Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is your Plex server attempting to transcode them? Does it have a powerful GPU or CPU to handle said transcode?

I have a 3 GHz i7, I've tried both "force" and "auto" passthrough. As I said its not just movies, flac and mp3 audio has the same issue. Sometimes even half the thumbnails fail to load while browsing my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
For Irritated Goat the TVs/roku might not be able to handle the bitrates of the files you are trying to play. I don't know what their specs are precisely, but the latest Amazon 4k fire stick is only specced to handle 35Mbps h265 videos.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SA Forums Poster posted:

Plex is driving me insane. I have a 4k TV with Roku built in. I can play Amazon Prime 4k videos no problem, I can play Youtube videos at 4k no problem.

Even playing 720p or Flac audio on Plex, it will struggle to initially play them. Videos will often get stuck at 13% when first playing. I have to hit the back arrow, select play again, stuck at 13%, repeat about 5-10 times and then the video will finally play.

What can I do? I playing over wifi on my local home network. As I said I play 4k videos from other sources no problem, so I know its not the wifi.

There are two possible reasons those other sources are working fine while Plex is struggling
- As Calc said, your PMS has to transcode while the others are just streaming. "3 GHz i7" doesn't tell us anything about the rest of the server's hardware or the resources utilized. Also, I wouldn't expect streaming audio files to be an issue, but it sounds like this is mostly an issue with video files.
- You mentioned wifi, which absolutely could be an issue. Again, this applies to the Plex scenario and not YT or any other service because in the latter you're just running a single stream, whereas you can run into issues like what you've described if both your client and server are wireless, at least if you don't have a full MU-MIMO setup. Remember, if you've got multiple devices connected to the same WAP at the same frequency then they can interfere with each other, especially in this type of scenario where you're running a high-bandwidth/bitrate stream in two directions (i.e. PMS -> WAP -> client.)

SA Forums Poster posted:

I have a 3 GHz i7, I've tried both "force" and "auto" passthrough. As I said its not just movies, flac and mp3 audio has the same issue. Sometimes even half the thumbnails fail to load while browsing my collection.

The problems with less demanding audio files and loading thumbnails are more troubling, however. If the problem isn't either of the above, I suppose it could be disk-related. Note that your PMS caches transcodes to a local disk of your choice, and if the drive in question is failing then that could cause an issue accessing it which could manifest as the symptoms you've described, particularly thumbnails not loading.

Again, without knowing more about your hardware and network I can't offer more suggestions than the above.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

THF13 posted:

For Irritated Goat the TVs/roku might not be able to handle the bitrates of the files you are trying to play. I don't know what their specs are precisely, but the latest Amazon 4k fire stick is only specced to handle 35Mbps h265 videos.

It ended up being the audio. Roku or my LG TV can't handle TrueHD so switching to a handled format and turning off subs makes it work fine. I do need to figure out how to do subs since I have issues hearing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What format are the current subs in? It’s probably PGS which is a graphical format, and often causes issues. Head over to subscene and find a good set in .srt that matches your file and you should be ok.

Yeah sometimes things like audio incompatibility on devices forces a full transcode for some reason. I know the Xbox client also used to force transcode if you dared use anything than the default audio track too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Let me be sure I have this right. For h265 direct play support:
* Shield is the outright darling
* Fire TV Stick 4k is the cheap one? (Limited to 35mbps and questionable audio support)
* Fire TV Cube is the middle cost one? (Same restiction as 4k stick)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn't heard the 35mbit limit for Firestick 4K before someone mentioned it a few days ago, but I've played at least part of a remuxed 4K disc with zero issues over wifi. I'll try remember this evening when I go home and throw something at it that I know has a high bitrate and see if it chokes. It's my bedroom setup so not being able to play that stuff wasn't a major issue (as I'd much rather watch it in the lounge) but it's always nice to know for sure.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Let me be sure I have this right. For h265 direct play support:
* Shield is the outright darling
* Fire TV Stick 4k is the cheap one? (Limited to 35mbps and questionable audio support)
* Fire TV Cube is the middle cost one? (Same restiction as 4k stick)

Roku products also support h265 direct play.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

It ended up being the audio. Roku or my LG TV can't handle TrueHD so switching to a handled format and turning off subs makes it work fine. I do need to figure out how to do subs since I have issues hearing.

You should also ensure that your Plex server is up-to-date. There have been transcoding issues recently, I think they're resolved, that cause a bunch of problems including poor performance which you would see client side as stuttering or slow to get to 100%. Updating fixed it for me, before that a simple subtitle transcode couldn't keep up. Transcoding audio should also be fine, I have a NAS with a lesser CPU than you and subtitles and TrueHD conversion doesn't cause it to break sweat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

There are two possible reasons those other sources are working fine while Plex is struggling
- As Calc said, your PMS has to transcode while the others are just streaming. "3 GHz i7" doesn't tell us anything about the rest of the server's hardware or the resources utilized. Also, I wouldn't expect streaming audio files to be an issue, but it sounds like this is mostly an issue with video files.
- You mentioned wifi, which absolutely could be an issue. Again, this applies to the Plex scenario and not YT or any other service because in the latter you're just running a single stream, whereas you can run into issues like what you've described if both your client and server are wireless, at least if you don't have a full MU-MIMO setup. Remember, if you've got multiple devices connected to the same WAP at the same frequency then they can interfere with each other, especially in this type of scenario where you're running a high-bandwidth/bitrate stream in two directions (i.e. PMS -> WAP -> client.)

The problems with less demanding audio files and loading thumbnails are more troubling, however. If the problem isn't either of the above, I suppose it could be disk-related. Note that your PMS caches transcodes to a local disk of your choice, and if the drive in question is failing then that could cause an issue accessing it which could manifest as the symptoms you've described, particularly thumbnails not loading.

Again, without knowing more about your hardware and network I can't offer more suggestions than the above.

I'm wondering if it's one of those absolute worst case scenarios where the files, Plex server, and player are all separate devices, all trying to use the same wifi.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Re: Firestick 4K limitations

Not having any issues with this uhd remux. I had to switch the audio from TrueHD to AC3 as for some reason the screen stayed green otherwise, but been running with no frame skips or any buffering. So maybe the 35mbit limit is something old that’s no longer an issue?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'll be honest, the truehd audio part also worries me [buy a Shield], most of my out of copyright educational works use TrueHD [buy a Shield, you want it] and I'm on a war against Transcoding [therefore a Shield, permission granted]

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve been holding out hope that the Shield TV can eventually be found for under $100. I just can’t justify $200 for the normal shield when my Roku 4K stick does the job most of the time with local content.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Gay Retard posted:

I’ve been holding out hope that the Shield TV can eventually be found for under $100. I just can’t justify $200 for the normal shield when my Roku 4K stick does the job most of the time with local content.

If I recall, Shield can be used as a Plex server so your 4K stick is still useful.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is there a way to remote into the Shield TV and/or pro to do setup stuff once I get Plex server on it? Like Splashtop or teamviewer?

I really want to upgrade from using my old computer but that would be one quality of life loss that would actually hurt.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

maniacripper posted:

Is there a way to remote into the Shield TV and/or pro to do setup stuff once I get Plex server on it? Like Splashtop or teamviewer?

I really want to upgrade from using my old computer but that would be one quality of life loss that would actually hurt.

I've been a Shield user for years and have never had a reason to remote into it. There is a feature you can enable so that you can access the folders over the network (similar to how you would access a shared folder in Windows or MacOS) if you want to sideload an APK or something.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

If I recall, Shield can be used as a Plex server so your 4K stick is still useful.

That would have been great back in the day, but at this point all my Plex content is hosted on my 35TB server.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have the older shield tv and I had to switch a couple audio sources away from truehd to another type for transcoding issues/ slowness.

The video was 4k, but I think it got confused and tried to do video as well, which I prevent. Might have been a subtile thing too. I with tatuli differentiated transcodes between audio (ok) and video (please stop) in the logs

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm so glad I kept this thread bookmarked! I've been trying to get 4k working on my C9 OLED through the Plex app on the TV with no luck. It stutters but is almost watchable. I bet it is the trueHD stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nocheez posted:

I'm so glad I kept this thread bookmarked! I've been trying to get 4k working on my C9 OLED through the Plex app on the TV with no luck. It stutters but is almost watchable. I bet it is the trueHD stuff.

Is https://xplay.itkey.ru/ on the LG app store still? A 3rd party player that was better than the client when I used my LG OLED to watch 4K stuff a while back (but I know there's been improvement in the official app since). It'll also tell you in the preview screen if it's going to transcode anything which is a feature Plex official really needs.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does anyone know if an HDMI stick exists that would let me install Plex/Kodi and poo poo without being married to an Amazon account like the fire stick? I really want a no frills Plex stick that I can share amongst friends without needing them to do the setup after they register it with Amazon/Roku whoever

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cr0y posted:

Does anyone know if an HDMI stick exists that would let me install Plex/Kodi and poo poo without being married to an Amazon account like the fire stick? I really want a no frills Plex stick that I can share amongst friends without needing them to do the setup after they register it with Amazon/Roku whoever

If its just clients, why not a raspberry pi? Not a stick per say but small case that can be attached via HDMI. I'm not sure what current limitations are using the Rpi as a player but that's the only thing I can think of that does not require a Google or Amazon account.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

cr0y posted:

smart TV with plex app, no hdmi stick required, BOOM!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

maniacripper posted:

https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

Put it on a restricted secondary amazon account or buy a Roku stick? (which is then tied to a roku account......so that might not work depending on what you're trying to do here)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Plex is apparently planning to do that “search the media and we’ll find where it’s streaming and play it for you” like Roku does, but better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Meanwhile sync still doesn’t work reliably for a large amount of paying users for the umpteenth year in a row.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Meanwhile sync still doesn’t work reliably for a large amount of paying users for the umpteenth year in a row.

Yeah, this.

And even when it does work, I come home and my watched/unwatched status after sync is at best random.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Looks like an issue with thetvdb api is affecting everything at the moment.

https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61687

Cross posting to the Usenet thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm wonder if this is related to how Sonarr couldn’t find a new show I wanted to add..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most likely, it's been an rear end for the last 24 hours or so. Always ties in with when I'm shifting a ton of data, ha.

(Also, guess who backfilled American Dad forgetting the hellcape that is the ordering on that one, doh).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

American Dad forgetting the hellcape that is the ordering on that one, doh).

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that show?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that show?

Fox animation at their loving worst.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's always been a nightmare, and always the 'go to' example of how these things can spiral madly out of control when things are labeled differently on TV and DVD, or changes of networks. The TVDB guys just have this weird thing where they decide on an order and absolutely refuse to budge on it, despite nobody else using it. And given they're the prime source of data, it just causes headaches (then there's the issues with them splitting animation into 2 episodes per aired block, despite again nobody using these orders). Sonarr works with TheXEM.de to try and correct things, but sadly I was working with a corrected set already so it pushed everything into the wrong season folders, overwrote things it shouldn't have etc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ancient Aliens has a few strange seasons in there that I stopped trying to make sense of.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Atomizer posted:

My issues were fixed by restarting my Desktop PC (file server, plex server, wired network connection to wifi router).
Its been a week since I restarted, and its starting to hang at 13% loaded again. So it must be something on my PC that is causing the issue, Plex is updated to the newest release. If the fix is as simple as restarting once a week, I can live with that.

e: nevermind, restarting worked last week, but didn't help today. :-(

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SA Forums Poster posted:

My issues were fixed by restarting my Desktop PC (file server, plex server, wired network connection to wifi router).
Its been a week since I restarted, and its starting to hang at 13% loaded again. So it must be something on my PC that is causing the issue, Plex is updated to the newest release. If the fix is as simple as restarting once a week, I can live with that.

Even if you can stream YouTube or Amazon 4K video no problem, rule out the wifi entirely and hardwire your TV to see if that remedies the issue.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SA Forums Poster posted:

I've noticed what appears to be a memory leak on my main PMS, which also runs a few other things like a Steam content caching server so it's hard to pinpoint it, but performance is fine for my light workload so I just have to reboot like once a month or whenever necessary for Windows updates. (The "in-use" RAM amount slowly climbs regardless of applications being closed.)

It's harder to diagnose if you've got multiple things running on the PC, but if a reboot helped at one point then that would suggest a software issue, like any of the other stuff running in the background including software updates.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Weird issue. Running plex in Firefox, if I move whatever I'm watching to my second screen, the colours look fine and correct. If I move it back to the main screen, it makes them washed out. Moving it back to the other screen makes it right again. It's super visible and it's plex or something adjusting the brightness, because it holds the brightness/contrast from the other screen until I unpause.

It doesn't do it in Chrome... Anyone else had this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumb questions:
  1. How stupid would it be to run the plex server on a raspberry pi 4 4GB?
  2. Does it still cost money if I want to play stuff on an iPad?