realized a day or two later that they're kind of dated in some of their techniques, ingredients and plain old meals. Anyone you guys would recommend? I thought about Ramsay or Jamie Oliver but I wouldn't exactly say they're 100% geared towards the basics. Also yes I teach her how to cook she just super hates doing it in front of someone the first few times because she feels JUDGEMENT regardless of how encouraging I am but she's pretty anxiety ridden so I get it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The guy is currently rebuilding his personal brand after being forced out of ATK because he was a colossally egotistical dickhead to everyone in front and behind the camera even though he helped start the brand. That's how much of a dick he was.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 15, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I haven’t watched any of the videos, but Babish has that ‘basics with babish’ playlist.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Ok so I grew up in the 80s and 90s and Julia Child and Jacques Pépin taught me most of my basics on how to cook. My daughter wants to learn more basics but from instructional videos. I recommended looking up those but I realized a day or two later that they're kind of dated in some of their techniques, ingredients and plain old meals. Anyone you guys would recommend? I thought about Ramsay or Jamie Oliver but I wouldn't exactly say they're 100% geared towards the basics. Also yes I teach her how to cook she just super hates doing it in front of someone the first few times because she feels JUDGEMENT regardless of how encouraging I am but she's pretty anxiety ridden so I get it.

The guy is currently rebuilding his personal brand after being forced out of ATK because he was a colossally egotistical dickhead to everyone in front and behind the camera even though he helped start the brand. That's how much of a dick he was.

bon appetite has some instructional youtubes nowadays

I'd still say push JP

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I haven’t watched any of the videos, but Babish has that ‘basics with babish’ playlist.
He doesn't really know how to cook though so that's a real downside.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He doesn't really know how to cook though so that's a real downside.

I used to try to watch him for the novelty of the recipes but it bothers me that the recipes seem off at times. His Moonlight episode has him stating to cook the blackbeans for up to 30 mins after soaking and the website has the same time. A dude on Reddit apparently message Babish and the dude told him just use canned beans.

I know it's a weird nitpick but I never have beens cook that fast. Hell even my heirloom beans that I grew myself and soaked for 16 hours took a bit over an hour to cook

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croatoan posted:

There's nothing wrong with Jacques' or Julia's basic techniques. You still break down a chicken or cut a pile of veg the same way as you did 30 years ago. Some of their recipes are a little old fashioned, and some of their ~~~ethnic~~~ inspired dishes are white as gently caress, but whatever.

Jacques' Fast Food My Way is a great series for actual home cooks because it's a lot of shortcuts and easy dishes you can whip up on a Thursday night when all you want to do is stuff something halfway delicious in your face and then suck down a bottle of bourbon.

Edit: his omelet video is still one of the best ways to teach someone how to make not terribly overcooked eggs.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 16, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m enjoying Alton on Worst Cooks. His absolute disgust at his protégés is amazing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah Julia and Jacques ruined me on western style omelettes. They're overcooked foam to me. Slightly runny in the center or GTFO. I assumed eggs would be the best beginner thing to learn so she's watched lots of Julia and Jacques egg videos and she's gotten pretty good at them she's just sick of eggs. Honestly I bet AB might be good for her. It was for me when I was learning the "whys" of certain things you do that can be applied to other things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Good Eats is definitely the place to go next, I learned a ton from that show

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^no

i really liked Jacob Burton's YT channel, thought it was pretty instructive a few years ago when i watched it more often

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sandi noooooo take Noel instead

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1217767935227387906

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i only know sandi from QI and noel from comedy, so that seems like an interesting duo for what is ostensibly a cooking show. I'll have to get on GBBO at some point

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like Noel will go as well. If not they’ll have to get someone to counter him better. Richard Ayoade maybe?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jacques Pepin is a legend but I'm still haunted by his use of a metal fork to scrape his nonstick pan in his omelette video

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i only know sandi from QI and noel from comedy, so that seems like an interesting duo for what is ostensibly a cooking show. I'll have to get on GBBO at some point

GBBO rules and is perhaps the best show on television. Watch every season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Casu Marzu posted:

There's nothing wrong with Jacques' or Julia's basic techniques. You still break down a chicken or cut a pile of veg the same way as you did 30 years ago. Some of their recipes are a little old fashioned, and some of their ~~~ethnic~~~ inspired dishes are white as gently caress, but whatever.

Jacques' Fast Food My Way is a great series for actual home cooks because it's a lot of shortcuts and easy dishes you can whip up on a Thursday night when all you want to do is stuff something halfway delicious in your face and then suck down a bottle of bourbon.

Edit: his omelet video is still one of the best ways to teach someone how to make not terribly overcooked eggs.

Fast food my way is awesome. I love watching that.