Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I literally had someone do this once (albeit on a Blackberry, not a laptop). Needless to say, it did not last long, and there was no second date.

Star Wars featuring beloved character "Snaggletooth"

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Karma Tornado posted:

I realize nothing in that strip works the way it's presented but I'd love to know why pheromones turn rats into rabbits and skunks into also rabbits
Because it makes them smell like rabbits, and also apparently nobody in this world can use their eyes to see that the visuals don't match the smell.\

they can see well enough to drive cars and use computers and poo poo, though. :thunk:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 15, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 26-27, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 27-28, 2015)

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

nothin' beats rock

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

There's no English wiki page for Horn, but he was the king's teacher/adviser and about 50 years old at this point.

We saw Kreeta and Johannes about 150 strips ago. Kreeta was Bernhard's first love and Johannes her nerdy suitor, who was with the bailiff when the peasants attacked his house.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Zereth posted:

Because it makes them smell like rabbits, and also apparently nobody in this world can use their eyes to see that the visuals don't match the smell.\

they can see well enough to drive cars and use computers and poo poo, though. :thunk:

I knew the answer would be both dumber than I expected and also dependent on deep comic strip lore

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, Ed's license plate. Random gibberish or hidden meaning?

possible meanings: RGB color that is essentially black, 26, 1A

first amendment?

Ed's a Binar?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Bloop posted:

So, Ed's license plate. Random gibberish or hidden meaning?

possible meanings: RGB color that is essentially black, 26, 1A

first amendment?

Ed's a Binar?

"The cops will never know if they are I or 1 and O or 0!"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Buckle up, folks, looks like we're in for a week or so of "cutesy kid mispronounces old person thing."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

"The cops will never know if they are I or 1 and O or 0!"

That's actually clever but doesn't seem like Ed

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

No wait hold on

Can this guy read minds? Because his plan as described is

- Send e-mail saying "I know your deepest fear"
- Recipient of e-mail thinks "How could they know I fear (x)?"
- Guy, having learned the deepest fear, proceeds to act it out

The second point would require him to be able to read minds.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

No he uses computers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok that his hacking can make someone's computer project multiple perfect 3D images though

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Watch yer back Bets. They're gonna dump you into the same limbo as Delta and Rosa...

I love the Evans' SKelly-esque commitment to writing their protagonists out to be sociopathic assholes and thinking to themselves, "YEAH! These are the good guys!" :D

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

I'm kinda impressed that Hollbrook has enough crazy to fuel three separate strips with a steady flow of stupid jokes, tortured visual metaphors, and insane word-salad continuity that would make Francis E Dec blush.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That's actually clever but doesn't seem like Ed

No, it's exactly the sort of thing a Boomer would read on Facebook and implement without any thought.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars featuring beloved character "Snaggletooth"

Actually that is Snag Toothle and his EU backstory is as follows(1/438):

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

coronatae posted:

Some things haven't changed in 20 years

Well see, half the buildings were really old back in the late 80s and were heated with boilers. The temperature of a room would vary from comfortable to tropical. If you lived in an apartment or dorm near the campus you could endure a little cold so you could wear clothing appropriate for the rooms.

source - Went to college at the U of M in the late 80s.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

They're cosplaying, which maybe, just maybe might involve striking poses appropriate to the characters, but that doesn't matter to LuBer, I guess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

fondue posted:

Well see, half the buildings were really old back in the late 80s and were heated with boilers. The temperature of a room would vary from comfortable to tropical. If you lived in an apartment or dorm near the campus you could endure a little cold so you could wear clothing appropriate for the rooms.

source - Went to college at the U of M in the late 80s.

Sure, but that picture is from 2019. I'm just tickled that Boondocks provided early documentation of a weird white boy flex that continues to this very day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This aged poorly, quickly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

root posted:

I love the Evans' SKelly-esque commitment to writing their protagonists out to be sociopathic assholes and thinking to themselves, "YEAH! These are the good guys!" :D
I think that more than any other creators, I'd love to see the Evans try to defend their main characters to anyone who isn't one of their Gocomics comment section inmates.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Calvin's Dad is a breath of fresh air compared to the average comic strip dad. His "how the world works" strips are the best.

Also the new thread title. :3:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Hey I thought merpeople were from Mars!

No, one of the completely bizarre plot points of this comic is that some alien creature started on Venus, I guess abandoned it when it became uninhabitable(?), stopped by on Earth (and apparently hosed some humans to make mermaids(?)), and then traveled to Mars to start a new civilization. Which was prompted wiped out when Mars became sentient and deliberately killed them all with their own machines.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

I've decided that unless this arc is actually interesting somehow or unless there's a surprise contingent of people really into modern Tracy, I'm going to stop posting it after this arc. This isn't even bad in a fun to hate way, it's just boring. There's only so many times I can make fun of the stories getting constantly sidetracked by Flintheart bullshit before it gets old.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

A deeply bus-centric Bad Machinery today, inspired by my first visit to Hemel Hempstead as a driver. I'm lucky to be alive.
I've actually survived a similar roundabout in Swindon. The horror...the horror...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

But...but what about how important Theater is...what about Our Town?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I've actually survived a similar roundabout in Swindon. The horror...the horror...

You got to drive on The Magic Roundabout ?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I've been very low key fascinated by Metropolis for years, and, while there's a good chance that this story goes someplace completely bonkers, I'm not sure I trust the current Dick Tracy writers to go there, or if they do, to not just switch to a different story half way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I've decided that unless this arc is actually interesting somehow or unless there's a surprise contingent of people really into modern Tracy, I'm going to stop posting it after this arc. This isn't even bad in a fun to hate way, it's just boring. There's only so many times I can make fun of the stories getting constantly sidetracked by Flintheart bullshit before it gets old.
Feel free to not give it the benefit of doubt and stop right away, for my money. :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weembles posted:

You got to drive on The Magic Roundabout ?

I did! I think my driving instructor actually took me there to learn once, the absolute madman.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
December 12 + 13, 1980

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

trying to decide if i want to take up posting dick tracy or not, bc I want to see it but I already hate posting Garfield

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i feel like i have enough cops in my life

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Garfield from November 7, 2004. If I have to look at it, so do you.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
From what I can tell as my eyes skim past it, modern Dick Tracy is a strip about a 90 year old community theater actor who is married to a woman some 60 to 70 years his junior; on occasion the titular cop comes through and shoots somebody

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I read modern Tracy in these threads because I’m fascinated by the different ways they keep messing up their arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Modern Dick Tracy has just completely lost the thread and I don't understand why they think they need to keep going back to the stupid theatre. I really am disappointed, because pretty much up until the surprise anti-Semitism arc I thought they were doing pretty good, and since then it's just meandering into nothing.