Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gods & Monsters does look cool, I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

hostile apostle posted:

D2 and GRID taking up most of my time. Most looking forward to 4K, 60FPS Cyberpunk in April (lol).

Get Packed (Stadia exclusive) looks like it will be a pretty fun couch co-op, Overcooked-esque type game. Not sure on exact release date.

Gods & Monsters, coming in Feb also seems interesting, from the devs of AC:O. Kinda looks like AC:O meets Zelda.

Okay I saved his post so we can find it even if he deletes it after none of those games come out (gods and monsters was delayed for every platform, it ain't coming February unless you mean February 2021)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My favorite part of the Reddit is that they are excited that the Stadia logo is in Doom Eternal's trailer.

Yeah, that's the sound of a healthy platform with lots of consumer confidence. A trailer for a game that previously announced support for Stadia shows the logo, therefore, we must be excited.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/elraop/who_needs_a_pixel_presenting_my_budget_snapon/

Finally an intuitive, user friendly handheld. Stadia is the future.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

4K, 60FPS Cyberpunk in April (lol).

Glad you have a sense of humor about it because there's no way that's happening.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 14, 2020

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I saved his post so we can find it even if he deletes it after none of those games come out (gods and monsters was delayed for every platform, it ain't coming February unless you mean February 2021)

This article from 4 days ago says otherwise? IDK

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/21055313/game-preview-2020-xbox-ps4-ps5-switch-halo-half-life-cyberpunk

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hostile apostle posted:

D2 and GRID taking up most of my time.
D2 was pretty poo poo, but at least it had an amazing soundtrack. Good for Stevia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdma6QXisY

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That article is going off outdated info. Here's an article from the same site that confirms it: https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/24/20930546/ubisoft-delays-watch-dogs-legion-gods-and-monsters-rainbow-six-quarantine

Breakpoint's awful reception really shook them up and they delayed everything.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

This is so sad

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

leftist heap posted:

This is so sad

Something tells me that's going to drain the battery he got way faster than he expects.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

leftist heap posted:

This is so sad
Probably the saddest part is it looks like it's Farming Simulator, one of the few Stadia games that also already exists on the Switch.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Stadia more like Stadi-F because I give this thing and F!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tempura Wizard posted:

Probably the saddest part is it looks like it's Farming Simulator, one of the few Stadia games that also already exists on the Switch.

Psh but not in 4k

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Stadia's only been out for two months and Cyberpunk is still three months away, that seems like a very long time.

Oh, except it might be even longer

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1215218597297098752

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
oopd

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lol the same year, they really are prioritising the platform

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chalks posted:

lol the same year, they really are prioritising the platform

Note that by "the same year", they mean 2077.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

uvar posted:

Stadia's only been out for two months and Cyberpunk is still three months away, that seems like a very long time.

Dis gon' be good :allears:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I expect a bunch of developers that made commitments to release games for Stadia will probably be dragging their feet on them after the release fiasco, and won't be likely to plan future releases for it after they see the sales numbers.

Sucks for those indie devs who signed timed exclusive deals. That's really gotta take the wind out of their sails :( I hope they got good lump sum payments.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Doom Eternal is announced for 3/20 on Stadia, so same date as other platforms.
https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1217189729797435392

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whens doom 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

Wow, the game that did some marketing deal with them back pre-release, and is the easiest possible port since it's already on linux+vulkan, is going to be day and date? An amazing success for Stadia!

Yet they still haven't bothered to put Doom 2016 up for sale despite it being the demo game during press coverage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

Note how they're pointedly not claiming it will be 60FPS and 4K when they were making that a promise for Doom/Doom Eternal early last year...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

If Nintendo ever did one of those “there has to be a better way” commercials for switch, this would be the black and white footage.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Top /r/stadia tip: find one nutjob comment, then read their profile.

quote:

Totally - I am out in APRIL for sure. Tuesday, April 3rd, 2040. I am switching back to PC assuming those still exist in 2040. Weird date, why 2040? A laptop capable of playing any game right now in 4K is going to cost at least $2500. Break down cost vs the price of Stadia Pro, that is 20 years.

This entire conversation is embarrassing. We are literally talking about the future of all gaming vs 2 cups of coffee per month.
[..]
Stadia, will *eventually* replace console gaming, PC gaming, and phone gaming at a global scale (14 countries already)

quote:

I bought a fairly decent gaming laptop last year. Its about 8 pounds. Gigantic, too big for any normal laptop bag. Too heavy for most travel. I got kicked out of the main living area - it is so loud when you have a game running that you would think you entered a Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
And the battery lasts about 30 minutes, with or without a game running, probably due to the screen refresh rate, and processor.
It is almost 100% useless for non-gaming use.

I think I am going to sell it, before the Jig is up. Once everyone finds out about Stadia, it will have virtually zero resell value.

"Stadia <...> The Jig is Up"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It wouldn't be the game console of the future if you could play your games on the same day as everyone else.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Good news for Stadia, they only have to wait till March for the next decent game to launch

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

uvar posted:

I can't stop laughing about "the same year"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Here's an interesting thing: Stadia running on an e-reader.

According to the article, the lag is between 500 and 1000 milliseconds, which is obviously completely unplayable, but it's kind of neat that it works at all.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MechaCrash posted:

Here's an interesting thing: Stadia running on an e-reader.

According to the article, the lag is between 500 and 1000 milliseconds, which is obviously completely unplayable, but it's kind of neat that it works at all.

At the end of the video, the game stops working, but according to Vice, that’s because of the flaky Wi-Fi at Ørsted’s school. In other words, it looks like you can get Stadia to run on just about anything, as long as you’ve got solid Wi-Fi.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

raditts posted:

I can't stop laughing about "the same year"

The more... "optimistic" Stadiots have pointed out that "the same year" is, in fact, a superset of "the same day". Therefore, that tweet technically doesn't say the Stadia version won't release simultaneously with the other versions.

Yep, they're still holding out hope even after reading that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

At the end of the video, the game stops working, but according to Vice, that’s because of the flaky Wi-Fi at Ørsted’s school. In other words, it looks like you can get Stadia to run on just about anything, as long as you’ve got solid Wi-Fi.

Well, sure, it's just a Chromecast. Neat, but not really surprising.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

American McGay posted:

Gods & Monsters does look cool, I'll give you that.

I look forward to playing it on literally any other platform.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tempura Wizard posted:

To be fair the Switch version is dumbed down and looks and runs like rear end. Not that anyone should be playing Farming Simulator anyway unless it's just for loving around in multiplayer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would watch a LOT of channels like that guy who does nothing but lose at CoD and break his controllers.

Once, each.

ErrEff posted:

It's like a pyramid scam in that sense - once you've bought in and realize what you're getting, your only recourse it to offload it onto someone else while repeating the same marketing spiel you fell for yourself.
It Follows, the console.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 15, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, sure, it's just a Chromecast. Neat, but not really surprising.

The thing to remember is that the tech fundamentally driving Stadia does actually work. The actual issues with it are the devs have likely locked the doors and started in on the scotch in their bottom drawers and the real-world infrastructure logistics, which are irredeemably hosed for any kind of interactive streaming service.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ErrEff posted:

It's like a pyramid scam in that sense - once you've bought in and realize what you're getting, your only recourse it to offload it onto someone else while repeating the same marketing spiel you fell for yourself.
Stadians sound like MLM sellers or /r/bitcoin, because the psychology is basically the same.
"I've bought in to [thing]... but goddamn it! Everyone else thinks [thing] is garbage! Unless I can convince people that [thing] is good, my investment will disappear"

MLMs shill it everywhere because they're holding worthless inventory.
Bitcoiners shill it because they're holding worthless math problems.
Stadians shill it everywhere because $60 per game is on a server owned by a company known to kill everything that isn't an immediate success.

It's why you can basically swap stadia<-->bitcoin in most of the posts and it parses normally. They have to believe it's the one true future of gaming, or they'd have to accept they were idiots to buy in.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing to remember is that the tech fundamentally driving Stadia does actually work. The actual issues with it are the devs have likely locked the doors and started in on the scotch in their bottom drawers and the real-world infrastructure logistics, which are irredeemably hosed for any kind of interactive streaming service.
The real reason Stadia fell over sideways is the pricing model. Having an extremely limited library where you have to pay full release day price for games years old would kill any platform.

Comparisons with Netflix are difficult because the tv industry is older and more established and was easily able to increase supply to meet the demands of streaming services. In the gaming world there simply isn't the capacity to do the same for AAA or AA level games so the service would have to run off indie games, which would always leave Stadia feeling second rate. Basically there needs to be a whole paradigm shift to get the Netflix model working for games and that's what Google should have been working on doing but instead they seem to have solely focused on the tech (which infrastructure doesn't necessarily support yet) so the product is basically a really cool tech demo that isn't valuable to anybody in a real world sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

EA has been doing this for a while on their origin launcher. you subscribe, you can play anything on there until you unsubscribe