Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

Heads up for anyone interested, the limited release run is tomorrow on January 22nd, so check your local listings to see if there's a showing near you. My theater is one night only.

It's one night only over at the artsy theater by me that had the limited showing of One Cut of the Dead. As much as I want to see it on the big screen, I'll have to wait for VOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Is the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep a good first timer's introduction to the movie?

I'm interested in the movie but I will be real, 3 hours is a tall order for me and I don't want to sit through another Watchmen- Ultimate Cut.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just finished the book and am pretty interested in the adaptation because I heard there’s a couple of big differences between the two.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I just finished the book and am pretty interested in the adaptation because I heard there’s a couple of big differences between the two.

The purpose of The Overlook is waaayyyyyy different and it becomes more if a sequel to the movie than the book in the movie once they go there.

and ends like The Shining novel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I sorta like how while in Kubrick's The Shining almost nothing is explained and aside from one moment nothing is explicitly supernatural in Doctor Sleep: The Movie everything is explained so much and presented so casually that it feels more like a fantasy movie than a horror film.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It definitely felt like horror fantasy. I liked the theatrical well enough to maybe check out the DC. I just wish Flanagan had some style.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Color Out of Space is easily the best looking best acted Lovecraft film ever made and if we get a trilogy that would be amazing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that kinda annoys me about it is in the story the color can't be described because it's so goddamn alien, but in the movie it's just purple.

Haven't seen the movie yet though, just the previews.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only thing that kinda annoys me about it is in the story the color can't be described because it's so goddamn alien, but in the movie it's just purple.

You gotta make compromises when adapting Lovecraft because he describes things you can't film.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also it's really more of a pink/mauve. Mandy used the same color to good effect. tCOoS was just very lush, very pretty, which contrasted well with the horrible things that were happening.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm 99% in agreement but this was a case where he was legitimately distracting from source material I was interested in.

It's a great Cage performance but I wonder if the movie would've had more impact with a more nuanced lead.

I thought Cage getting more Cagey as the film went on worked well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea but I figured it'd be some sort of rainbow iridescent constantly changing color, not just WAKANDA PURPLE everywhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

What, you want them to invent new colours?

It would actually be possible for Stanley to show us "chimerical colours" by fatiguing the viewer's eyes with a 30 second monochrome shot, but then we'd be Lovecraftian cultists.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hope Stanley shoots a movie based on a former Coldplay hit starring an Elvis impersonator. Call it "The King in, 'Yellow'"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

What, you want them to invent new colours?

It would actually be possible for Stanley to show us "chimerical colours" by fatiguing the viewer's eyes with a 30 second monochrome shot, but then we'd be Lovecraftian cultists.

Wait, you aren't?

But yea, as I mentioned, chromed out ever shifting iridescent rainbow colors or something would work, at least that's how I always pictured it in my head.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wait, you aren't?

But yea, as I mentioned, chromed out ever shifting iridescent rainbow colors or something would work, at least that's how I always pictured it in my head.

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings, where in the book Saruman's heel turn is accompanied by him calling himself 'Saruman the Colourful' or some such and donning a cloak coloured like you describe.

We were robbed of Rainbow Christopher Lee, y'all.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

I went to a Q&A for the movie and Stanley said the idea was not that it was actually purple, but that the color is at the end of human perception, like it's after ultraviolet and infrared. In the movie the characters talk about how the color is somewhere beyond purple (as in, you the audience aren't able to see everything the characters are seeing).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also it's really more of a pink/mauve. Mandy used the same color to good effect. tCOoS was just very lush, very pretty, which contrasted well with the horrible things that were happening.

Yea but I figured it'd be some sort of rainbow iridescent constantly changing color, not just WAKANDA PURPLE everywhere.

The 2012 film handled this with the film being in black and white, except for the Color being a shifting purple/pink that did feel a bit off on the eyeballs after being so used to the black and white. I did enjoy this one and it's a free streamer on Prime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings, where in the book Saruman's heel turn is accompanied by him calling himself 'Saruman the Colourful' or some such and donning a cloak coloured like you describe.

We were robbed of Rainbow Christopher Lee, y'all.

Saruman of Many Colours is the name he takes, and he doesn't change his cloak - Gandalf just realises that Saruman’s robe is not white, but all colours shimmering. Which is a neat nod to Saruman’s turn towards science, because white light is a combination of all colours.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Color Out of Space is easily the best looking best acted Lovecraft film ever made and if we get a trilogy that would be amazing.

Real talk, though: Have you seen Stuart Gordon's From Beyond?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I always pictured it as like a pale grey/green because I was like 17 the last time I read it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
If anyone can somehow answer this I’ll Venmo them 10 dollars.

There was a movie I saw when I was a kid (early 90s) and it's something like a teenaged dude becomes a zombie but mostly keeps his mind. The only scene I remember is another student tries to kill him with an axe but he hits his own head when he pulls back and dies. And then I think the zombie dude bends down out of frame and eats him a little bit. That's literally the only thing I remember about it.

Anyone somehow know what it’s called?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Null of Undefined posted:

If anyone can somehow answer this I’ll Venmo them 10 dollars.

There was a movie I saw when I was a kid (early 90s) and it's something like a teenaged dude becomes a zombie but mostly keeps his mind. The only scene I remember is another student tries to kill him with an axe but he hits his own head when he pulls back and dies. And then I think the zombie dude bends down out of frame and eats him a little bit. That's literally the only thing I remember about it.

Anyone somehow know what it’s called?

My Boyfriend's Back, directed by Bob Balaban.

Fun Fact: The bully that gets the axe in the head is a young Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 22, 2020

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Franchescanado posted:

My Boyfriend's Back, directed by Bob Balaban.

Fun Fact: The bully that gets the axe in the head is a young Philip Seymour Hoffman.

You’re right! Awesome! PM me your Venmo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Null of Undefined posted:

You’re right! Awesome! PM me your Venmo

Nah, don't worry about it. Just happy to help. If you wanna spend money, donate $10 to Australian Fire Relief, RAINN or a local animal shelter or other cause you believe in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

As Fran pointed out, this is some very very high praise. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

As Fran pointed out, this is some very very high praise. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie.

Yeah, I'm seeing it tonight and trying to go in with a neutral mindset so as not to be disappointed. "Best Lovecraft Adaptation" is high praise and a tall order to fulfill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing it tonight and trying to go in with a neutral mindset so as not to be disappointed. "Best Lovecraft Adaptation" is high praise and a tall order to fulfill.

Have you all forgotten about a little film called Re-Animator?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Not at all, it's easily the 2nd best after From Beyond. ;)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

"Best looking, best acted" they said, not "best adaptation".

I agree with best looking and best acted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

"Best looking, best acted" they said, not "best adaptation".

I agree with best looking and best acted.

Still gonna have to be extremely good to top From Beyond. From Beyond is really good looking and has two excellent lead performances.

In fact, From Beyond probably would be disqualified from a "best adaptation" award just because it's barely an adaptation at all.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's real good but not as good as From Beyond.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Still gonna have to be extremely good to top From Beyond. From Beyond is really good looking and has two excellent lead performances.

In fact, From Beyond probably would be disqualified from a "best adaptation" award just because it's barely an adaptation at all.

Yeah. The whole first scene of the film is the entirety of the short story, give or take a screaming old lady and a mini-poodle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever make an adaption of the one where the guy turned out to be dead cause his ac broke and he melted? Or the guy with the violin from space?

Oh, or that one where the family curse turned out to be some old guy just straight up murdering people instead of ghosts and poo poo?

I loved those stories. The only one better was the "OH NO MY GREAT GRANPA hosed AN APE, I MUST KILL MYSELF" but I don't really see that being made into an adaption.

Admittedly it's been a while since I read any of them though so the deets might be wrong a bit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Or the guy with the violin from space?

Like, a good one? Yes.

Lovecraft is public domain and well-known and leaves a lot of wiggle room with creativity despite budget, so he's very popular for film students and young filmmakers to make adaptations. So pretty much every story has multiple adaptations of varying quality. They're not all good, but there are some excellent ones.

This is a stop-motion animated adaptation of From Beyond that I think is pretty neat.

I really like Pickman's Model, and sadly that doesn't have any good adaptations that I've seen. There are some that get close to being good, but are weighed down too much by their flaws.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Not at all, it's easily the 2nd best after From Beyond. ;)

Oh, so sorry, but the answer we are looking for is Bride of Re-Animator.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh, so sorry, but the answer we are looking for is Bride of Re-Animator.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Burned myself on that hot take!

(edit: Never seen it. :ohdear:)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not really even looking for Best Lovecraft Ever, I'll be perfectly happy with Color Out of Space if it's on the same level as The Resurrected or Necronomicon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I loved those stories. The only one better was the "OH NO MY GREAT GRANPA hosed AN APE, I MUST KILL MYSELF" but I don't really see that being made into an adaption.

Especially since it's just a really thinly veiled allegory for the horrors of race mixing.

Same for Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Like, a good one? Yes.

Lovecraft is public domain and well-known and leaves a lot of wiggle room with creativity despite budget, so he's very popular for film students and young filmmakers to make adaptations. So pretty much every story has multiple adaptations of varying quality. They're not all good, but there are some excellent ones.

This is a stop-motion animated adaptation of From Beyond that I think is pretty neat.

I really like Pickman's Model, and sadly that doesn't have any good adaptations that I've seen. There are some that get close to being good, but are weighed down too much by their flaws.

I recently discovered that the BBC has a Podcast, re-imagining some Lovecraft. I listened to Whisperer in Darkness first because I'm a dummy, so now I'm going back to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Basically they re-imagined it as an investigative podcast, set in modern England, and I though Whisperer was pretty good for drives home. My only complaint was that I didn't feel like it stuck the landing on the last episode, but that can be said of a lot of Lovecraft IMHO. There was a hint that the 3rd series would be based on The Shadow over Innsmouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I really want a short adaptation of The Music of Erich Zann

That was a cool story