Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My wish is just rotate mechanics. Pick 4 per league plus the new one.

Maybe have everything available via Zana idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There's really no reason Cassia shouldn't be a master, and Tane should be a master if they keep the mechanic. I feel like there's little enough going on with Tane that it's fine to just not keep it outside of Zana mods/sextants/whatever, since we wouldn't really be losing any mechanics or uniques. Cassia is absolutely enough of a Thing when you see her for her to just be a master. I kind of feel like the only reason they haven't added masters is because they don't want to end up giving everyone 9 master missions per day on the atlas, but the whole new master system is basically DESIGNED to be modular and allow adding new mechanics to it...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I got bored

code:
League      Description                                 Presence
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metamorph   Frankenstein loot piñata                    Probably chance in maps
Blight      Tower defense                               Chance in maps
Legion      Strongboxes on steroids                     Chance in maps, Delve node, Incursion temple
Synthesis   Carcassone + bullshit crafting mechanic     Unique maps from Zana
Betrayal    Pictures, thumb tacks, red string           Throughout, Master
Delve       Dig Dug                                     Throughout, Master
Incursion   Reverse Breach + time travel                Throughout, Master
Bestiary    Pokemon                                     Throughout, Master
Abyss       Step over thing to spawn monsters, green    Throughout, Delve node
Harbinger   Dr. Manhattan spawns a bunch of monsters    Zana mission, Delve node, unique maps
Legacy      Mix and match old leagues                   No point in adding it
Breach      Step over thing to spawn monsters, purple   Chance in maps, Delve node
Essence     Slightly targeted crafting                  Throughout, Delve node
Prophecy    Miss Cleo reads your future                 Throughout
Perandus    Gooooooooooold                              Betrayal and Metamorph reward, Delve node
Talisman    Necklaces and furries                       Betrayal and Metamorph reward, Delve node
Warbands    Themed mobs                                 Couple of map bosses, Delve nodes
Tempest     Ground effects that affect everyone         Temple, Prophecy
Torment     Ghosts, pretty spoopy                       Throughout
Bloodlines  Magic mobs++                                Throughout
Rampage     Kill fast, go faster                        Unique item mod
Beyond      Scarier bosses                              Map mod, Delve node
Invasion    Scary bosses                                Zana mission
Ambush      Strongboxes                                 Throughout
Domination  Shrines                                     Throughout
Nemesis     Headhunter and some non-HH stuff            Throughout (except for the Headhunter)
Anarchy     Rogue exiles                                Throughout
Onslaught   Monsters go zoom-zoom                       Map mod

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 15, 2020

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There's a Breach node in Delve too.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Magus42 posted:

and beyond and essence and I think talisman ...

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Tane dropped a 40% ice nova hat for my coc assassin

nice

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Magus42 posted:

No Safe Word posted:

and beyond and essence and I think talisman ...

Shows you how much I touch Delve. Fixed.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

I got bored

drat, if you get perspective like this there is so much just stuff in poe, it's actually impressive

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Legion room in Temple as well.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Legion room in Temple as well.

I don't know what you're talking about, I put that on there :ninja:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Oh yeah, there's Breach in Temple too

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Holy poo poo that was a pretty wild 2 hours of gameplay.

- Spawned and killed all 4 guardians, got Awakened Minion Damage drop - sold for 4ex
- Killed Sirus, got Awakened Controlled Destruction - sold for 4ex
- Chaos spam crafted an amulet with +1 to all chaos skill gems, T1 chaos over time multi, T1 % max energy shield and +30 to all attributes - sold for 8ex
- Killed Elder, got watchers eye drop with "gain %of physical as lightning affected by wrath", and "% chance of double damage while using pride".... with a pride equipped char

brb buying lottery ticket

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Well it happened. A Mirror of Kalandra dropped outta nowhere. I'm super hyped but I have no idea what character to build with it. I've been playing since breach league but I'd say I'm a nowhere near an expert on anything in this game and have no knowledge of builds that require as much currency as I just picked up at all. I typically play builds with around a 5ex budget, so I could use some help.

I'm looking at a lot of the top end builds and a lot of them seem pretty confusing. The absolute last thing I want to do is start a build that I don't really understand completely based on a PoB and realize that I don't have enough currency to actually get it where it needs to be and from some of the builds I've looked at (Savior/Paradoxica flicker strike in particular) it seems like everything could cost well over a mirror if I'm min-maxing and requires a lot of knowledge I don't have to make work.

I'm looking for something top tier (super fast move speed, good dps, high survivability) that's fun to play and easy enough to understand. Preferably something with a build guide or video guide as, like I said, I'm not super comfortable just winging a build based off a PoB and at this level of investment, don't want to screw something up. I'm sweating making the right decision and could use your guys help for sure. What builds would you guys recommend?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I swear to god goons have the highest luck per capita but where are my mirrors and headhunters :argh:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Christ, that’s what, 5 goon mirrors?

That frost blades raider os supposed to be pretty great with investment. I forget who made it but there’s a good guide written

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It does suck that when you are actually mirroring something this league you are probably giving money to someone who just exploited the item into existence which is lame.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Patch notes for 3.9.2b

quote:

Fixed a bug where Terror of the Infinite Drifts' Burrow skill could cause her to get stuck in terrain or leave the encounter area in Tane's Laboratory.

:lol: Shakari would just peace out sometimes? what a boss

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It does suck that when you are actually mirroring something this league you are probably giving money to someone who just exploited the item into existence which is lame.

What do you mean? What’s being exploited?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

We mirrorposting? I've played nearly every league since open beta and had a mirror drop for me for the first time a few weeks back around level 55 in the drat forest in act 6(?) of all places.

Bought a headhunter and pimped out my bleedsplosion shield thrower that I found the mirror on, now torn between a poison BV or a shattering Stormburst assassin for the next character.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Anyone having more luck than me is an exploit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why was the content from Synthesis League scraped? It looks rather involved to develop, it must have been really unpopular if they just got rid of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah a lot of people dislike synthesis.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Nothing anymore, but almost all mirror tier items this league were crafted with a method that no longer works. It allowed you to lock half the mods on an item when you moved over an influenced mod with an Awakener's Orb. Meaning that you could end up with an item with 4 or 5 perfect mods somewhat easily. It wasn't really an exploit but it also didn't work completely as intended either and on top of that was FAR too powerful for crafting so it had to be changed.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rutibex posted:

Why was the content from Synthesis League scraped? It looks rather involved to develop, it must have been really unpopular if they just got rid of it.

The no-go zones were very buggy on release. Combinatoric explosion meant it was hard to identify what fractured rares were good AND you had to refer to spreadsheets to figure out what you could make. The map making part was mentally taxing and prone to errors. You also had limited "map" inventory space and their ilvl, modifiers were important. There were also big issues with loot prioritization (big chains filled up your inventory and there was no stash access and aborting a map run was counter productive).

It's a shame because I found it fun, but it's kind of too big to go core; but they spent a shitload of time and money on it, particularly in voice acting. And the rares were bonkers, though I wasn't able to make any.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rutibex posted:

It was incredibly unpopular.

You had bosses that could roll random mods including poo poo like reflect, ailment avoid, or elemental pen that would invalidate a lot of builds. The rewards were extremely meh.

Crafting poo poo required top-end T1 rolls that couldn't be modified in any way; so 99.95% of all league drops were worthless.

The metagame would routinely bug out and prevent you from reaching the bosses, which the challenges for the league were heavily tied to.

etc.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Rutibex posted:

Mostly because there wasn't much point in using the main reward mechanic, synthesizing items. Basically you would do the league content and it would drop "fractured" items, which were regular items but with unusual implicit mods. You could then combine three of them to make a new "synthesized" item that had some of the implicits of the component items.

The problem was that most of the implicits were worthless, and there were almost zero instructions about how implicits were transferred to the synthesized item. So it basically boiled down to fractured items with the few good implicits becoming insanely valuable, meaning that the only people who could make good synthesized items were the ones who already had a ton of money to buy the good fractured items. Anyone without a bunch of currency got nothing out of it, because all the fractured items they found were poo poo, and nobody knew what to do with them.

On top of that, the league content was a super-fiddly Carcassone-like board game where you stitched together tiny areas to run. It was way too much work to do anything with it, and as explained above, 99% of players only got lovely items out of it anyway. So nobody really liked it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It didn’t make any sense in the first week and that was a death knell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Rutibex posted:

It sucked poo poo.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Synthesis was so poorly received the lead developer issued a an apology about it.

Papercut posted:

It sucked poo poo.

Actually, I'll believe you'll find that it both sucked and blew.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The entire system suffered from a lot of things that they've corrected for the most part in future leagues. Key takeaways:

Everything was too random. The leagues primary mechanic was going into these degrading maps and reach some stabilizers in the corners of them before they fell apart completely, problem was that the RNG would gently caress you incredibly often blocking paths and such. It also heavily penalized you for using movement skills like shield dash. The crafting was entirely random with most of the poo poo that would drop being incredibly bad. You needed ton of storage space to hold the crap before synthesizing and it never really felt satisfying unless you pulled some obscene implicits on the gear in which case you could make some truly bullshit gear.

The system also was the epitome of the failing mantra of "Do x for certain amount of time then do y or else you miss out on potential rewards"

Its regrettable because Zana's voice acting during the fractured maps was memetic and funny, and the boss fights were actually pretty cool but its lasting legacy will be how hard it failed and caused some really good changes to the game. The complete elimination of the old content mantra for one that lets you chose when to run content. No more bullshit obscure crafting mechanics. Significantly less likely to be hosed by RNG league mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

whypick1 posted:

Synthesis was so poorly received the lead developer issued a an apology about it.

Haha this is amazing. Synthesis League must have been bad. :v:

Chris posted:

we fully acknowledge that it is not our best league and is not up to the quality standards that Path of Exile players should expect from us. It will not be merged into the core game in 3.7.0. Maybe we can do something with it in the future, but we have no current plans.

I'm sure with a bit of spit an polish it could be reworked into something good. I watched a GDC talk "Designing Path of Exile to Be Played Forever" where a Chris Wilson talks about PoE development philosophy. They like to have a lot of assets in their back pocket and reuse things in clever ways. I'm sure it will come back, but good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sad part about Synthesis is how much work went into it. The amount of VA alone is insane.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Synthesis had a lots of great things it did right, and way way way more it did horribly wrong. It's a bit sad all the VO work mostly disappeared because there was some great stuff there.

The fact that the league mechanic of synthesizing items was essentially unplayable without datamining was a pretty huge mistake, and even then it was still incomprehensible to 99% of players.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly thought they were going to have Cavas as a sort of alternate to Shaper/Elder just because of how much voice acting there was with maybe an extreme encounter with all 3 of their bullshit at the same time but nope. One of the least represented leagues in game right now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really liked the nexus in synthesis and I think if they had found a way to streamline it more it could have worked in the base game. Synthesizing itself though was terrible, too complicated for most players and incredibly overpowered for the 1%. Losing all the lore stuff was definitely a shame too.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I reckon they should add Synthesis in by dropping the boardgame entirely, and making the memories you run in maps (10% chance of appearing or whatever) have loot chests instead of stabilisers at the edges. No fractured items but a chance of items with syntheises implicits. They could occasionally drop synthesised maps like you can get from currently zana missions etc. That way you get the voice acting plot stuff and cut out most of the awkwardness.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nobody is even mentioning the power creep of synthesized items and how it made the stuff you scrapped together felt totally worthless compared to someone running around with a +10 empower level bow or permanent onslaught boots or whatever else with 3 dumb strong stats attached to the item.

This has more ES then most body armor someone just starting out would have.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Woot I found my first Unique worth wearing! :haw:

I mostly like it for the 20% magic-find but 10% movement speed in a helmet is something that I assume can't normally happen and I'll certainly take that too! The lightning resistance is just icing, but the accuracy rating is entirely wasted on my undead army. Ah well, its worth it for the movement speed and magic-find alone.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Woot I found my first Unique worth wearing! :haw:

I mostly like it for the 20% magic-find but 10% movement speed in a helmet is something that I assume can't normally happen and I'll certainly take that too! The lightning resistance is just icing, but the accuracy rating is entirely wasted on my undead army. Ah well, its worth it for the movement speed and magic-find alone.

:)