Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Even xCloud isn't using Windows VMs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

leftist heap posted:

tbf I don't think this was ever claimed by Google. It was known up front that games would have to be ported to Linux/Vulcan.
Really? That would be incredibly stupid. I mean, Borderlands 3 is natively available for PC, I can't imagine they actually plan to obtain and port the source code to Linux for every game they intend to have on their platform. Easier to run it in a stripped-down Windows environment than to go to that kind of effort.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Cardiovorax posted:

Really? That would be incredibly stupid. I mean, Borderlands 3 is natively available for PC, I can't imagine they actually plan to obtain and port the source code to Linux for every game they intend to have on their platform. Easier to run it in a stripped-down Windows environment than to go to that kind of effort.

Absolutely no one uses Windows for this kind of cloud computing due to Windows costing money and Linux not costing money.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cardiovorax posted:

Porting isn't the problem, sure, it's an extra thing for developers to do. But they have to think there will be sales. The lack of game announcements is really concerning for Stadia, since if it was a success, you would have people interested in getting their games on there. But by and large, there's been indifference, which is why nobody is porting anything.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Emong posted:

Absolutely no one uses Windows for this kind of cloud computing due to Windows costing money and Linux not costing money.
GeForce Now runs games in Windows 8/Windows 10 VMs which is why the list of supported games on GeForce Now that start with the letter B is longer than the entire Stadia library.

Cardiovorax posted:

This is why the new Tomb Raider trilogy was a Stadia launch title: it already ran on Vulkan. What's a bit weird is how few Linux games are available on Stadia. Check out what linux games are being played on Steam. It's a pretty impressive list.
edit: the list of games that run on Vulkan specifically is also quite long.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 6, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Only the Xbox runs windows. If the game is on the PS4 then it’s already got a BSD + OpenGL port and the effort to port the game to stadia wouldn’t be that bad.

There just has to be a market for it and there isn’t.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

ratbert90 posted:

If the game is on the PS4 then it’s already got a BSD + OpenGL port and the effort to port the game to stadia wouldn’t be that bad.

lol no that is not how porting software works

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
You don't just have to port to Linux either, you also have to port to Vulkan.

I think it's pretty telling that they couldn't get Doom 2016 as a release game.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know anything about Google nowadays, but a few years ago I had a good friend who worked there and he told me that absolutely nobody was working on Google Finance, simply because zero engineers at the company were interested in the product and they wanted to work on newer, hotter things.

I have a feeling we're entering that gear with Stadia already.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What new games are coming to stadia? I think the only one that's not a game that's already available elsewhere is cyberpunk 2077 and even then I don't see that game being out the same day as the console/steam release.

It's like we've said, as it is, Stadia is just a chance to buy your games again just for the minor convenience of being able to play in more places. I just don't see how it's appealing right now when you get a gimped game library and you're behind all other platforms in terms of game releases.

With the lack of newer releases and the library continuing to be extremely small compared to other platforms, Stadia is really just going to flounder around for a year or two before becoming another bulletpoint in the Google graveyard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

leftist heap posted:

I think it's pretty telling that they couldn't get Doom 2016 as a release game.

My bet is it works, but it's completely unplayable due to the lag and they're desperately trying to improve it.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know anything about Google nowadays, but a few years ago I had a good friend who worked there and he told me that absolutely nobody was working on Google Finance, simply because zero engineers at the company were interested in the product and they wanted to work on newer, hotter things.

Makes sense, pretty much the same reason Valve couldn't get up off its rear end to make a new HL game until they tied it to VR tech, which Valve is absolutely obsessed with to the exclusion of anything else.

Ineffiable posted:

What new games are coming to stadia? I think the only one that's not a game that's already available elsewhere is cyberpunk 2077 and even then I don't see that game being out the same day as the console/steam release.

https://9to5google.com/2020/01/03/every-google-stadia-game-2020/

The Crew 2
DOOM 2016
The Elder Scrolls Online
SUPERHOT
The Division 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Destroy All Humans! (2020 remake)
DOOM Eternal
Gods & Monsters
Avengers
Monster Energy Supercross 3
Watch Dogs Legion
Windjammers 2

Timed Exclusives:
Get Packed
Orcs Must Die! 3
Spitlings

It's not a great list but it could be worse.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 6, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is Google culture. I don't know how many times it's been stated/reiterated here but the absolute worst thing you could do for your career at Google is to stay attached to a product after launch (other than mail/search or the 3% of products that go on to be useful/successful). It is never in their best interests to make a product work, it's all about the hype/launch.

As a google engineer, it is imperative that you get attached to a product way, way before launch. From that moment, do everything in your power to be put onto a new launch product as close to BEFORE launch of your original project as possible. Executives are the same, though they get the golden parachute to escape the explosion/wildfire after, so it's a tossup on what they should do.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What ever happened to hostile apostle once everything he shilled stopped working?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Communist Walrus posted:

Marques, please show me what's all new in the area of computing

I hope it was Marques Brownlee humoring the guy.

Glenn Quebec posted:

What ever happened to hostile apostle once everything he shilled stopped working?

He got sucked into the cloud and is now roaming the information superhighway.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The lack of games hasn't stopped some dedicated fan outlets from doing reviews. State of Stadia:

The Crew 2 review

quote:

The Crew 2 is a must for any racing fan thanks to it's challenging gameplay with plenty of variety and impressive graphics. We look forward to seeing this on Stadia this November!

Doom 2016 review

quote:

Doom 2016 is a fantastic shooting game with impressive graphics and shooting gameplay. We look forward to seeing this on Stadia this November!

Monster Hunter: World review

quote:

Monster Hunter: World is a complex action RPG. It offers a huge variety of monster hunts, weapons in a visually interesting world. It isn't a game for everyone due its learning curve and time required but still worth a look if you've played any previous entries or similar games. We look forward to hopefully seeing this on Google Stadia in the future and will update this review with our impressions.

Actually, all of that site's reviews were posted before the Stadia Pro was made available and none have been updated for Stadia version impressions. Weird!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think I saw a movie about that called Ralph breaks the Stadia.

Oh god the best thing you can do is call it 'the Stadia' second best is to say you just got your Stadia in the mail.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

leftist heap posted:

Even xCloud isn't using Windows VMs though
Isn't the XBox version of the Windows kernel running on Hyper-V, anyway, since the Xbone?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Only the Xbox runs windows. If the game is on the PS4 then it’s already got a BSD + OpenGL port and the effort to port the game to stadia wouldn’t be that bad.

ps4 doesnt have opengl. it uses its own apis, one high level which is what you would use for something that doesnt really require a lot of processing and can make do with being inefficient, and then a low level one which most things using modern graphics are going to be using and which requires a lot more hardware specific coding to use. look up the presentation the devs of second son did to see how much hardware specific optimisation things are using.

even the xbox runs a weird version of directx and again a mode with more low level access.

consoles arent just little PCs even if theyre on x86 now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ps now just uses racks of ps3 and ps4 hardware broken down into whateveru rack units. pretty sure xcloud is doing the same but with xboxes. xbox "running" windows doesnt mean its just running pc software its still largely hardware optimised. how else do u think the base consoles are running anything with like 1.6ghz cpus.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

2 Thoughts On “Monster Hunter: World Review”

Sanses
SEPTEMBER 20, 2019 AT 1:31 PM
Has MHW actually been confirmed as coming to Stadia or are you just spouting speculation? Because I have seen nothing confirming it as coming to Stadia yet.

Matt Harris Post Author
SEPTEMBER 21, 2019 AT 12:00 AM
Thank you for your comment. We thought it was going to get a release some time after launch, however you are right – nothing has been confirmed. I have updated the review to point this out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

quote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I think happened. This was probably planned to go out when Google Fiber was in full swing (Not 100% rolled out but rolled out enough to be popular in the public's mind).

If that had happened, it would have had more people clamoring for Google Fiber (because you need fiber to even think about using this service). So it would have been a great 1-2 punch.

Instead, they let the cable companies win and they have two failures on the books.
To Google- know what to fight for, people.

Similar stuff has been posted here before but I feel like I'm seeing this a lot now, I guess it's a handy way to admit the lack of success without having to blame google.

quote:

It COULD be big if they would have done it near the new console launch.

$4-500 for ps5/xb vs a small stadia fee for a similar experience? They could have done well.

Now it's just an afterthought and wouldn't even be a consideration in the fall.

Marketing genius here. Why doesn't every underdog launch directly opposite their entrenched opposition, with less options and a more limited experience??

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Crew 2
DOOM 2016
The Elder Scrolls Online
SUPERHOT
The Division 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
DOOM Eternal
Gods & Monsters
Avengers
Watch Dogs Legion
Windjammers 2

Timed Exclusives:
Get Packed
Orcs Must Die! 3
Spitlings

I should have been more clear, I was asking about games that would be new to the gaming population in general as well as stadia, not a port of a game we've already had for 6+ months.

Still a bigger list than I was expecting but let's see how many of those do come out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ineffiable posted:

I should have been more clear, I was asking about games that would be new to the gaming population in general as well as stadia, not a port of a game we've already had for 6+ months.

Still a bigger list than I was expecting but let's see how many of those do come out.

But how many of these games will actually come out?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

Ah, well, that's everything on the list (and in the article) after Division 2.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My bet is it works, but it's completely unplayable due to the lag and they're desperately trying to improve it.

Makes sense, pretty much the same reason Valve couldn't get up off its rear end to make a new HL game until they tied it to VR tech, which Valve is absolutely obsessed with to the exclusion of anything else.

The Crew 2
DOOM 2016
The Elder Scrolls Online
SUPERHOT
The Division 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
DOOM Eternal
Gods & Monsters
Avengers
Watch Dogs Legion
Windjammers 2

Timed Exclusives:
Get Packed
Orcs Must Die! 3
Spitlings

That entire list is wishposting. The article says:

quote:

For better or worse, not every game that’s being released for Google Stadia in the coming year is necessarily new. While none of the platform’s games thus far are old enough to be considered “classics,” some of Stadia’s upcoming releases in 2020 are simply ports from other platforms.

That being the case, these games could land on Google Stadia at almost any time in 2020, though none have been given a formal release date yet.

I bet baldur's gate 3 and anything else that is going to be out later in the year won't make it in 2020, if ever. With Stadia hemorhaging users (looking at the destiny 2 numbers they've dropped down to 8k or so active users), devs are going to prioritize stadia compatibility even less than they already are.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Finster Dexter posted:

That entire list is wishposting. The article says:

I bet baldur's gate 3 and anything else that is going to be out later in the year won't make it in 2020, if ever. With Stadia hemorhaging users (looking at the destiny 2 numbers they've dropped down to 8k or so active users), devs are going to prioritize stadia compatibility even less than they already are.

Fair enough, but if you want a list that has firm, confirmed Stadia release dates it's going to be a very, very short list. Like, 0 titles long.

That and the question was "what new titles are coming to Stadia", not a particular date. As of right now, all those titles are supposed to come to Stadia at some point.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 7, 2020

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

Seems like it's 95% "dads" that are trying to escape from their own family - sounds like they need some therapy. I straight up tell my wife if I'm going to play games since I might have headphones on - she knows that she'll probably hear me talking to someone or that she might have to come to the office to get my attention.

Overall, majority of these Stadia people are just sad examples of what buyer's remorse combined with introverted tendencies look like.

This is exactly why I can’t possibly believe this. Are there that many people that married a teeth monster that can’t simply have established that this is their hobby, they play games, that they need to go covert ops on this kinda crap? It just boggles the mind.

I wish my wife appreciated gaming as much as I do and I take what time with her I can get when we can share it but I have to wonder what these people have had to give up in order to find someone who’d gently caress them in the first place that would lead to them having to lower themselves to becoming a “Stadia Dad” <shudder>

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The apocryphal Stadia dad also often has an "unused" PS4 sitting around unused / too near their wife's teeth, but hasn't worked out a used Vita costs less than the FOUNDERS pack and has no ongoing costs + works with their existing games, like Tomb Raider they probably bought for $5 in 2016.

At this point I think Google looked at the founders demographics, worked out 95% of buyers were men* and tried to work out how to make "play games away from the ball and chain!" marketable in [current year].

* - this is basically always true for an overly techy solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Wife: My husband used to go out the garage to smoke a cigarette or two and then jerk off, but now he's just in there doing raids and finding old poo poo with Lara Croft. drat you Stadia!!!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, I had completely forgotten that Stevia was a thing til someone on my feed retweeted this guy. I guess it is getting an exclusive?
https://twitter.com/BelgianBoolean/status/1214290368205918215?s=20

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
At this rate they should have a couple first party titles ready for release in early 2023.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1214269357834014728?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All I will say is remember Amazon's last gaming foray?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

With the device people already have? Wot a concept!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Majin posted:

Are there that many people that married a teeth monster.

Ya know i started to skip the reddit posts because they blended into some mad gibberish about Stadia and its merits that are not actually real given enough thought to simpler solutions, but this one has me stumped and i suspect i should have paid more attention.

Im not sure if this is actually forgetting stadia or not being aware enough in the first place to see the possible comparison.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Barudak posted:

All I will say is remember Amazon's last gaming foray?
You're going to have to be more specific than that. Are you talking about Amazon Underground, Amazon's program that offered free apps and paid developers based on how long people spent using them? Their purchase of Twitch, the largest game streaming site in the world? Their purchase of Curse Gaming? Amazon Game Studios, which is still making games?
They'll still need to get everyone to buy a controller to play anything that isn't custom made for use with an Amazon Fire remote control.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I figure the YouTube people might have a shot at nailing a streaming game option, but the twitch people? No loving way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lodin posted:

Lol, I had completely forgotten that Stevia was a thing til someone on my feed retweeted this guy. I guess it is getting an exclusive?
https://twitter.com/BelgianBoolean/status/1214290368205918215?s=20

"Google Stadia first party"? Is this like a new thing where they don't even have a name for the studio yet?

(Also a Google game studio that has nothing but concept artists makes a good joke.)

amazon's been trying to do games stuff other than just running twitch for the last little bit, and generally failing pretty badly -- though in a much quieter way than google

again it's a case of a Platform company thinking the Platforms are the most important thing. so amazon bought a copy of cryengine and re-branded it lumberyard, and was like "come use our new Platform, we're got special twitch integration!" *cricket sounds*

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

I figure the YouTube people might have a shot at nailing a streaming game option, but the twitch people? No loving way.

When are the YouTube people unveiling their streaming game platform??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klyith posted:

"Google Stadia first party"? Is this like a new thing where they don't even have a name for the studio yet?

(Also a Google game studio that has nothing but concept artists makes a good joke.)

amazon's been trying to do games stuff other than just running twitch for the last little bit, and generally failing pretty badly -- though in a much quieter way than google

again it's a case of a Platform company thinking the Platforms are the most important thing. so amazon bought a copy of cryengine and re-branded it lumberyard, and was like "come use our new Platform, we're got special twitch integration!" *cricket sounds*

they got star citizen