Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

In 1978 Peter Valenti proposed the term film blanc to cover the very popular genre of film throughout the 1930s and 40s in which people had gently humorous, often uplifting or life-affirming encounters with angels, ghosts, or other benign agents of another world, such as Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Heaven Can Wait, or A Matter of Life and Death:

"Peter Valenti" posted:

We might use the term “film blanc” to suggest a scenario. with the following characteristics:

1) a mortal's death or lapse into dream;
2) subsequent acquaintance with a kindly representative of the world beyond, most commonly known as Heaven;
3) a budding love affair;
4) ultimate transcendence of mortality to escape the spiritual world and return to the mortal world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 24, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 12-13, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 20-22, 2015)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Resident Idiot posted:

For the few goons in this thread who don't read the Daily Cartoonist, I come to report that thread favourite Brother Rock has picked up a print deal:

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/16/brother-rock-comic-strip-gets-into-print-paper/

In Nashville. And Guy Gilchrist has been fired. Anyone know if the new artist is any good?

Wait, Gilchrist was just the artist? He wasn't writing it? Bad as Brother Rock was/is I wasn't attributing those issues to the artist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

amigolupus posted:

I'm not sure what annoys me more: Les with that ghoulish joke, Les' wife only showing interest with the possibility of an Oscar, or how the artist has drawn everyone smirking for so long that they can't draw someone smiling in a natural way anymore.
I imagine she's excited because she knows that she's stuck for the rest of her life in the shadow of Saint Lisa, so she might as well get secondhand fame out of it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I'm the artifacting on Gwen as her copy-paste cutout gets shrunk down to fit in the third strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

It's interesting that from Willie's perspective, Prue attacked him because she got forced into doing it by the rear end in a top hat brothers. Unless the brothers tell him, he doesn't know that Prue really got into the thrill of killing others.

Also interesting that from the brothers' perspective Prue was becoming a liability entirely because she was extending the murder scheme for sentimental reasons unrelated to the actual long term goal. Their dickish behavior may have been amped up by the fear that they were pushing their luck, coupled with a desire to prevent Prue from having too much fun and talking them into doing another murder just for the hell of it. Ironically they succeed so wildly in this task that Prue not only backed down from enjoying the murders she decided to turn full snitch even though there wasn't anyone for her to rat them out to yet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

The other antiquarians likely still see Amy as an upstart. Probably on account of the victory dances in her younger days.

Oh I forgot Lottie owned one of these :3:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Thinking about it, the clearly lower detail in general on the dream-deli kinda ruins my joke.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Strontium posted:

It has been many years since Sarah last showed up in Intelligent Life, so let's do a recap of the years she was part of the comic.

Thanks for this, now I hate Intelligent Life even more. :v:

Can't believe Mopsy did the "has two hands" meme before it was cool.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I imagine she's excited because she knows that she's stuck for the rest of her life in the shadow of Saint Lisa, so she might as well get secondhand fame out of it.

I'm morbidly curious why she even married Les in the first place, what with Les being a insufferable opportunist who never got over Saint Lisa. What did she even see in the guy? The only "romance" I can think of that rivals it in being terrible is Pete and his girlfriend, mostly because of that completely terrible "proposal" he did in the fair.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

As a reminder, there was at one point two women after Les post-Lisa saintification.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Major Crime Squad

ACAB Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

:rolleyes: Corny, but it still beats the hell out of Working Daze since they actually worked the reference into what's happening instead of just presenting a reference all on its own and calling it done.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

RandomPauI posted:

Why did Gilchrist and other guy split?
When you and a partner come up with a hot IP like Brother Rock, there's bound to be some tension.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Am I the only one here that absolutely hates this stupid comic? I think i might be. For some reason it really gets on my nerves how the adults understand the kid and wacky hijinks ensue. A baby? Made a trapdoor? Why what will they think of next ha ha!

Strontium posted:

It has been many years since Sarah last showed up in Intelligent Life, so let's do a recap of the years she was part of the comic.
I appreciate you doing this, because I was wondering who the hell that was.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Wholesome Food

The Phantom

That man needs serious medical attention now, Mr Whowalks.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Well, when I was a kid what I considered "old" is different from what is "old" now. I don't think that's weird.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Tiggum posted:

Sure, Tommie drank half a bottle of vodka in the time it took Sara to finish getting ready. Totally plausible.
Welsh spotted.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Has Batuik ever explained why Lisa's Story in particular is so engrossing? I mean, not to be insensitive but LOTS OF PEOPLE have had their spouses die from cancer. Is there anything particularly tragic or special about Lisa specifically? What would the story of this movie even be?

How are they going to pitch "some guy's wife gets sick and dies: the end" to any Hollywood exec?

RandomPauI posted:

Why did Gilchrist and other guy split?

Who knows, but it means the other guy has made at least one good decision in his life. Gilchrist has lost both his jobs in two years and now he's just left re-posting old Nancy strips on Facebook and pretending they're new. And eventually the syndicate will take that away. This is exactly how his story should end. gently caress Gilchrist.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Johnny Walker posted:

Am I the only one here that absolutely hates this stupid comic? I think i might be. For some reason it really gets on my nerves how the adults understand the kid and wacky hijinks ensue. A baby? Made a trapdoor? Why what will they think of next ha ha!

DD tries to be both a grounded slice of life thing while also doing wacky cartoon humor and neither element really works. In fact the two tones undermine each other consistently. I’d be annoyed with it but DD is so aggressively mundane and unchallenging that I can’t even work up the energy to hate it. It’s just kind of... there.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
December 30th & 31st, 1980
Major has a point sometimes...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

Wholesome Food

"Sheesh, they should call that place, 'Wholesome Paycheck!' Wait..."

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

Well, when I was a kid what I considered "old" is different from what is "old" now. I don't think that's weird.

"Looking weird, falling asleep in the middle of the day...As a doctor, I've diagnosed Tildy as 'Too Old.' Yep. She should've died already, and we're going to have to put her down."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

DD tries to be both a grounded slice of life thing while also doing wacky cartoon humor and neither element really works. In fact the two tones undermine each other consistently. I’d be annoyed with it but DD is so aggressively mundane and unchallenging that I can’t even work up the energy to hate it. It’s just kind of... there.

It was a lot more charming when you could interpret it so the dad was just making up what the baby talk meant, and having humorous conversations with himself. Sort of like how my cat still owes me ten bucks for that bet "we" made when watching a political debate in 2012:

:v: "I bet nobody mentions [whatever it was] in their answers to this question."
:3: "Mrow?"
:v: "Okay, ten bucks it is, you're on."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Next week: new adventure!

Classic Working Daze

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Idgi. What's a Hobson?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samovar posted:

Idgi. What's a Hobson?

Hobson is a character, not sure why he doesn't like him but this pooch is very particular about his friends

e: aha

Darlene "Cheeky" Hobson
Wal's girlfriend. She is the proprietor of La Parisienne Hairdressing Salon in Raupo. Cheeky is despised by the Dog, who is always looking for ways to come between her and Wal. She has two younger sisters, Belinda (Book 10) and Avril (Books 14 and 24), also both disliked by the Dog. Near the end of the strip's run, Cheeky and Wal become engaged, much to the dismay of the Dog and Aunt Dolly, but at the last minute Cheeky dumps Wal to move to Los Angeles with a male stripper. She is first mentioned in Wal's mini-biography at the start of Book 1 (September 1978), but does not appear until Book 3 (July 1980).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

gleebster posted:

Today's (well, October 23, 1962's) Juliet Jones, in which Eve enters and immediately starts prying.

There's no real malice in her, but she is kinda nosy.

I love Eve. She's the best. And it is completely appropriate that she enters the strip with a dramatic flourish toward a reading audience that she can't possibly see, but somehow instinctively knows is there.

Johnny Walker posted:

Nah, I'm right there with you. I thought it was vaguely cute in a blah sort of way at first when I thought the premise was that the baby was babbling and the dad was making up improbable words to put in his mouth. Once it became clear that no, the baby is really and truly intending to say these improbable words and the dad can understand him somehow it became infinitely less interesting.

That is not the look of a man who intends to stop giving anyone a hard time.

Okay, okay, I confess. That pamphlet got a genuine laugh out of me.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

amigolupus posted:

It's interesting that from Willie's perspective, Prue attacked him because she got forced into doing it by the rear end in a top hat brothers. Unless the brothers tell him, he doesn't know that Prue really got into the thrill of killing others.

I hadn't thought about this until you posted it, and I'm really glad this adventure ended this way, even though I'm not a fan of the "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you" sophistry.

I think Modesty is my favourite adventure strip.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

Has Batuik ever explained why Lisa's Story in particular is so engrossing? I mean, not to be insensitive but LOTS OF PEOPLE have had their spouses die from cancer. Is there anything particularly tragic or special about Lisa specifically? What would the story of this movie even be?

How are they going to pitch "some guy's wife gets sick and dies: the end" to any Hollywood exec?

Sure, it's kind of a mundane premise, but not when it's brought to life by the magical storytelling skills of Tom Bat Les Moore.

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/16/00

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vargo posted:

Even if Lisa was the only one in the Funkyverse to die of Cancer, I can't imagine what could be interesting about it. Les always sounds like a whiny jackass, so why would you even read an entire book about his thought process and such.

Transmodiar posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm kind of weirded out that Willie pretty much killed the two here. I'm so used to Modesty and Willie always knocking out enemies that this one threw me for a loop. That, and Willie didn't really have a good reason to do this like avenging Prue or being mad at the Grim Jokers like Modesty was at the start.

Julet Esqu posted:

Nah, I'm right there with you. I thought it was vaguely cute in a blah sort of way at first when I thought the premise was that the baby was babbling and the dad was making up improbable words to put in his mouth. Once it became clear that no, the baby is really and truly intending to say these improbable words and the dad can understand him somehow it became infinitely less interesting.

That's what I feel about DD too. I forgot who it was, but someone in the last thread said that DD sucked because it was like a comic with Snoopy in it all the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm kind of weirded out that Willie pretty much killed the two here. I'm so used to Modesty and Willie always knocking out enemies that this one threw me for a loop. That, and Willie didn't really have a good reason to do this like avenging Prue or being mad at the Grim Jokers like Modesty was at the start.

This whole Grim Jokers arc has just felt icky and a cut below what Modesty is capable of.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The smugness that is eminating from Funky Winkerbean is really something to behold.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think part of it is because Modesty usually gets into adventures by helping out friends and strangers who happen to be in need of help. Here, Modesty and Willie don't really have that strong of a reason to go after the Grim Joker. There only being three Grim Jokers also doesn't lend much threat to the story, so we get OOC stuff like Willie and Modesty letting Prue get to the island without suspecting her, or Willie getting knocked out with little trouble. The weirdest part is probably the two brothers sharing Prue between them.

It does make me appreciate how tight the pacing is in Modesty Blaise. A worse comic would have draggeed this story out for another month.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about your manager you loathe and go back to making “jokes” about 4th of July decorations already being up and how you’re so much superior and intelligent than the rear end in a top hat customer you smug retail dope

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about your manager you loathe and go back to making “jokes” about 4th of July decorations already being up and how you’re so much superior and intelligent than the rear end in a top hat customer you smug retail dope

Sir, this is a Grumbel's.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I detest Daddy Daze, though it's not quite at the level of a Working Daze or 9CL

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1937)

We're at the point where Foster starts to give up on just using regular-sized panels, so there may be some duplication between images like today as I don't want to spend a ton of time trying to edit the images together cleanly. I'll try make sure each panel is represented whole in at least one of the images, and will include any panels that I can't avoid cutting in half in an extra image when I can.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Retail I need you to have Martha investigate where Stuart is and find him dead in his office or something, or maybe Grumbels actually closes down, DO something with the plot please and make it interesting

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/28/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/6/46

Mopsy 8/15/42

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Vargo accidentally posted their comic update in the wrong thread so I'll quote it here :v:

Vargo posted:

BCN

Phoebe

Big Nate -edit-makers, do the obvious.

Wallace

Curtis

New hat design looks okay in profile, wonder if that was why Billingsley switched.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Is the Zits an edit. Did one of you get a job drawing Zits.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Gloomy Rube posted:

Vargo accidentally posted their comic update in the wrong thread so I'll quote it here :v:

Hahaha whoops my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

riderchop posted:

Is the Zits an edit. Did one of you get a job drawing Zits.

Lol no, the hot flash strips appear every once in a while and have ever since I can remember