Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There's not a SEAPOWER thread (though my dad used to get this big encylcopedia of ships and weapon system from the navy league every year called SEAPOWER and man would I sperg over that), so I'll ask this here. The old thread mentioned in passing that the US Navy has problems crewing all it's ships adequately and in the milhist thread someone mentioned similar problems in the Royal Navy. What's the deal? Nobody joins the navy anymore or is there something else going on? Too many ships we don't need requiring too much maintenance or what?

there also seems to be a feedback loop where ship maintenance is getting deferred due to over-capacity shipyards, which means less ships available for deployment, which means more and longer deployments for those that can, which leads to even more deferred maintenance, etc.

what it means for sailors is that they are more likely to constantly be at sea, since operational demands only go up and ships available only go down. i don't know the details of what's going on in the Royal Navy, but i can imagine they face a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Unemployment in the West is really low rn and has been for years, cohort sizes aren't what they used to be, lots of the rest are not suitable for one reason or another, military spending is unpopular so wages can't be increased enough to be competitive, plus wages compete with the new toys budget. I read that one in six of the suitable people in every cohort have to apply for the Bundeswehr for them to have some semblance of choice in who to accept and they're looking at opening up recruitment to residents without a German passport. A Kosovar Albanian apprentice we used to have told me that he'd die for Germany and idk I could dig having a Shqipëri legion.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 16, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
for the USN at least their issue isn't recruitment... they do great with that and have for many years. retention is the problem, and it is a very hard one to solve.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We should have some ships sponsored by corporations.

The “Nimitz” sponsored by Amazon! Packages delivered faster than warheads on foreheads!

Save some money on paint at least.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nebakenezzer posted:

With the Royal Navy, in addition to the problems mentioned, the pay stinks and so other navies are luring experienced RN sailors away with better pay. This is just the tip of widescale problems in recruiting and retention that the US and the UK have. Essentially poo poo's hosed in so many ways, and people inside the military are protesting the only effective way they can, with their feet.

This seems to be the case across large chunks of British society-- large numbers of British police officers and tradespeople have been immigrating to Canada over the past decade or so for better pay, opportunities and lower costs of living.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In the UK as well there has been a public sector pay freeze for around a decade now, which affected the military as well. There is also isn't the incentive to go into the military for healthcare/education either unlike the US.

It's also just kind of the case that the UK military just isn't that prestigious anymore thanks a lot of aforementioned neglect and corruption - the pride of the Royal Navy are it's two aircraft carriers but they are kind of just considered expensive boondoggles by a lot of people. One of them nearly got scrapped immediately after being built after all.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

We should have some ships sponsored by corporations.

The “Nimitz” sponsored by Amazon! Packages delivered faster than warheads on foreheads!

Save some money on paint at least.

Onion News Network did this but I'm having a hell of a time finding the clip of USS Buffalo Wild Wings.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ah, found it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A cool video, but I was expecting USS B-dubs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MikeCrotch posted:

In the UK as well there has been a public sector pay freeze for around a decade now, which affected the military as well. There is also isn't the incentive to go into the military for healthcare/education either unlike the US.

It's also just kind of the case that the UK military just isn't that prestigious anymore thanks a lot of aforementioned neglect and corruption - the pride of the Royal Navy are it's two aircraft carriers but they are kind of just considered expensive boondoggles by a lot of people. One of them nearly got scrapped immediately after being built after all.

Mothballed, not scrapped.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Re: Navy good recruitment bad retention: I think once you're in, staying military is a hard sell. I think the buracracy cant keep up with the changes and theres so much unnecessary pain that people don't want to stay. This generation cares about lifestyle. There are people truly interested in sacrificing that lifestyle for a worthy cause, but once they experience life on the inside, they math out how much of it was spent for nothing and decide that their options are better elsewhere.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Every generation cares about lifestyle. Part of it is that an increasing number of young people in Britain do not consider the armed forces a "worthy cause", and the economic incentives aren't really there either (except for the Army if you're 16 and have no GCSEs or something in which case you might not have a lot of options).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

piL posted:

Re: Navy good recruitment bad retention: I think once you're in, staying military is a hard sell. I think the buracracy cant keep up with the changes and theres so much unnecessary pain that people don't want to stay. This generation cares about lifestyle. There are people truly interested in sacrificing that lifestyle for a worthy cause, but once they experience life on the inside, they math out how much of it was spent for nothing and decide that their options are better elsewhere.

It's not lifestyle. It's "Am I making a real contribution? Is this actually the most useful thing I could be doing with my life? Or am I making poo poo worse?"

It's really hard for someone to think about joining the military right now and feel like that's true when we're all so cynical about the reasons for the wars, and when it's apparent that as a member of the armed services you are not likely to receive the support that you were promised through institutions like the VA, it becomes very hard to justify for anyone who has the ability to plan for the future. You're risking the possibility of getting a life changing injury in service to your country like a double amputation... then having your legs repossessed. When does opening yourself up to not only sacrifice, but getting hosed over completely, ever become a rational calculation? Especially when it's hard to tell whether what you're doing is really making the world any better?

If our military wasn't showing massive signs of systemic breakdown due to foreverwar, and if political leadership didn't keep getting caught starting massive, costly, pointless conflicts for political reasons, and if people had more assurance that they would be given more than false promises of care after exiting, I think you'd see a lot more people willing to sacrifice lifestyle for a worthy cause.

brains
May 12, 2004

sorry, but that's not correct. those might be your personal views, and that of a minority of the population, but the service branches are not having issues finding recruits. a quick google gives numbers on FY19 recruiting goals:

https://www.army.mil/article/227317/us_army_achieves_recruiting_goals

quote:

WASHINGTON -- The Department of the Army announced today that it will achieve its recruiting goals for Fiscal Year 2019.

The regular Army signed more than 68,000 new active-duty Soldiers, exceeding its Fiscal Year 19 recruiting mission. Recruiting goals were met in large part because of an overhauled recruiting approach and an increase in recruiters.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/354176/fy19-navy-recruiting-numbers-reflect-growth-despite-strong-civilian-economy

quote:

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) – Navy Recruiting Command closed out fiscal year 2019 and exceeded nearly all officer and enlisted goals and set the second highest number for active duty contracts within the last 15 years. Despite a booming job market in the civilian sector and a low national unemployment rate, Navy recruiters were able to overcome competitive hiring and write 40,755 active duty contracts.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1985545/air-force-recruiting-total-force-enterprise-makes-fy19-goal/

quote:

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) --

Air Force Recruiting Service had a successful performance in fiscal year 2019 as each of its components made their recruitment goals for the year.

The regular Air Force accessed 32,421 enlisted Airmen, 1,442 line officers, 763 health professionals and 34 chaplains. The Air Force Reserve assessed 7,323 enlisted Airmen, 982 line officers, 361 health professionals and 50 chaplains. The Air National Guard assessed 11,075 enlisted Airmen and 1,929 officers.

the issue, like others have said, is with retention of those recruits.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are still recruitment problems for specific jobs, if not in total number of bodies.

For air defense, a bunch of the MOS's require high GT scores, little or zero criminal record, and little or no bad finanicial reporting. People with those qualifications either don't joint the Army, or they don't want to go to the not-very-glamorous world of air defense and then enjoy a really, really rough Deploy to Dwell ratio, with those deployments being almost entirely to pretty unglamorous or, more recently, straight up middle-of-nowhere locales in the middle east. With no real sign of slowing down. Since last May, the public number of air defense troops deployed to the middle east has more than doubled.

I also don't think the family business is a great long-term solution:

quote:

More and more, new recruits are the children of old recruits. In 2019, 79 percent of Army recruits reported having a family member who served. For nearly 30 percent, it was a parent — a striking point in a nation where less than 1 percent of the population serves in the military.

For years, military leaders have been sounding the alarm over the growing gulf between communities that serve and those that do not, warning that relying on a small number of counties that reliably produce soldiers is unsustainable, particularly now amid escalating tensions with Iran.

“A widening military-civilian divide increasingly impacts our ability to effectively recruit and sustain the force,” Anthony M. Kurta, acting under secretary of defense for personnel and readiness, told the National Commission on Military, National and Public Service last year. “This disconnect is characterized by misperceptions, a lack of knowledge and an inability to identify with those who serve. It threatens our ability to recruit the number of quality youth with the needed skill sets to maintain our advantage.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/us/military-enlistment.html

Are there enough of these? You never know.

brains
May 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

There are still recruitment problems for specific jobs, if not in total number of bodies.

definitely, i'm not suggesting that all is well (because it certainly isn't), just that the overall service-wide recruiting goals are being met. accession rates for specific fields is another matter.

this, in particular

quote:

then enjoy a really, really rough Deploy to Dwell ratio
is a huge issue for a lot of specialty MOS positions in the Army, and a significant retention issue Navy-wide. god help you if enlist as a patriot or THAAD operator, you're basically confined to Guam or Korea when not deployed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

Every generation cares about lifestyle.

Yeah, you're right. What I'm hunting at but haven't really fully formed is that we've created a lot of technologies that make a lot of things easier. I can just tap on my phone and know the status of all of my accounts. But that technology is weaponized against government workers.

One thing I realised reading the reports and letters in Sherman's memoirs is that, if the cost was cleanly handwriting a letter and having someone physically deliver it across dangerous ground, I'd probably have less tasking to complete the same exact checklist but in the format from this publication not that publication. Not none, but less.

Edit: a lot of responses since my drafting. I blame some portion of issues on far more banal reasons than most want to attribute.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

retention is the problem, and it is a very hard one to solve.
lmao it's you's been at war for a little bit

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

brains posted:

sorry, but that's not correct. those might be your personal views, and that of a minority of the population, but the service branches are not having issues finding recruits. a quick google gives numbers on FY19 recruiting goals:
the issue, like others have said, is with retention of those recruits.

You're absolutely right and I should have phrased that whole post more in terms of "...but there's bound to be a big old information gap for the people most likely to decide to join. There are more than enough people who are not as aware of these systemic issues, so retention is an issue because at that point people get in, see the difference between commercials and real life, and GTFO ASAP."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Army started up some kind of "pilot" direct commission program for Force Management officers last year, putting job ads at a few top business schools. One of the officers running it is in my program; he told me they got about 10 applicants. They're trying to commission MBAs as captains and majors. I gather this is part of trying to solve a shortage in mid-level officers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They want to just drop people in to those jobs? That strikes me as pretty dumb, and I know absolutely zero about the military.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Force Management makes a kind of beep boop sense, but I have known exactly one person in my entire life who opted to go FM as a CPT(P). He basically was sick and loving tired of deployments and decided he could pound his face into FM while his wife got some stability and finished her degrees.

So it might be the type of place where searching for number crunchy and legal/policy wonks makes sense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

As you can tell, OP, this is a **BIG** topic.

My personal piss take is that all that "we said we do this, but now that you are out gently caress off and die" would drive me insane with anger, so anyone walking away because of that I support. Also, just hanging out in this thread we've heard countless examples of how toxic the military life is. When people think about 'lifestyle' to me they are looking at this system that seems to run on burning out people and tossing the husks as quickly as possible. Nobody wants to be a sucker.

Two articles to illustrate what I mean:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

wiegieman posted:

They want to just drop people in to those jobs? That strikes me as pretty dumb, and I know absolutely zero about the military.

It actually can counteract what I think is one big problem the military. The military's rigid authority system combined with time served requirements means that you get these large cohorts of officers with the same experience. Every Admiral and General in the US, for example, last had undergraduate experience before 2000, some before 1990. It may be longer than that (if ever) since they worked a job that wasn't in the military. You might get some new experience when these people went to grad school, but since they likely did that before their ten year mark that was still 2010 and assumes they didn't receive that experience from a war college or military postgraduate school. Bringing people in at higher point could mean more modern ideas in the conversations 20 years from now.

When Mattis retired in 2013 for example, he was 63 years old. It was 41 years since he had attended a school not funded by the DoD, ran by a military officer. There's a huge opportunity for senior members of the military to form their own shared and sheltered opinions that requires active effort and lots of reading to avoid.

For it to be worth it, you have to be careful about how many you let in, and that indoctrination probably has to be very strong to ensure your newly gained O-3 can work effectively with people who have 4-8 years of military experience.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I love how all declassified WARPAC plans always start with “NATO totally surprise attacks us first”

Speaking of, anyone got more declassified Soviet plans like 7 Days to the River Rhine?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

piL posted:

It actually can counteract what I think is one big problem the military. The military's rigid authority system combined with time served requirements means that you get these large cohorts of officers with the same experience. Every Admiral and General in the US, for example, last had undergraduate experience before 2000, some before 1990. It may be longer than that (if ever) since they worked a job that wasn't in the military. You might get some new experience when these people went to grad school, but since they likely did that before their ten year mark that was still 2010 and assumes they didn't receive that experience from a war college or military postgraduate school. Bringing people in at higher point could mean more modern ideas in the conversations 20 years from now.

When Mattis retired in 2013 for example, he was 63 years old. It was 41 years since he had attended a school not funded by the DoD, ran by a military officer. There's a huge opportunity for senior members of the military to form their own shared and sheltered opinions that requires active effort and lots of reading to avoid.

For it to be worth it, you have to be careful about how many you let in, and that indoctrination probably has to be very strong to ensure your newly gained O-3 can work effectively with people who have 4-8 years of military experience.

Do you have any data to back this perception up? It contradicts my personal experience but maybe I'm in a biased situation.

I worked at some big defense cos who hired lots of former officers. Their careers typically went something like:
HS -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> Serve for 6-10 years -> Get MBA or M.S. degree -> Join defense company (Usually at year 10+/-2)

I've seen others in this thread talk about how the Air Force in particular leads to this (dropping out at year 10), so the idea there isn't Masters degree level training going on in officers after 10ish years in is seemingly untrue, at least in my anecdote. Also the idea that people in the military are that much insulated as to not gain new insights and ideas given the existence of the internet seems pretty unlikely.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It seems like a reasonable idea to me. What I gather is that force management is a job that doesn't appeal to the kind of person who signs up to be an Army officer. You will be filling out lots of spreadsheets, writing reports, crunching numbers, etc. But if you're a civilian MBA, who's looking at consulting, finance, marketing, etc. the prospect of being an excel monkey in uniform and basically never deploying might be appealing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the DoD has thousands of those already... they're called the civil service. and contractors.

if you're going to go through the trouble of training someone and paying for all the associated benefits and other costs that comes with uninformed service then they have to be a deployable asset.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
So, should the force management branch not exist? I don't really know much about what it does.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
For that matter basically the entire Space Force is going to be computer jockies. That's not a criticism, that's how space as a warfighting domain works.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you have any data to back this perception up? It contradicts my personal experience but maybe I'm in a biased situation.

I worked at some big defense cos who hired lots of former officers. Their careers typically went something like:
HS -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> Serve for 6-10 years -> Get MBA or M.S. degree -> Join defense company (Usually at year 10+/-2)

I've seen others in this thread talk about how the Air Force in particular leads to this (dropping out at year 10), so the idea there isn't Masters degree level training going on in officers after 10ish years in is seemingly untrue, at least in my anecdote. Also the idea that people in the military are that much insulated as to not gain new insights and ideas given the existence of the internet seems pretty unlikely.

No, it's all anecdotal. But in my example, Mr. Mattis got his M.A. from National Defense University, which is likely staffed by non military civilians and universities like that have spots for civilians to try to avoid the issue that I'm talking about. I just think theres something to be gained by including a diversity of ideas.

Masters degrees happen often, but anecdotally, the level of exposure to cohorts in those degree programs is limited. The majority of just go and focus on school oppotunities, at least in the Navy, are at military based institutions. A lot of people are getting masters through online programs or piecemealing one together because they're billeted to a squadron on a shore tour who still expects them there from 07-16. Even those blessed to go to an ROTC arent integrated like normal grad students because of the age difference and having a working day.

The example you give of the common track for people that leave and get a job outside is exactly what those people are doing. People who stay in are getting Masters degrees, but unless it's part of a specialty career path (EDOs @ MIT) or programs with limited slots (Politico Military Masters), then it's probably at a military school, war college, online or part time. Which is fine for exposure to scholarship[1]. But even if you get 2 years to focus on your education in one of those highly selective situations, the experiences of a 30 year career will still carry many similarities.

Here's what made me think this was a problem originally. Before I joined the Navy, I worked at a hip scene restaurant for a bit, and in that job, when a new restaraunt opens up you overstaff and bleed down to make sure you have extra trained personnel and to support the additional complications you have from unfamiliar operating procedures.

So then I see what happened at LCS. Theres obviously other problems abound, but the Navy bought a new ship with a new operating paradigm. We're going to do this with a small crew--optimal manning! They started with exactly the number of people they thought were necessary, based on the math of a service that only started studying working hours on ships in port within the last five years. No more. When that didn't work, they increased the crew a couple of times. They never got the plates spinning first. This is obviously a bad idea to someone who worked in a restaraunt community. But who on that staff would of? Senior engineers? 50 year old O-6s who hadnt worked outside the military since a summer job before the Academy?

Maybe it was mentioned and just couldnt be swung because of politics or acquisitions regulations. But I suspect, though can only assume, that few wait staff or restaraunteers were consulted on managing the LCSX program.

[1] in the Navy, a lot of us are doing this on our own without Big Navy making room to make it work. It's all very luck based. In the following link, the Navy's Chief Learning Officer explains some of the challenges: https://blog.usni.org/posts/2019/11/16/on-midrats-17-november-2019-episode-515-building-a-thinking-force-the-navys-clo-john-kroger

piL fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 17, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Got too passionate without a point here, so I deleted the post.

piL fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I used to be friends with an air force computer janitor. But his computer was in orbit, and instead of taking selfies it took ruskies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CarForumPoster posted:

As an AF officer, you kinda need to have your master's before the 10 year mark. It is sometimes a factor in promotion before that. AACSC gives you what they call a master's, but nobody really thinks of it that way and it's too late in the career; same with a doctorate from Air War College. I started my master's program in my 7th year; most of my peers were done or close to it.

Edit: The masters was a literal checkbox on the form, so as long as it was accredited, any bullshit for-profit program was as valid as anything else.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 18, 2020

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

This is extremely niche in it's application and doesn't work nearly as well as the video implies, but it's still kind of neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMyWEWHCTM

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is there any nation on earth with a military that doesn't claim to respect the laws of war?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is there any nation on earth with a military that doesn't claim to respect the laws of war?

US SEALs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Wu-Tang Killer Bees.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Islamic State, to whatever extent it was briefly a de facto nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I ask because brick of dumbshit and pulitzer prize winner tom friedman in his last column asserted that America was unique in that it followed the laws of war, and after laughing it got me thinking if there was any nation on earth that was all "the Genevia Convention is for losers."*

*Let's set aside Tromp

**While it's something that every nation has violated if they've been to war, I'm thinking official stated policy here

Captain von Trapp posted:

The Islamic State, to whatever extent it was briefly a de facto nation.

I think that works.