Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...the survival guide said this episode was good? What the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

...the survival guide said this episode was good? What the hell

I was about to say the same thing lol. Maybe it's going by importance, due to the introduction of Annie?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Mike and Nadine checking in as Mr and Mrs "Inkman" from Montana is pretty interesting (Lynch, the writer, grew up in Montana). Maybe a nod that Lynch is not really in control right now?

Once I saw the theory that all of S1 and S2 is Audrey's dream as she deals with her abuse, this episode actually has a lot of interesting threads. (you have to start with the premise that Laura/Leland was a deflection of Audrey's mind that couldn't fully accept that the abuse happened to her, and it was actually Ben/Audrey). You can imagine while Cooper is a projection there for Audrey to expose the abuse to her own conscious mind, Josie was there to protect her mind from the secret. Now that protector is gone, and now in this episode a) puzzle box that eventually explodes on Audrey in the bank , b) Ben over and over again saying how guilty he is introduced in having secrets, and c) similarities between Audrey and Annie (look at the skirt when she first appears and and the way Cooper stops in his tracks when ordering breakfast like he did when first meeting Audrey). Audrey is giving her own character a happy ending to be whisked away by a new handsome stranger, but it's definitely too good to be true since as soon as she does that a new manifestation of herself pops up where we can see more of her trauma.

I don't know if I fully buy this but it's fun to re-watch with a new filter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress gently caress gently caress I had managed to successfully forget the Ben Horne/Mrs. Haywood storyline goddammit :argh: I had also completely forgotten Eckhardt's Assistant was a thing.

The Pine Weasel fashion show completely falling apart was fun comedy, and I love how Mike's terrible cover completely falls apart in seconds when he and Nadine are checking in.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm really having fun with the 'It's all in Audrey's mind' theory. A few more random things follow that I didn't realize at first.

Save the Pine Weasel! Ben *IS* the pine weasel! He's a weasel who works out of a pine-paneled office. He's endangered because Audrey almost realized their secret.

John Justice Wheeler is a projection/version of younger Ben Horne, maybe before he started molesting her and and getting sucked into dastardly deals like Ghostwood and One-eyed Jacks. Or maybe how Audrey wishes her dad was in the past, or possibly younger Audrey became attracted to her dad at this time. Much of his dialog with Ben makes sense in this light.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
One of my co-workers messaged me to say he's looking into motorized drapes for his new house. I asked if they're silent :allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Once I saw the theory that all of S1 and S2 is Audrey's dream as she deals with her abuse, this episode actually has a lot of interesting threads.

I don't know if I fully buy this but it's fun to re-watch with a new filter.

That's a good way to approach it, imo. It's probably from that rambling 3-hour video you mentioned. The guy starts with that (and I didn't watch more because of all the :tinfoil:).

Just to get a little argumentative, though: The entire theory puts way too much stake into symbolic objects having a fixed meaning. Lynch works by intuition, not by mathematics. He slowly imbues objects with meaning over the course of the show. Just because something ends up meaning a certain thing doesn't mean it's always been that way.

There are clearly parallels between Laura's and Audrey's stories. It's good to compare the two, and look for meaning there. However, turning them forcefully into the same story is simply reductive, and does neither one justice.

Additionally, I think it's lame that the theory relegates all other characters to being stand-ins for Audrey's fractured psyche. What the heck does Pete stand for, then? Is that the part of Audrey that just wants to make lures all day, and likes to review Capablanca games? In any case, Mulholland Drive has nearly the same plot twist. Surely, it's not adequate to read all his work this way.

Episode 23:
Man, Billy Zane is just so punchable. He was pretty much born to play that douchebag in Titanic, wasn't he?

"Eddie, we have to call a spade a spade. We're breaking up." :aaa:

Analysis time:
So, what happened to Josie? I quite frankly don't know why her soul is in a drawer pull. :shrug:

The thing I do understand is that there has been a struggle for power between Josie and Catherine from the start. As they fight for control over the mill, they demonstrate their power through the clothes they wear. You can see them in the pilot with opposite coloured coats. In other episodes, Catherine and Josie wear similarly glamorous night gowns while trying to outsmart one another.

Particularly Catherine in her kimono looks a lot like some kind of Japanese warlord, imo. Either way, their attire is very regal. While Catherine is well suited for this type of seductive scheming, Josie seems incapable of it, in some way. Most of her lies are ineffective, and her big play against Catherine fails spectacularly. In some sense, Catherine maintains her power throughout by choosing her clothes wisely. Mr. Tojamura, you might argue, is simply her most effective demonstration of power and manipulative prowess, yet. It's so outrageous, even Ben Horne falls for it.

When Catherine returns, she strips Josie of the freedom to compete in the fashion game as a punishment. Josie is forced to play servant in a degrading maid's outfit. By this point, she has lost all agency. Maybe Pete bringing Catherine a set of mammy salt and pepper shakers (ep. 23) is supposed to symbolise this, as well. (Or it's just a racist prop, I dunno.)

At the start of the pilot, her applying make-up and humming was somehow creepy, menacing. In her final episode, it's become a sad final attempt at concealing her face before walking to her certain death. She is putting on a costume to play a part in Catherine's plan.

Episode 24:
This episode reveals why the chess setup doesn't work out in the long run. There are all these wild claims about what Earle wants out of this game, and none of them make the game any more tense. We're basically going from an extremely rigged game: "He wants to take as many pieces as he can get away with" to a pretty standard one: "He wants to take valuable pieces".

On a more positive note, I like the massive discrepancy between how defeatist Coop seems, and how much of a clown the real Earle is. He says: "If Windom wanted to kill me, I'd already be dead." I don't think so, tbh. It seems more like his fear of Earle is making him overestimate the guy in a major way.

El Jeffe posted:

I was about to say the same thing lol. Maybe it's going by importance, due to the introduction of Annie?

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that any episode that has Denise in a major role would be inferior to an episode with John Justice Wheeler. Actually, I never looked at that guide all that closely. It's kind of fixating on the James side story, which is pretty much relegated to a tiny fraction of the show. In general, the whole Miss Twin Peaks plot is way worse for the show because it infects every plot line from here on out. Imo, the worst episodes are still coming. I bet it's the one with the plane.

Rageaholic, could I get a screenshot of
- The salt shakers in episode 23. (I hope I was imagining that poo poo.)
- Josie clasping the gun to her chest before her death (I'm trying to get a good image of the dress)
- Cooper hugging Truman and smiling, please?

edit: Inserting images and commas.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 16, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

And More posted:

There are clearly parallels between Laura's and Audrey's stories. It's good to compare the two, and look for meaning there. However, turning them forcefully into the same story is simply reductive, and does neither one justice.

Additionally, I think it's lame that the theory relegates all other characters to being stand-ins for Audrey's fractured psyche. What the heck does Pete stand for, then? Is that the part of Audrey that just wants to make lures all day, and likes to review Capablanca games? In any case, Mulholland Drive has nearly the same plot twist. Surely, it's not adequate to read all his work this way.

SNIP'd

Fan theories can be fun to think about, but I don't really put any stock in them. And this one is certainly no different, but point of fact... Mulholland Drive did reportedly begin as an Audrey spin-off show. So maybe the similarity you note can't be dismissed quite as easily as otherwise possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Earle suffers from a depressingly common issue in a lot of TV shows where other characters TELL us that <x> is some super-genius criminal mastermind and assume that's enough for the viewer, while <x> never actually demonstrates anything to justify their reputation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Rageaholic, could I get a screenshot of
- The salt shakers in episode 23. (I hope I was imagining that poo poo.)
- Josie clasping the gun to her chest before her death (I'm trying to get a good image of the dress)
- Cooper hugging Truman and smiling, please?

What salt shakers though? I see some at the diner but there's nothing out of the ordinary about them.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
they should've shown josie just chilling inside a random doorknob in season 3

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

What salt shakers though? I see some at the diner but there's nothing out of the ordinary about them.

At the beginning of the episode where Catherine and Andrew are sitting at the table.
I know exactly what he means and he is not imagining things.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Origami Dali posted:

they should've shown josie just chilling inside a random doorknob in season 3

Ben Horne hears a humming sound that is very reminiscent of her singing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Fan theories can be fun to think about, but I don't really put any stock in them. And this one is certainly no different, but point of fact... Mulholland Drive did reportedly begin as an Audrey spin-off show. So maybe the similarity you note can't be dismissed quite as easily as otherwise possible.

Granted, I've heard that as well. Still, a spin-off probably would have turned Audrey into the protagonist instead of just one of like 20 important characters. My Pete-argument stands, imo.

Jerusalem posted:

Earle suffers from a depressingly common issue in a lot of TV shows where other characters TELL us that <x> is some super-genius criminal mastermind and assume that's enough for the viewer, while <x> never actually demonstrates anything to justify their reputation.

It's way more absurd here than in any other show I've seen, though. You have Cooper with his "cold as a diamond" stuff and then we cut to Earle prancing about the forest like a deranged wood elf. You can easily call it imcompetence on the part of the writers, but to me it seems kind of intentional.

AstroWhale posted:

At the beginning of the episode where Catherine and Andrew are sitting at the table.
I know exactly what he means and he is not imagining things.

Thank you. That was messing with my mind. I have taken a crappy photo with my loving phone, now:

:allears: You can't beat that.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 16, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maarak posted:

Ben Horne hears a humming sound that is very reminiscent of her singing.

There's a funny throw-away line from Ben in one of the early S2 episodes about how you can move furniture around and get resonant energies.

And More posted:

Granted, I've heard that as well. Still, a spin-off probably would have turned Audrey into the protagonist instead of just one of like 20 important characters. My Pete-argument stands, imo.

Just to play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate, I don't think every character and scene would have to exactly mirror some real world happening or memory. I haven't seen all of Lynch's movies but my impression is that he sees these surreal spaces as more richly populated than real life. But if I had to guess specifically about Pete, probably her dog (Pete the Poodle)

But I 100% agree with your earlier comment. Even if this is a mostly true theory, it doesn't obviate other theories or interpretations that focus on other characters' psyches, the plot driven interpretations, commentary on media or American life, audience expectations, etc. Not everything is symbolism, but that doesn't mean we will know what is or isn't until we look.

And More posted:

It's way more absurd here than in any other show I've seen, though. You have Cooper with his "cold as a diamond" stuff and then we cut to Earle prancing about the forest like a deranged wood elf. You can easily call it imcompetence on the part of the writers, but to me it seems kind of intentional.

Running with the "it's Audrey's, or somebody's dream" theory, let's imagine Cooper is a doctor or therapist helping Audrey (or Laura, or Ronette, or whoever) come to terms with her past abuse. Let's also imagine this doctor is insane after losing his wife. Cooper is the "hold it together" public persona of this doctor, but more and more Audrey starts to notice the crazy (on haloperidol?) persona of Windom Earl appearing. Or if this is a step too far, imagine that Cooper is a projection of the doctor who initially wants Audrey to find the truth, but then realizes at some point that the truth is so devastating that he needs to be very careful in how to protect Audrey. Possibly she was about to learn or did learn at the big reveal but then tried to commit suicide. Windom could be a projection of the doctor who seems evil to her because he's specifically targeting the horrible memories of sexual trauma.

The owl cave scenes are important here. Annie (as Audrey) recognizes something that starts to trigger a memory of sexual abuse when she was younger. Cooper goes there but is too concerned to delve deeper, preferring to try to tread carefully. He is excited for the clue and asks us to trust him. Windom is more willing to exploit this trauma to get answers.

Note how often Windom's clothing mirrors Cooper's.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Note how often Windom's clothing mirrors Cooper's.

:golfclap: You've actually somehow convinced me that I can't dismiss this theory out of hand. I'll try to take note of whether their clothes match from now on. (I don't actually think so? Cooper's pajamas look way better than Earle's, in any case)

And More fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 16, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Thank you. That was messing with my mind. I have taken a crappy photo with my loving phone, now:

Oh, THESE

Embarrassingly enough, my mom owns a pair exactly like this. I think they were a hand me down from my grandma, but still, yikes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

Oh, THESE

Embarrassingly enough, my mom owns a pair exactly like this. I think they were a hand me down from my grandma, but still, yikes.

I guess that proves it's period-accurate. :shobon:

Anyway, thank you! Now the Josie post is complete. And, from now on, whenever I feel down, I can always look at Cooper giving the greatest hug.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks seasons 1-2 isn’t all a dream Audrey is having, hth

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I totally understand why it's fun to talk about, but Twin Peaks all having a rational explanation would be a complete bummer.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Working my way through season 2. It's great how Cooper says he saw the killer in his psychic dream, and they're only mildly skeptical, like "it could've happened, but I doubt it happened"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

antidote posted:

I totally understand why it's fun to talk about, but Twin Peaks all having a rational explanation would be a complete bummer.

Yeah when it goes from “lol this is a fun theory to be silly about” and goes into “hmmm I might actually have to start taking this seriously” it’s like....you have no understanding of Lynch as a creator

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

Working my way through season 2. It's great how Cooper says he saw the killer in his psychic dream, and they're only mildly skeptical, like "it could've happened, but I doubt it happened"

It's one of my absolute favorite things about the show, the way Truman and the others are just immediately onboard (or at least willing to listen) to any out there concept Cooper raises.

Everybody leaning forward attentively when Cooper says he wants to talk about Tibet :discourse:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah when it goes from “lol this is a fun theory to be silly about” and goes into “hmmm I might actually have to start taking this seriously” it’s like....you have no understanding of Lynch as a creator

I don't think anyone's taking it that seriously. Consider it an exploration of symbols of abuse and treatment if you find the word "theory" too specific to get behind.

And More posted:

:golfclap: You've actually somehow convinced me that I can't dismiss this theory out of hand. I'll try to take note of whether their clothes match from now on. (I don't actually think so? Cooper's pajamas look way better than Earle's, in any case)

I've watched this Saturday's already, so some of these might be here, but they both wear dark flannel with a gray puffer vest, and then we see Coop with his suit and Windom is back in the hut wearing an FBI pin. You could also write this off as him mocking Coop or any number of things, but I'll be watching for it more in the later episodes.

Jerusalem posted:

It's one of my absolute favorite things about the show, the way Truman and the others are just immediately onboard (or at least willing to listen) to any out there concept Cooper raises.

Everybody leaning forward attentively when Cooper says he wants to talk about Tibet :discourse:

Reading a book on Tibet in the Double-R just in one of the past couple of episodes I think!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I don't think anyone's taking it that seriously. Consider it an exploration of symbols of abuse and treatment if you find the word "theory" too specific to get behind.

Yeah, there is no need to be :siren:right on the internet:siren: about anything in this thread.

Also, Escobarbarian, claiming authorial intent is cheating, and I'll play my Death-of-the-Author card, if you do.

edit: Dang, did the death of the author also kill the thread?

And More fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 17, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYpQ1I4Cj9o

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We're doing 2 episodes tonight, 2 next week and then the season 2 finale the week after!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow, I totally forgot about Thomas Eckhardt's assistant trying to murder Harry :stare:

e: Sexual jealousy :smug:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 19, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Wow, I totally forgot about Thomas Eckhardt's assistant trying to murder Harry :stare:

Same, totally blanked on that one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, Gordon!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVI712f93RQ

:laffo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

First mention of the Black Lodge? I know the White Lodge has been mentioned before.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

A FRONT THREE QUARTERS VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, I love Gordon so much :allears:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The scene with Ben and Jack talking about "tell the hardest truth first" is pretty interesting if you view Jack = Young Ben or a literal manifestation of Ben's conscience.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

e: Sexual jealousy :smug:

Harry: :hmmyes:

That whole subplot is so goddamn weird, comes out of nowhere and doesn't seem to achieve anything of any note.

On the flip side, Gordon Cole showing up and screaming his intentions to flirt with Shelly for everybody to hear is beautiful.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

"Sometimes I get angry and do things I'm not proud of." I can relate. :(

Back in the day, I really liked the Annie-Cooper romance. They both have a similar innocence to them. This time around, it feels just too simple and bland, somehow. There is no friction or anything.

It's a real shame that they found a way to mostly write Bobby out of this show. In most scenes, he's additionally a real scumbag. They have basically undone his character development. His reaction to Mike's whispered explanation and the Cole/Shelly kissing scene kind of make up for it, though.

Some random observations:
- James' letter, is pretty funny. He sounds extremely mopey, yet he claims to be having the time of his life.

- Having now paid attention to Coop's and Earle's clothes: They are not even remotely similar. It's just that sometimes they both wear flannel, now (and it's a sin). I'm not convinced.

- Oh, how I loathe that moment between Wheeler and Cooper in front of the fireplace.

Could I get a screenshot of:
- a cloaked figure in on top of the owl cave map (Ep. 26, 15 minutes in)
- a cloaked figure in on top of the moon (Ep. 26, before the last scene), please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to know where that meme of "rabid weasels that attach themselves to your face" came from and was apparently everywhere in the 90s