Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HidaO-Win posted:

The Tanahashi breeding program is a noble endeavour requiring 100-1000 offspring to have a chance at expressing some of the traits of the once in a hundred year talent. Everyone has to do their best.

This article but replace "Tortoise" with "Tanahashi" and "island" with "New Japan Pro Wrestling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Was Tanahashi cheating on his girlfriend with Red Shoes? Is that why she stabbed him :ohdear:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://www.istheforbiddenportalopen.com

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

:f5:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

one day...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SG Bamboo posted:

Was Tanahashi cheating on his girlfriend with Red Shoes? Is that why she stabbed him :ohdear:

Turns out My Dad Is A Heel Wrestler was a documentary :ohdear:

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Turns out My Dad Is A Heel Wrestler was a documentary :ohdear:

Papawaru ending spoilers: When I grow up I want to be a villain, just like my dad

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Did... did I just get worked by some guys who must have a combined age of almost a century? I knew it was unlikely to get an AEWxNJPW thing so easily but all the Jericho talk of "if you beat me you get a title shot" meant that I wanted to belieeeeeve!

The codebreaker off the top rope was nutty. Is Jericho taking a shot at Okada with the Painmaker thing or is it just a coincidence?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Redundant posted:

Did... did I just get worked by some guys who must have a combined age of almost a century? I knew it was unlikely to get an AEWxNJPW thing so easily but all the Jericho talk of "if you beat me you get a title shot" meant that I wanted to belieeeeeve!

The codebreaker off the top rope was nutty. Is Jericho taking a shot at Okada with the Painmaker thing or is it just a coincidence?

the "painmaker" thing is definitely on purpose.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

He started calling himself Painmaker during the build to his Dominion main event match with Okada last year.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Part of Jericho's schtick at this stage of his career is to big up how good his opponent is, but then go on to say that he's better. At least it has been in New Japan, dunno about his AEW stuff. When he fought Kenny for the US title at WK12 he was calling himself "The Alpha" of Professional Wrestling (because Alpha vs Omega is a fun tagline). When he feuded with Naito and EVIL, during one of the beatdowns he did he wore a BUSHI mask with makeup under it and liked how that looked, so he kept using the makeup.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Thanks, it seemed too neat to be an accident and now even the facepaint makes sense. Jericho is amazing and bigging up his opponents is still kind of his thing in AEW. In that thread someone mentioned an extract from one of his books where apparently that was a lesson he learnt super early in his career and has tried to lean into a lot over the years.

Time for some lazy Sunday afternoon Okada v Naito. I still think it's strange seeing how massive Okada is even after the Ibushi fight and watching him hit a standing dropkick to Ibushi as he was sat on the top turnbuckle. Dude's tall.

e: My one misgiving about NJPW is that I really wish people would stop taking some nasty looking bumps on their head and neck. Maybe I'm being worked again but it always seems super dangerous (commenting after the Naito poisonrana off the ropes which isn't even the worst bump I've seen in the 2 days)

Redundant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 12, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Redundant posted:

Thanks, it seemed too neat to be an accident and now even the facepaint makes sense. Jericho is amazing and bigging up his opponents is still kind of his thing in AEW. In that thread someone mentioned an extract from one of his books where apparently that was a lesson he learnt super early in his career and has tried to lean into a lot over the years.

Time for some lazy Sunday afternoon Okada v Naito. I still think it's strange seeing how massive Okada is even after the Ibushi fight and watching him hit a standing dropkick to Ibushi as he was sat on the top turnbuckle. Dude's tall.

e: My one misgiving about NJPW is that I really wish people would stop taking some nasty looking bumps on their head and neck. Maybe I'm being worked again but it always seems super dangerous (commenting after the Naito poisonrana off the ropes which isn't even the worst bump I've seen in the 2 days)

My horror at Ibushi landing directly on his own neck during the Okada match was lesenned by the fact he managed to do it completely unassisted.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Redundant posted:

Supposedly Ibushi does a lot of extremely intense neck strengthening exercises, which is why he can just take half his bumps on his neck for no real reason and still be fully functional. In general Japanese wrestling does involve some crazier spots and harder hitting matches but the infrequency of long singles matches for most guys definitely helps lengthen their careers compared to WWE, where people are put into the house show and weekly TV grinder for a couple years and seem to get injured way more often. Also better health care helps, as evidenced by those Liger matches.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The dojo makes neck exercises a big part of their exercise regiment and really promotes neck safety. Hiromu coming back after breaking his neck is most likely a result of strengthening his neck, it would of been a lot worse if he had not. Ibushi didn't train in the dojo but does the same thing and does a lot to strengthen his neck. But NJPW wrestlers absolutely have a habit of taking really awful head and neck bumps and I wouldn't mind them stopping. Especially landing on their head and poo poo, you can't strengthen your skull to better protect it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

He started calling himself Painmaker during the build to his Dominion main event match with Okada last year.

Part of the Tanahashi interview that got ignored because everyone obviously focused on the AEW stuff was Tanahashi getting mad that Jericho was just recycling his Okada material and wasn't doing anything new for him specifically like Alpha vs. Omega or Lista Ingobernables de Jericho.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Part of the Tanahashi interview that got ignored because everyone obviously focused on the AEW stuff was Tanahashi getting mad that Jericho was just recycling his Okada material and wasn't doing anything new for him specifically like Alpha vs. Omega or Lista Ingobernables de Jericho.

Tana screaming at Jericho during his Fozzy parody bit asking him why he never got a surprise beatdown like everyone else was so good.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hiroshi tanahashi is the goat and i will cry during his tokyo dome retirement match

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Okada takes stupid bumps in big matches

Naito and Ibushi take insane bumps in big matches and stupid bumps during regular matches. Naito took a frankly ridiculous high angle suplex at one of Kennys gaming crossovers.

Okada especially is too physically big and important to the company to take these dragon suplexes off the top rope. Yet here we are. They are all various degrees of crazy.

Also speaking of my dads a heel wrestler it's touring the UK. It's a fun little family movie. I'd recommend it for fans of New Japan

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Missing out on almost 2 years of Hiromu because of dangerous bumps to the neck is an absolute travesty. At least there's some logic to it with the training and limited schedules but wow, some of them are genuinely terrifying, but I suppose that's the point.

Okada is an absolute boss so I might start working my way through "the list" by checking out any/all of his matches with Kenny Omega and then whoever else he's fought in big matches. I imagine there will be a lot of them. Naito being the first double champion instead of him or Tanahashi is a bit of a head scratcher but maybe it makes more sense if you know the history? I just can't get past the guy spitting on everyone to be honest :shrug:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Naito has a complex and extensive history with the IC belt. Someone else will be able to tell this better since I wasn't there to see the first part of the story and I'm not a huge fan of Naito, but it's basically a belt Naito has seen as the consolation prize for losers who can't win the Heavyweight belt, but he's still ended up holding it multiple times even though he's even hated it and what it represents. He would show this by dragging the title on the ground behind him to matches and carelessly throwing it around, damaging it to the point it had to be repaired. Tanahashi, who has respect for the title, then challenged him for the belt and took it from Naito who he saw as unworthy to hold the belt (then Minoru Suzuki murdered Tanahashi for the belt in a match that started Tana's 2018 incredible story). Long story short, at WK 13 Naito defeated Chris Jericho for the title, using the title as a weapon which seemed to make him realize that maybe there was something to it after all. Then last year he figured that the IC title was the key for him to finally realize his dream of winning the IWGP championship at the Tokyo Dome by pushing the idea of a double championship. Naito was really the only real candidate to be the double champ, considering his years-long history with the IC belt and his long, LONG road to hold the IWGP Heavyweight title once more.

Part of Okada's character is that he doesn't give even a molecular amount of poo poo about any other title than the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. He doesn't care about the IC belt and made it clear during the build to the Double Gold Dash. As for Tana, well, he doesn't need to be a double champ. He has nothing to prove anymore.

I think that's basically it!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 12, 2020

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

naito sucks rear end and is wack but gedo has been working this story for a long time and naito has been one of the most popular guys in japan for yeeeaaarrrsss, so that he finally won the big belt by using the IC belt which he has been tied to for a long time is just plain good story telling

but he's ugly and i don't like him

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 12, 2020

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Redundant posted:

Okada is an absolute boss so I might start working my way through "the list" by checking out any/all of his matches with Kenny Omega and then whoever else he's fought in big matches. I imagine there will be a lot of them. Naito being the first double champion instead of him or Tanahashi is a bit of a head scratcher but maybe it makes more sense if you know the history? I just can't get past the guy spitting on everyone to be honest :shrug:

He and LIJ have been the most popular act in the company for a little over 3 years, and Naito's only IWGP title reign before this was a 2 month, 1 defense run where he beat Okada with interference from a debuting SANADA, while he and the group were still very much heel. The reason he gets the double title thing over Okada or Tanahashi is frankly neither of them need another accolade in the history books. They're both cemented as all time legends already. Tanahashi's won the title 8 times and main evented the Tokyo Dome 10 times, pulling the company out of its darkest period in history in the process. Okada basically broke every record in the book outside of youngest/oldest champion and # of reigns. Naito's never going to come close to any of that, but he deserves his one big note in the history books, which is what the double championship win is.

edit: also yeah all the stuff with the IC belt above, he was the only one who made storyline sense to get it

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 12, 2020

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Naito needs leave in conditioner and coconut oil for his hair. Or just get whatever Jay White is using. Greasy locks would sell his scum bag tendencies better than the fire hazard he likes rocking.

Naito is not my favorite but I get the popularity.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

Naito has a complex and extensive history with the IC belt. Someone else will be able to tell this better since I wasn't there to see the first part of the story and I'm not a huge fan of Naito

The only major missing bit here from the start of the story is the Wrestle Kingdom 8 situation.

Very gobernable Stardust Genius Naito won the G1 that year and was supposed to challenge Okada for the IWGP title in the main event, but the fans turned on him before they got there. Naito was nowhere near ready for the role at the time. Meanwhile the feud between Tanahashi and Nakamura for the Intercontinental title was hot and much more of a draw. They ultimately decided to do a fan vote to determine which match should main event, and the Intercontinental title match won handily. Naito lost his match with Okada in the semi-main and then languished for awhile.

So when Los Ingobernables Naito eventually crossed paths with the IC title there was an element of very personal anger to his mistreatment of the belt, seeing as it was part of the equation that stole his original crowning moment from him.

They further emphasized this when they did the Double Gold Dash this year by having the fans vote on whether or not they wanted it to happen. In the end Naito won over the fans, came to respect the IC title, and used it to get another Tokyo Dome main event with Okada where he beat him and became the first double champion in the process.

Happiness fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 12, 2020

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am SO loving HAPPY that DEATH RIDERS is actually gonna be a real thing (probably). I'd stan them the way some of y'all do LIJ.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I am SO loving HAPPY that DEATH RIDERS is actually gonna be a real thing (probably). I'd stan them the way some of y'all do LIJ.

You are going to be so bummed when Suzuki murders Mox and weird scummy dude DOUKI eats his flesh and I will laugh heartily with my Suzukigun family

Cannibalism just seems like something DOUKI would be into.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Happiness posted:

The only major missing bit here from the start of the story is the Wrestle Kingdom 8 situation.

Very gobernable Stardust Genius Naito won the G1 that year and was supposed to challenge Okada for the IWGP title in the main event, but the fans turned on him before they got there. Naito was nowhere near ready for the role at the time. Meanwhile the feud between Tanahashi and Nakamura for the Intercontinental title was hot and much more of a draw. They ultimately decided to do a fan vote to determine which match should main event, and the Intercontinental title match won handily. Naito lost his match with Okada in the semi-main and then languished for awhile.

So when Los Ingobernables Naito eventually crossed paths with the IC title there was an element of very personal anger to his mistreatment of the belt, seeing as it was part of the equation that stole his original crowning moment from him.

They further emphasized this when they did the Double Gold Dash this year by having the fans vote on whether or not they wanted it to happen. In the end Naito won over the fans, came to respect the IC title, and used it to get another Tokyo Dome main event with Okada where he beat him and became the first double champion in the process.

Oh yeah, essential stuff! Say what you will about Naito, and I'll say I still can't get invested in him, but his is a hell of a story and one that's all but impossible to tell in any other narrative medium.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've more than warmed up to the idea, learning to trust the NJPW process for things that aren't tag-belts. Naito's match against Okada was definitely the best Naito match I've seen so far (only been watching since G1) and it's not particularly close, so maybe his poor/boring matches from before were some combination of 1)Being hurt and 2)Being cautious to not get hurt when he's so close to the payoff of a multi-year story.

Number 2 is especially a pretty big deal to consider when you look across the ocean and see the disaster that happened to Ciampa. Then you consider that Naito's storyline had been going on for even longer? Yeah. I'm suddenly much more inclined to cut him a lot of slack for what I thought before were lackluster performances, because he apparently can bring it when he wants to.

EDIT
......But then there were his Ibushi matches which were just suicidally insane, and not even in a good way.

...gently caress it, man, I don't understand wrestlers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've more than warmed up to the idea, learning to trust the NJPW process for things that aren't tag-belts. Naito's match against Okada was definitely the best Naito match I've seen so far (only been watching since G1) and it's not particularly close, so maybe his poor/boring matches from before were some combination of 1)Being hurt and 2)Being cautious to not get hurt when he's so close to the payoff of a multi-year story.

Number 2 is especially a pretty big deal to consider when you look across the ocean and see the disaster that happened to Ciampa. Then you consider that Naito's storyline had been going on for even longer? Yeah. I'm suddenly much more inclined to cut him a lot of slack for what I thought before were lackluster performances, because he apparently can bring it when he wants to.

EDIT
......But then there were his Ibushi matches which were just suicidally insane, and not even in a good way.

Every wrestler is at their core that dude who you can say "Haha wouldn't it be funny if someone did this stupid thing?" and they always respond with "Haha yeah... I'll do it"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT

Naito has a bit of Nakamura to him a this point, house show Naito can be entertaining but don't expect him to do anything particularly memorable. It doesn't matter & he knows it & the LIJ fans will eat up him just taking off his ball cap so gently caress it, if you can get away with doing very little then why not? But when he knows it's a big occasion and he turns it on he can be electric. Not always, and especially not when he turns out a babyface-in-peril Passion of the Naito style match which I really do not get anything out of. But the gist is that he's older and definitely has some lingering injuries so he doesn't turn it on all that much. Which does mean that when he does turn it on you do sometimes get some absolutely ludicrous poo poo like the Ibushi match at Dominion that Dave refused to rate for some dumb reason.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Dave not rating the match because it was dangerous bugs me. On rewatch the match isn't as bad as it looks, they take a lot of smart bumps that look bad with a couple of very stupid bumps mixed in. But really my complaint is the idea that the match crossed some line. Pretty much all wrestling is too dangerous. It's just a weird one to be the one that crosses the line and I think a lot of it is the reputation of Ibushi and Naito more then the match.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yeah me and my friends thought it was pretty brutal and they took a few really bad head bumps we wish they wouldn't, but also loved the match because the pace and brutality of it made it really feel like these guys hate each other

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I hate the stereotypical Passion of Naito match but somehow he always knocks it out of the park with Taichi. Those two have an extremely weird chemistry that I just loving love. That Sapporo match from February last year that had legit like 20 minutes of stalling was got drat incredible, not to mention the G1 match where the crowd was white hot for their Iron Claw-using babyface hometown hero Taichi and Naito menaced Miho. Interestingly, the February show was apparently the one where Naito mentioned the double champion thing for the first time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, Dave not rating the match because it was dangerous bugs me. On rewatch the match isn't as bad as it looks, they take a lot of smart bumps that look bad with a couple of very stupid bumps mixed in. But really my complaint is the idea that the match crossed some line. Pretty much all wrestling is too dangerous. It's just a weird one to be the one that crosses the line and I think a lot of it is the reputation of Ibushi and Naito more then the match.

Perhaps it was the months of Kevin Kelly selling Ibushi/Naito matches by screaming 'THESE GUYS WILL LITERALLY KILL EACH OTHER' that made those bumps so uncomfortable.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It was also following WK13 where Ibushi got concussed.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

ibushi bashing his face on the apron was so loving brutal and they replayed it in slow motion lol

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I hate the stereotypical Passion of Naito match but somehow he always knocks it out of the park with Taichi. Those two have an extremely weird chemistry that I just loving love. That Sapporo match from February last year that had legit like 20 minutes of stalling was got drat incredible, not to mention the G1 match where the crowd was white hot for their Iron Claw-using babyface hometown hero Taichi and Naito menaced Miho. Interestingly, the February show was apparently the one where Naito mentioned the double champion thing for the first time.

And Taichi was the guy he finally beat to get the double title shot.

Taichi is the best in the world though and I can't wait for him to have Okada's best match ever this year like he did with Ishii last year

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Perhaps it was the months of Kevin Kelly selling Ibushi/Naito matches by screaming 'THESE GUYS WILL LITERALLY KILL EACH OTHER' that made those bumps so uncomfortable.

Oh absolutely. And it was a dumb match, just not especially dumber then any other Ibushi match.

Though those are really dumb. How the gently caress is he almost 40 and moving like he does? How the gently caress has he survived to be almost 40?

Edit: What major injuries has he even had? I can think of his concussion pulling him out of the 2014 G1 and a herniated cervical disc. I think he also had a bad dislocated shoulder? That all seems pretty tame for the way he wrestles. I have to assume he has a lot of concussions.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

And Taichi was the guy he finally beat to get the double title shot.

Taichi is the best in the world though and I can't wait for him to have Okada's best match ever this year like he did with Ishii last year

:hai:

I'm also 100% sure Taichi will beat Okada and then challenge Naito for the belt and it'll be glorious