Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If they don't optimize the gently caress out of their net code so systems with over 100 people don't choke, I'm going to have a hard time finding a fun niche. My work / play schedule put me into an industrial role that would occasionally hit an anomaly or join an op. I just don't like how any time I jump into a system with those numbers, I get so frustrated that I want to throw my phone against the wall. Who needs warp bubbles when we can bring 200 alts to a system and gate camp through lag.

Yes, I'm still salty about losing my worm during the op because I couldn't do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
So, I barely did more than install this. A friend of mine told me there was no PVP in the game after I told him all I'd probably need is a rifter that can tackle people. Is this really going to be the case?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Seeing tnt and the huge glob of Chinese groups staged in the event system to lock it down was pretty eye opening. Not sure why I expected anything different, but there it is.

I didn't crash on my phone, but the sound glitches and general lag in there were miserable

App13
Dec 31, 2011

There is absolutely PVP in this game, just not in high sec

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bell_ posted:

So, I barely did more than install this. A friend of mine told me there was no PVP in the game after I told him all I'd probably need is a rifter that can tackle people. Is this really going to be the case?

Lol, there is. It was off in hisec, but it definitely exists.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Bell_ posted:

yeah, PVP is in the next beta, along with rifters that can tackle.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pvp will actually be outsourced to bungie who will do a p2p thing again which will totally work for this game

Rifters will be denied access, and you can only pvp in titans which must be bought with real money

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bell_ posted:

I PvP'd constantly. It just required some effort thought and hunting skill. And honestly not much of that. Like most days I would hop on undock from our home system and do a quick tour of the local belts and anoms and usually catch a neutral wildcatter or ratter.

The roams I was on generally had a fair level of success, the last night despite all the lag bunk we got several kills including a BC and a couple cruisers who just happened to be at the celestial we were rallying on.

My one retriever kill was when I was ratting in fountain and some nuet jumped into system and apparently thought "hmm two people I don't know in here, looks like a good place to mine.

I'm not worried too much about the lag at this point, this is a beta after all and according to the devs it had something like 10x the number of players that they were expecting so they should have a better idea of the compute resources required when it goes live.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
they need sov and to remove/delay local

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

they need sov and to remove/delay local

Blackout almost killed EO, but sure let's kill Echoes in the womb.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What did blackout do?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Evernoob posted:

What did blackout do?

Nullsec became like wormholes were you only showed up in local if you said anything. Which made little sense as there were still jumpgates in nullsec.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Evernoob posted:

What did blackout do?

ensured anyone not with an intel channel had zero information, so defenders had even more of an advantage than they did before, and attackers had to waste time scanning for targets in empty systems

so sort of a weaker boot.ini

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I always lived in wormholes when I played EVE, so I wouldn't mind too much. BUT I understand some people want it.

I think a re evaluation of lowsec, nullsec and npc Mulder is needed anyway. To make a clear reason for each of them to exist. Differentiate the rules so each person can settle in the nest they like the most

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Evernoob posted:

What did blackout do?

It caused people to leave faster than Incarna. Hyperbole aside, Eve was flatlining on the table and it's still in the ICU. If Hilmar gets replaced with a competent software CEO it has hope, though, because of they fix sov and caps the game would be in a decent spot.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ynglaur posted:

It caused people to leave faster than Incarna. Hyperbole aside, Eve was flatlining on the table and it's still in the ICU. If Hilmar gets replaced with a competent software CEO it has hope, though, because of they fix sov and caps the game would be in a decent spot.

Lol I forgot about incarna

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Skex posted:

Blackout almost killed EO, but sure let's kill Echoes in the womb.

imagine unironically thinking this

half of eve online's population is bots or mass multiboxers, no wonder they quit the day blackout goes live as they can't afk farm in 100% safety

EE doesn't have the same nullsec meta, and introducing a local removal or delay wouldn't hurt the krab base in nearly the same way, but give an actual chance to people wanting to kill people

local has been so fundamentally detrimental to eve online in the long term it's insane- being able to avoid ALL player interaction simply because you pay attention to the window has been the worst thing they could ever develop.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
At least "safespots" aren't a thing yet, and i'm okay with that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

local has been so fundamentally detrimental to eve online in the long term it's insane- being able to avoid ALL player interaction simply because you pay attention to the window has been the worst thing they could ever develop.

Imagine unironically thinking this.

I mean Eve Echoes is going to be ruined out the gate by tragic turbo nerds multiboxing on bluestacks so they can scan, tackle and kill folk without having to interact with other players. Dumping endless time into the game then whining whenever the developer makes things easier for casual players actually playing on mobile.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Evernoob posted:

Without probes, they were a thing in the beta. I don't know if anyone tried any grid-fu, but I plan to the next round. You could conceivably do deepsafes, but that would take days and be pointless without bookmarks.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Evernoob posted:

you can still kinda end up in one though, you just can't bookmark it

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I cannot imagine probing as it is now in EO is feasible on a touchscreen.
I could imagine launching a probe, and then waiting for 100% results over time depending on distance, sig radius and other paramaters, modified by skills to be a good alternative.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i think the best course of action is to remove the capacitor cost of warping, and not allow probe scanning or dscan or bookmarks

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

imagine unironically thinking this

half of eve online's population is bots or mass multiboxers, no wonder they quit the day blackout goes live as they can't afk farm in 100% safety

EE doesn't have the same nullsec meta, and introducing a local removal or delay wouldn't hurt the krab base in nearly the same way, but give an actual chance to people wanting to kill people

Keep earning that red text. The data is clear, the game took a huge quantifiable hit in activity and logins. You can make all of the emotional appeals you want it's not changing the data.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Skex posted:

Keep earning that red text. The data is clear, the game took a huge quantifiable hit in activity and logins. You can make all of the emotional appeals you want it's not changing the data.

go ahead and link to that data buddy

it's shocking a feature that kills nullsec bots (of which there are undebatably thousands) would cause a drop in the player numbers, am i right?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

or, another take

enjoy not being able to interact with the vast majority of nullsec players because they have a window that lets them know the INSTANT any threats are in system, yeah that's sure good for the health of the game

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

and here's a third one actually:

pretty much no one in eve online wants local in the game, they only prefer it in the current system as the rest of the game isn't balanced around local not-existing, an issue that EE doesn't have because it doesn't have anywhere close to the same type of PvE system or scalability.

your opinion is one of ignorance, you see the numbers but nothing beyond why they might be the way they are.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
is that a joke, the defenders still had intel channels (and in delve titans sitting on every gate) while the attackers now had nothing and indeed had to move even slower due to having to dscan for targets. roams dried out bad during blackout due to the added tedium

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

is that a joke, the defenders still had intel channels (and in delve titans sitting on every gate) while the attackers now had nothing and indeed had to move even slower due to having to dscan for targets. roams dried out bad during blackout due to the added tedium

did you actually play during the blackout lmfao, there are easy counters around having defenders sitting on every gate

also you need to pick a narrative- did it nerf defenders too much or did it nerf attackers?

likewise, i prefer a delay over removal, which would totally alleviate your concerns

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

have you been reading any of these posts, blackout was nothing but a buff to any vaguely-prepared defender. I dunno what "counters" you're talking about when half the time there weren't packs running in the first place

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

have you been reading any of these posts, blackout was nothing but a buff to any vaguely-prepared defender.

is that why "all the krabs ragequit?"

i actually played when blackout came out, i don't think there was a single pvper that actually complained, i have no idea how you come to the conclusion that it was a nerf to pvpers, that's pure delusion

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

how do you even come close to thinking that people didn't have to dscan every target either, and if your scan didn't find anything you'd just shotgun anyway-

the only time local mattered is when a person would fly into a system that had zero people in local, which is a rarity to the skilled hunter as they'd use dotlan or the ingame rats killed info to tell them where people are hunting

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

and here's a third one actually:

pretty much no one in eve online wants local in the game, they only prefer it in the current system as the rest of the game isn't balanced around local not-existing, an issue that EE doesn't have because it doesn't have anywhere close to the same type of PvE system or scalability.

your opinion is one of ignorance, you see the numbers but nothing beyond why they might be the way they are.

I really hope the Developers kill Eve Echoes for you because keeping out absolute game cancers like yourself would be great.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 16, 2020

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Aramoro posted:

I really hope the Developers kill Eve Echoes for you because keep absolute game cancers would be great.

i would expect nothing less from comment from someone who thinks local is a good game mechanic.

After Edit Post posted:

I really hope the Developers kill Eve Echoes for you because keeping out absolute game cancers like yourself would be great.

Cool post from guy who literally knows nothing about me nor what I do, nor what I've done to help goons in EE.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 16, 2020

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

is that why "all the krabs ragequit?"

i actually played when blackout came out, i don't think there was a single pvper that actually complained, i have no idea how you come to the conclusion that it was a nerf to pvpers, that's pure delusion

krabbing got way denser, get out of hisec for more than two seconds

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

krabbing got way denser, get out of hisec for more than two seconds

your assumption that I exclusively lived in highsec is born out of pure ignorance, did you do any research or are you just going off of what other idiots have said?

also, your statement doesn't contradict anything I've said, so go ahead and try again.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Yes please ruin my experience to cater to all the disability queens multiboxing a cellphone game.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

go ahead and link to that data buddy

it's shocking a feature that kills nullsec bots (of which there are undebatably thousands) would cause a drop in the player numbers, am i right?

https://imperium.news/its-the-economy-stupid-how-imperfect-data-can-tell-a-perfect-tale/

Here's the thing, people don't play just to be easy victims to lazy gankers, they play to achieve whatever goals they want to achieve, be that ganking freighters, FW, PvP, Null Sec Warfare or just watching their wallets grow. PvP in EVE is by it's very nature unbalanced with the majority of the advantage going to the aggressor once an engagement begins because the aggressor is generally getting to choose the terms of the engagement. They pick targets they believe they can defeat while avoiding those that they are certain to lose against. The imbalance between PVP and PVE fits means that you fit for one or the other. It's easy to say, Well just fit a point, the thing is that a point to someone engaging in PVE activities is a wasted module that serves no benefit to them in their chosen activity in fact it's a detriment because it will be taking the space of something that would be beneficial to their PVE activity, That's one of the things I do like about Echoes is that putting all of the tank gank and prop modules in the lows means that the mids don't give much benefit in PVE so there is little to no loss in efficiency by sticking a point in one.

Then you also have the fact that for PVP you are generally looking for maximum buffer because PVP is a sprint where you are racing you opponent to 0 EHP and if you can reduce their EHP to 0 first you win and then you worry about repairing later, PVE however is a marathon where you are having to tank a lower total dps over a sustained period so regeneration over time is a bigger factor, and save for a few gimmick bait setups, passive shield fits and bleeder fits you don't see active tanks in PVP because damage output of player ships is high enough that active setups simply can't keep up with the incoming dps and will almost always lose the race to 0. Add to that the fact that in order to maximize the efficiency of your PVE activities you need to bling up your mission ships with shinny faction and deadspace modules because let's be honest in general those activities tend to be mind-numbingly boring so you want to spend as little time doing them as you can so that you can spend more time doing other more interesting things. The best way to do that is to maximize your efficiency, so often the ratter is going to be flying billion+ isk fits compared to whatever tech II throwaway most PVPers are going to be using.

The result of this dynamic is that the only truly effective counter to a PVP attack when ratting is evasion, you run away, you dock up and wait for them to get bored or rally friends and turn the dynamic so that they are the hunted and they have to run. This is why Null sec relies on standing fleets and super umbrellas, just like we rely on the police and our militaries to protect us from criminals and other threats when we're at our jobs and aren't expected to walk around packing heat just to be able to answer phone calls or fill out paperwork at our jobs.

What you want is for people who prefer other activities to be served up on a silver platter for your entertainment, which is stupid, entitled and short sighted. You want "all the risk for thee and none for me". And don't talk to me about risk aversion, your preferred EVE activity is so zero risk that you literally have a calculation to decide whether it's worth your time to bother ganking someone and the only counter they had to that was using your own formula to make sure they weren't worth your time then you cried a loving river when CCP fixed the mechanic that you had been exploiting to enable your game-play.

As far as bots go? I don't give a poo poo about bots, never have, never will. They're an economic reality, as long as there are boring, repetitive activities that lend themselves to automation people will try to automate them. As long as there is a demand for something there will be those who will try to fill it. Further people who are botting professionally will find ways around whatever inconveniences are put into place as long as it remains profitable for them to do so and will usually be better at it than the casual players who are most impacted by those same measures. It's also kind of rich for a guy who was flying 8 ship bluestack fleets to whine about other people botting.

I want people playing these games, because without people playing and paying they won't exist. If the casual gamers decide to cancel because they can't hop on and run a couple of anomalies or suck down a few asteroids without getting ganked unless they are spamming dscan every 10 seconds then there won't be any targets to hunt because there won't be a game period. Hunters need prey, and if you make things too difficult or unsafe for the prey then the hunters starve.

This isn't some complex concept to grasp, but apparently it's beyond the ken of the genius elite-pvpers such as yourself.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2020

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Skex posted:

This isn't some complex concept to grasp, but apparently it's beyond the ken of the genius elite-pvpers such as yourself.

don't bother, hiseccers don't listen to logic

e: ...no actually do bother even if they don't, that was a really good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Skex posted:

https://imperium.news/its-the-economy-stupid-how-imperfect-data-can-tell-a-perfect-tale/

Here's the thing, people don't play just to be easy victims to lazy gankers, they play to achieve whatever goals they want to achieve, be that ganking freighters, FW, PvP, Null Sec Warfare or just watching their wallets grow. PvP in EVE is by it's very nature unbalanced with the majority of the advantage going to the aggressor once an engagement begins because the aggressor is generally getting to choose the terms of the engagement. They pick targets they believe they can defeat while avoiding those that they are certain to lose against. The imbalance between PVP and PVE fits means that you fit for one or the other. It's easy to say, Well just fit a point, the thing is that a point to someone engaging in PVE activities is a wasted module that serves no benefit to them in their chosen activity in fact it's a detriment because it will be taking the space of something that would be beneficial to their PVE activity, That's one of the things I do like about Echoes is that putting all of the tank gank and prop modules in the lows means that the mids don't give much benefit in PVE so there is little to no loss in efficiency by sticking a point in one.

Then you also have the fact that for PVP you are generally looking for maximum buffer because PVP is a sprint where you are racing you opponent to 0 EHP and if you can reduce their EHP to 0 first you win and then you worry about repairing later, PVE however is a marathon where you are having to tank a lower total dps over a sustained period so regeneration over time is a bigger factor, and save for a few gimmick bait setups, passive shield fits and bleeder fits you don't see active tanks in PVP because damage output of player ships is high enough that active setups simply can't keep up with the incoming dps and will almost always lose the race to 0. Add to that the fact that in order to maximize the efficiency of your PVE activities you need to bling up your mission ships with shinny faction and deadspace modules because let's be honest in general those activities tend to be mind-numbingly boring so you want to spend as little time doing them as you can so that you can spend more time doing other more interesting things. The best way to do that is to maximize your efficiency, so often the ratter is going to be flying billion+ isk fits compared to whatever tech II throwaway most PVPers are going to be using.

The result of this dynamic is that the only truly effective counter to a PVP attack when ratting is evasion, you run away, you dock up and wait for them to get bored or rally friends and turn the dynamic so that they are the hunted and they have to run. This is why Null sec relies on standing fleets and super umbrellas, just like we rely on the police and our militaries to protect us from criminals and other threats when we're at our jobs and aren't expected to walk around packing heat just to be able to answer phone calls or fill out paperwork at our jobs.

First of all, all these assumptions are incorrect: you can easily fit a ratting ship to survive pvp encounters, but GOD FORBID ratters hurt their efficiency by 20% to do so! This is a classic carebear highsec pubbie argument- I should be able to fit all the PvE modules I want and should never have to plan around PvPers, and for the most part everyone is able to do this because local existed. Also, god forbid people cooperate and work together to accomplish their goals instead of being able to avoid 100% of interaction simply by looking at a window that alerts them the second a threat presents itself. Your post strikes me as a person who has a brief understanding of eve online but who has actually never hunted in nullsec- I'd like to see your killboard of your massive fleet engagements and a handful of solo pvp kills that are almost exclusively throwaway frigates.

Skex posted:

What you want is for people who prefer other activities to be served up on a silver platter for your entertainment, which is stupid, entitled and short sighted. You want "all the risk for thee and none for me". And don't talk to me about risk aversion, your preferred EVE activity is so zero risk that you literally have a calculation to decide whether it's worth your time to bother ganking someone and the only counter they had to that was using your own formula to make sure they weren't worth your time then you cried a loving river when CCP fixed the mechanic that you had been exploiting to enable your game-play.

Once again, you're totally missing the point. I'm not asking for what you're saying, I'm saying that simply being able to avoid ALL PLAYER INTERACTION simply by looking at a chat window is absolutely awful game design and balance. I honestly can't see anyone willfully defending local chat existing, and you've done a great job of attacking me and strawmans while avoiding this fact- Do you think local chat is a good thing to have?

Skex posted:

I want people playing these games, because without people playing and paying they won't exist. If the casual gamers decide to cancel because they can't hop on and run a couple of anomalies or suck down a few asteroids without getting ganked unless they are spamming dscan every 10 seconds then there won't be any targets to hunt because there won't be a game period. Hunters need prey, and if you make things too difficult or unsafe for the prey then the hunters starve.

Wow and it's almost as if there are a plethora of options for players to utilize to compensate for a local removal and/or delay that aren't currently used because there is absolutely no need. There are groups (per Good Dumplings) that according to him, completely adapted and adapted so hard that it was EASIER to rat than before! Amazing!