Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
No seriously it sucks
Yeah
No it's cool
I have a disability so it's actually pretty great
Stop being such a whiner
View Results

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Pawn 17 posted:

It's not even just that consumers don't know how to secure it. It's also that the companies making "smart" household items NEVER update their firmware and for the most part don't really care about security when they are rushing out products as cheaply as possible. So once an exploit is found it will not be fixed.

So home automation is going to lead to more cyber terrorism, is what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The ring camera disaster happened because people think it’s cool and good to use the same password for all their internet services. The cloud is a pretty stupid idea because you have zero control over your data and the entire world can try to guess your passwords.

At least all my pointless home automation stuff is hidden behind a OpenVPN server that requires you to have both a pre-shared certificate and credentials to minimize the attack surface

Also no cameras in bathrooms and bedrooms please

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are there any home security camera systems worth a toss?

My house is in a kinda not great area but I don't want Goku_Weed69 looking at my butthole while I make my morning booze.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bloom posted:

Yeah it takes multiple seconds to go on youtube and type in what I want to listen to. I just don't have that kind of time to waste with my busy jacking off schedule

Admittedly the setup was quite difficult. Had to plug a cable into my speakers and an another one into the computer

You joke but the more input you remove between wanting to do something and doing something the more people are likely to want to use it. Never underestimate how much people are willing to opt into something for convenience.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You joke but the more input you remove between wanting to do something and doing something the more people are likely to want to use it. Never underestimate how much people are willing to opt into something for convenience.

I guess so yeah. Its just that smart home tech as it is now offers such tiny amounts of convenience that I don't get why anyone does it.

Smart phones at least make sense because they're a significant step up from older tech despite all the spying poo poo

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I don't need the automated turret from Aliens but I want it. Way cooler than some dumb app that turns your lights on.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I got a camera to monitor my house when I'm out, but I don't want it watching my gross stuff I do at home so I got a smart plug, and hooked it up so when my phone detects I'm home it automatically shuts off the camera. Moral is two wrongs actually DO cancel out and make a right

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I don't need the automated turret from Aliens but I want it. Way cooler than some dumb app that turns your lights on.

*Peeks through window and sees minority outside*

"HOUSE! CODEWORD: 'Texas'!!!"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HerniaFlange posted:

A piece of home automation I could get behind is butler robot, I could tell them to bring me a pop or give me a hug because I'm sad or help me build a TV stand or something. I would also be cool with a robot arm that I could mount to my couch and have reach into other rooms and stuff to do things, I mostly just want it so I could pick up and move people who walk in front of the TV though.

Sounds like you just want something to jerk you off.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

*Peeks through window and sees minority outside*

"HOUSE! CODEWORD: 'Texas'!!!"

subtle signs you're in a class traitor's house

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Home automation? Phooey. Just get a gimp.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can open my garage door and let raccoons into my trash cans from 3,000 miles away now who’s stupid OP?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wheres the fuckin Goku option OP?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

Sounds like you just want something to jerk you off.

Listen pal. You're right.

Chinatown posted:

wheres the fuckin Goku option OP?

poo poo, I knew I forgot something. Mods?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I got nest security cameras outside, none inside. The single best thing are garage door openers that I can see if my dumbass, or kids, left a door open and close it remotely . We never use the front door so I don’t bother with a smart lock there.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to do the biggest I Told You dance when the always on microphone recordings in these spy boxes start getting brought into court and ruins lots of suburban idiots lives.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can hit my cat in the face with cat treats while I’m at work

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

lol ok automation is good

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Okay you convinced me, it's good.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

going to hack this one too and keep yelling boom headshot as i enfatten your cats

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

ASenileAnimal posted:

imagine a fully automated home but its groverhaus

Highly illegal

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Tom Gorman posted:

2 things would make me get an Alexa

1) If I could just call it "computer" and then ask a question like captain picard
2) If the device wasn't constantly spying on me

exactly this. I already have a phone and a TV and a laptop doing a lovely job spying on me, I don't need a fine-tuned spy device intentionally listening to every single sound in my house 24/7.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Nest thermostats are genuinely cool as hell and very useful once the unit learns your home and your heating/cooling preferences. You save some solid cash when the thing knows you leave work at 7:30 and turns off the heat, then flips it back on at 4:00 when you're getting home. Most power companies have rebates for buying a smart thermostat too.

I agree that most other smart home stuff is hilariously stupid.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 8, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t want big thermostat knowing when I get home from work and how I like to sleep in the cold. That will just make it easier for the kill bots to find me

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

my favorite is still the $400 juicer that connected to the internet for some reason.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

There was like an 80s movie or something where this architect tries to impress this girl by automating his house controlled by his computer but his computer gets jealous and it turns into some kind of reverse home alone and the name escapes me. Well bye

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Richter Scabies posted:

There was like an 80s movie or something where this architect tries to impress this girl by automating his house controlled by his computer but his computer gets jealous and it turns into some kind of reverse home alone and the name escapes me. Well bye

drat it I know the movie your talking about, that's the one where they play poker with the house robot and it has a robot arm holding the cards up to the room camera, right?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

This is you, alexa people.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Ah, I found the movie about the jealous house AI with the terminator arm mounted to the ceiling! It's called Homewrecker! I hope this doesn't count as :filez: given how old the movie is, also I can't find a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhJnFccTCU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Richter Scabies posted:

Demon Seed (kinda).

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014

Xaintrailles posted:

Demon Seed (kinda).

Electric Dreams (1984)

There's also that Bradbury story ("When Soft Rains Fall"?), about the smart house that keeps taking care of its owners, oblivious to the fact that they're long dead from fallout.

Burglars are learning to cover their faces, which kind of defeats most security cameras. Sure you can get an alert and call 911 but in most places they still have several minutes, which is all they need to get your best stuff.

Scott Lame fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 8, 2020

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Nest thermostats are genuinely cool as hell and very useful once the unit learns your home and your heating/cooling preferences. You save some solid cash when the thing knows you leave work at 7:30 and turns off the heat, then flips it back on at 4:00 when you're getting home. Most power companies have rebates for buying a smart thermostat too.

I agree that most other smart home stuff is hilariously stupid.

The flip side of this is my dumb rear end. I bought one, not realizing I have a stay at home mom wife and two kids under two in the house. Our best has basically learned to always keep the house at 72, all the time.

God forbid my wife need to wear a sweater.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

celewign posted:

The flip side of this is my dumb rear end. I bought one, not realizing I have a stay at home mom wife and two kids under two in the house. Our best has basically learned to always keep the house at 72, all the time.

God forbid my wife need to wear a sweater.

If that's how you two raise your thermostat, imagine how your kids will turn out. They will also always be 72, your children will soon be very old for forever.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Frankenstyle posted:

I never lose my phone because the house finds it

Okay, against my better judgement, I'll ask: is this a trollpost or is there actually a home automation component that will do this, because it would almost be worth installing for my wife, alone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

null_pointer posted:

Okay, against my better judgement, I'll ask: is this a trollpost or is there actually a home automation component that will do this, because it would almost be worth installing for my wife, alone.

You can do it with any Alexa device and this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Connect-requires-compatible-Alexa-enabled/dp/B076ZRFP6Y/

You just say "call my phone" and it knows based on your voice which phone to ring.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Scott Lame posted:

Electric Dreams (1984)

There's also that Bradbury story ("When Soft Rains Fall"?), about the smart house that keeps taking care of its owners, oblivious to the fact that they're long dead from fallout.

Burglars are learning to cover their faces, which kind of defeats most security cameras. Sure you can get an alert and call 911 but in most places they still have several minutes, which is all they need to get your best stuff.

It was electric dreams!

I looked a little into getting a ring camera since I had a package stolen, but have heard that they're actually trash.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tom Gorman posted:

2 things would make me get an Alexa

1) If I could just call it "computer" and then ask a question like captain picard
2) If the device wasn't constantly spying on me

Supposedly you can hack your Alexa to keep it from spying on your Jo sessions and change its name to computer with this thing called project alias

https://www.instructables.com/id/Project-Alias/

Too me, it seems like a lot of effort/money just to make Alexa good.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You can do it with any Alexa device and this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Connect-requires-compatible-Alexa-enabled/dp/B076ZRFP6Y/

You just say "call my phone" and it knows based on your voice which phone to ring.

I can find my phone, her phone, and can call anyone on our phone's contacts without the extra device. Maybe it's a 3rd generation thing? I didn't know there was such a thing as the echo connect, and looking at it maybe the only thing it would do is let me answer incoming calls with a voice command, but I may be able to do that too considering I can make outgoing calls by voice.

null_pointer posted:

is this a trollpost

No I was being totally sincere. This poo poo is super handy, and just because loads of people don't recognize it's versatility beyond playing music doesn't make it less handy. I left out a bunch of poo poo like the time I muted my phone and my wife had car trouble at like 3AM. She didn't know how to drop in intercom style, or how to call directly through Alexa, but she did start turning lights and poo poo on and off which clued me in to checking my phone.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 8, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hmm op right, but I'm still considering a Google nexus. I feel like trying to consolidate what corporation spies on me in theory but its probably all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
For my part, id like a robot to suck me off at exactly 11 pm each night. Sort of like a Roomba with a flexible arm that ends in a autoblow. It'd be nice if it cleaned itself as well. Really though I'm good with it having a cunpartment i could empty out every other week