Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mossyfisk posted:

Honestly I'd just have Lews on-screen for when he's talking. It gives you more options for performance and lets you do the classic "cut to a bystander's perspective where he's shouting at nothing" trick.

Head Six stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno there'd be no ambiguity whether Rand is mad or not if it's more then a voice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

H Jon Benjamin.

LANA ILYENA!!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Martin Freeman for Lews Therin.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whether it's a disembodied voice or not, I think it can't be anyone Super Famous because I'll just hear Archer screaming or Red from Shawshank Redemption etc. :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

LANA ILYENA!!

danger zone

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkHorse posted:

danger zone

A bunch of nobles keeping up fragile smiles as Rand yells this at no one

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Imagine this scene, if you will

5 minutes of Rand talking to no-one, while marshalling his multi-nation forces for an assault on the entrenched army of a Forsaken

*looks over at a mustachioed general*

"I'm not mad yet"

*general, sweating through his powder, nods nervously*

Now, think about if any of the suggestions for how to depict Lews Therin improve on that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lews Therin should be there as a cartoony dragon that only Rand can see.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Lews Therin should be there as a cartoony dragon that only Rand can see.

Happy! meets WoT

I'm down

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s just the dragon from Mulan still voiced by Eddie Murphy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s just the dragon from Mulan still voiced by Eddie Murphy.

I had the same thought.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Is there a dragon in the new Mulan, I saw a trailer but wasn't sure there could/will be.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'd actually be happy if they don't immediately throw the EotW prologue into ep 1. EotW gets going pretty fast, with a lot of characters to meet immediately in Emond's Field. Having a prologue throwing two insanely important insane characters giving insanely important exposition would make the first episode too dense.

I think it'd be better a couple eps in, at a slower point (maybe on the ferry?) when Moiraine or Thom are talking to the boys. Maybe have them give a bit of history about LTT and then Rand gets a flashback/ivision of LTT's last minutes before dragonmount.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wouldn't mind horribly if they made the prologue into one of his nightmares

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It would make sense as a nightmare with one of Thom's stories setting up some of the background so it doesn't feel too infodumpy

Billy Zane should still be there though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I wouldn't mind horribly if they made the prologue into one of his nightmares

yeah, you could also not tell the entire story from the prologue and make it shorter and less explained by making it more of a nightmare

then give a full version later on with the reveal that it's 100% real

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

eke out posted:

yeah, you could also not tell the entire story from the prologue and make it shorter and less explained by making it more of a nightmare

then give a full version later on with the reveal that it's 100% real

Yeah. Repeated nightmares about killing himself to make Dragonmount without context, and then when Rand kinda realizes he is the Dragon late in S1 he recalls the madness and the dialogue Ishamael gives. Maybe connect Ishamael to Baalzamon then too.

Lots of good ways to do this, better than exposition dumping in the prologue.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Easy answer. Release the prologue separately on youtube and prime weeks/months before the show comes out to build buzz. There's probably a couple of other scenes you could do that way too. Then you can keep the show focus on the main cast without confusing casual watchers. Especially if they are going to squeeze in some of New Spring.

I really want to see the prologue done well as its part of what makes WOT stand out for me. That, how the Aiel are handled, and Mat in general as a character are the most important, since the rest is relatively easy not to flub if they can make the magic and fighting look good on their budget.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do we even know anything about the people making it? do they have anything worth a poo poo to their name? i think a lot of it will come down to whoever is in charge, and there's a lot of good ways to handle it as long as they're smart about it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think you need to start with the Prologue because without that, being The Dragon Reborn would come across like this cool fantasy chosen one thing, the way it would be in any other story. The prologue sets things up so that you understand that Rand is the reincarnation of the end of the Beast that’s ends the world.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Johnny Joestar posted:

do we even know anything about the people making it? do they have anything worth a poo poo to their name? i think a lot of it will come down to whoever is in charge, and there's a lot of good ways to handle it as long as they're smart about it.

the showrunner was on survivor!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Brolander posted:

the showrunner was on survivor!

Did they win?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think you need to start with the Prologue because without that, being The Dragon Reborn would come across like this cool fantasy chosen one thing, the way it would be in any other story. The prologue sets things up so that you understand that Rand is the reincarnation of the end of the Beast that’s ends the world.
That just doesn't get transmitted well upon initial introduction. The prologue breaks down to "man is crazy, apparently killed his wife, bad guy mocks him, then he does something big".

All the other stuff you talk about, the endless cycles and whatnot, would either be awkward expositioning during that scene or a lady galadriel-esque monologue dumping backstory go the audience immediately thereafter. And if you go the latter route you don't even need the prologue scene to play out, you could describe it roughly and then show it later.

The prologue is weird in that it gets more important the further you get into the series, and it's at it's least important as an intro, except to intrigue the reader. And I think the reader is easier to work with than the show watcher as far as that goes.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, I think that works fine. You set up this fantasy story with pretty strong LOTR elements, Rand seems like the hero but uh oh looks like he's actually the reincarnation of the dude that pretty much hosed the world over by saving it.

If we're getting 10 eps and the last one is the showdown at the Green Man's spot then do the prologue as a cold open to that episode. Really show how things got so messed up and hint at how outmatched the heroes are against the Shadow.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vavrek posted:

Did they win?

Third place after some poor decisions.

He worked on My Own Worst Enemy (Christian Slater), Chuck season 3, Hemlock Grove and seasons 1 and 2 of Marvel's Agents of Shield.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just have a hard time believing wot can succeed as a show.

I've long had a theory that doorstopper fantasy like wot became popular due to the rise of television; if you wanted something long and immersive, something that took a month rather than a few hours, you needed a book, not a TV show or movie.

I feel like so much of the value of wot comes from things that will be hard to bring to the screen; the huge depth, the details, the internal monologues, etc. Things like Mat shifting his word choice when speaking in the Old Tongue without realizing it, etc.

I am *probably * wrong. But my fear is that if you strip out the text and leave just the story, all you have is a fairly generic fantasy bildungsroman, Hercules or Xena with "trollocs". And if that's all there is, it won't be good.

OTOH this would be a great time for "are we the baddies?: fantasy version" to get some traction. If they get that WoT is a post Vietnam narrative and develop it with that consciousness then it has a chance to be genuinely good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've long had a theory that doorstopper fantasy like wot became popular due to the rise of television; if you wanted something long and immersive, something that took a month rather than a few hours, you needed a book, not a TV show or movie.

I feel like so much of the value of wot comes from things that will be hard to bring to the screen; the huge depth, the details, the internal monologues, etc. Things like Mat shifting his word choice when speaking in the Old Tongue without realizing it, etc.

I am *probably * wrong. But my fear is that if you strip out the text and leave just the story, all you have is a fairly generic fantasy bildungsroman, Hercules or Xena with "trollocs". And if that's all there is, it won't be good.

OTOH this would be a great time for "are we the baddies?: fantasy version" to get some traction. If they get that WoT is a post Vietnam narrative and develop it with that consciousness then it has a chance to be genuinely good.
I want Legion set in a fantasy adventure world.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think that's what Wizard's First Law turned into, although the show was better than the books at that point.

I have read ideas from people on how you could do things like Mat changing languages that made sense to me, so people have thought about it and I think it's worth a shot at least. Maybe it'll fall apart but maybe not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Witcher was just Xena with a big budget and a production team that clearly really cared about nailing the tone and while it wasn't revolutionary it was really fun and good.

e: also, in re-reading it is insane how many paragraphs upon paragraphs are spent describing cloths, buildings, rooms, and furniture. It's loving nuts. In the show its going to just be...a dress. Or a table. Even if the costumes and props are 100% hand crafted recreations of their book descriptions spare no expense they're still just going to be a minor and unremarkable thing in the show.

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 10, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

How are u posted:

The Witcher was just Xena with a big budget and a production team that clearly really cared about nailing the tone and while it wasn't revolutionary it was really fun and good.

e: also, in re-reading it is insane how many paragraphs upon paragraphs are spent describing cloths, buildings, rooms, and furniture. It's loving nuts. In the show its going to just be...a dress. Or a table. Even if the costumes and props are 100% hand crafted recreations of their book descriptions spare no expense they're still just going to be a minor and unremarkable thing in the show.

Sounds like you don't have enough of an opinion on flowing lace!

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How are u posted:

Give me two episodes wholly devoted to Elaida’s figurines and the history of the Amyrlin triptych or give this show an early death.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i assume they're possibly doing the 'release a full season at once' thing. at this point i just want to know a date. it'd be weird if it became another game of thrones.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think Amazon still does New Episodes Weekly, don't they? I know they did with The Grand Tour, anyways.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I honestly think a weekly release schedule is better for making a big show. If you just dump a whole season at once then people watch it in two days and forget about it until the next season releases. You don't have people speculating on future episodes, and you can barely even discuss the show at all unless you've both already finished it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I think Amazon still does New Episodes Weekly, don't they? I know they did with The Grand Tour, anyways.

Did they do it with The Expanse? I haven't gotten to the new season yet.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Amazon does full seasons drops for their original content.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They dumped the new season of The Expanse at once but The Grand Tour is apparently coming out one episode at a time so I don't think they have consistent model for releasing shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

How are u posted:

i always thought of these books as word paintings and so he's forced to describe it all