Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’d love to get more into freediving, it’s even more zen than how you see swimming. Being 40ft down without any dive gear on is it’s own kind of peaceful (until your body gives you the “I WANT TO BREATHE, YOU DUMBFUCK” signal :v: )

I got two buddies who freedive spear fishing and absolutely slay. Also since it counts as shore fishing they get a wide open season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, Elmindorf or however the crap you spell it. Paper work might be coming down to send me to Alaska for a few weeks. In January. Joy. Tips on survival from anyone that's been in the area? Never been on the western part of the country outside of a plane, then tah-dah, Alaska! Probably going to be doing a lot of over time so long trips from there are out, wherever there is.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Moose's Tooth pizza is legit some of the best in the country, it's in Anchorage.

Dress warm, like warmer than you'd think. You won't be acclimatized to it so it's going to be rough. Also, the only daylight you'll be getting is from about 10am to 3pm, other than that it's pitch black. Your sleep schedule will probably be even more screwed up if you're jumping a bunch of time zones.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I remember Moose's Tooth. Had just arrived in Alaska in December, and since none of the private in my platoon had any leave time for Christmas, the platoon sergeant took us there for Christmas Eve.

Then everyone (including the PSG) except me got trashed out drunk and I had to drive the privates back to the barracks and one of them got into a knife fight with one of the cooks.

True Alaska infantry experience right there.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dealing with the sub-Arctic and Arctic winter can be lovely. It's dark as gently caress, cold as gently caress, and you feel miserable a lot and just want to pickle yourself indoors. That's a recipe for cabin fever and seasonal depression.

Some handy tips:

- Wool to your skin, maybe if you're experienced there are synthetic stuff that cuts it but wool rarely fails. Cotton or membrane to the wind. The wool stays warm even when moist or even wet, and the outer layer creates a bubble of warm air.
- Do not skimp on your boots. Wool socks.
- Do sauna once a week, try to have an icy shower afterwards/in between bouts, this really helps with the feeling of cold
- Work out regularly, running outside in daytime is perfectly possible with spiked runners like Icebug etc., the daylight and the workout will do you good, but indoors training is fine too
- Bitch and complain as required, but don't overdo it.
- Winter sports are a good thing to get into. XC skiing the gently caress into the woods (bring a survival pack with extra warm clothes etc., you idiot) in the middle of the winter is awesome
- Every winter ends

Then, look forward to summer, standing outside on your porch at 1030PM in broad daylight waxing your car and to the night sky being whitish-blue and nice.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So, Elmindorf or however the crap you spell it. Paper work might be coming down to send me to Alaska for a few weeks. In January. Joy. Tips on survival from anyone that's been in the area? Never been on the western part of the country outside of a plane, then tah-dah, Alaska! Probably going to be doing a lot of over time so long trips from there are out, wherever there is.

https://www.smartwool.com/best-socks-finder.html

Yes, they're a little expensive. They're worth every penny, though. I wore these through Fairbanks winters (down to -60F) and never had any issues.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://www.smartwool.com/best-socks-finder.html

Yes, they're a little expensive. They're worth every penny, though. I wore these through Fairbanks winters (down to -60F) and never had any issues.

Smartwool makes good stuff in general. I found a merino baselayer at a Plato's Closet for $10 that seemed very lightly used and it's one of my favorite shirts for doing stuff.

Also as a general aside, if you're unaware of Plato's Closet and have one near you, go check them out. I get Patagonia and North Face stuff for <$20 all the time, and their systems don't have Mountain Hardware or a number of other outdoorsy good-poo poo brands so they usually price them for nothing. I have an 800 down insulated Mountain Hardware jacket that retailed for like $450 that I got for $25 at one. It's a pretty fun hobby for me at this point to go and shop through, stuff is usually all over the place and mixed in randomly, it's like a treasure hunt.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So on sockchat- I’ve got a few international trips coming up and I’d like some socks I can either wear for a few days or wash easily in the shower like I can with my Ex Officio underwear. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So on sockchat- I’ve got a few international trips coming up and I’d like some socks I can either wear for a few days or wash easily in the shower like I can with my Ex Officio underwear. Anyone have any recommendations?

I bought a half dozen Darn Tough boot socks like 5 years ago and they completely replaced all of my working uniform socks. They are wool and I can wear them for multiple days without the terrible stench and nasty feeling cotton or anything else has. If their lighter socks are anything close to what their work stuff is, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

https://darntough.com/

edit- These are the boot socks I bought six pair of https://darntough.com/products/william-jarvis-boot-sock-cushion?variant=30180896839

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

What's GiP using for off site, slack or discord? Can someone PM me a link, I deleted the apps a while back.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

rifles posted:

Smartwool makes good stuff in general. I found a merino baselayer at a Plato's Closet for $10 that seemed very lightly used and it's one of my favorite shirts for doing stuff.

Also as a general aside, if you're unaware of Plato's Closet and have one near you, go check them out. I get Patagonia and North Face stuff for <$20 all the time, and their systems don't have Mountain Hardware or a number of other outdoorsy good-poo poo brands so they usually price them for nothing. I have an 800 down insulated Mountain Hardware jacket that retailed for like $450 that I got for $25 at one. It's a pretty fun hobby for me at this point to go and shop through, stuff is usually all over the place and mixed in randomly, it's like a treasure hunt.

Hell yeah, my gf introduced me to those type of consignments stores. There are a couple of Uptown Cheapskates here that are very similar. They do an occasional sale where you pay $20 per plastic bag, and take home everything you can fit into it. If there’s room, she’ll grab nice name brand things that don’t even fit her and sell them online for a profit.

I used to check out the outlets for clothes, but the quality has gone downhill and the consignment stores are way cheaper.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

What's GiP using for off site, slack or discord? Can someone PM me a link, I deleted the apps a while back.

Discord seems fairly well populated.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

sock chat? If you're like me and have sweaty feet, get some polypro liners to go with your wool socks. Changing those every day will stretch out your wool socks. Plus, if you're traveling, you can just rinse them out in a sink and air dry them for reuse. They're also a great way to prevent blisters.

Most of my socks are smart wool, but I really want to check out those darn tough for comparison.

update on my previous chat, spoilered for downer
Heard back from my college friend down at Eglin. It was standing room only at the service in the chapel yesterday. Everyone down there was just as shocked about what went down, no signs. He was working on his masters, just got selected for major, great girlfriend. Out of loving nowhere on new year's. Didn't end up sending anything to the service. We'll wait for the service up here.

:edit: Thank you for your advice and caring. It's been a rough new year.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 9, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Brute Squad posted:

update on my previous chat, spoilered for downer
Heard back from my college friend down at Eglin. It was standing room only at the service in the chapel yesterday. Everyone down there was just as shocked about what went down, no signs. He was working on his masters, just got selected for major, great girlfriend. Out of loving nowhere on new year's. Didn't end up sending anything to the service. We'll wait for the service up here.

:edit: Thank you for your advice and caring. It's been a rough new year.

I'm sorry man, that loving sucks. That poo poo is never easy to process. Condolences.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

About to watch 1917.

Last two movies was Cats and Star Wars.

Could use a winner.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i might wait for the uhd for that but it looks great

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smiling Jack posted:

Done.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Got it thanks everyone

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

About to watch 1917.

Let us know what you think.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1211099893198143488

Clint is the best youtube dude, along with Clive.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Let us know what you think.

Its loving good. Very stressful though. So very beautiful in its ugliness. It’s certainly up there in war movies for me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Its loving good. Very stressful though. So very beautiful in its ugliness. It’s certainly up there in war movies for me.

Ok, I'm going to go see it tomorrow.

Have you ever watched the movie Gallipoli? My buddy says this movie was very much like that movie.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I'm going to go see it tomorrow.

Have you ever watched the movie Gallipoli? My buddy says this movie was very much like that movie.

I have not but I think I’ll fix that tomorrow.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had a good interview with a contractor that works for the local energy company doing leak surveys for gas pipelines. They scheduled a ride along for next week. The work seems very straightforward: walk around with an electronic gadget that smells natural gas and mark things on maps. It seems like it might not be challenging enough, though I was worried entry level work for me was going to essentially be a construction laborer. Or should I just take whatever I can get? I can't really tell if this would be useful experience, though it seems on the right track. I majored in geology and specialized in hydro, so utilities might be an industry where I could grow

Edit: I really need a mentor I have no fuckin clue how work works

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

I had a good interview with a contractor that works for the local energy company doing leak surveys for gas pipelines. They scheduled a ride along for next week. The work seems very straightforward: walk around with an electronic gadget that smells natural gas and mark things on maps. It seems like it might not be challenging enough, though I was worried entry level work for me was going to essentially be a construction laborer. Or should I just take whatever I can get? I can't really tell if this would be useful experience, though it seems on the right track. I majored in geology and specialized in hydro, so utilities might be an industry where I could grow

This is entry level as all hell and dudes do this for years and years and years. Also since you're doing it for a company that contracts to utilities you will at some point get stuck in some god forsaken part of the US walking pipeline.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah they asked if I would be willing to be away for a month of the year to go work solo in far-flung parts of the state and named a bunch of meth towns and I was like yeah sure who cares fork over the per diem lady

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone here have any opinions on Ocracoke Island, NC/Cape Hatteras National Seashore? I picked up a job there for the summer :)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Anyone here have any opinions on Ocracoke Island, NC/Cape Hatteras National Seashore? I picked up a job there for the summer :)

I vacation out there every couple of years. Ocracoke is really nice. Only inhabited part of the island is the western end. I'd imagine dealing with tourists can get a little old but overall it's a really nice spot if you like beaches but don't want to deal with jersey shore type places.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Third interview tomorrow. I really want this.

Hail Satan, praise upon His dark will and exalted name

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I vacation out there every couple of years. Ocracoke is really nice. Only inhabited part of the island is the western end. I'd imagine dealing with tourists can get a little old but overall it's a really nice spot if you like beaches but don't want to deal with jersey shore type places.

I lived in Wilmington for a few years, then FL for the last little bit. Tourists are better than the boomer snowbirds that come down this way :v:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I lived in Wilmington for a few years, then FL for the last little bit. Tourists are better than the boomer snowbirds that come down this way :v:

Yeah because Tourists are easy to spot. They’re the assholes driving minivans. Just avoid minivans and you’re fine.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I guess the VA has determined my brain spiders are robust because they just rated me 100%. I should get the letter in a day or so.

That’s nice of them.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Ebenefits to print the report. Your state may offer other advantages.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Got Wellbutrin.

Now hopefully all my friends can stop threatening to kill themselves.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

you tell em who's boss

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh my god I’m total and permanent. I can discharge my student loans.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Oh my god I’m total and permanent. I can discharge my student loans.

Can you collect that and work? I thought 100% was a mixed blessing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Can you collect that and work? I thought 100% was a mixed blessing.

Yes, you can work. And permanent and total means it’s never going away.

It’s a nice $36k a year in tax free earnings. Plus other benefits.

Vas: As a 100% P&T vet you need to find out if there are special tax codes for you that might make home ownership make more sense. In my area the first $260,000 in value is deducted for 100% P&T vets. There could be a similar deal in the areas around or in DC, or even better deals.

Is this your first time getting rated? (That seems bizarre) what’s your back pay situation?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well gently caress. Buy a place with a couch for me to surf when I’m in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
God drat I can't wait until I get my rating. These assholes need to hurry the gently caress up.