Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/1217118920991264768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

So Obama is an even bigger sexist for actually defeating Hillary and then becoming president. For 8 years no less.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
now presenting your candidate for us president sarah palin. well it’s sexist not to vote for her so

I hate that the alt right ruined the phrase because this poo poo is virtual signaling to the extreme

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that's like the one phrase the alt-right uses that they didn't ruin, because nobody else ever used it and it's basically incoherent outside of their specific value set

like anyone else looking at this would probably determine that the problem here isn't that this guy is "signaling virtue" it's that this pampered bald gently caress has appointed himself the Lorax of womankind in order to launder his self-serving regressive positions through a more marginalized and sympathetic third party

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

So Obama is an even bigger sexist for actually defeating Hillary and then becoming president. For 8 years no less.

thanks obama

one of the few good things he did

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
obama beat a white woman and I did nothing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's like the one phrase the alt-right uses that they didn't ruin, because nobody else ever used it and it's basically incoherent outside of their specific value set

like anyone else looking at this would probably determine that the problem here isn't that this guy is "signaling virtue" it's that this pampered bald gently caress has appointed himself the Lorax of womankind in order to launder his self-serving regressive positions through a more marginalized and sympathetic third party

The original, quite probably first, usage was describing corporate advertising that describes their "values" or tells you about the pittance they raised for charity or mentioning the amount of green energy they use.

It was absolutely captured by assholes

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

got any sevens posted:

thanks obama

one of the few good things he did

I dunno, Clinton beating McCain, or losing to him, might have been overall preferable. Its not like Obama accomplished much, and pushing back "first black president" 10-12 years could've been a net positive. Obama himself has has said he thinks his presidency might have come too early. Another decade of letting the pre-civil rights generations die off and i bet there would've been less visceral backlash (Trump).

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I dunno, Clinton beating McCain, or losing to him, might have been overall preferable. Its not like Obama accomplished much, and pushing back "first black president" 10-12 years could've been a net positive. Obama himself has has said he thinks his presidency might have come too early. Another decade of letting the pre-civil rights generations die off and i bet there would've been less visceral backlash (Trump).

I don't buy that for a minute. The problem is structural, not demographic.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

having a "right moment" is terminally lib bullshit

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My presidency came too early! The sun was in my eyes! It wasn't my fault, I swear to God!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obama didn't do poo poo because he didn't want to do poo poo, and assumed the Republicans would continue the status quo in the end of history.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
p sure that obama was the greatest failure of american democracy for a century or so. but he was black, and thats great

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/TrinityMustache/status/1217187423626510336
Sometimes I wish bernie bros were the rabid monsters everyone thinks they are.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You're in the right thread

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

welcome to the Republican party

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Bodyisturd/status/1217545563538894856?s=19

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

did this ever actually happen

cause if it did that owns

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

did this ever actually happen

cause if it did that owns

yes in that someone created a small debate watch event called "Bern the Witch" on a page anyone could edit, no in the sense that the campaign had nothing to do with it (and images indicating such are forgeries) and the "Hillary at the Stake" image is unrelated, dates from 2017, and has no evidence it actually comes from Clinton opponents vs. Clintonite trolls

unsurprisingly David Brock is involved

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
when you think about it, union organizing is coordinated harassment against the employer. not a good look, tbh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That event was bad because it associates witches, who are good, with Hillary Clinton, who is bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

No.

I get that you're coming from a good place, but you can never let bigots set the pace of social progress or justice..

Because they will never be ready and there will always be more of them coming along.

Forever quoting Letter From Birmingham Jail.

quote:

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers.

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No.

I get that you're coming from a good place, but you can never let bigots set the pace of social progress or justice..

Because they will never be ready and there will always be more of them coming along.

Forever quoting Letter From Birmingham Jail.

That quote should just get the :umberto: treatment with how often it gets used on these forums. Same thing with Sartre's Anti-Semite and Jew.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1217355171757535232

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they also thought bernie was a terrible choice for 2020 lmfao

loving liberals trying to be cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I don’t know all the new Twitter features so is that person hiding all of the replies that disagree with them? awesome website

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jenny Agutter posted:

I don’t know all the new Twitter features so is that person hiding all of the replies that disagree with them? awesome website

Yes, but there’s a handy button that shows you all the the ones that have been hidden, so it’s almost like a curated collection of the best replies. Plus you also know that the OP had to interact with each one of those tweets to hide it so it’s the same validation as watching someone crumple a letter or angrily tear a poster off the wall. I thought it was a terrible feature at first but I’m starting to come around

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Yes, but there’s a handy button that shows you all the the ones that have been hidden, so it’s almost like a curated collection of the best replies. Plus you also know that the OP had to interact with each one of those tweets to hide it so it’s the same validation as watching someone crumple a letter or angrily tear a poster off the wall. I thought it was a terrible feature at first but I’m starting to come around

it's a perfect feature to get the sites biggest babies to publicly tell on themselves

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Jenny Agutter posted:

blocking anyone who disagrees too, which iirc algorithms down the replies

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this whole thread reflects a truly amazing lack of self-awareness

https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1217901623562752001

yeah it sure is bad when people weaponize allegations of sexism to suppress criticism of their preferred candidate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1217733933393158144?s=20

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

this whole thread reflects a truly amazing lack of self-awareness

https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1217901623562752001

yeah it sure is bad when people weaponize allegations of sexism to suppress criticism of their preferred candidate

B-but I wanna be the victim! When you attack me for attacking trans people you are literally weaponizing reality against me. What about me huh? Did you ever stop and think about that? :argh:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

christmas boots posted:

it owns because I replied to that tweet a few hours after she wrote it and she still hid my reply and blocked me which means she was spinning her wheels in that thread for hours

loving imagine lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SpaceGoku posted:

it owns because I replied to that tweet a few hours after she wrote it and she still hid my reply and blocked me which means she was spinning her wheels in that thread for hours

loving imagine lol

Seriously. We didn't have these kinds of analytics before. It's fantastic!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
"no biological basis for mental illnesses" holy what

https://twitter.com/Labadore64/status/1217824918240481280

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

szasz has some pretty good points, in that what an illness is is fairly arbitrary and we define them from some social purpose - so he has a decent foucaultian narrative going about the pathologisation of previously otherwise handled mental states etc. what an illness actually is is pretty difficult stuff

of course, neuropsychology is a Thing which exitsts and is entirely legitimate, there's clear genetic predispositions to stuff like addictions etc so lol of course there's biological bases for mental illnesses

the myth of mental illness is one of those texts where i genuinely do think that it's a valuable perspective for mental health professionals, while at the same time being mostly wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

chmods please posted:

"no biological basis for mental illnesses" holy what

https://twitter.com/Labadore64/status/1217824918240481280

these psyops are getting more sophisticated

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot take: women shouldn't talk about inceldom because it's a male issue. It's the equivalent of a man talking about how periods are gross or c-sections are the best delivery method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

O Yeetus posted:

Hot take: women shouldn't talk about inceldom because it's a male issue. It's the equivalent of a man talking about how periods are gross or c-sections are the best delivery method

wasnt the term incel literally coined by a woman to describe herself