Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

From about a week ago:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is bad.

Anyway.

The Dinette Set really brings the room together.

Working Daze needs to just shut up.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix would probably be funnier if I knew who that was.

Cul De Sac puts a spell on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That last panel of Modesty is fantastic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Lottie's mum's map marking finally has its part to play today. It's time to take this mystery to bits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

howe_sam posted:

That last panel of Modesty is fantastic.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac puts a spell on you.

Cul de Sac is sooo good. :kimchi:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Yep, as you might have guessed, it's Bernhard's ex-girlfriend.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Major Crime Squad

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cats lack the buds to taste sweet, so sugar would be utterly pointless from the cat's point of view.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sorry, sorry I'm trying to delete it. I'm not sure why it isn't deleting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Make it Zits Mom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's odd that even though it's still a comic about dustin being lazy the bar is so low that i can reasonably think it's a vaguely okay joke because it's not hostile to him in some insanely passive-aggressive way

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Tiggum posted:

The plot of Cats is very straight-forward and easy to explain. The cats are competing in a talent contest, but the evil cat is cheating by kidnapping the other contestants. There's a lot about it that's weird and hard to explain, but the plot is easy.

When the trailer for the movie came out and everyone crowed about it I was nonplussed. Like, have you ever seen a production of Cats? It looks pretty much exactly like that. I've not seen the movie but as far as the plot goes, well, it's stitched up from a bunch of Eliot poems by Andrew Lloyd Webber:

Of course it doesn't make much sense. Have you ever seen Jesus Christ, Superstar? If you didn't already know the story you'd have no idea what was going on.

Anyhow.

The Persishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1986)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Make it Zits Mom.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hobnob posted:

When the trailer for the movie came out and everyone crowed about it I was nonplussed. Like, have you ever seen a production of Cats? It looks pretty much exactly like that. I've not seen the movie but as far as the plot goes, well, it's stitched up from a bunch of Eliot poems by Andrew Lloyd Webber:

Of course it doesn't make much sense. Have you ever seen Jesus Christ, Superstar? If you didn't already know the story you'd have no idea what was going on.
Are... are you trying to defend Cats?

Because this is phrased like a defense but you're not actually making it sound any better.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Make it Zits Mom.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
January 8th & 9th, 1981

:hmmyes:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

That last panel might be my favorite Mandrake panel ever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kennel posted:

1997 Viivi & Wagner

the pun in this is barely recognisable.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Zereth posted:

Are... are you trying to defend Cats?

Because this is phrased like a defense but you're not actually making it sound any better.

No, not really trying to defend it. I was more that I thought everyone already knew that ALW's stuff (and Cats in particular) tended to the freaking weird, so some of the reaction I saw to the movie surprised me. Just a bad assumption on my part.

That said, if you have the ability to see a decent production of Cats (I saw the Broadway tour quite recently), it's worth watching for the utterly barmy spectacle of the thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hobnob posted:

No, not really trying to defend it. I was more that I thought everyone already knew that ALW's stuff (and Cats in particular) tended to the freaking weird, so some of the reaction I saw to the movie surprised me. Just a bad assumption on my part.

That said, if you have the ability to see a decent production of Cats (I saw the Broadway tour quite recently), it's worth watching for the utterly barmy spectacle of the thing.
I don't think most people are familiar with particular details of musicals, no.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hobnob posted:

I haven't seen any version of Cats but my impression is that a good movie adaption of it would just lean into how weird it all is. You can't normalize it! They're horny cats singing to earn the right to die! Just roll with it!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm afraid we don't have Ginger Ale

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/21/00

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

i dont like looking at the Get Fuzzy dog's front sac, there i said it

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 9/1/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/10/46

Mopsy 8/20/42

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1937)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghostlight posted:

the pun in this is barely recognisable.

That great, because I have no idea what the original pun was supposed to be (other than "pig misunderstands a word").

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kennel posted:

That great, because I have no idea what the original pun was supposed to be (other than "pig misunderstands a word").
"Skol" is a Swedish/Norwegian toast so he thinks the guy is telling him he has a drinking problem.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is art.

Good Listener posted:

I saw some of the book collections in the Kids books section of Target over the weekend and it made me happy. Dana seems like good people and I hope kids like the strip too.
I know at least one 8-year-old girl that does.

F Minus

Mark Trail

For some reason I'm thinking of smurfs.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I wonder if they wouldn't let him use a more current show.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is FLYING SNAKES!? WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE FLYING SNAKES??

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Rex Morgan burn doctor

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set plays the odds.

Working Daze is apples and oranges.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is probably not one where you'd want to check the comments.

Cul De Sac is a January miracle!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I liked Cats. I'm not saying it's a good movie, but it won me over. I enjoyed my time at the movie theater. And as was mentioned earlier, it's a weird play. The movie was always going to be weird. Trying to make Cats a normal movie for a normal afternoon out was never going to work. They had to go balls to the wall bonkers, and I'm glad they did.

"Hey, Gunt, how you doing? How's Bets? I saw you guys goofing around on Insta, you seem to have a lot of fun together. You look super close. Is it getting serious?"

OH NO SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!!

And yeah, none of that straight out asks, "You guys having sex," but depending on how he's been answering the previous questions, you could pivot into it from there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tfw you're forced to agree with loving gunther of all people

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit SPace Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens That panel where she is drinking is so loving gross.

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I do not get this at all but I hate in based on pure mammal instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens That panel where she is drinking is so loving gross.

Wait hang on are the 'people' in this world descended from gremlins?