Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If you think the sports questions on Jeopardy are tough, you've never seen Stump the Schwab on ESPN. I'd go entire episodes lucky to get a couple of questions right, and I usually mop up sports categories on Jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If you think the sports questions on Jeopardy are tough, you've never seen Stump the Schwab on ESPN. I'd go entire episodes lucky to get a couple of questions right, and I usually mop up sports categories on Jeopardy.

Oh poo poo yeah. I just looked it up on YouTube and the very first question was name the 12 members of the Chicago Bulls 1998 Finals roster lmao

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A lot of sports "trivia" is just boring. Good trivia has a hook, where if you don't know the answer you feel like you learned something interesting. Lazy sports trivia writers just default to "who won the batting title in 1963?"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh poo poo yeah. I just looked it up on YouTube and the very first question was name the 12 members of the Chicago Bulls 1998 Finals roster lmao

holy cow, that's nuts. like most sports fans are gonna get Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, and Harper, but like...who's gonna remember Jud Buchler or Dickey Simpkins

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Probably the Schwab.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

A lot of sports "trivia" is just boring. Good trivia has a hook, where if you don't know the answer you feel like you learned something interesting. Lazy sports trivia writers just default to "who won the batting title in 1963?"

Sports "trivia" is for people who dedicate most of their brain to sports. You're not going to find a whole lot in their brains but sports, sports, and more sports.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Sports "trivia" is for people who dedicate most of their brain to sports. You're not going to find a whole lot in their brains but sports, sports, and more sports.

I am a Sports Guy but struggle at Sports Trivia because it's often minutia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's call trivia because it's trivial.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That's different from boring!

For an in-depth exploration of the difference I recommend "Braniac," by obscure author Ken Jennings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know I was just teasing. Of course me, number one Ken Jennings fan, owns said tome.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

there was a fifth episode? huh?

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Speaking of trivia, I'm hoping I won't get in trouble if I ask if anyone here has a Learned League referral they might be willing to throw my way. I keep hearing about it, would really like to give it a shot.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Propaniac posted:

Speaking of trivia, I'm hoping I won't get in trouble if I ask if anyone here has a Learned League referral they might be willing to throw my way. I keep hearing about it, would really like to give it a shot.

I think I've got one. send me a pm.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

What is the deal with a 5th episode of the Greatest Tourny?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e.martin posted:

What is the deal with a 5th episode of the Greatest Tourny?

turned out to be some random episode of some random tv show for me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Basically, everyone’s local affiliate listed episodes are still airing this week, like you would for a Best-of-7 sports finals, but didn’t include a TBA/TBD/If Needed/Whatever element in there. Since Ken wrapped it up in four, they’re all just showing reruns of filler.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish they had reaired from the beginning :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Watching regular jeopardy after the GOAT is like watching middle school basketball after the NBA Finals.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Watching regular jeopardy after the GOAT is like watching middle school basketball after the NBA Finals.

today's show is brutal

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

zakharov posted:

I have a nostalgia for questions like this that would air during baseball games because it was basically a prompt of my parents or grandparents to dive into less iconic baseball memories.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Priscilla is freaking out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Leave them alone, they're dead already

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is the worst performance i've seen in years

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

today's show is brutal

FOG, YOU DUMBASSES. FOG.

I had to dig up the lowest ever score. Someone got -$6,800. Had Priscilla had a couple more minutes, I think she would have done it. Before getting the $1,200 clue, she was at -$6,600.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

FOG, YOU DUMBASSES. FOG.

I had to dig up the lowest ever score. Someone got -$6,800. Had Priscilla had a couple more minutes, I think she would have done it. Before getting the $1,200 clue, she was at -$6,600.

I'm amazed someone did worse than Wolf Blitzer

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Andorra posted:

I'm amazed someone did worse than Wolf Blitzer

Oddly enough, Slate just did an interview with Stephanie Hull, the contestant who got -$6,800.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alex being the GOAT as always:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisjac...hKSbshMeBHLnhx8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think it's the funny the interviewer is all "oh wow you never watched your episode again?" because even if I'd won I'd probably never watch my episode(s).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 17, 2020

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I just watched my humiliating loss for the first time since the initial airing (3 years ago now I think?). Why the gently caress would i ever want to see it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've watched my episodes exactly one time, when they aired.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I was at a BBQ restaurant with my wife and in-laws when the replay of my episode aired, and half of the TVs were tuned to Jeopardy. It was weird as hell.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also had yesterday's double jeopardy ended 2 questions early we would have gotten the rare solo final jeopardy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vertical Lime posted:

also had yesterday's double jeopardy ended 2 questions early we would have gotten the rare solo final jeopardy

I don't think I've ever seen that, so I was kinda hoping for that outcome

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

So was I. I was astounded by how bad Shanu and Priscilla were yesterday.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
lol, I'll say again, ABC must be so pissed that they probably paid a lot of money for this and GOAT didn't go the full 7. The ratings were off the page.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Timby posted:

So was I. I was astounded by how bad Shanu and Priscilla were yesterday.

Priscilla started freaking out. I felt so bad for her.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vertical Lime posted:

In a way that race against the clock was even more thrilling than the tournament.

Iron Crowned posted:

Turns out it has happened before, and it was the same game as the woman who got -$6,800

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-negatives.html

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

mennoknight posted:

I just watched my humiliating loss for the first time since the initial airing (3 years ago now I think?). Why the gently caress would i ever want to see it

Yeah I have friends ask me for the link to mine still and I’m just like “yeah here sure it was great being on tv and Alex is great okay let’s talk about something different”

It’s such a trip to study and practice and look forward to something for so long and then be the third best player on the stage by a mile (me, not necessarily any of y’all) and then have it indelibly etched in television history

If you told 20 year old me I’d be on jeopardy I’d imagine I had it constantly playing on loop on ten TVs but instead I don’t even want to think about anything tangentially related to it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Surprising number of jeopardy players itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd imagine the thread about Jeopardy would attract any goon that's been on (since you're gonna be a hardcore fan of the show if you ever got on).