Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

`Nemesis posted:

fyad is dead/permanently closed. Delete that poo poo hole from the app 🙂

Apparently Android users are already unable to open FYAD's corpse, but iOS can. I assume it's an Apple update process thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I’m bad at this maybe, but, is there a way to search in-app?

I’d search for the answer, but, you know...

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
There is not, it's on the to-do list.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hey again, is it possible to get the byob theme in the byob goldmine?

i guess i could swap the default if i want to read through it, but it would be fun if the goldmines could have those specific settings too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
All of a sudden today when I have awful set as the default browser clicking links traps me on a completely black screen and the only way to escape is to force close the app. I'm stuck setting safari as the default browser instead.

Edit: restarting my phone seems to have resolved it so this seems like an ios webview issue rather than an awful issue.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 10, 2020

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I once had that with links in the official Twitter app, definitely seems to be an OS bug.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’m running into an error where apparently my account doesn’t have access to c-spam? I can go to bookmarks within it, but I cannot view the main list of threads in the awful app on iOS.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Is there a way to change time zone in the app?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The winyos themes color for new post count is almost impossible to see against the background color. Can you tweak the contrast so it's actually readable?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
iPhone 11 pro max, apparently got logged out and the login screen was super weird. I guess I shoulda screenshotted it before this post. Brb

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Login screen - I logged out and killed the app, this is what I see when opening it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This is what I see after having 1password autofill my username and password. The username and password are invisible but present. The only way to login is to hit return on the keyboard.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 12, 2020

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The app is doing that thing again where it’s not letting me go to C-spam. It does this about 80-90% of the time when I try to enter that subforum and I have no idea why, I can go there on safari.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

`Nemesis posted:

This is what I see after having 1password autofill my username and password. The username and password are invisible but present. The only way to login is to hit return on the keyboard.

This happened to me as well, is your phone set to dark mode overall? Turn it off and you’ll probably be able to see your username/etc when you type it.

11 Pro, app is still busted for me. I miss it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adding users to ignore list seems totally broken in app for a while. Latest iOS, 6s+

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

numerrik posted:

The app is doing that thing again where it’s not letting me go to C-spam. It does this about 80-90% of the time when I try to enter that subforum and I have no idea why, I can go there on safari.
In a browser I see 2 subforums for D&D, “The Great Space Race” and “C-SPAM: Better Posts Aren’t Possible”. In Awful.app I see 3, with the third being the “Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum” that you’re loading. That one also errors out for me but the other two work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fourwood posted:

In a browser I see 2 subforums for D&D, “The Great Space Race” and “C-SPAM: Better Posts Aren’t Possible”. In Awful.app I see 3, with the third being the “Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum” that you’re loading. That one also errors out for me but the other two work.
Isn't that the Star Citizen forum? They closed that and moved the threads to Games or somewhere a few days back. That's why it won't open.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Adding users to ignore list seems totally broken in app for a while. Latest iOS, 6s+

Figured this out, a user I had previously added to my ignore has since been made a Mod so it wouldn't let me update the list with that user still in it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Am I the only one that crashes beta pretty much every time I switch orientation on the phone?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Figured this out, a user I had previously added to my ignore has since been made a Mod so it wouldn't let me update the list with that user still in it!

I ran into this a lot too. My ignore list is half mods and half permabans, seems like I can really pick them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Not sure if this has been posted but whenever you post or reply in cspam using the app, it defaults to lower case. Not too huge of a deal but I’m used to the first word of sentence being uppercase automatically. Weirdly enough this doesn’t happen in other parts of the forum for me.

Like I typed this reply using the app and it defaulted “Not” to uppercase

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not sure if this has been posted but whenever you post or reply in cspam using the app, it defaults to lower case. Not too huge of a deal but I’m used to the first word of sentence being uppercase automatically. Weirdly enough this doesn’t happen in other parts of the forum for me.

Like I typed this reply using the app and it defaulted “Not” to uppercase

That's deliberate, ai think yospos does that too

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Subjunctive posted:

Am I the only one that crashes beta pretty much every time I switch orientation on the phone?

Actually, for me, it’s whenever it goes landscape—if you open the app in that orientation it crashes immediately.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

stuffed crust punk posted:

That's deliberate, ai think yospos does that too

Ohhh ok cool. Good to know because I thought I was losing my mind lmao

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This may be niche but I’m throwing it out in case there’s more use case than I think:

-Ability to open lpix hosted files the same as e.g., Imgur

-Ability to ‘look-through’ url shorteners and copy the real url/activate the Open In Awful functionality if it leads to SA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Subjunctive posted:

I have orientation lock on all the time now which sucks but the constant crashes were tiresome

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBH I don’t think I’ve ever had it crash on orientation switch.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MarcusSA posted:

TBH I don’t think I’ve ever had it crash on orientation switch.

I hadn’t either until it started happening every time recently

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Snowy posted:

I hadn’t either until it started happening every time recently

I've been having crashing issues on my iPad with the production version lately with orientation shifting as well. Some attempts at reproduction later and it seems to be from auto-hiding the sidebar, which explains why it always happened when I'd try to read in portrait orientation.

Its been consistent since switching to an iPad Pro 11 for me, regardless of reinstalling.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
https://imgur.com/a/L800bkZ for video of it, second launch is from landscape

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grassy Knowles posted:

Interesting dock setup

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Seriously look at how hard these new post counts are to read. Please crank the contrast for that text in winyos 95

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stuffed crust punk posted:

Interesting dock setup

I travel a lot for work and have to deal with far too many messaging apps. I miss trillian being able to unify all this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

the yeti posted:

I was thinking a direct path to the web version of the profile might mitigate some of the inconvenience of the way the ignore list malfunctions if a poster on it gets modded/adminned/IK’d.

I am ashamed to admit I've either:
• never noticed that "Add user to ignore list" button on user profiles before, or
• never made the connection that Awful should use that button instead of doing what it does now,
but Awful should definitely use that button to bypass the issue editing an ignore list with admins/mods/IKs on it.

Smol posted:

I can avoid Lowtax’s NordVPN ads by turning off the “Unread announcements badge”, right?

They'll still show up in the Forums tab, but yeah the tab itself won't get the lil number on it.

General Dog posted:

I’m having an issue where apostrophes in my own post show up in the preview, but not when I actually post.

Or, if the apostrophe shows up in this post for you, it’s not showing up for me on my phone.

Edit: well they’re showing up for me now. Weird.

This one has baffled me. My guess is it has something to do with how Awful handles the text view, and somehow quotes turn into smart quotes or vice versa at some inopportune time, which somehow leads to the quotes going missing as Awful grabs the current contents to send to the server. (Replace "quotes" with "apostrophes" as needed.) The quantity of "somehow"s in that sentence indicates how confidently I can explain why this would cause the problem.

Anyway, I'll +1 it on the list.

Red_Fred posted:

Ben meaning you come here to say a big thank you to the developers! This is probably my most used app on my phone and it’s super solid and reliable.

You're very welcome!

Fedule posted:

Automatic theme change with system (with system set to change with sunrise/set) seems to have a screw or two loose. Only a small one though; this only happens on loading up the app in the morning. After refreshing or page changing or going back to forum or bookmark view everything catches up.

I've had this one on my personal shitlist for awhile. One of those annoying ones that's not technically harmful but still super annoying. I'll +1 it on the list.

carry on then posted:

I’ve noticed that embedded tweets from people with obnoxiously long Twitter names can cause horizontal scrolling. Ive traces it down in the inspector and it is the name within the embedded tweet for sure. I’ve tried updating the widgets.js but it persists. Example: https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1210033941362536448

This one's on the list but more examples will help figure out what's going on!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone else have issues using trying to jump to the last post when you look at a user's post history in a thread? Whenever I pick it in the page menu it jumps me to the last page of the entire thread. Selecting any other page is fine.

Ah yeah this one's an oldie, I'll +3 it on the list.

I can't remember if this is my fuckup somewhere in Awful or if the Forums make it annoying to pull the last post in a thread when showing one user's posts. I think there's a dedicated "jump to last post" URL that ignores the user filter. If that's right, the solution is to check the page dropdown and jump to the last known page instead of using the "jump to last post" URL.

Grace Baiting posted:

great stuff on invisible scroll thumbs

Thanks again for sticking with this! It's all tucked away in the issue tracker for when I poke at it.

Warbird posted:

The current implementation tends to break/explode due to reasons beyond the app’s control. I believe some folks have shared a iOS Shortcut automation up thread you could leverage.

Sometimes it breaks for reasons beyond Awful's control, but I'm pretty sure there's a bug or two that is under Awful's control. But the end-of-the-month thing is an API limit yeah.

Drastic Actions posted:

You get a bigger upload limit if users log in, but setting up that flow... sucks. :lol:

If nothing else, coming up with a better error message for what that happens would be nice. I might be able to look at that at some point, since that plus uploads from the camera failing annoy the crap out of me.

Someone(s) did make a lil library that does Imgur stuff including signing in, but I'm a snob who demands image uploading without pulling the entire full-size decompressed image into memory along the way, and so far the code I've seen does exactly that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I haven’t been following the progress on this thread but I’ve noticed a behavior that comes up whenever there is a forums-wide sticky/announcement: if you’ve already read the Nord VPN ad, guess what! It’s starred again as though it hasn’t been read yet. But the post about super-mods is there but never gets a star.

Bottom line: new announcements don’t give a notification for reading. Just picks the first announcement in that queue and reenables it.

Sorry about that, I know it's even more annoying when there's a flurry of announcements. I honestly can't remember what the problem is here, though it is on my list to fix. Some combination of announcements being really weird to scrape from the Forums (iirc the announcements are shown in different orders atop a forum versus on the page that shows the full announcement content), Awful doing the wrong thing (? always a good bet), and there being no good way to tell whether an announcement has been read (Awful just compares the contents, so even the smallest change in announcement title/text results in it becoming "unread"). Anyway, it's on the list with a +1.

ulvir posted:

is it possible to get the SAclopedia in the app somehow, or is the jungle of Radium legacy too difficult to navigate on that front?

Definitely possible and I'd love to add it. There's a bit of weirdness that I need to sort out before I can do it exactly the way I want, but having it work like the website (choose a letter, here's the articles that start with that letter, here's a particular article) is no problem.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The quote button has stopped working a few times today, and regdates aren’t always showing up either.

Did that fix itself? Curious if it had something to do with the new year, as your post is right around January 1. I've had regdates disappear when I'm in the old daylight saving time hour because the Forums hasn't updated that data in ages so it sends out times that don't exist.

Subjunctive posted:

I have been crashing a lot on beta, I think related to orientation changes? I’ve sent most of them in, in case that’s helpful.

It is helpful, as is mentioning it here because I constantly forget that feedback via TestFlight is a thing now :)

ewiley posted:

I just replaced my lovely asus tablet with an iPad and it’s like I’m in a whole new universe! All the apps are better and everything is shiny and responsive. The awful app is unrecognizably better and has an actual 🍔 menu. I wish I’d done this years ago.

The hamburger icon still cracks me up even though it's the world's dumbest joke.

Ablative posted:

Apparently Android users are already unable to open FYAD's corpse, but iOS can. I assume it's an Apple update process thing.

Nah just Awful taking its time updating the list of forums.

ulvir posted:

hey again, is it possible to get the byob theme in the byob goldmine?

i guess i could swap the default if i want to read through it, but it would be fun if the goldmines could have those specific settings too

Possible yep. Might be a surprising (as in not quite trivial) amount of work though, as I think themes are currently limited to listing one forum that they apply to by default.

The MUMPSorceress posted:

All of a sudden today when I have awful set as the default browser clicking links traps me on a completely black screen and the only way to escape is to force close the app. I'm stuck setting safari as the default browser instead.

Edit: restarting my phone seems to have resolved it so this seems like an ios webview issue rather than an awful issue.

This is on the list, but it's one of those hard to reproduce bugs where the framework gives (afaik) no insight into what it's doing. I certainly haven't ruled out Awful doing something wrong.

heeheex2 posted:

Is there a way to change time zone in the app?

No. It assumes you've set the time zone in your User Control Panel to the same as the device it's running on. Though the Forums's DST info is a decade+ out of date so there's a good chance they can't possibly match up.

The MUMPSorceress posted:

The winyos themes color for new post count is almost impossible to see against the background color. Can you tweak the contrast so it's actually readable?

Wow that is super unreadable. Yep!

`Nemesis posted:

Looks like some dark mode fuckery. It might be fixed in the next version, if I can ever be arsed to ship that.

numerrik posted:

I am pretty sure that alert text is exactly what the website sends down. My guess is that Awful has the wrong forum ID for C-SPAM for some reason? (Did it change IDs recently?) You might be able to fix it by logging out and back in (I realize that's a lovely fix).

Subjunctive posted:

Based on TestFlight feedback, pretty much. That just means you're a valuable member of the reproducibility club.

Midjack posted:

I ran into this a lot too. My ignore list is half mods and half permabans, seems like I can really pick them.

Oh do permabanned users also mess up the ignore list? Makes some sense I guess.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Actually, for me, it’s whenever it goes landscape—if you open the app in that orientation it crashes immediately.

Definitely something fucky going on here.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Welp. Feel free to share the crash if you're willing (and if you already have before, that's great and you can ignore me).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK random other thing but can you make gang tags/longvatars show up in the main thread view? Put it behind an option if you have to. It makes me sad I can't see my wizard lady next to my posts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Orientation switch is fixed for me in beta, thanks a ton. My sleepy time reading will be nicer now.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Also related to avatar stuff - I didn’t realize this until recently, but apparently the default one for new users has changed. On PC it’s currently Stupid Newbie with a picture of someone getting punched, but Awful app still shows it as the Trump avatar.

Clearing my cache didn’t change any of the displays, so it’d be nice if that was updated eventually!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I might be able to fix that from my end.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Following up re: the rotation issue: the beta build does resolve it on my iPad Pro 11! I'm going to keep using it to be sure, but so far opening in either orientation and alternating seems to be fine.

Thanks for the fast fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I might be able to fix that from my end.

oh man it is so good to hear someone say that