Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Definitely no replacement for the grind...checking vins...years listed wrong all the time I bought a couple of “95s” last year that were vin verified 94s. Toyota ambulances and trucks listed as Lexus es250s all the time. And like Kaker said things are listed as “other” all the time. I’ve seen poo poo graded 3.5 that should be crushed for scrap and 3’s and R’s that look amazing after inspection. Or the sheet can be fantastically clean and the inspector gets there and it’s a giant piece of poo poo. Just go watch an idiot PCA vid where they go over a hilux that ends up being full of bondo and they are like that’s the chance you take hurr sure.

My buddy and I have been after the right Surf diesel 5 speed and it was a 3.5 no marks on the sheet. Inspector came back with basically the entire rear both sides was poorly repaired and ALL bondo and see through paint. It looked spectacular in pics and on sheet. It sold for 618 which is super high for any Surf but probably an unsuspecting PCA customer or something...I wouldn’t have paid 100 for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Okinawa plates, wonder if it's someone in the military getting their car brought over.

Could be, Minden is near Shreveport and their big Air Force base.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The problem I'm running into is if I for example search Toyota for make and ANY for model in the advanced search I can specify down to 1985. But then going through each model one at a time there's a 83 celica, 84 levin, etc. I was able to manually enter the fields the other day but can't remember how I did that now. I'm probably just an idiot, no worries as it gives me something to do.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If I remember correctly the year listed on the auction is the year of first registration not the year of manufacture.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

NitroSpazzz posted:

The problem I'm running into is if I for example search Toyota for make and ANY for model in the advanced search I can specify down to 1985. But then going through each model one at a time there's a 83 celica, 84 levin, etc. I was able to manually enter the fields the other day but can't remember how I did that now. I'm probably just an idiot, no worries as it gives me something to do.

Yeah you can do manual year entry within a particular make but not for all makes :shrug:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Search Toyota any say 1972-1995 don’t pick any conditions etc...

Usually if something is listed before then it will pop up and show say 1942. (A mislist) - 1995. Or a lot of times there is nothing from the 70s up and it will default to earliest up so show you like 1985-1995. Or even on a slow day 1992-1995 for some manufacturers. But you can def search those ranges. I just happen to enter 72 as the earliest but usually if there are tons of listings that day I search all 1985-1995

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You just can’t search all makes at once with those years. It would also be nice if you didn’t have to put any early date in at all.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

You just can’t search all makes at once with those years. It would also be nice if you didn’t have to put any early date in at all.

Oh but yes you can! You have to trick it. I can’t do it on my phone browser but first search Toyota any. Then when those results come up on the left pick any/any and your dates and it will search EVERYTHING. I’ve done this five days a week for 2+ years I promised it works.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

everdave posted:

Oh but yes you can! You have to trick it. I can’t do it on my phone browser but first search Toyota any. Then when those results come up on the left pick any/any and your dates and it will search EVERYTHING. I’ve done this five days a week for 2+ years I promised it works.

Wow awesome thanks that sounds very useful :)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah there are a bunch of weird methods you have to apply to really use the full capacity of the search engine but it's worth figuring it out. I was so drat lost at first.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Search Toyota any say 1972-1995 don’t pick any conditions etc...

Usually if something is listed before then it will pop up and show say 1942. (A mislist) - 1995. Or a lot of times there is nothing from the 70s up and it will default to earliest up so show you like 1985-1995. Or even on a slow day 1992-1995 for some manufacturers. But you can def search those ranges. I just happen to enter 72 as the earliest but usually if there are tons of listings that day I search all 1985-1995

Hey that works pretty good, thanks

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hey that works pretty good, thanks

No problem glad to help. Also another little tip, put 550 in as the lowest CC and you will avoid all the listings of 0 cc which are some days pages and pages of construction equipment and generators and stuff.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Charles posted:

I wish we had a goon doing this In Seattle

If I had the seed money I'd probably give it a try, I want to flip my way in to a Legnum when they become legal.

Of course, in Washington you're limited to 4 vehicles a year until you need to be a dealer and I'm not sure how onerous that process is here.

Alternatively just work with Everdave, it's not like he's that far away from us.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've gotten the idea that you can pretty much register whatever you can get your hands on over there, as long as you've got the money to back it up.

lol, funny you say that, I saw this in the UDX garage when I was there earlier this year

I love how it looks like it's happily leaking oil all over that nice floor.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

MikeyTsi posted:

I love how it looks like it's happily leaking oil all over that nice floor.

It's a Suburban, think great dane puppy that isn't house broken yet.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's a Suburban GMC American Car, think great dane puppy that isn't house broken yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'll have you know that my Japanese cars (in America) are perfectly capable of making a mess on the floor. And do.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, my 2000 4Runner was kinda drooling a little oil and a little trans fluid here and there by the time it hit 343k miles. It’s just rustproofing itself.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well, BAT accepted my Hi Ace fire truck so that is going live in 2 weeks or so. I hope this turns out good for me.

I just can't store this one out in the elements here, and I am not doing anything with this one so we will see where it ends up. Hopefully 2,400 actual miles brand new Toyota will do OK.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

everdave posted:

Well, BAT accepted my Hi Ace fire truck so that is going live in 2 weeks or so. I hope this turns out good for me.

I just can't store this one out in the elements here, and I am not doing anything with this one so we will see where it ends up. Hopefully 2,400 actual miles brand new Toyota will do OK.

I just submitted info for a potential listing yesterday. How long was it between your submission and their acceptance?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kastivich posted:

I just submitted info for a potential listing yesterday. How long was it between your submission and their acceptance?

A few hours, maybe 6

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
If you don't get $$$$ for that fire truck on BaT then I will be confused.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

If you don't get $$$$ for that fire truck on BaT then I will be confused.

Well I am already confused because they just flat out denied my 19k mile Celsior. I kept wondering if it was because I had my Fargo accepted but then that same day someone bought it locally for my full asking price and I had to back out. I have a new account now under my "brand name".

There are no hidden surprises on this truck, this is FANTASTIC, everything works, non smoker fire truck (actually very rare crazy enough) with 2.400 miles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BaT is entirely arbitrary on what they take and don't take. They listed a TJ Wrangler that was only notable for having low mileage and no modifications, but won't take toplitzin's Volvo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Honestly, the fact that the site pivoted to just being a rare car auction site is weird enough for me. I liked when it was simply a whoa, look at this cl ad site.

That said, can't wait to see how the firetruck does!

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

BaT is entirely arbitrary on what they take and don't take. They listed a TJ Wrangler that was only notable for having low mileage and no modifications, but won't take toplitzin's Volvo.

Update. They just rejected my submission. 03 Rubicon with matching offroad trailer. Cleaner with much higher end components than the currently listed TJ that is going for $16k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
BaT is a crapshoot on two counts. One, if they accept whatever it is you are submitting and two, the people actually interested in whatever you are selling.

I don't know what your reserve is, or if you even have one, but I would expect to be disappointed. For every car that does way beyond what it should (that $25k kei fire truck) you have things that flounder.

If I does go well then hell yeah that owns and congratulations are in order. I just unfortunately know more people (including myself :v:) that have been disappointed with BaT for one reason or another.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

BaT is a crapshoot on two counts. One, if they accept whatever it is you are submitting and two, the people actually interested in whatever you are selling.

I don't know what your reserve is, or if you even have one, but I would expect to be disappointed. For every car that does way beyond what it should (that $25k kei fire truck) you have things that flounder.

If I does go well then hell yeah that owns and congratulations are in order. I just unfortunately know more people (including myself :v:) that have been disappointed with BaT for one reason or another.

I am aware of the risks and am scared but moving this will free up space to store 2 campers at the RV storage place if I need to and I can keep everything else at home. Like a desperate dummy I went with no reserve. Scared yes but I know it will sell and it has a lot of strong things going for it...but yes I know intimately about your experiences and what can happen. Sometimes just got to take a chance. I am hoping it finds the right audience...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

I'll have you know that my Japanese cars (in America) are perfectly capable of making a mess on the floor. And do.

Yeah, but what kind of puppy are they most like?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, but what kind of puppy are they most like?

The Outback is definitely a big doofy Lab, not sure on the RX-7. Noisy Chihuahua? Some sort of little yappy annoyance.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
First customer win of 2020 for JCD is yours truly.

Diesel 5 speed Mazda fire truck. 16k miles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hell yes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

First customer win of 2020 for JCD is yours truly.

Diesel 5 speed Mazda fire truck. 16k miles.

As someone who is recently paying attention to this thread, and someone who has been in fire service for decades and on actual truck committees (read: the guy who buys fire trucks) I'd love to know the specs on these little guys. Because there a lot of poor rural fire departments that could use a fast attack pumper or a lot of towns/commercial landscape companies that could use irrigation trucks with pumps.

I just have no idea what this kind of thing costs to get on shore and legal to drive and what it has for a pump/water tank/fuel tank.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
From what I have read, they use a completely different size hose and connection setup rendering it pretty useless without the japanese infrastructure to go with it?

But I don't have any practical experience in this so that's all just what I've read.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I specifically look for ones that are more truck like (meaning I want as much open bed as possible not full of pumps) but you can get them with pumps and such. My hi Ace has a pump attachment in the floor. I see plenty with the hoses and pumps but those are often the bigger full size trucks. But really anything is available I just happen to skip over the ones that are pumpers bc I don’t want to deal with that part. I’m hoping to sell or use more as super low mile well maintained trucks at bargain prices.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Here is the back of the Mazda I just won

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

From what I have read, they use a completely different size hose and connection setup rendering it pretty useless without the japanese infrastructure to go with it?

The Japanese don't use Stortz or NPT of course, but none of that matters with it's a single adapter per "thing" on the truck to make it 'murican threaded. The only "infrastructure" you need past that is standing or pressurized water. And I wouldn't even know if any of these truck are set up with primers to draft standing water - that's part of what I'm asking.

If none of this is a concern of yours then my next question is: what the gently caress are these imported for? Why would anyone buy one?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I believe my Hi Ace has an attachment where you could have a hook up to pick up water and I’m sure lots do.

My feeling is and the secret is you get a religiously maintained truck that has absolutely been babied and stored inside with almost no miles for less than a 200k km rusty something else. My 4 door hi Ace has 2,400 miles and drives like what it is a virtually brand new quad cab Toyota. That has a frame you could eat off of.

Also you don’t have to pay customs duty importing fire equipment. This only saves maybe $200 but it’s something.

Edit: believe it or not it is rare to find a fire truck that hasn’t been smoked heavily in. My Toyota is magnificent and still smells new. I’m sure the Mazda has probably been smoked in but they treat the inside with respect they don’t trash the interior. The wash and polish the vehicles regularly.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 8, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That very question sounds to me like the pumpers might be an even better deal.

e: I would absolutely believe Japanese fire fighters sit on doilies to save the upholstery if someone told me that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

I believe my Hi Ace has an attachment where you could have a hook up to pick up water and I’m sure lots do.

My feeling is and the secret is you get a religiously maintained truck that has absolutely been babied and stored inside with almost no miles for less than a 200k km rusty something else. My 4 door hi Ace has 2,400 miles and drives like what it is a virtually brand new quad cab Toyota. That has a frame you could eat off of.

Also you don’t have to pay customs duty importing fire equipment. This only saves maybe $200 but it’s something.

I feel like I'm missing something. What are these being used for? Parts?

If not, how deep is the market for weird wealthy dudes who have a place to store something like this and........take it to a parade a year? bring it to some super loving weird club meet?

Also, most fire apparatus is low mileage - especially specialty pieces. We have a 1972 dodge power wagon brush truck with under 15k miles on it. Our late 90's Piece ladder truck ($1M+ at the time) hasn't broken 10k miles.

everdave posted:

Edit: believe it or not it is rare to find a fire truck that hasn’t been smoked heavily in. My Toyota is magnificent and still smells new. I’m sure the Mazda has probably been smoked in but they treat the inside with respect they don’t trash the interior. The wash and polish the vehicles regularly.

You don't have to convince someone who has been in the fire service for couple of decades about our smoking habits are or how some departments/areas don't allow it in their trucks.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What my thought is that most will be repurposed as a “normal” truck, or modified as a work truck, or outfitted for camping or overlanding or whatever. Not stay as fire trucks. But I’m just a dude who buys way too many Japanese cars with a vague grasp on what I think I can sell for more money. And that I think are cool.

Maybe if you were In the market for a 4 door diesel truck that was like new what your budget would be, and message me and I’d be glad to tell you what you could get one for. I’d rather not say right now what I paid for this one or my Toyota as it is coming up for sale in a week or so.