Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Spoken, yeah dubya. But written was GWB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've literally never heard Bush referred to in speaking as GWB. FDR, JFK, LBJ are all how everyone refers to them in speaking though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I dont know posted:

Was it Rob Smith how had a weird rant about how AOC hasn't earned having three names like, for example, JFK?

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1084492537266614274

In which thread Bobby Smith demonstrates that he's one of either the dumbest or the most disingenuous humans to ever draw breath.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Besesoth posted:

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1084492537266614274

In which thread Bobby Smith demonstrates that he's one of either the dumbest or the most disingenuous humans to ever draw breath.

Why can't he be both?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

the_steve posted:

Why can't he be both?

You're right, I should not have implied an exclusive "or".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Usually I start with the assumption that media talking heads know better, or ought to know better

but I think Rob Smith is really that dumb

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

Politicians are basically demons, the more names they have the more powerful they are.

George Herbert Walker Bush, the most powerful of foes

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What a lovely thing to say about a cartoonist with JRRose lite opinions. Post the welfare queen cartoons, because all I've ever seen are Congress, dear reader, need I say more?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fister Roboto posted:

Politicians are basically demons, the more names they have the more powerful they are.

Unless it’s the Kill Six Billion Demons ruleset, of course.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I agree, but I think it would be better if they showed conservative assholes shouting down the "dreamers" in the first three panels. Sort of a "we beat them before, we can beat them again" message.

Give me one good reason why someone who cares about civil rights should also care about war!

I've always wondered why FDR, JFK, and LBJ are the only presidents with a three-letter nickname.

Teddy hated that nickname and liked to go by TR

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jurgan posted:

I've always wondered why FDR, JFK, and LBJ are the only presidents with a three-letter nickname.
How many presidents have an easy to deliver three letter acronym where each letter is one syllable and their last name isn't instantly identifiable on its own?

There were other Kennedi, a famous prior Roosevelt, and Johnson's just such a bland name that the acronym was just easier for casual identification.

And a lot of the old timey presidents had bitchin names that were a blast to say and woulda been a shame to cover up with an acronym. USG is nowhere near the portmanteau monument of excellence encompassed by US Grant. RBH removes from us the experience of throwing out Rutherford. Acronyms are strictly a post 1920s invention to mitigate lamer names.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My Fox News watching conspiracy addled grandmother used to refer to Obama as "The big BO" does that count?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Unless it’s the Kill Six Billion Demons ruleset, of course.

Of course, that's why Republicans commonly invoked Obama's secret middle name, to drain his power :hmmyes:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My Fox News watching conspiracy addled grandmother used to refer to Obama as "The big BO" does that count?

Was she talking about the dog?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I've literally never heard Bush referred to in speaking as GWB. FDR, JFK, LBJ are all how everyone refers to them in speaking though.

I did see Bush referred to in writing as GWB up to about 9/11, after which he was always Dubya. As for the others, there had already been Presidents Roosevelt and Johnson so there was some slight need to keep them distinct (although LBJ was certainly coat-tailing JFK; also nobody could spell "Lyndon") and with JFK his brothers were also heavily involved in politics. I'm not up enough on my history to know if Kennedy was JFK prior to Ted joining the Senate in 1962, though.

DJT, though, I have never heard or seen anywhere. I can still imagine it being used, mainly by his idiot fans trying to paint him as a Republican Kennedy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Amoeba102 posted:

Spoken, yeah dubya. But written was GWB.

Actually GWB stands for "Gulf War's Back!"

Harry S Truman preferred to go by his middle name.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fister Roboto posted:

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso should have run for office.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jurgan posted:

I agree, but I think it would be better if they showed conservative assholes shouting down the "dreamers" in the first three panels. Sort of a "we beat them before, we can beat them again" message.

Give me one good reason why someone who cares about civil rights should also care about war!

LBJ did it on purpose to imitate FDR. It's why his wife, daughters, and dogs also had the initials LBJ.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

LBJ did it on purpose to imitate FDR. It's why his wife, daughters, and dogs also had the initials LBJ.

Yes, just like FDR’s wife Felanor Delanor Roosevelt.

i get what you mean but I couldn’t resist

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Anyone within two hours of the New York metro area will know GWB stands for the George Washington Bridge.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao this is the guy who developed senile dementia right

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ague Proof posted:

He probably regretted it when hippies rhymed it with “how many kids did you kill today?” He should have stuck to impressing people with his giant dong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just in the LBJ presidential library recently and it was bizarre how much it emphasized his habit of talking down to people, like it was something to be proud of. It had this one display that was like "get the LBJ experience" and there's a picture of him on the wall larger than life, angled downward and pointing his finger at someone below him, and you can stand there and get your picture taken. it's the only presidential library I've been to so far but it was a really weird experience.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
LBJ leaning on people is like his most famous personal trait, and a pretty benign one compared to everything else he did.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

lmao this is the guy who developed senile dementia right
That’s why I posted it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

DJT, though, I have never heard or seen anywhere.

It really should be IDJIT.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It really should be IDJIT.
got em

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Prickly City is reruns this week, so I'm not posting it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Prickly City is reruns this week, so I'm not posting it.
Amazed that anyone could spot the difference!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
As a note, I've done some pruning on the 2020 Gaybies categories. Here's the revised list:

• Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy
  • Worst cartoon about Terrorism
  • Worst Obituary Cartoon
  • Worst Caricature
  • Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon
  • Worst Label
  • Most Incomprehensible
  • Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon
  • Worst "Deep State" Cartoon
  • Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon
  • Most Easily Reinterpreted
  • Most Willfully Dense
  • Worst Gaslighter Cartoon
  • Best Edit/Parody
  • Worst Cartoon about a Primary Election
  • Worst Cartoon about the General Election

"Terrorism" includes mass shootings.

This should make it easier both to nominate and to vote at the end of the year; this year's categories are a bit unwieldy!

Also, :frogsiren: voting in the Gay Abortions thread closes in about 24 hours! :frogsiren:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Jedit posted:

DJT, though, I have never heard or seen anywhere. I can still imagine it being used, mainly by his idiot fans trying to paint him as a Republican Kennedy.

The only place I've ever seen Trump called that is on FreeRepublic.com, except they also initialize the "President" part of President Donald J Trump so he's PDJT to them. :freep:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Don’t know how to break this to you Robby, but that’s not Trump’s natural skin tone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 14, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Smear on Bernie. Bad comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not every old man is Bernie Sanders.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Murdoch?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Yeah, defiantly Murdoch.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Okay, fine, I take it back, Payne is #2 to Rob on 'dumbest political cartoonist'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Degeneration Gap"