Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jewel Repetition posted:

Really the only problem I could see with elections is defining who is a citizen of the board and who isn't

borders are an imperialist fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A normal person hears "I'm keeping tabs on nazi posters and their activities" and their immediate follow up would be, "cool, then you know who we should ban then?"

Instead they've accepted a trickle of info for God knows how long, and nowhere along this process did anyone think to ask what kind of actual moderation was gonna get done about it?
also a normal person does not say "I'm keeping tabs on nazi posters and their activities" followed with "by hanging out and being friends with them on discord"

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

razorrozar posted:

my thoughts regarding NYC is that someone dragged them in to do probations for "mod sass" or whatever without telling them what was really going on, to give the userbase the impression that the mods were a unified front

I believe this because he stopped before getting more than 5 pages into the thread, and because Jeffrey was willing to roll back the probes without much fuss

But gently caress the mods on principle, they knew

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

an actual dog posted:

I say this with all sincerity: ban all links to discord on the something awful forums.

Grymauch
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Close fyad
Close gip
Close cspam
Close tgrs
Entropy reigns

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really hope there is at least one mod who's legitimately scared this was allowed to happen.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
mod snoo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.
Actually isn't this closer to a modern aatrek instead of a modern grover(haus) because c-spam has not (yet) gotten the boot for this

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

JuulPodSaveAmerica posted:

It's September 11th, 2012, I'm watching Benghazi take out a D&D mod

It's January 8th, 2020, I'm watching Benghazi take out a D&D mod

:yeah:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

an actual dog posted:

I say this with all sincerity: ban all links to discord on the something awful forums.

Dismantle the GDN and decentralize it all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i dont understand what happened here and i read these forums like, all day

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Booourns posted:

to be fair i'm pretty sure ppj was elected to be a thread specific IK and not a mod and maybe people would have voted differently if they knew that they would eventually get to be mod

Nah, there is a substantial population of aggrieved D&D liberals who were really outraged that any leftist opinion was being tolerated at all. They haven't been as visible lately but they exist and really wanted someone to keep discussions in their favorite threads very narrowly focused. There was a time when the dominant complaints in QCS were about the so called "nothing matters" brigade.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

i dont understand what happened here and i read these forums like, all day

scratch a liberal and a nazi bleeds as personified through D&D moderators

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LMFAO at more embarrassing discord poo poo. You gamers sure live to chat.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah PPJ was elected specifically to mod the way he did.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

can we not rope in mods we have no reason to believe aren't also victims of PPJ's breach of trust, thanks

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Mods behaving like corporate leadership where they all have to go away and come up with a standard line to sell to everyone is part of the loving problem, and the fact that they can't see it is gobsmacking. Squizzle coming to the thread yesterday and saying "We're working on a long post bare with us" is what the problem actually is you maroons.

KM is cool, LK is cool, Squizzle is my posting pal and I'm sure he will be cool. They're people who engage at a personal level in their communities and pretty obviously don't see themselves as "leadership." They serve the people who they moderate and are flexible and welcoming to members of their community. No one should be run out for bad judgment as long as the community that they help steward views the lapse in judgment as understandable and supports them through it. That's the loving point.

Being an admin of a dead comedy forum is not being an executive, and if you treat it like it is, you're part of the problem.

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

lol

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

lol goldmine

Grymauch
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading cspam is like reading The Wave but with Stalin instead of Hitler and it owns

Strength Through Community

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
lol it kinda just hit me that PPJ is gone from the mod team

can't believe we're actually making progress

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

EorayMel posted:

What do you think PPJ is doing right now, at this very moment

shooting the poo poo with some friends

1. unban all cspam political prisoners
2. make cspam a separate forum/subforum/whatever
3. unban and reinstate homework explainer

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schnorkles posted:

Squizzle coming to the thread yesterday and saying "We're working on a long post bare with us"

that this ended up being the ppj post was wonderful

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor Jeep posted:

shooting the poo poo with some friends

1. unban all cspam political prisoners
2. make cspam a separate forum/subforum/whatever
3. unban and reinstate homework explainer

Also get rid of homework in schools it's priced to be a waste of time

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

can we not rope in mods we have no reason to believe aren't also victims of PPJ's breach of trust, thanks

the mods were either totally cool with him being a nazi or are massive idiots and either way they should gently caress off forever

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I don't think all the mods knew and those who did were suckered into dumb poo poo by PPJ. But this has to be a wakeup call about how bad everything is. PPJ got away with harassing leftists and the marginalized while also convincing a few specific people he was the only one who could keep them safe. This also all happened while the forums melted down about not taking the strong stance of "bigots bad" and letting even more people get harassed.

all I'll say is that I HOPE the final conclusion from this, the thing people take away from this, is that sometimes people you like can be snookered into stupid scams by bad people and can let incredibly bad things happen because of it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

gently caress off, rear end in a top hat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

Mods behaving like corporate leadership where they all have to go away and come up with a standard line to sell to everyone is part of the loving problem, and the fact that they can't see it is gobsmacking. Squizzle coming to the thread yesterday and saying "We're working on a long post bare with us" is what the problem actually is you maroons.

KR is cool, LK is cool, Squizzle is my posting pal and I'm sure he will be cool. They're people who engage at a personal level in their communities and pretty obviously don't see themselves as "leadership." They serve the people who they moderate and are flexible and welcoming to members of their community. No one should be run out for bad judgment as long as the community that they help steward views the lapse in judgment as understandable and supports them through it. That's the loving point.

Being an admin of a dead comedy forum is not being an executive, and if you treat it like it is, you're part of the problem.

I'm scared of how smart the plane is but you should listen to this.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CYBEReris posted:

Lol all the mods are complicit shut the gently caress up

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CascadeBeta posted:

gently caress off, rear end in a top hat.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

asecondduck posted:

Excellent points, all. Here's an amended version:

Remember, CSPAM's current goals are:

1. Free Crazy Cloud, Benghazi 2, Lastgirl, Scoops, and any other political prisoners, and get a full explanation on *gestures all around*
2. Make CSPAM a top-level forum with our own mods
3. Reopen QCS, because CSPAM is getting clogged with bullshit and all we want to do is tarmp
4. Get some actual representation on the mod team and not just the absolute bare minimum
5. Goldmine last night's threads because they're the funniest the Something Awful Internet Comedy Forums have been in a long loving time

Anything that isn't related to those things is wasted energy and antipraxis

Five key demands, not one less

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the mods were either totally cool with him being a nazi or are massive idiots and either way they should gently caress off forever

do you expect them to have the time and energy to watch the watchman and follow him into those nazi discords or what? he was manipulative and provided information on stalkers that would help her, she had no reason to believe this wasn't all that he was doing.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
So is this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802&userid=0&perpage=40 thread the thread that is being referred to in the OP because if so then that's where the thread is (click the link)

Or is there another thread? If so, please summarize that thread for us who were at the gym

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

The poll plane is correct.

Ideally mods would be fellow users who are trusted to make sure things don't get too personally aggressive and to protect against gross nonsense.

but also, generally, I'm not seething at the existing mods. people who post here are mostly cool.

Just free our friends and don't let it happen again?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Bunch of poo poo stirrers with an agenda keep coming in here to literally victim blame an abuse victim from this, to which I can only repeat: gently caress off.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

freckle posted:

that this ended up being the ppj post was wonderful

what a post, holy poo poo

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Minrad posted:

lol it kinda just hit me that PPJ is gone from the mod team

can't believe we're actually making progress

I can't believe it took THIS to finally get rid of him. People here and even in D&D were calling for him to be gone for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grymauch
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CascadeBeta posted:

Bunch of poo poo stirrers with an agenda keep coming in here to literally victim blame an abuse victim from this, to which I can only repeat: gently caress off.

Hey di you still want to close gip I'm down gently caress the troops

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)