Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

Didn't some game do a blink mechanic at some point?

Seems like a very David Cage/Chris Roberts thing to do.

There's an SCP game that has a blink mechanic

Its a free indie mod and its pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Blink is a very fun and core ability in Dishonored.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Seems like kidney failure is a bit of an issue with cats. We lost one of ours in the summer to it. Wife wanted to do everything possible to keep it alive (it was "her" cat) and we were doing infusions every day and tests, but in the end it became clear we were just delaying the inevitable and causing the cat more pain.

As an aside, went to our vet to give a new year present and in return she offered us a stray that she had taken in. A beautiful ginger and white siberian. Its huuuge! Like Maine Coon sized.

Don't have a photo to hand, but its a bit like this, but more ginger.

Take good care of your new catte :3:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Edit: wrong thread oops. For that content let me just add that CIG? They're bad.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Anticheese posted:

Blink is a very fun and core ability in Dishonored.

It was not originally, it was part of the skill tree and you where supposed to be able to finish the game without it. But the devs realized it was to good and made it a core skill.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

E: thought I was in the Stadia thread for some reason

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 8, 2020

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

In my amazing post-pocolypse event is like to say I wish I was the fly on the wall when the CryTek guys realized CIG had to release the game before they had something they could bank on a lawsuit better.

The many tables that were thrown over that day is probably pretty high. For days. Just some guys coming in, and starting to flip tables where people are working and stuff, raging about deadlines and development practices that CIG can't seem to manage like even a third rate Russian game from some guy named Dimitri and made inside his garage.

Get there expecting to some sort of functional product as they have been advertising it for release 2020

Then walk out trying to find a way to sue a bunch of uni students dicking around with spaceship models in a happhazard fashion...

There is no game, no launcher, no finished levels no plan commercial game development going on. Just a bunch of art work being viewed in cry engine.

The Byzantine accounting system probably has it all blurred together so they cant even work how much they have spent on which project.

Early days.

#Teir0lawsuit

BigTeddyBear
Jul 21, 2017
I just hope that this poo poo show goes to trial and co-robbers get's fired

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Goes to jail for defrauding the his majesties revenue service out of tax credits.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Anyone have the previous official CIG roadmap handy? I'd like to compare the last officially released roadmap to the new one and see how disparate they are, my guess is >50% of the previous roadmaps tickets won't even show up on the new map.

poo poo this one they made up nearly 3 loving years ago gives you an idea oh how much they make up to please the backers https://massivelyop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/starcitizen.png

edit heres the november 2019 https://i.imgur.com/pSxSBVb.jpg and the december 2019 https://dto9r5vaiz7bu.cloudfront.net/1bp6m7bowsnz6/hub_large.jpg ones

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 8, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BigTeddyBear posted:

I just hope that this poo poo show goes to trial and co-robbers get's fired

I fear before that happens, he gets another guiness book entry.

After "largest crowdfunding budget ever" to "largest game budget ever that didn't produce a game"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

For the recap:

yes I'm still making them but haven't published any since November or so. Need to get on it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Interesting view by UK´s TaxWatch about how multinational video game companies farm the UK tax credits in a similar way to CIG, declare a no profit end of the year (main client is the foreign parent company so the profits can actually be tailored as necessary) and receive full 25% of core costs as subsidy, basically.

https://www.mcvuk.com/tax-watch-uk-calls-out-rocksteady-and-creative-assembly-for-playing-the-system-for-video-game-tax-relief/

If SQ42 gets re absorbed by SC, the CI(G) company that manages it would at the very least need to become UK based.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Why are CIG tagging their videos as content for children?

:reddit: Anyone notice youtube comments are disabled on the Star Citizen channel?

:shrug: hadn't noticed. Maybe to stop speculation around the latest Crytek news and the attempt to temporarily dismiss their own case?

:argh: They must have gotten bored of the scam accusations drowning out any meaningful comments.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Regrettable posted:

E: thought I was in the Stadia thread for some reason

How is it doing? Will it be cancelled before sq54 releases?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

How is it doing? Will it be cancelled before sq54 releases?

Trick question, the universe will be cancelled before sq58 releases.

(personally I think Stadia will pull a google+ "mission accomplished" before it's quietly put to sleep)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Answer the call 2026!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
SC is back on the Wikipedia list of expensive games.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

(personally I think Stadia will pull a google+ "mission accomplished" before it's quietly put to sleep)

Stadia really blew it with its dumb business model that’s a hybrid of a subscription and buying individual games, and all of corner cutting by a company that has more money than god. But video game streaming is still circling the same target as it was in the early in 2010’s. There has been a long line of failed services stretching back for years.l, and none of them have been able to solve the fundamental problems sufficiently to be successful in a mass market.

Shadow has come pretty close. It’s basically a fully functional gaming pc running on a remote server, so you can install anything you want on it. While the video quality is excellent and it scales well with different internet speeds, it still has a myriad of technical issues, plus the ever present problem of latency. So much gaming revolves around e-sports and twitchy shooters these days, and even in slower paced single player games, the latency is an ever present issue.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

Trick question, the universe will be cancelled before sq58 releases.

What was the google+'s mission? Fail miserably? Maybe I'm wrong because I avoid all these social networks, but every time I followed some link to google+ page it was either empty or had like 2 friends

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Oh look. The creators of “Its always Sunny in Philadelphia” are making a TV parody revolving around CIG and Star Citizen. It’s even got the lovely Mo-Cap scenes!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaPCYRPhY0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SabinBlitz posted:

Oh look. The creators of “Its always Sunny in Philadelphia” are making a TV parody revolving around CIG and Star Citizen. It’s even got the lovely Mo-Cap scenes!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaPCYRPhY0

More Garriott than Crobbers, but it looks fun.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beexoffel posted:

That's the list it keeps getting pulled from by wikipedia editors isn't it? Because its only for release games?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

colonelwest posted:

...latency is an ever present issue.

In everything. Back in 2012, AOL's CTO was really interested in OnLive and their virtual desktop offering, which was effectively just surfacing the Citrix thing. Kept pointing out that latency is a thing that is entirely separated from bandwidth.

commando in tophat posted:

What was the google+'s mission? Fail miserably? Maybe I'm wrong because I avoid all these social networks, but every time I followed some link to google+ page it was either empty or had like 2 friends

Add to the crowded space at the time; they were hoping for volunteer temporal data to add to the email corpus, but managed to completely gently caress up the psychological pulls and any relevant 'stickiness'. The product launched without tools to work with multiple social media streams, and missed a trick in straight up aggregation, but Facebook pulled it's early APIs and did a bunch of walled garden poo poo.

Google Wave was even worse. Precursor to google docs that allowed people to collaborate on documents, but lacked the tight integration. The first step after they bought 'writely'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

That's the list it keeps getting pulled from by wikipedia editors isn't it? Because its only for release games?

The 'history' tab shows all the edits and reasoning; SC's back down to third place.

"Revert. Entry is questionable, but using the financial statement is required. The funding goals are NOT the same as budget spent."

The edits reverted changing the amount from 260 million to 249+ million, and that someone linked to the funding goals rather than the actual statement.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

There's a desperation to get Star Citizen on any list that has the word "video games" in the title, even if that list has negative connotations. Star Citizen is not a video game, nor is it likely to ever release, so it doesn't belong on any "video game" list until it becomes one and comes out.

It's the same presumption of success that launched this dumpster fire in the first place. "In production" in no way implies the game will release, and the chance of failure hits 100% if Chris Roberts is involved.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beexoffel posted:

need to adjust the cost for inflation since it's been 8 years

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What about RDR2?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

tuo posted:

What about RDR2?

I would guess that Rockstar hasn't shared the development costs of that game publicly so they don't have a confirmed figure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I would guess that Rockstar hasn't shared the development costs of that game publicly so they don't have a confirmed figure.

It sickens me on the lack of transparency.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello
  • Germany is expected to give over $10m in tax credits to F42 in 2020(1?) alone
  • costs continue to rise and studios continue to expand which promote higher tax incentives
  • "You can make money from failure. Thank the taxpayers for keeping us alive and investment spry."
  • a new hire is expected to be an "expert" in less than 12 weeks from hire date
  • confusion about what exactly management does or what newly hired "leads" do
  • "rudderless" direction until "last second" changes, including art and design
  • due to this, programmers create shortcuts that will be "fixed later"
  • if those programmers leave, it causes massive confusion within the team as they try and piece together solutions
  • this happens "often" but should be "eased" in 2020 due to new 3rd party help from an outside firm
  • this help involves a custom built CE toolset, better regs and code oversight
  • "This isn't something everyone is happy about."
  • this includes "dailies-like" bi-monthly updates to top brass and outside firm
  • the sq42 visual teaser shown xmas day was one of these
  • updates consist of three "courses": gameplay, in-game visuals and cutscenes
  • supposedly SQ42 content is already in SC - mission givers like miles eckhart are considered SQ42 NPCs
  • huge issue when the 3rd party played a recent SC patch (3.8?)
  • "They were surprised because [CR? ER?] gave them the impression of a fully-functioning game with little-to-no bugs."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It sickens me on the lack of transparency.

AGREED!

Come join me on every site even remotely related to RDR2 where we can leave heated remarks about how unacceptable it is and that everyone in their right mind has only one proper reaction!

BUY AN IDRIS

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Germany is expected to give over $10m in tax credits to F42 in 2020(1?) alone
  • costs continue to rise and studios continue to expand which promote higher tax incentives
  • "You can make money from failure. Thank the taxpayers for keeping us alive and investment spry."
  • a new hire is expected to be an "expert" in less than 12 weeks from hire date
  • confusion about what exactly management does or what newly hired "leads" do
  • "rudderless" direction until "last second" changes, including art and design
  • due to this, programmers create shortcuts that will be "fixed later"
  • if those programmers leave, it causes massive confusion within the team as they try and piece together solutions
  • this happens "often" but should be "eased" in 2020 due to new 3rd party help from an outside firm
  • this help involves a custom built CE toolset, better regs and code oversight
  • "This isn't something everyone is happy about."
  • this includes "dailies-like" bi-monthly updates to top brass and outside firm
  • the sq42 visual teaser shown xmas day was one of these
  • updates consist of three "courses": gameplay, in-game visuals and cutscenes
  • supposedly SQ42 content is already in SC - mission givers like miles eckhart are considered SQ42 NPCs
  • huge issue when the 3rd party played a recent SC patch (3.8?)
  • "They were surprised because [CR? ER?] gave them the impression of a fully-functioning game with little-to-no bugs."

as much as i love it where does this come from

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Outside firm? This must be something imposed by Calder investment right? There's no way crobbers would go for 3rd party oversight without a big stick forcing him to.

I operate on the assumption that all Agent leaks are 100% true because it's funnier that way.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

hello

supposedly SQ42 content is already in SC - mission givers like miles eckhart are considered SQ42 NPCs

When is SQ42 released? :(

You're already playing it :smuggo:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

as much as i love it where does this come from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF27OkaFkE

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is it Turbulent?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sandweed posted:

Is it Turbulent?

I don't think they're a game design company, right?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Obsidian Ant trying to understand Sq42 development: "What the HECK Is Going On With This Game? The Curious Case of Squadron 42"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwr5zYCwuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

More Garriott than Crobbers, but it looks fun.

Yeah, or really more Romero / Blesinski