Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

the end result of this line of thinking is not saying anything negative or positive about anyone because everything is out of our control due to our genetic traits and entire course of life (trajectory of atoms from big bang resulting in creation of our surrounding environment/pressures) being set in stone at the beginning of time (400 years ago.) snooze won't let me say the B word and it makes me mad.

haha bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

let me say it

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
A jester may work only if the mod discloses at the start of the game that a jester exists because then scum get to use it to try to hide. You’d have to build the whole setup around it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

As gnc I can say all the gender slurs

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

merk posted:

A jester may work only if the mod discloses at the start of the game that a jester exists because then scum get to use it to try to hide. You’d have to build the whole setup around it.

this is actually a really good idea

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

try to find a game where the existence of a jester has made it better, or the jester was fun, etc. you wont be able to. but,m imagine the reverse of that role, a role that won by never dying ever. there could be multiple of them to make it easier and they could all be on a team too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

let me say it

Gulag Can Have a Little Bitch

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Other potential discussion topics: Sarazanmafia when

I’d play it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’ve seen jester work once in a single game of Throne of Lies. They decided to survive until day 4 for the challenge so the flip came out of nowhere. It was great.

Of course axing the jester in that game means you get no axe the next day.

E: every jester in SA Mafia decides to play like a total moron as their chosen strategy. Much like the dayvig it cannot he used in goon games because goons have no self-control

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 18, 2020

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
If the existence of a jester in a game is openly declared by the mod in the OP, I feel it would chage the calculus of whether to actually take the risk of ending the day with a puppycuddlieschmoopsiedoops rather than a no-snuggywugglewoopsiepoof, to such an extent that the differently-aligned faction should have one fewer member than they otherwise would, given that the consequence of a mis-cuddlylunchabunch is instant loss.
Ideally it would ratchet up the tension to the level of a MYLO for every day if the game, but I don’t think it’d ever be especially satisfying. It would probably slow down the pace of games.

The ”Superghost” role that Mr. Steak conceived and MegaZeroX played perfectly to get himself puffysnuffled on D1 in “Everyone Has Passive Abilities” was sort of a jester variant that caused no sour grapes at all, I felt.

Lumpen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 19, 2020

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

A town-aligned jester is wildly imbalanced, especially when they get special powers and get to hang around helping town after their flip

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
3P, independently winning Jester is fineish. They get hammered and they win and exit, but the game continues.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Meinberg posted:

3P, independently winning Jester is fineish. They get hammered and they win and exit, but the game continues.

Yeah but it’s just a dumb wincon, the other factions have a vested interest in surviving by any means. Jester goes against the prevailing logic of the game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah but it’s just a dumb wincon, the other factions have a vested interest in surviving by any means. Jester goes against the prevailing logic of the game.

They definitely should not be a common role but as a rare exception they can liven things up, at least in my opinion.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VioXu6lnP6c

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How about a jester who isn't told they're a jester?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You have to be able to play to your wincon.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GulagDolls posted:

try to find a game where the existence of a jester has made it better, or the jester was fun, etc. you wont be able to. but,m imagine the reverse of that role, a role that won by never dying ever. there could be multiple of them to make it easier and they could all be on a team too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730556

Dancer
May 23, 2011
When I was taught the Jester role it was slightly different: they must first be killed at night whereupon they get informed that it happened, they do not die, and must now be killed during the day. That can work (and I've had an idea to make a game designed around this for literal years).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dancer posted:

When I was taught the Jester role it was slightly different: they must first be killed at night whereupon they get informed that it happened, they do not die, and must now be killed during the day. That can work (and I've had an idea to make a game designed around this for literal years).

Yeah making them work for it is also good

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Lumpen posted:

stupid bullshit blah blah blah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

as I was scrolling through the thread I wanted to make this post and then I saw that you made it so instead I will just empty quote it

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you report anyone in this thread you are a traitor to the mafia community

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i say that because seven years ago, one of you reported me for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235429&pagenumber=684&perpage=40#post416723881 and I have never forgiven it

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

GulagDolls posted:

Free imgay

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think its in character for some people to be hidden traitors in the chat.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
guess that title wasn't enough of an indicator to shut the gently caress up, huh

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

GulagDolls posted:

i say that because seven years ago, one of you reported me for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235429&pagenumber=684&perpage=40#post416723881 and I have never forgiven it

That’s a good post :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

but also gently caress lumpen, so it's actually fine

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Report button is for cops

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Report button is for cops

report button is the cops

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m getting a server error in votefinder when I try to start a new day oh god oh god

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

GulagDolls posted:

That’s hella funny. Sorry gulag xD

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

That’s hella funny. Sorry gulag xD

Oh so you're admitting that it was you who reported Gulag?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

##vote Mr. F!

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
?????

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Oh so you're admitting that it was you who reported Gulag?

get his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m getting a server error in votefinder when I try to start a new day oh god oh god

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look