Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

wasnt the term incel literally coined by a woman to describe herself

a lesbian in a small town, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chmods please posted:

"no biological basis for mental illnesses" holy what

This person seems to not realize that "biological" doesn't mean "100% dictated by genetics" and that it's possible for environmental factors to influence a thing that also has biological causes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also inceldom isn't a male issue.

The issue is the incels and their behavior which is a woman's issue

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

Also inceldom isn't a male issue.

The issue is the incels and their behavior which is a woman's issue

How is inceldom not a male issue? The people experiencing it are men. Saying it's a women's issue because they might see an incel board they go looking for or get spoken to rudely on Twitter by one is, again, like saying menstruation is a male issue because men have to deal with women on their periods. It's that level of :psyduck:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
How many cis men has menstruation killed?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

O Yeetus posted:

How is inceldom not a male issue? The people experiencing it are men. Saying it's a women's issue because they might see an incel board they go looking for or get spoken to rudely on Twitter by one is, again, like saying menstruation is a male issue because men have to deal with women on their periods. It's that level of :psyduck:

These are people who are not getting their needs met in the way that not eating caviar is a food security issue.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

O Yeetus posted:

the people being killed by it are women

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

people of all genders are having less sex in general, inceldom is only a male 'issue' in that only men are egging each other on into becoming murderous psychopaths because they aren't getting laid

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

YaketySass posted:

Probably an extraordinarily, vanishingly small number. Just like the number of women killed by inceldom

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

O Yeetus posted:

How is inceldom not a male issue? The people experiencing it are men.

if the only people experiencing inceldom were the incels themselves it wouldn't be an issue

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

These are people who are not getting their needs met in the way that not eating caviar is a food security issue.

Intimacy is in fact a basic human need and I can't believe anyone doubts that in 2020

Brother Entropy posted:

people of all genders are having less sex in general, inceldom is only a male 'issue' in that only men are egging each other on into becoming murderous psychopaths because they aren't getting laid

There are way, way more male incels than female ones

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

O Yeetus posted:

There are way, way more male incels than female ones

that's what i was saying, yes. there are far less women turning 'not getting laid' into an immutable part of their personality and subcultures they associate with

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ytlaya posted:

This person seems to not realize that "biological" doesn't mean "100% dictated by genetics" and that it's possible for environmental factors to influence a thing that also has biological causes.

yeah things like "nutrition" and "infections" would be covered by "biology" and I think it's pretty obvious how those can make a person miserable

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

O Yeetus posted:

Probably an extraordinarily, vanishingly small number. Just like the number of women killed by inceldom

Hell, I can think of 8 women that were killed by inceldom right off the top of my head. The Toronto van attack that happened in April of 2018

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

O Yeetus posted:

Intimacy is in fact a basic human need and I can't believe anyone doubts that in 2020

You know how the right unfairly vilifies feminism because they don't read what feminists actually say?

You fail to fairly vilify incels because you don't read what they actually say.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

O Yeetus posted:

sexual intimacy isn’t a human need. you don’t die or go crazy stranded alone somewhere because you have no one to gently caress. lack of interaction with other people can be detrimental to mental health. and incels seek out the most unhealthy interactions they can by hanging out with people who have convinced themselves they hate everything.

if you mean people have an innate need for community and acceptance, yeah, that’s true. and that’s what incel communities and nazi groups offer, which is why they hook so many disenfranchised people that say things which garner a “they’re so close they just don’t get it” from people here.

but back to the original supposition, a lot of people who inhabit incel spaces very likely don’t “suffer” from it in any involuntary way. they choose to be there because they got shot down once or got sucked in by gamergate bullshit or the like and just don’t want to try.

you kind of have to choose a definition before you can talk about it.

either it’s a descriptor which means “involuntarily celibate” - which on its face has no bias toward affecting men and we don’t have any good means of collecting such data without being pretty invasive

or you mean the incel “movement” (or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it) which is a misogyny clubhouse. and it’s very existence slants the view of who is actually an incel under the first definition since part of their propaganda is how they’re the only ones that deal with it and it’s everyone else’s fault

the latter is most definitely a woman’s problem

e: doubled up rather than condensing my thoughts. removed first part

Ugato has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jan 18, 2020

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

You are not allowed to have an opinion on something unless you have experienced it first hand. Got something to say about the Flint water crisis? Whatever you were about to say doesn't matter. You have to move to Flint and drink the water until your brain is fried otherwise your opinion doesn't count. It's not a real one :colbert:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
IMO part of the problem is that we've put as much cultural pressure as we possibly could on the couple to fullfill functions previously occupied by the surrounding community and larger family unit. Your SO is supposed to be the one friend your age you keep regularly seeing into a busy adulthood, parents go in retirement homes and kids in higher education, and communal activities are on the decline. Plus if you're a woman you're still low-key expected to do the chores as your man's personal maid. Incel bullshit is still mostly young male anxiety, but I don't think it's far from their mind that they're falling off the wagon, not getting the right life script, and that the alternative is scary uncharted territory, a form of social death.

Enter reactionary discourse about how this is the fault of woman's lib and we need to reinsert mandatory gender roles for every man to get his due wife.

YaketySass has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jan 18, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a pipe dream to expect social alienation to present itself in a rational or progressive way. It's the nature of alienation that it drives the sufferer to act destructively, on account that they are not socialized and have no healthy point of reference. Incels are just one sliver of something that reappears throughout history in dysfunctional societies, and that always resolves itself into violence.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
saying all incels are like Elliot Rodgers is like saying all gay people are like Jeffery Dahmer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

YaketySass posted:

pregnancy-related homicide is a thing

as in, being pregnant elevates your chances of both committing and being the victim of homicide

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

It's a pipe dream to expect social alienation to present itself in a rational or progressive way. It's the nature of alienation that it drives the sufferer to act destructively, on account that they are not socialized and have no healthy point of reference. Incels are just one sliver of something that reappears throughout history in dysfunctional societies, and that always resolves itself into violence.

Yeah, its mid-late capitalism alienation (expected, predicted) plus internet alienation (unprecedented?). People are atomized and opportunities to build a good life are getting more scarce, its presenting in lots of different ways, none of which are good.

Theres some argument to be made that the specifics of online dating may be more negative/alienating for men than for women, but its not like thats some thing that women did to men, Patriarchy is just bad for men too.

That said, to the incel-defending dude who registered one month ago for a dead gay comedy forum and is either a gimmick or Jon Pop, neither this forum, or anywhere else on the internet, is a particularly good place to talk about this. Incels have basically poisoned the well on talking about romantic rejection/loneliness/alienation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

O Yeetus posted:

gently caress off nazi

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

saying all incels are like Elliot Rodgers is like saying all gay people are like Jeffery Dahmer

:eyepop:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

as in, being pregnant elevates your chances of both committing and being the victim of homicide

calling committing suicide 'homicide' in this context is dishonest

uninterrupted posted:

good thread content

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

uninterrupted posted:

[Terminator2skeleton.gif]

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/utopianparallax/status/1218355949708156928?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What is even happening

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Yeah, its mid-late capitalism alienation (expected, predicted) plus internet alienation (unprecedented?). People are atomized and opportunities to build a good life are getting more scarce, its presenting in lots of different ways, none of which are good.

Theres some argument to be made that the specifics of online dating may be more negative/alienating for men than for women, but its not like thats some thing that women did to men, Patriarchy is just bad for men too.

That said, to the incel-defending dude who registered one month ago for a dead gay comedy forum and is either a gimmick or Jon Pop, neither this forum, or anywhere else on the internet, is a particularly good place to talk about this. Incels have basically poisoned the well on talking about romantic rejection/loneliness/alienation.

Problem is giving up on the problem and saying people are just too drat irrational to talk about it is the same poo poo liberals have been doing that's leaving clearly successful far-right recruiting pipelines to do their thing with zero competing narratives.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

please knock Mom! posted:

calling committing suicide 'homicide' in this context is dishonest

nah they kill their spouses more often too. fellas, be nice to the pregnant ladies in your lives

tbf elevated suicide rate is also a thing with pregnancy and postpartum - also instead of depression you can get postpartum psychosis

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1218312907815034881?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Check out the bio

https://twitter.com/schooltruth/status/1217921967673749506?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1218246604567859200?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Someone ask the police what the three arrows stand for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the peace sign.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem is giving up on the problem and saying people are just too drat irrational to talk about it is the same poo poo liberals have been doing that's leaving clearly successful far-right recruiting pipelines to do their thing with zero competing narratives.

I don't disagree, theres a direct, intentional pipeline on the internet from "dude who has trouble finding romantic partners" to "some variety of far rightist". You want to start a thread about it, go ahead, i'll post in it, but i think you're gonna end up with a mess of toxic bought-in incels, miscellaneous RW poo poo-stirrers, and folks who view "pathetic lonely dudes" as one of the last targets they can still mercilessly poo poo on without getting shamed.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
The most charitable interpretation of the biology take is that the sphere of biology is not sufficient (or perhaps even necessary) to explain mental illness as the phenomenon it is here and now. (The question of necessity depends on how much of the mental illness phenomenon could be resolved without understanding anything about the specific biological mechanisms that need to get triggered for mental illnesses to manifest.)

Tulip posted:

yeah things like "nutrition" and "infections" would be covered by "biology" and I think it's pretty obvious how those can make a person miserable

Case in point: biology can't explain how it is that people get the kinds of inadequate nutrition and preventable infections, or any other forms of lack that trigger the development of mental illness. Realistically, biology can point toward solutions for a lot of things but the question remains why the solutions aren't discovered or applied. And medicine for a lot of things was developed and applied long before anyone could understand how it functioned biologically. Hell, a lot of modern medicine is like that, developed while pursuing a false hypothesis but used because it empirically works anyway.

O Yeetus posted:

Intimacy hasn't been respected as an important need for anyone but middling and higher status men for countless generations though, and people have been surprisingly fine. I mean, women have historically had to struggle for a consistent right to intimacy within their literal for-life marriages for thousands of years and it has only been granted at times. About half of men historically have died childless IIRC. Physical intimacy between unmarried couples has been forbidden and the right to marriage has been controlled by various patriarchal institutions.

When it comes to incels specifically, they explicitly demand that others permanently and involuntarily give up their own needs in order to satisfy incel needs. Even if lack of intimacy were a critical unfulfilled need that caused these guys to suffer terribly, the scale of suffering they demand from others as their "medicine" is socially intolerable. It's like if the undeniably real suffering of narcissists were solved by assigning each of them people whose 24/7 unpaid job it is to enable them to live their delusions regardless of their personal feelings about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Obviously the things that cannot be explained by biology are the actions of Thetans.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://mobile.twitter.com/pavanvan/status/1218315197514952704

a gentle, sophisticated humor that took a compassionately ironic view of American life

https://www.theonion.com/school-bully-not-so-tough-since-being-molested-1819587116

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I don't disagree, theres a direct, intentional pipeline on the internet from "dude who has trouble finding romantic partners" to "some variety of far rightist". You want to start a thread about it, go ahead, i'll post in it, but i think you're gonna end up with a mess of toxic bought-in incels, miscellaneous RW poo poo-stirrers, and folks who view "pathetic lonely dudes" as one of the last targets they can still mercilessly poo poo on without getting shamed.

No, you're right. It's too hard, so we shouldn't try.