Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
The links expired again, could somebody send another please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kangxi posted:

The links expired again, could somebody send another please?

nope sorry it was a signed limited edition that will never be printed again, please pay me 500$ on ebay for a used copy -

https://discord.gg/KXrXRD

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reading in bed is bad sleep hygiene anyway. Reading on the bog is just bad.

When's a guy to read? :( (I read on the bus and during breaks which works for me.)

I read a lot better when i'm drinking (red) wine and listening to mellow music, at about 4 pm

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My Kindle voyage just died after nearly 5 years :(

I live near one of the physical Amazon stores so going in tomorrow to see how I feel about the Oasis. I hope I can stand the "buttons only on one side" design since they discontinued the Voyage.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheAardvark posted:

My Kindle voyage just died after nearly 5 years :(

I live near one of the physical Amazon stores so going in tomorrow to see how I feel about the Oasis. I hope I can stand the "buttons only on one side" design since they discontinued the Voyage.

The screen on the Oasis rotates so you can have the buttons on either side.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reading in bed is bad sleep hygiene anyway. Reading on the bog is just bad.

When's a guy to read? :( (I read on the bus and during breaks which works for me.)

On my way from the parking lot to the office building and vice versa (if it's too cold for bare hands or captouch gloves I turn the page on my e-reader by bonking it gently against my nose)
On my way to/from the bathroom, meetings, etc
While waiting for unit tests/package uploads/deployments/etc
During lunch
While doing dishes
While waiting for stuff to boil etc if I'm cooking
Literally any time I'm doing something that requires only one hand and very little attention, like grinding flour, transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer, petting the cat, and so forth

Also in bed, because who needs sleep when I have books

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
i like paper but kindle is fine on airplanes and in public

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

i like paper but kindle is fine on airplanes and in public

I've almost completely abandoned paper books in favour of digital; in particular, being able to lay the book flat on any surface without it flopping closed (a perennial problem with MMPBs), easily hold it one hand (a problem with hardbacks and TPBs), and turn pages with any part of my body (a problem with everything) is a huge advantage even apart from the whole "I can keep a thousand books in my pocket" thing.

I do still prefer hardcopy for reference materials; stuff where I'm frequently seeking rapidly from page to page, looking at large diagrams, etc. But that's not most of my reading.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I like reading on my paperwhite a lot. I've noticed I read considerably faster on it as well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
For large heavy books I'm always on my kindle. In dark areas, kindle. Otherwise I like paper if I can find a book with a font I like. If it's just crappy tiny print and it's formatted weird and I can't find some edition that I like, I go Kindle. My eyes are pretty picky and Kindle remedies that.

For this months book of The Jungle I found maybe 5 editions at the local stores including the B&N Classics etc. I didn't care for print on any of them until I found some old Penguin Classics edition that has a fantastic font, and the layout is perfect. I love it. Its pages are all nice and yellowed and it flips open and stays open with a nice "weight" no matter where you are in the book.

I also like that I can put them in the little libraries when I'm done.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ToxicFrog posted:

I've almost completely abandoned paper books in favour of digital; in particular, being able to lay the book flat on any surface without it flopping closed (a perennial problem with MMPBs), easily hold it one hand (a problem with hardbacks and TPBs), and turn pages with any part of my body (a problem with everything) is a huge advantage even apart from the whole "I can keep a thousand books in my pocket" thing.

I do still prefer hardcopy for reference materials; stuff where I'm frequently seeking rapidly from page to page, looking at large diagrams, etc. But that's not most of my reading.

I was about to ask what other body parts you use to turn pages besides fingers then realized I really don't want to know

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can read any book one-handed because I'm strong.

But also because I open the spine properly before reading so that keeping the book open isn't much of a strain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Kindle for any book without illustrations or annotations. Physical hardback for either of those, still.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
wait isn't skipping forwards and back for annotations way simpler on an ereader?

(e: I've not actually used it in that way myself; all annotated works I've read digitally were manuscripts so those didn't contain internal links yet, but isn't that how it usually works?)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lex Neville posted:

wait isn't skipping forwards and back for annotations way simpler on an ereader?

No.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

How do you read while washing dishes?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

(e: I've not actually used it in that way myself; all annotated works I've read digitally were manuscripts so those didn't contain internal links yet, but isn't that how it usually works?)

It really depends on the book and how the annotations/footnotes are formatted. Some just link you to a separate part of the book, which can lose your spot in the book depending on which ereader/app you're using; on others the annotations pop up in their own window that you can X out of and still be at the same place in the book. I've seen more and more of the latter, but the first still crops up from time to time.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
fair enough, cheers :-)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Enfys posted:

saucily, and damply

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Physical books, always. I've tried Kindle and it's, well, okay, but I read enough stuff on screens as it is.

(Also, I live in an area with three excellent used bookstores nearby, so I almost never buy books new anyway.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

Physical books, always. I've tried Kindle and it's, well, okay, but I read enough stuff on screens as it is.

(Also, I live in an area with three excellent used bookstores nearby, so I almost never buy books new anyway.)

That's part of it for me, I don't have great used/indie bookstores around here, it's pretty much all B&N and a couple of Half Price Books, which occasionally have a gem or two, but are mostly random remaindered crap nobody actually wants.

I've heard tell there's a really good indie crime/mystery bookstore in my area but I've never hunted it down. I do most of my reading on a Kindle, but get 95% of my ebooks through a few library Overdrive accounts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Enfys posted:

E-reader on the counter near the sink, look over and read a paragraph while doing something that can be done entirely by touch and peripheral vision like rinsing off already-clean tableware or filling a pot to soak.

regulargonzalez posted:

I was about to ask what other body parts you use to turn pages besides fingers then realized I really don't want to know

Elbows (if my hands are wet or I'm carrying something) or nose (if I'm outside and wearing gloves), typically. Being able to turn the page by bonking the book gently against my face rather than trying to fumble the pages wearing heavy gloves or mittens is great.

Lex Neville posted:

Usually not. Like, if you mean marginalia you've added yourself, sometimes, in that "skip to next note" is faster than manually flipping through a book you didn't leave bookmarks or sticknotes in, but footnotes are usually a pain in the rear end -- there's no technical reason why they couldn't be rendered at the bottom of the screen or in a popup window, but usually what you get is a tiny link that takes you to a note at the end of the book, at which point you need to find the "return to previous location" button buried in the menus. This makes reading e.g. Discworld pretty painful. Oh, and if you miss the link it either turns the page or opens the dictionary rather than just ignoring it.

In my experience, this isn't a huge issue because most authors don't use footnotes at all, but this is a two-edged sword because I really like a well-done footnote like Pratchett or Cuppy are fond of.

Marginalia added by the author like the dates in I, Claudius usually isn't rendered particularly well either.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can read any book one-handed because I'm strong.

But also because I open the spine properly before reading so that keeping the book open isn't much of a strain.

never heard of that, makes sense. i'm about to read From Hell. it's a big boy could use some proper spinal openings.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kindles were amazing for me. I grew up and went to college in a very rural place, and I got to go from "what can I get from my library?" to being able to buy stuff I heard about online, and it was huge.

I got the Oasis today and after a couple hours my fears about the one handed design are gone, but it no longer fits in my back pants pocket, nor the top of my backpack. :( My voyage fit perfectly and lasted nearly 5 years of accidental butt damage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ToxicFrog posted:

E-reader on the counter near the sink, look over and read a paragraph while doing something that can be done entirely by touch and peripheral vision like rinsing off already-clean tableware or filling a pot to soak.

Elbows (if my hands are wet or I'm carrying something) or nose (if I'm outside and wearing gloves), typically. Being able to turn the page by bonking the book gently against my face rather than trying to fumble the pages wearing heavy gloves or mittens is great.

Usually not. Like, if you mean marginalia you've added yourself, sometimes, in that "skip to next note" is faster than manually flipping through a book you didn't leave bookmarks or sticknotes in, but footnotes are usually a pain in the rear end -- there's no technical reason why they couldn't be rendered at the bottom of the screen or in a popup window, but usually what you get is a tiny link that takes you to a note at the end of the book, at which point you need to find the "return to previous location" button buried in the menus. This makes reading e.g. Discworld pretty painful. Oh, and if you miss the link it either turns the page or opens the dictionary rather than just ignoring it.

In my experience, this isn't a huge issue because most authors don't use footnotes at all, but this is a two-edged sword because I really like a well-done footnote like Pratchett or Cuppy are fond of.

Marginalia added by the author like the dates in I, Claudius usually isn't rendered particularly well either.

This made reading Nabokov’s ‘Pale Fire’ really interesting, because it changed the format of the book significantly and it had the side-effect of adapting to what was most likely a totally unforeseen technical advancement really well.

Apparently the book was used to illustrate the flexibility of html when it was being considered as a standard, if I recall correctly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding format chat, is there not a good audiobook version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I wanted to "read" it this year and I really didn't want my dumb American self to say "Shuuu..Sheeee?" at every proper noun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

This made reading Nabokov’s ‘Pale Fire’ really interesting, because it changed the format of the book significantly and it had the side-effect of adapting to what was most likely a totally unforeseen technical advancement really well.

Apparently the book was used to illustrate the flexibility of html when it was being considered as a standard, if I recall correctly.

EPUB is just HTML wrapped up in a zip and with some metadata glued to the outside; there's a lot more you can do with it than most digital typesetters take advantage of.

Sadly.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

MockingQuantum posted:

That's part of it for me, I don't have great used/indie bookstores around here, it's pretty much all B&N and a couple of Half Price Books, which occasionally have a gem or two, but are mostly random remaindered crap nobody actually wants.

I've heard tell there's a really good indie crime/mystery bookstore in my area but I've never hunted it down. I do most of my reading on a Kindle, but get 95% of my ebooks through a few library Overdrive accounts.

Please tell me that the mystery book store doesn't have a published address and makes you solve clues to find it.

I know this probably isn't the case but I want to believe.

As far as Kindles go, us having a kid convinced my wife to go Kindle after she was pretty resistant to it (I've been exclusively ereading since like 2011). It's pretty great to be able to feed our baby while holding a Kindle. And bonus, the Oasis has an option to disable the touch screen so when the baby flails around she can't even turn the page or change the font size, which happened frequently with my old Voyage!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Selachian posted:

The Kindle is different for me because the only thing you can really do on the non-Fire Kindles is read. It does have a browser on it, but the only thing its any good for is reading wikipedia articles when I want to look up something from a book I'm reading. It's also not backlit so it's not like reading from a normal screen. There's no real chance with my Kindle that I'm gonna get sidetracked on Awful or Discord or whatnot like I would if I were using the kindle app on my phone.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Beginning my plunge into Robert Caro's The Years of Lyndon Johnson series with no regard for my health, safety, or social calendar.

My goal is to read at least one of the books a year but if they're as good as The Power Broker I may just plow straight through at the expense of my fiction reading.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I really want to read fiction and become immersed in a book, but i won't let myself :( Because i have to learn technical things in my free time or life will suck.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

excellent bird guy posted:

I really want to read fiction and become immersed in a book, but i won't let myself :( Because i have to learn technical things in my free time or life will suck.

That does suck, I'm sorry.

Especially since I just found out William Gibson, my favorite fiction writer, has a new book out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/alex_christofi/status/1219564301029138432?s=19

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

on the one hand i agree with all the librarians tweeting how ridiculous the fetishising of “book as an object” is, but on the other that there is also probably the most dumbest loving thing i’ve seen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Those are lovely editions anyway. If they weren't looking to save money they'd be two-parters to begin with.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I say this knowing it's very silly:

I have a strong adverse reaction to ripped books and ripped cardboard. Its a weird texture thing, like how some people can't eat oranges cuz they hate the fruit's flesh. If a front cover falls off of my book, I throw it in the recycling bin. Can't stand it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I say this knowing it's very silly:

I have a strong adverse reaction to ripped books and ripped cardboard. Its a weird texture thing, like how some people can't eat oranges cuz they hate the fruit's flesh. If a front cover falls off of my book, I throw it in the recycling bin. Can't stand it.

I tape it :unsmigghh: (I really should get library tape.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tape it :unsmigghh: (I really should get library tape.)

That's even worse.

Unless it's some hard-to-find book, I'd throw it away. I have hundreds of others on my shelves, I can part with a worn out copy of whatever.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You know what's more portable than a savaged paperback?

Your goddamn phone with the Kindle app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

That's even worse.

Unless it's some hard-to-find book, I'd throw it away. I have hundreds of others on my shelves, I can part with a worn out copy of whatever.

Nuh-uh - I'd rather throw my expired milks away!