Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's a good way to get people to not go to your wedding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cumshitter posted:

Does the OP say whether or not there's an open bar? I think that really makes or breaks the $50 entry fee.

OP is 19 so if its America it doesnt matter.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Vanilla extract has to be like the most expensive way to get drunk.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Glad to see there's a new thread of trainwrecks to enjoy. I've been pretty consistent in posting only relationship stories but I'll repost this AITA for the glory of the new thread.

AITA for taking long showers even though my therapist recommended them to me?

quote:

Lots of background here so I'll try to keep it simple. In late February I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and went for inpatient treatment for 3 weeks. Upon discharge I decided I'd move in with my parents in order to get my feed back under me (I'm 27). My mom was very happy to have me in the house. My dad was skeptical because he not so openly thinks I'm just "lazy" and I have 3 younger siblings who still live at home who I don't get along with at all.

One of my coping mechanisms I've learned is to accept the fact that I'm a nocturnal person so I don't even try to stay up during the day. The other thing I like to do is take a really, really long shower (30 minutes-1 hour) before I go to bed as it helps me with insomnia. My therapist said this is a great strategy and likes that I'm thinking creatively to solve my problems.

So in my parents house I stay up all night and write (I'm a professional writer as my occupation) and I take a shower somewhere between 5 and 7. Well this has caused a melt down with my dad and siblings because they claim that I don't leave them any hot water. I know this is bull crap because there's still hot water when I get out of the shower.

But even if I did use all the hot water, there's other things that can be done so we can all live here in peace. My siblings can shower in the gym at school and my dad can maybe look into getting a tankless heater for the house. I mean, the way I feel is this is just finger pointing at me when they know I've had medicallly diagnosed issues and a prescribed method of treatment to help me cope. If I were to have a septic wound that needed to be washed every morning, no one woukd be screaming at me with choice words like "lazy fat pig." I'm just taking a shower for the love of God.

But I need to be more open minded in my thinking so I'm asking here. Am I the rear end in a top hat for taking long showers before I go to bed?
Let's not forget what was found in the comments.

commenter posted:

YTA. How about you go shower at the gym.

OP posted:

Yeah because a 300 pound woman can go to the gym safely in this country… LOL dude

commenter posted:

Well, what country are you in? Also I’m a woman.

OP posted:

I live in orange county California The worldwide capital of fat shaming

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Vanilla extract has to be like the most expensive way to get drunk.

But you would smell so freaking good!

Vanilla just oozing out of your pores...

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for reminding my girlfriend it was HER decision to have an abortion?

Hi reddit, this situation is getting out of hand so I thought I'd ask here.

I (25M) have dated my girlfriend (25F) for 6 years now. About 5 months into our relationship, I got her pregnant. This is in SPITE of the fact that I wore protection. We were only 19, so I thought she'd come to her senses and decide to abort. However, she slowly began to warm to the idea of keeping the child and raising it.

I tried very hard to show her the other side. My parents contacted her to voice their disapproval of keeping the baby, but this didn't sway her. So then I contacted HER parents, and they sided with me. This swayed my girlfriend a bit more. Ultimately, it was only when I told her that I would leave her if she kept the baby, that she agreed.

Now this wasn't me abandoning responsibility, but rather it was me stating my boundaries. If she wanted to bring a kid into our lives, then I would walk away. I'd pay whatever support was necessary, but she would be making a decision that alienated lots of people. It wasn't just about her.

We have stayed together since, however these past few months she has been acting different. She starts bringing up this abortion, and asking why I was so against it. Then the other day, she goes crazy. She asks me why I didn't support her, and that it was a ''mistake'' to have an abortion. I then reminded her ''It was YOUR decision to have an abortion. We all said our piece, but don't blame this on anyone else. YOU chose this''. She then began crying alot and called me rear end in a top hat.

We haven't spoken since, and her friends have taken her side. Ultimately I think she is trying the blame game. AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

bitchy cousin played her hand too early, real power move would have been to surprise them with the entry fee when they arrive

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Something about the very earnest panic in this one is making me chuckle.

Should I be so nervous after typing such a long comment?

quote:

I'm fairly new to Reddit. Been lurking for years, too nervous to make an account until last month. Continued to lurk until last week. Been commenting with little issue, only a few hiccups, possibly a few mild heart attacks when I get the occasional downvote. Nothing major. Some comnents are short little quips, which people seem to like. Some comments are longer because the topic is more serious and/or in-depth.

Browsing around, I found an interesting sub with an interesting question. Only a few answers, and it was a topic I'm somewhat passionate about. I don't want to be too specific; I made a throwaway account for a reason, and I'm afraid I made someone angry. I'm a really nervous person with trouble reading social cues, and angry people terrify me.

My mother-in-law kept bugging me while I was typing. I kept getting distracted, losing my train of thought. I knew the comment was long, but the edit window is small on my tablet and....the comment was way longer than I thought. WAY longer than this. I feel sorry for whoever reads it. I panicked. I didn't want to stay logged in long enough to edit, and I'm afraid to log in and delete it. I might try though.

Should I leave Reddit snd never come back? I like it here, people are honestly quite friendly, but I panic everytime I get that little inbox alert. Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It was HER decision to go to the abortion clinic to get the fetus snipped out. I just called both our parents to gang up on her and give her an ultimatum to either destroy a human life or be with me. No blood on my hands!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

This one has an interesting twist!
My girlfriend (F 29) who had been talking about future/children with me (M 27) went to Burning Man and came back a different person.

quote:

I've been dating a woman for almost a year now (6 months non-monogamous, little more than 4 monogamous).

This has been the most intense, deep relationship thus far in my life, very much in love and experiencing a real partnership in how we support one another. She's an artist and I support her in her work and exploration, I'm a social worker/student and she supports me in managing my stress and also exploring art. We've been happy and growing for a while.

Last week, she attended Burning Man as a performer, and at the beginnings told me how much she wished I was there, that it wasn't what she thought it would be, etc. We weren't in contact for about 5 days. When she came back, it's like she's a different person. She said she had experienced amazing things (did not take any drugs at all) and intense things, things she needed time to process.

It's been a couple days now and her presence is completely different. We've spent virtually no time together, save for the other night when I received news that I had a mass in my brain, at which she came over. But even then she was distant, distracted. And she was fully aware of this, made mention to how she felt guilty for not being able to be totally present. I can't stop ruminating on the possibilities of why this is, and what it means for us, and ourselves individually. She's made comments like, "understanding is possession", "do you need to know me?", and "our lives can be separate" while also saying she loves me, still wants to be with me, etc.

Earlier tonight I couldn't handle ruminating on the thoughts and was very honest about my fears that something had happened at BM that changed her outlook on me or on our relationship. She again said that she didn't have the words, was trying to process her feelings and experiences, and isn't sure if she wants to be "part of someone else" or just her own self. But again said she wants to be with me, and ultimately asked me for time to figure it out. She hasn't expressed fear or sadness about my condition, only practical advice like "well what steps are you taking?" and "it's all part of the journey".

I don't know what to do. I'm crippled emotionally, mentally. Can anyone give me any sort of advice/insight here? I know there's so much more detail that would clarify...again just kind of at a loss.

TL;DR: Girlfriend who was talking about marriage/kids/future, went to Burning Man and came back unsure if she wanted to be connected to another person and isn't able to explain why yet.

UPDATE Thank you everyone for the feedback, concerns, and advice. Want to clarify some points:

1. They think this mass may be Cysticercosis, which is essentially a tape worm/parasite. But this is a guess, and it could just as likely be something else.
2. My girlfriend is a caring person, these last few days have been hard mostly because of the stark difference in her, but also in seeing that she's aware of what's going on.
3. When I found out about the mass, I called her in tears and she came over instantly. She's there, she's willing to pick up the phone and hold space when I need it, when I ask her if she means it she says of course. It's the emotional side of her that's somehow different, and she's named it. That she feels guilty that she can't be present like I need her to be, and she doesn't have the answers as to why.
4. When she said "we all die" she immediately apologized and said it wasn't innapropriate the way she was acting/what she had said.

I realize that everyone here is basically saying call it now or wait but it's hosed. I guess all I can say is that I'm not ready to walk away from her, I need to understand what's happened and if there's a way to make this work I will.

But what I feel I've been empowered with by you all is the ability to respect myself and make my needs/feelings heard and not be afraid of those consequences; that's my absolute right in this situation. I can't control, nor do I want to, what she thinks or feels, and I want her to be happy. But I'm hurt, badly. And that's not ok.

artsy fartsy posted:

Should I leave Reddit snd never come back?
yes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It’s like Hills Like White Elephants in r/relationships form

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1redflag posted:

It’s like Hills Like White Elephants in r/relationships form

We finally know why the baby shoes were never worn

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My girlfriend (F 29) who had been talking about future/children with me (M 27) went to Burning Man and came back a different person.

yes.

Reeks of gf taking large doses of psychoactive substances.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Miss posted:

bitchy cousin played her hand too early, real power move would have been to surprise them with the entry fee when they arrive

Can you even imagine?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [29M] best friend [28M] and his wife [27F] are pregnant and I am afraid to tell my wife [29F].

January has always been the plan to try

who the heck plans a september baby

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Licarn posted:

Ones who will never forget.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Licarn posted:

Never was a cloudy birthday

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Does the OP say whether or not there's an open bar? I think that really makes or breaks the $50 entry fee.
Nah, $50 is still too much to pay for some mass produced beer or bottom-shelf wine/booze. Might as well just sneak in a flask of $25-30 stuff and save yourself some money.

QuarkJets posted:

That's a good way to get people to not go to your wedding
I know we won’t get this update, but I’d love to know how this scheme works in practice for regular non-family guests. I’m trying to imagine being a guest at the wedding here and I just can’t imagine any scenario that doesn’t go like this:
1.) Complete confusion about the fee, saying that no, I’m good, I usually buy a gift off the registry
2.) Burst into laughter because haha, good joke
3.) Eventually roll my eyes and just walk away. From here, either get irritated and walk out or just go with a vague “fine whatever, I’ll uh, do that later” and mentally plan on ending our friendship the instant I finish enjoying your free booze.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
OP needed to post proof that it happened because people doubted her, thanks reddit!!!!!

quote:

AITA for being pissed off that my boyfriend chose to spend hours playing a computer game instead of even bothering to check I was alright following a massive seizure..?
u/FreyaAlinaCeleste6h
ETA: photos for everyone saying I’m bullshitting 🙄 https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ak6DfWtbS6IRkzkxim6XWMqHFdpN

Yesterday morning I (20f) text my boyfriend (21f) asking him to call me when he woke up: I was in a good mood and I just wanted to do something with him. He called me and essentially said what I wanted to do wasn’t important enough. So we didn’t do it.

He had an interview that I set up for him that afternoon and was SUPPOSED to come and see me after, at about 5:40pm.

At about 3:30pm, I was having a shower and, whilst I was shaving, I had a particularly big seizure. I cut up my arm and my leg, I fractured my foot, I cracked the bath, and brought the entire ceiling down. I awoke to the ungodly crash beneath me, about 40 minutes after I remember going in to the shower. I went to my room, called an ambulance, and text my boyfriend.

My boyfriend text back immediately, so he knew what had happened, and I text him immediately after: he never bothered to respond.

I spent an hour with the paramedics until my sister arrived to look after me. It’s worth noting my sister lives an hour’s drive away whereas you can get to my boyfriend’s house in less than five minutes.

I took a nap and woke up to a load of discord notifications from the GC and it turns out whilst I was having the longest seizure of my life, my boyfriend was just loving about playing a stupid boat game. He plays games every day, normally it gets a bit annoying but I don’t really care, do what makes you happy. HOWEVER, given the circumstances I am incredibly upset and hurt that he chose to play a stupid boat game over even checking that I was alright (until his sister told him off).

I sent him a message going off at him because I don’t think that was okay to do when you claim to love someone, but I KNOW that when he wakes up and/or reads it he’ll just be like WeLl I sAiD iD pLaY wItH tHeM and YoUrE oVeRrEaCtInG, so before he has the chance to make me feel worse than I already do, I’m here to triple check that I’m not the arsehole here 😔

E: the game is world of warships

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 17, 2020

kru
Oct 5, 2003

what was the boat game

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Need to play the game to decide if boyfriend’s priorities are in order or not

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

teen witch posted:

AITA for being pissed off that my boyfriend chose to spend hours playing a computer game instead of even bothering to check I was alright following a massive seizure..?

Based on just the unspoilered parts she should break up with him. Based on the spoilered parts she should super break up with him.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Here's a fun one:

AITA for telling my cousin he could not use the bathroom at the dinner table?

quote:

My wife's cousin lives right down the road (we're out in the country.) We have family dinners every so often and he and his mother are always invited along with the rest of the extended family members that live nearby.

Cousin Tatty (nickname) suffers from limited mobility and is confined a power chair. His limited mobility isn't from being physically handicapped but from being severely overweight.

Our house didn't used to have a wheelchair ramp but I actually built one off the back porch just for him a couple of years ago. I feel like I'm enabling him as he's only 39yo and could probably use some help with his weight but he makes a big deal about his knees being bad and his back and my wife insisted because he had been making a scene about getting up the stairs and complaining a lot and we were afraid he would fall.

We had dinner tonight and were sitting there eating and suddenly we hear an explosion as Tatty uses the bathroom in his chair during the meal. It was not number one but number two, and we could hear it splattering into the special reservoir underneath the seat. Its not quiet at all but very loud and unrestrained.

Tatty just pretends that nothing is out of the ordinary but my niece starts laughing and I just cannot handle it anymore and I stand up and tell Tatty that he just can't use the bathroom at the dinner table like that.

He gets really angry and says that he can't help it, and I say he could at least have excused himself and gone out on the porch before just letting loose like that.

It boils over all of a sudden when his mother jumps in the fray yelling and going ballistic about his mobility problems and then I suggest that maybe her 39yo son crapping at the dinner table was a sign that they needed help when she says thats enough and she and Tatty leave and go home.

Family is all upset and some on Tatty's side some on mine.

AITA for yelling at Cousin Tatty and saying what I said?

*Clarifiication* - As far as I know, Tatty does not have any other physical or mental handicap issues. Its just his weight.

** The chair is specially rigged to where he can use the bathroom on the go. Its more of a gurney and his lower half is covered in blankets so I don't know and don't want to know how it works if there's a toilet seat he's always on or what **

So according to this guy, bad knees are a totally valid reason to not only make zero effort to get anywhere near a healthy weight, but to take a poo poo right next to people who are eating.

Quick, someone call TLC's talent scouts!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Shatty Tatty strikes with no remorse.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Is it racist that I (21/F) don’t want to marry my boyfriend (27/M) of 3 years because it would drop my/my future kids’ social status?

quote:

I’m a 21 yo female and I’m half white/half Lebanese. I’m very light skin and have a nice, foreign last name that is unique and starts with the letter “A”. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years and initially never thought about this, but lately it’s been making me question our relationship. My boyfriend is a 27 yo Hispanic (Mexican) man and even though he is light skin, he has a super Mexican last name. I love him so much, but I truly don’t want to marry him because then even though my kids would be half Mexican, they would just be labeled as “Mexicans” due to their last name. I feel like I got a lot of privilege not having a Hispanic last name, regardless of my skin color (which I’m sure played a role in it, too, but that’s not the point).

Also, we live in Orange County, CA if that does anything.

TL;DR: I’m wondering if it’s truly racist that I don’t want to marry my boyfriend because it would drop my (and especially my future kids’) social status? This is based on me being white/Lebanese and him being Mexican; thus, giving our future kids’ a Mexican last name and them being labeled as Mexican due to that.

Also, if it isn’t racist, is it still bad?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

perfectly normal in europe

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I’m (23 M) nervous about asking my GF’s (27 F) father for his blessing to marry her

quote:

So, I’m in a long distance relationship (I’m in the UK and she’s in the US) and have been for almost 9 months now. I’ve visited three times while we’ve been together (there right now) and then in a couple weeks she comes to visit me. We’ve been talking about marriage for a little while now and I’m looking to ask her this year. Due to trying to save money for marriage, we’ve both agreed that these trips will be our last until then. So I have to ask her father for his blessing tomorrow as that’s the day I’ve asked to have a chat with him. Now I’m sure this is a very normal thing to be worried about, but there’s a couple reasons in particular that are making me very nervous.

The first being that I’m just generally a shy, awkward guy. I have found it surprisingly easy to get along with him since knowing him and he has been a very nice guy. She has told me that he really likes me and he usually wants to hang out while I’m visiting and stuff. But that doesn’t stop me being nervous at talking with him.

The second one is that his hearing is awful. You can be face to face and he’ll ask you to repeat yourself. I also speak fairly softly and have a foreign accent to make it more difficult for him to understand me. During my first visit I feel like he understood me pretty well as my GF warned me that he may not. So that was positive, but since then I feel like maybe his hearing got worse or something because he’s always asking me to repeat myself. So, I don’t really want to be having to repeat myself during this chat, as I’m already nervous enough about him straight-up rejecting me. I have what I want to say written down so perhaps I could hand him that and then talk so he has notes to read while I’m talking. Sounds stupid so please let me know what you think.

Lastly, I have student debt and am still looking for a job in my field (I graduated about 6months ago). So she told me that he’s very serious about having no debts and I need to find a way of assuring him that it’s not an issue that I’ll have. I don’t have any credit cards and I hate owing people money so I pay everything up front. I don’t like debts hanging over my head, but in the case of the student debt I just didn’t have any other option but to get a £51,000 student loan. As a 19 year old I just didn’t have that kind of cash available to me. And with regards to the work situation, I have perhaps become too comfortable in my current job situation. I REALLY enjoy working with my dad. I’ve been there for 6 years throughout college and university and just love the work. Only issue is it pays minimum wage and the owner is awful. On top of that I work at McDonald’s. So I get it, I’m not really seeming like husband material lol. But I’ve been working hard to get a visa sponsorship job in the US and it’s so difficult. I applied for jobs and got around 10 replies for interviews in the first week but all of them said no when they realised I had to be sponsored. So my proposition is going to be that I get the fiancé visa and get married so that I can then get a job in the US. It should hopefully be straightforward as I got a lot of replies instantly, so hopefully he recognises that.

Please let me know any tips on what to say/do, what you think of the situation etc.

TL;DR - Im about to ask my GF’s father to marry her tomorrow but I’m nervous. Need thoughts on the reasons I’ve stated

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

yes.

Lmao she definitely did mdma and/or lsd and hosed someone else at burning man.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

Here's a fun one:

AITA for telling my cousin he could not use the bathroom at the dinner table?

Dear lord. :stonk:

What subforum do you think he posts in?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Ultra Carp

Kuros posted:

We need to complete our D2 build:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Licarn posted:

Is it racist that I (21/F) don’t want to marry my boyfriend (27/M) of 3 years because it would drop my/my future kids’ social status?

This story seems designed to make a Trump supporter's head explode.

Edit: lol The account that posted it is called "hydropussy" and has a weird thing picture as a reddit profile picture, and the only posts it has is that thread, a comment asking some girl posting nude selfies if she's ever hosed a girl, and then a comment on someone's cock picture saying "wow, that's a massive cock".

Odds are it's probably some weird racist, closeted, alt right trump supporter.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 17, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

Something about the very earnest panic in this one is making me chuckle.

Should I be so nervous after typing such a long comment?

Should I leave Reddit snd never come back?

I mean, yeah generally speaking

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thread title

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I [18M] fell in love with my friend with benefits [40sF], should I try to have a relationship with her?

quote:

Tldr: I caught feelings for a woman who is much older than I am, I want to date her , but don’t know to to start a relationship with her.

This woman I have been seeing is much older than I am and I have been seeing her for quite a while now. She’s a nice and a very caring person with me. I actually met her through my mom, she frequently makes food for our parties or parties my family has. I see her almost everyday and I spend the night at her place a lot.

She does not look as old as she is, she actually looks like she is in her 30s and she lives by herself. She has told me she loves me, but I haven’t told her I am into her that way because I don’t want to scare her off. When I stay at her place, she has also said that she wouldn’t mind me just having me around all the time so I am thinking she might be into me at least a little.

What do you guys suggest I do? I don’t want to put her in a bad position or make her not want to see me anymore

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MODS

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

yes.

Is it possible she killed a man and is now reflecting on her own, and indeed all of our, mortality?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I'm...gonna have to rename my Shatner tattoo

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Just be glad he's got a bedpan with him at all times instead of making GBS threads in some ratty gurglespurts pants

Could you imagibe? Shatty Tatty and his Ratty Pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

What a nickname he has, it just screams me meek helplessness.