Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

I obviously haven't tried it having just started playing but there is a Boss Rush mod that presumably does what it says on the tin.

You could also just learn to speedrun. :v:

Guess I could have just googled huh :shobon: thanks in any case

I'd speed run if the dual-blade polearm straw robe fucks weren't so frustrating to deal with :argh: (you haven't seen them yet, lucky you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I could have just googled huh :shobon: thanks in any case

I'd speed run if the dual-blade polearm straw robe fucks weren't so frustrating to deal with :argh: (you haven't seen them yet, lucky you)

You can just run past them. I don't think I killed a single one through two playthroughs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Great Shinobi Owl is down. He was a boss I had to learn to slow down for and just nip away slowly whenever I had an opening. I started the fights terrified of his dumb little anti-healing bombs. Towards the end, I realized that it didn't really matter if I was hit with it or not since I had pretty much learned all of his sword swings so I could just play really defensively if I needed to.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

blackguy32 posted:

I think I broke my game. Tried to do the Kite thing with the puppeteer ninjitsu, and the enemy moved the kite out but now it is stuck out there with no way of moving it back. And the enemy is completely gone now.

A bug I noticed with this is that the enemy is still actually there, he just doesn't load in if you enter the area normally. If you load in from Shugendo and run back through the temple he'll be there, glowing blues eyes, forever holding the kite in place.

thehoodie posted:

You can just run past them. I don't think I killed a single one through two playthroughs.

I did my first time, but yeah, I'll kill pretty much everything else because I love the combat, but it's never a fun time fighting those guys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm a weirdo because I really like the inbetween bits fighting goons and kinda wish they were longer.

Also for anyone having trouble with corrupted monk's first two healthbars I found that ako's spiritfall / candy and jumping at her doing double ichimonji between attacks, than making distance before she can retaliate will eat her posture so hard you can kill her without even landing a wound on her. You don't even really need the candy, she hates this so much it feels almost like the 'official' strategy.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 19, 2020

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Motherfucker posted:

Also for anyone having trouble with corrupted monk's first two healthbars I found that ako's spiritfall / candy and jumping at her doing double ichimonji between attacks, than making distance before she can retaliate will eat her posture so hard you can kill her without even landing a wound on her. You don't even really need the candy, she hates this so much it feels almost like the 'official' strategy.

For phase 2 you can deathblow her from the top branch while she's summoning the shadows

There's also a hilarious cheese for Demon of Hatred I used for my 2nd playthrough. Highly recommend looking it up

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Well I got all the way to SSI with demon bell/no charm but its hard. Not unfair hard. His move set is pretty rough when you can't bully him around. P2 feels like a whole different fight with demon bell.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yaknow, headless kind've make me wish the next Silent Hill game was made by fromsoft...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Which difficulty adjustment would y'all say is a bigger deal, Kuro's Charm or the Demon Bell?

up to Great Shinobi Owl in NG+3, ready to go straight to Fountainhead after, and he's whumping my rear end some again :(

(e) Part of me is also considering starting a new game but dangit I'm close to the hard-rear end cheevs :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ciaphas posted:

Which difficulty adjustment would y'all say is a bigger deal, Kuro's Charm or the Demon Bell?

Charm, by a lot. Bell does make the game harder but doesn’t really require you to change how you play.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ciaphas posted:

up to Great Shinobi Owl in NG+3, ready to go straight to Fountainhead after, and he's whumping my rear end some again :(

(e) Part of me is also considering starting a new game but dangit I'm close to the hard-rear end cheevs :argh:

Kuro's charm means you lose health on block and basically have to actually learn how to perfectly parry or die.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess it's a pretty huge chip, if y'all think it's that much of a threat

It would be interesting to see for sure how much I'm currently deflecting vs blocking, usually I can tell but not always

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lack of Kuro's charm also makes the enemies a lot more resistant to posture damage so you need to play really aggressively against tough bosses the Owl and Isshin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I almost never go for blocks anyway, so maybe I'm more practiced at it than I think

anyways, got through Owl again on NG+3 after a few attempts, and off to Fountainhead. After this I wanted to go back to NG for the last ending, but then I'd have to regain all skills and blurgh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, something I noticed in dialogue and lore that confused me. Mid-late game, I think, between Isshin and Emma: Isshin mentions Genichiro having the "other" Mortal Blade, and that he only has a few swings left before "the Tengu" (lol) dies. Why is it draining Isshin, why does Genichiro have it and what the hell is it anyways? All something to do with the Weird Final Boss poo poo I'm sure but I don't see the link

(ed) Nevermind, found a note I'd previously missed. Another unrelated, more general question: why are there Divine Heirs anyway? First Takeru or Tomoe, whichever it was, then Kuro, and presumably many before. Drink the Water as a baby and get lucky, or something?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 19, 2020

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

(ed) Nevermind, found a note I'd previously missed. Another unrelated, more general question: why are there Divine Heirs anyway? First Takeru or Tomoe, whichever it was, then Kuro, and presumably many before. Drink the Water as a baby and get lucky, or something?

It never goes into detail as to how the Divine Heirs are created, but it appears to be genetic, for the true Dragon's Heritage. The Senpou Monks had an intensive project attempting to create their own heirs, and the Divine Child was created (along with mountains of dead children.) There's a whole theory that the "rice" she gives is actually insect eggs, and Japanese culture associates vermin like centipedes with being unclean and impure; we saw the same motif in Bloodborne with the vermin hunters.

Google it, there's seriously hosed-up fan theory out there.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I also read and then mentioned in this thread a theory that Tomoe used the Black Mortal Blade to kill Takeru which created Kuro. But yes, the true Dragon Heritage is genetic and apparently brought to Japan from elsewhere. Hence the great dragon planting itself in the fountainhead after a long journey, and presumably then causing the water to change.

As for the centipede egg thing I’m gonna be doubtful because the centipedes are literally all over the place including the Corrupted Monk and the Guardian Ape, neither of them would have eaten “rice” from the Divine Child of the Rejuvenating Waters.

Although it is possible she herself is infected and giving out centipede eggs born of her blood, because the centipedes appear to actually be caused by drinking runoff from the fountainhead, the Rejuvenating Waters that she is named for. All of which means that giving her the serpent viscera likely kills her centipede infestation and purifies her, which then leads to space inside her spiritual essence that once held corruption to now hold Kuro’s spirit for that ending.

This also makes Emma’s gourd somewhat unfortunate, because the way it works involves rejuvenating waters and “sediment”. However Sekiro might be immune to centipedes because of the dragonrot he carries instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The dragon heritage might be literal. Wouldn't be the first time in either Far Eastern mythology or the Soulsborne franchise that someone looked at a dragon and went 'yeah, I'd gently caress that', and the Okami Warriors (who seem to be at least dragon-adjacent) do have human descendants in the Gun Fort area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got to the finale before realizing I'd missed a step and couldn't fight Owl Part 2 this game. Now I gotta do it in NG+4

And I still want to give back Kuro's Charm :shepicide:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

I got to the finale before realizing I'd missed a step and couldn't fight Owl Part 2 this game. Now I gotta do it in NG+4

And I still want to give back Kuro's Charm :shepicide:

Do it, you can ask for it back at any time from the Sculptor.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The general theory is that Takeru and Tomoe came from the Divine Realm so they were already immortal. At least one was.

The better theory is aliens crashed at the mountain, hence the lake that could be crater. The dragon is an evolved carp or the carps are all transformed people. Everyone at the fountainhead are human/alien hybrids. The lapis lazuli weapons are alien material. The rejuvenating water is really alien tainted since it came from the fountain head where water mixed with foreign material. The divine heirs are more human than alien and have better powers.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Do it, you can ask for it back at any time from the Sculptor.

On it, I chumped the hell out of intro gonichumi so I seem to be in stride :D

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

On it, I chumped the hell out of intro gonichumi so I seem to be in stride :D

Oh, you needed to give it to Kuro at the start or you can't do it until you see him again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's what I meant, I've had it on from the word go.

Just turned on the bell too because gently caress it I'm just as dead if I blow it anyway

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I just had Isshin do the dragon flash/shockwave move, deflected it, broke his posture (because I was close when it happened), and went for the deathblow, and the second shockwave killed me. I'm going to stream this stuff because no one will believe what happens in my games.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

temple posted:

The general theory is that Takeru and Tomoe came from the Divine Realm so they were already immortal. At least one was.

The better theory is aliens crashed at the mountain, hence the lake that could be crater. The dragon is an evolved carp or the carps are all transformed people. Everyone at the fountainhead are human/alien hybrids. The lapis lazuli weapons are alien material. The rejuvenating water is really alien tainted since it came from the fountain head where water mixed with foreign material. The divine heirs are more human than alien and have better powers.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk!

I'd believe it, everything in the fountainhead looks like its slowly mutating into the same form

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Finally beat SSI with demon bell/no charm NG+6. Using flame vent on P2 helped with keeping his posture from regenerating. Overall, demon bell/no charm wasn't noticeably harder until SSI.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Demon Bell and Kuro's Charm given away both give extra loot and xp for mooks but do gently caress-all for bosses besides make them harder, right?

(smoked lady butterfly on NG+4 last night with said :smug:)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Demon Bell and Kuro's Charm given away both give extra loot and xp for mooks but do gently caress-all for bosses besides make them harder, right?

(smoked lady butterfly on NG+4 last night with said :smug:)

Ciaphas posted:

Eh, jeez, I got the Sculptor sick already and I haven't even gotten one deathblow on the very first miniboss yet

Hm, I uh, may not be cut out for this :(

You've come so far... I'm so proud of u

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:shobon: feels good to master something like this; even on like the fifth goddamn iteration I've still got room to improve, and to me that's frankly amazing

The game's brilliant in most ways, but I remain convinced that that initial difficulty hump is harsh as sulfurous poo poo - possibly too much so

They could give you Mikiri Counter from the word go and maybe a small level of deathblow vitality restoration, or something

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 21, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

in other news, I'm split between laughing and being really mad at the blueballs

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy...

Okay. Alright. Okay. Alright.

Okay.

Somebody please help me here. I'm fighting The "My dad" Owl and holy gently caress somebody help me out here. Is there a closer bonlantshrineternfire than the one near the merchant near the dungeon entrance. I'm not even worried about the boss. I'll figure it out. But Jessie loving Christ, dudes. The run back for another try hurts even more than when the boss shoves my feet up my rear end and pulls them out through my mouth.

Someone please--please--tell me I'm missing something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Okay.

Somebody please help me here. I'm fighting The "My dad" Owl and holy gently caress somebody help me out here. Is there a closer bonlantshrineternfire than the one near the merchant near the dungeon entrance. I'm not even worried about the boss. I'll figure it out. But Jessie loving Christ, dudes. The run back for another try hurts even more than when the boss shoves my feet up my rear end and pulls them out through my mouth.

uh wait you mean on the tippy top of Ashina Castle? where you fought another boss previously? if so, wow that's impressive endurance, in a way

but yes, you are. all the idols in the Ashina Castle area are still there, you just need to get back to them and re-commune, starting from where you say and ending at Ashina Dojo for a 30 second (if that) rerun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Okay.

You can use the same statue you used for Genichiro. You may need to go up through the inside of the castle again to light it, though.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ciaphas posted:

uh wait you mean on the tippy top of Ashina Castle? where you fought another boss previously? if so, wow that's impressive endurance, in a way

but yes, you are. all the idols in the Ashina Castle area are still there, you just need to get back to them and re-commune, starting from where you say and ending at Ashina Dojo for a 30 second (if that) rerun

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I love you and I want to hug and kiss you and live an extremely long, happy, fulfilling life together with you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

eh it'll wear off

elsewhere, i'm taking on corrupted monk before genichiro in ng+4 with bell and without charm. i may be a bit overambitious

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I took a couple days break, came back, did Jozou which was pretty easy with all y'alls info that anything without the symbol is deflectable, still working on actually deflecting rather than just blocking but getting there.

Third try on Lady Butterfly I had her posture gauge one hit from full and I hosed up the shuriken from her grab leap. :negative: Fuckin' got this though and I wish I hadn't bounced off the game so hard because as much as I love Souls there is an element of learning and figuring poo poo out here that I haven't had in those games or really even From's other games, in a long time.

E: Oh. Still, six tries for first phase doesn't seem too bad.

E2: Feel like I've got it down and I'm exclusively dying to butterflies rather than actual mistakes.

E3: Complain on the internet, it solves everything. Final; 19 attempts. Basically every death after I got her moves down was to her delay butterflies that she does on her two wire throw combos and I just had to eventually force myself to remember they were coming. Still extremely satisfying, if a little frustrating because I lost a couple of runs to her AI just continually doing the travel wire rather than the perilous one and I'd lose all progress if it was early enough. Oh and maybe a boss with such a tenuous grasp of its own level geometry shouldn't damage you on model contact. :argh:

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 21, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
After everything clicked for me through countless boss rush sessions, I did a separate replay on console and decided to fight jouzou the drunk on the regular game with all of his cronies up at the start and with the samurai buddy helping out.

Changes the entire fight as you frantically murder the smaller dudes and focus on the shield guys next, and then jouzou himself. By this time samurai buddy is almost dead and it leaves you and the drunk to fight.

Sekiro is good.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Also, lady b-fly is much easier with a couple of attack ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I always thought Lady Butterfly was easy until I fought her as my first boss in a fresh game. Its pretty rough. I can see how she can roadblock people. She just feels idk less powerful if you clear out the castle first. I usually do hirata estate late because its boring.