Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
No its inconsistent. A lot of perilous attacks can be interrupted but grabs always have it. Aerial enemies tend to have it too. I think its more about when you strike vs pure hyper armor. If you can hit them early in their animation before they swing, it will interrupt. But once the swing/attack has started, it will finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it just depends on the enemy and on the attack/action the enemy is currently performing, as is typical of any game implementing a form of "super armor"

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Enemies don't randomly get armored attacks, it's just a thing that certain enemies have on certain attacks. One thing you can do to lessen the chance of getting destroyed by an unexpected armored move is do a single attack, then delay your next attack until you've visually confirmed the enemy is in hit-stun. If it looks like they didn't flinch from your hit, stop attacking and defend yourself. While it won't work against every armored attack (some are too fast), many of them are slow enough that you'll have time to safely react, and it worked well for me against certain bosses.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Picked up this game shortly after release, nearly put it down trying to fight Juzou the Drunkard. Nearly put it down fighting Lady Butterfly because I wasn't making progress, then powered through her fight and felt like I was clicking with the game. Didn't help that she was the first boss I had fought, not even Gyoubu before her. Nearly put it down at Owl1 because I had died >40 times. Put it down at SSI and came back with an editor just to finish it off two months later. I picked it back up under a new game with the intent on beating SSI & I've died maybe 5 times this run, almost at Owl1. I've pretty much only died to laziness and getting caught by a swarm of enemies. Felt really good to not die to either Lady Butterfly or Jinsuke Saze, the latter I perfectly parried and demolished without taking any damage. Makes me want to get exceptional and do a LP.

If you're struggling and saying the game might just not be for you, I was in exactly that boat. Sekiro was the first game in 5+ years that I actually got angry at like I was a kid again. I don't know if it's worth it, but now that I'm good it's definitely some of the most fun I've had.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just got to the second Snake part and what the hell was that? I survived it not really knowing what the hell I was doing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

blackguy32 posted:

I just got to the second Snake part and what the hell was that? I survived it not really knowing what the hell I was doing.

It's the prelude to your revenge, is what it is.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Any tips for the guardian ape? I have mortal draw though it really doesn't seem to do anything important in the second phase, he just moves so oddly I don't know how to actually get damage in between all that flailing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Agent355 posted:

Any tips for the guardian ape? I have mortal draw though it really doesn't seem to do anything important in the second phase, he just moves so oddly I don't know how to actually get damage in between all that flailing.

Use the spear when you deflect his overhead big wriggly attack in phase two.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Second phase is all about posture breaking the ape. Stand in front and deflect his sword attacks, he'll go into a combo ending with an overhead strike and when you deflect that he'll fall down and you can double tap him with the spear for huge posture damage.

Keep your finger on the sprint button and your eyes on his left hand. When he starts to bring his head up to his neck, that's your cue to sprint away to avoid the terror, then sprint back in and hit him a few times to bait more sword swipes.

Aside from the scream, all his other perilous attacks are sweeps so just jump them, and be ready to jump his sweep when he comes down from his big jump in the air.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JBP posted:

Use the spear when you deflect his overhead big wriggly attack in phase two.

even better, use the spear double tap yoink

edit: gently caress

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks, got em. Focusing on parrying and a posture game made the second part alot easier, i was trying to do vitality damage like the first part.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think I broke my game. Tried to do the Kite thing with the puppeteer ninjitsu, and the enemy moved the kite out but now it is stuck out there with no way of moving it back. And the enemy is completely gone now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

blackguy32 posted:

I think I broke my game. Tried to do the Kite thing with the puppeteer ninjitsu, and the enemy moved the kite out but now it is stuck out there with no way of moving it back. And the enemy is completely gone now.

Nope. You did this right.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

blackguy32 posted:

No that's good. You done good

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ok, Guardian Ape and Giant Snake down now.

Guardian Ape wasn't too bad. I had the most problems with his first form and often with that annoying as hell jumping grab he does. I only had to fight his second form twice.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this games so strangely like riding a bike tbh. I dropped it for months without completing it and decided to restart because I figured I'd be too rusty to do the later fights but the second you're in it again you got it and doing the early fights is real simple now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Got to the second form of bow guy and I'm a little annoyed he had a second form at all :colbert: Leave that poo poo in the jrpgs, I thought I had won.

This guy is one of my favorite fights, its ALL skill, just parry and attack. Get up in his face and don't gently caress around with tricks, once you get the hang of Genchiro its like the barrier for understanding the game.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Agent355 posted:

When he does the sliding sword attacks, deflect, then he rears up for a big final downward slice. Deflect that and he'll stumble and face, er, stump-plant the ground. Stab him in the neck hole with the spear, then release/press R1 to yank the spear back. You'll yank out something and cause massive posture (and vitality) damage.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Double guardian ape fight down after only 2 tries. I still say that multi boss fights in From games suck rear end yet they keep putting them in.

Orv
May 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Double guardian ape fight down after only 2 tries. I still say that multi boss fights in From games suck rear end yet they keep putting them in.

Hey, look, Dragonriders tried its... best?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Three firecrackers in a row is enough to break the second ape's posture, I think it's well balanced.

O+S is my favourite DS fight too though so maybe I'm biased

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

bike tory posted:

Three firecrackers in a row is enough to break the second ape's posture, I think it's well balanced.

not that very many people end up going that far, but the two apes scale to be much harder in subsequent playthroughs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ornstein and Smough is far and away the best of the multiboss boss fights. I find them easier in the Dark Soulses as I never locked on in those games but in something like Sekiro or Bloodborne where it's all/mostly about locking on to parry they are a pain. It's also why I never had issue with large/fast moving bosses in the Dark Soulses as I'd just be manually moving my camera the entire time so it never hosed up a lock on.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I'm back at it again and... yeah. I love it when you use careful footwork to keep one on the opposite side of the other and than lol one just clips through the other and wipes you out in the middle of parrying a different attack so you had no chance to defend.

bike tory posted:

holy gently caress this saved me so much time, cheers for the tip.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 17, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The apes, like true monk, are nerfed compared to the originals. I fought the apes once on ng+ and they weren't that bad. But I mostly skip them because why bother?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I one-shot the two apes on my first playthrough :smug:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

if a giant ape threw poop at me I would simply say 'no thank you' and deflect it. Sorry but I'm different.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 17, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Agent355 posted:

Thanks, got em. Focusing on parrying and a posture game made the second part alot easier, i was trying to do vitality damage like the first part.

You've made so much progress that you're probably already aware of this, but just in case:

The fight with Grandma Sorcerer was the first time I realized that, when your attacks are blocked or deflected, there are two sets of distinct noises that I'm about to onomatopoeically butcher

- the high pitched "cling!" you usually hear, which usually means "keep swinging, they're not going to counter yet"
- a lower pitched, meatier "clong" sort of thing, means "if I attack again I'm probably gonna get whumped"

Worth learning the difference and paying attention to it if you're not already

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

This guy is one of my favorite fights, its ALL skill, just parry and attack. Get up in his face and don't gently caress around with tricks, once you get the hang of Genchiro its like the barrier for understanding the game.

Yeah that fight was great.

Part of the frustration in this game is that I know for most fights you're basically just supposed to go all out aggro and never let up. The other guy will deflect sometimes and you have to instantly deal with their attack and then continue to assault them and this unrelenting offense is really cool and satisfying when you can finally do it.

However when you don't know how to counter their attacks you feel like you're just flailing at buttons and getting 2-shot by everything.

So far the fights I've had a legit good time with have been ones where I felt like I was learning their patterns even as I got whomped by them, rather than the ones where I just got whomped and learned nothing.

yeah I didn't learn there were different sounds until that fight, it helped alot but I still find her attacks really hard to deal with and her patterns erratic. I haven't fought a similar boss yet, only minibosses and monkey bosses which feel like they're a whole different style of fight, but I'm curious how quickly/badly I'll learn the next fight with the deflection sounds in mind.

E: the most inconsistent counters I've found, that I still can't reliably nail, are doing jumps off an enemy when you leap over a sweep attack. Feels like I only actually manage to jump off them and get the posture damage half the time.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 17, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

E: the most inconsistent counters I've found, that I still can't reliably nail, are doing jumps off an enemy when you leap over a sweep attack. Feels like I only actually manage to jump off them and get the posture damage half the time.

i'm pretty bad at that too tbh, I tend to either jump sideways or backwards by mistake

usually I can quickly recover by landing, throwing a shuriken and following up back into swordin' range

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

At the very least failing them doesn't lead to taking damage, I still dodge I just don't get that posture damage.

Also I don't know if other people find this interesting or not but I've been following the achievement statistics on steam as I beat each boss and (nearly) 50% of people have beaten the puzzle monkeys and guardian ape and that kinda amazes me. Given how miserable I've been at times in this game I'm really surprised there hasn't been a larger player drop off by now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

At the very least failing them doesn't lead to taking damage, I still dodge I just don't get that posture damage.

Also I don't know if other people find this interesting or not but I've been following the achievement statistics on steam as I beat each boss and (nearly) 50% of people have beaten the puzzle monkeys and guardian ape and that kinda amazes me. Given how miserable I've been at times in this game I'm really surprised there hasn't been a larger player drop off by now.

i'd expect most of the dropoff if any would have been before Chained Ogre and MYYYY NAAAAAAAME*, along with Juzou on the Hirata path. that seems to be where most people (self and uh, you included :v:) experience the most frustration with Not Quite Getting It Yet and also being short on really important skills and some prosthetics

* go do Gyobu in english, trust me on this. or youtube it but that's not as fun

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of which, finally started giving this a proper try after bouncing off due to Souls-ish/like burnout, got to Jozou last night before realizing I was in one of those 'way too tired to Fromsoft' states of mind. Can you block his crazy overhead slam? It definitely seemed like I shouldn't from anim/VFX but in my exhaustion I didn't even try.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You can block/deflect way more stuff than I expect and it constantly fucks me up. I find myself trying to dodge (and failing) big swings because it looks like I can't parry them instead of just manning up and timing a deflect.

Afaik the only unblockable/deflectable things come with big angry red kanji but drat if I don't psych myself out of a ton of other attacks.

As far as from soft games I actively hated demon souls and dark souls when i played them but after watching a ton of youtube video essays about the games I figured that was probably because I was playing like a wee baby coward with a shield. I don't own a PS4 so I can't play bloodborne so I figured I'd try out sekiro since it was also really pushing you into an aggressive playstyle. I thought I might enjoy it more. I didn't expect it to be as brutally punishing as it is and I'm still not 100% sure I'm finding any of it really FUN as opposed to just very engaging.

I feel like playing more but I still dread getting to the next big boss because I'm not sure I'm really actually having fun or if I'm just trapped emotionally because I don't want to quit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there may be exceptions i'm forgetting but yeah if it doesn't have a kanji popup you can deflect it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The other thing is that you can mikuri parry any thrust even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My favorite is parrying a kick from that one armed ninja who keeps showing up, it looks like we're playing footsies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

technically you can even deflect thrust attacks (deflect not block, i.e. perfect timing), but you'll eat posture damage and it's more difficult than mikiri-ing it anyway.

do not try to deflect throws.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you also can deflect-but-not-block the biggest of big attacks. i don't remember where the first one comes up (maybe it IS Juzou? the only one I ever remember is Corrupted Monk)

these attacks don't have a Perilous kanji, but you can't block them and even if you deflect them you're going to skid backwards and have some animation lock

(as a rule, so will your opponent, but it's still a missed opportunity)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm impressed that 30% have the achievement for killing SSI. I would have thought it was much lower. I wonder what % of that are people who used hacks to adjust the difficulty?

He's at 13% on playstation. So I'm guessing roughly 1/2 on PCs cheated to beat him.

E: 10% on Xbox.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
How tight is the mechanical difference on block vs deflect? I feel like it's pretty obvious for your average mook, a perfect deflect goes straight into a deathblow for most of them except maybe the hammer guys but I have a lot more trouble telling with minibosses or that kicking rear end in a top hat who guards the hidden shrine in Hirata.