Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets the deets.

Working Daze should just buy a reusable bottle like a normal person.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix didn't update Saturday.

Cul De Sac has buyer's remorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

i don't know how you see this Dick arc and NOT go "holy poo poo i need to see how bad this gets until the end of time"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
He's like Blackjack, but without the charm.

Edit: I checked just to make sure I wasn't mixing his name up with someone else, and I found the Dick Tracy wiki. It has this little gem in it:

Dick Tracy Wiki posted:

Blackjack was an early original creation of writer Mike Curtis, appearing in Curtis' Dick Tracy fan fiction.

Which unfortunately doesn't have a source (in fact, it appears there are no sources at all on this wiki), but drat does that explain a whole lot.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 13, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

So, is Wal going to kill that lamb/ewe?

Either that or he's going to do a rapid castration. Dog does refer to it as a bloke.

Hostile V posted:

Called shot: Aunt Tildy has undiagnosed and untreated diabetes.

I hope it's a storyline about the dangers of Four Loko.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

catlord posted:

He's like Blackjack, but without the charm.

Edit: I checked just to make sure I wasn't mixing his name up with someone else, and I found the Dick Tracy wiki. It has this little gem in it:

Which unfortunately doesn't have a source (in fact, it appears there are no sources at all on this wiki), but drat does that explain a whole lot.
It never occurred to me until now that of course there's Dick Tracy fanfic.

Pray to whatever dieties you believe in that I can't find Curtis' fanfics. :devil:

riderchop posted:

i don't know how you see this Dick arc and NOT go "holy poo poo i need to see how bad this gets until the end of time"
Really if Staton/Curtis could stop making it the Creepy Old Theater Guy And His Way Younger Wife show in the middle of every drat arc, I'd be a lot more invested in hatereading it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goatface posted:

Either that or he's going to do a rapid castration. Dog does refer to it as a bloke.
you castrate lambs with a rubber band, not a knife.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

you castrate lambs with a rubber band, not a knife.

Hence the rapid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

the reason you use a rubber band is because if you just knife the balls the lamb will bleed out and die or get an infection and die. that lamb is being killed with that knife regardless of how wal uses it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That sound effect makes me very uncomfortable.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On the Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Stone Soup

Kevin & Kell

MOther GOose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

drat, some underrated comics were slammin' today.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set likes familiarity.

(Obligatory: Vacationing Man Excited To Try Fast Food Franchise Not Found In Hometown

Working Daze is bad.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix still hasn't updated.

Cul De Sac learns about causation.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Peanuts (January 14, 1973)

Gripey Griperbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) in which mama, daddy made a swear! (January 10, 1924)

Elsewhere in the magazine: A few more Crosbys for the road.

And one from Fred G. Cooper.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Don't roll your eyes, you fucker. Maybe the kid has a weak heart or something, and the dad's right that the kid suddenly going into freezing water would kill them.

root posted:

Look at the miserable expression on her face. Do you think Les ever asks her about how things are at work, what she did, how, she's feeling, what her name is? Nope. The sole purpose of her existence is to endure Les' endless whining ("Hollywood wants to make Lisa's Story into a movie again!? :cry: waaaah...") and be constantly reminded of how St Lisa was the greatest and best there ever was and she won't loving go away because that giant library of vhs tapes are her phylactery.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Gripey Griperbean

I'm torn. On one hand, I loving hate flying and I empathize with anyone having a miserable flight. On the other hand, gently caress you Les, you miserable old gently caress. I hope your luggage "accidentally" ended up on a flight to Australia.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

Gripey Griperbean

LEAVE HIM. LEAVE HIM!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

MOther GOose & Grimm

You know, this is a strip I remember from my "I must obsessively read all the comics" attitude that I had as a child, and while it wasn't something I couldn't understand and skipped, like Rex Morgan or Doonsbury, it was still something I found pretty inexplicable. Looking at it as an adult, I have to admit it's pretty good.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Gripey Griperbean

This is a man who truly hates his own life and the concept of life in general.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/23/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/31/46

Mopsy 8/10/42

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

dracky posted:

God those character descriptions. 2/3's of the female characters are witches who will curse you if you look at them the wrong way. The others are "pretty and knows it" and "jealous others are more popular". He spends 5 paragraphs talking about the nuances of drawing Rita.
No wonder he has no energy left at the end of the day for stuff like "jokes" or "drawing things other than clothing folds"

You savages got me curious enough to look up WD on GoComics. There is an EXTENSIVE back catalog in case anyone wants to throw more misery at this thread.

Modesty Blaise

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That 9CL has finally convinced me that Brooke just thumbs through a dictionary looking for words he doesn't think most people will know (because he doesn't) and then writes a comic around them

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In lieu of Cathy I'm going to post Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For. Bechdel is more broadly lauded for her 2006 memoir Fun Home but her cartooning career begin in 1983 with the self-syndicated strip Dykes to Watch Out For. Initially a single panel strip before expanding to one-page vignettes and eventually the episodic narratives the comic is best known for, DtWOR appeared in an array of small press queer papers and magazines throughout the 80s, beginning with the feminist paper WomaNews before spreading to over 50 other independent publications including Hot Wire, The Philadelphia Gay News (my personal go-to for waiting rooms), Lesbian Contradiction, and Chicago Gay Life.

DtWOR isn't perfect, in particular Bechdel appears somewhat tentative and uncertain in handling trans characters as the strip progresses, moving from a single tonedeaf reference in a 1987 strip to fairly well-executed trans supporting characters in the 90s. But aside from showing its age here and there, it's a super important document of lesbian history and queer cultural production.

I'm going to start with the strips in the first Firebrand Books compilation from 1986 and then leap forward to the serialized stuff. These are undated because none of these collections are especially well curated and offer very little in the way of bibliographic information! But all of this first run will be from 1986, as far as I can tell.

And if that's not your speed, here's Barnaby! (4/29-5/1/1942)

Barnaby's wish to become an air raid warden is played up as a humorous counterpoint to Mr. O'Malley's more romanticized suggestions, but would have been a familiar fantasy to children of 1942. Fliers, posters, and radio jingles urged American families to practice various forms of diligence and preparation (many of which we've seen already in, especially, Mopsy), and Barnaby eventually winds up dealing with quite a few branches of civic war-time tasks, a motif that would not at the time been especially discordant with Crockett Johnson's leftist convictions or the politics of the progressive papers running his strip. I'm not a WWII scholar so I'm not sure if readers of 1942 would have been doubly amused by Barnaby's adoration for air wardens and the relatively prosaic nature of their responsibilities, but I think that is a theme that develops as this storyline progresses.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
nevermind

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese we start my favourite adventure with: TITLE CARD!, or I guess Gold Mouth and Corto are travelling faster than the speed of light, then...?, or Suddenly, the I Ching!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Archyduchess posted:

In lieu of Cathy I'm going to post Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For. Bechdel is more broadly lauded for her 2006 memoir Fun Home but her cartooning career begin in 1983 with the self-syndicated strip Dykes to Watch Out For. Initially a single panel strip before expanding to one-page vignettes and eventually the episodic narratives the comic is best known for, DtWOR appeared in an array of small press queer papers and magazines throughout the 80s, beginning with the feminist paper WomaNews before spreading to over 50 other independent publications including Hot Wire, The Philadelphia Gay News (my personal go-to for waiting rooms), Lesbian Contradiction, and Chicago Gay Life.

I remember someone posting some of the narrative era strips in one of the old threads and that I absolutely hated the protagonist and wondering why any of her friends put up with her. These early ones seem fine though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm already faascinated, ArchyDuchess. Proceed.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
We take up Juliet Jones again, where it seems Pop is anxious to give food away.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 20, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 20, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 20, 1988)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I remember someone posting some of the narrative era strips in one of the old threads and that I absolutely hated the protagonist and wondering why any of her friends put up with her. These early ones seem fine though.

That was me. Bechdel addresses this in one of the later ones with an in-character segment where the characters are contrasting whether they're better off being represented by obnoxious radical dykes that are true to life or more obviously sympathetic mainstream lesbians that are palatable to straights. This whole philosophical aspect of the strip dates it very weirdly, since by the time Dykes to Watch Out For was finished the latter argument had basically won, but as we're seeing today it's starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have. I think part of why Bechdel trailed off and gave up writing it was because her characters didn't really have any purpose anymore, forced to live in a modern lgbt culture that was everything they had fought against. None of this context necessarily makes Dykes to Watch Out For any more readable, although it might help some of you get a better idea of where Bechdel was coming from.

On a less aesthetic note my Dykes to Watch Out For strips were very crudely collected from the Internet Archive off of now-defunct sites that used to host them, resulting in many obnoxiously large gaps in between comics. So if something happens that you don't remember seeing, there's a very good chance you never actually saw it in the first place. Kudos to Archyduchess for actually going with a proper distribution method this time. We all appreciate the effort.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Guy Fenix giving Taku a run for most obviously goony comic representative here.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

That was me. Bechdel addresses this in one of the later ones with an in-character segment where the characters are contrasting whether they're better off being represented by obnoxious radical dykes that are true to life or more obviously sympathetic mainstream lesbians that are palatable to straights. This whole philosophical aspect of the strip dates it very weirdly, since by the time Dykes to Watch Out For was finished the latter argument had basically won, but as we're seeing today it's starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have. I think part of why Bechdel trailed off and gave up writing it was because her characters didn't really have any purpose anymore, forced to live in a modern lgbt culture that was everything they had fought against. None of this context necessarily makes Dykes to Watch Out For any more readable, although it might help some of you get a better idea of where Bechdel was coming from.

On a less aesthetic note my Dykes to Watch Out For strips were very crudely collected from the Internet Archive off of now-defunct sites that used to host them, resulting in many obnoxiously large gaps in between comics. So if something happens that you don't remember seeing, there's a very good chance you never actually saw it in the first place. Kudos to Archyduchess for actually going with a proper distribution method this time. We all appreciate the effort.

Yeah, my impression from the last time it was posted in here was that sure it was historic and significant and groundbreaking and all that but it also wasn't particularly readable as a comic strip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

chief darma is loving huge

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff got served in black and white for me today

Overboard

Monty

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

"Yetis killed my father!"

Mary Worth

Zak can hardly contain himself.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's a Buni joke doing in my Andertoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Baldo

This is a pretty funny gag but also infuriating when every other Baldo strip is "Gracie's so smart and precocious, she reads booooookkkssss"

Wallace

Curtis