Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Saint Drogo posted:

there's no way this is can be read as a point in TPM's favour. we're in straight Bizzaro territory where bad is good and good is bad.

The point is that someone had to push the boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Nah, I don’t think the movies with Jar Jar, General Grievous, and “I hate sand!:qq:” are good, and I am right to do so.

All those things are good, so actually you are wrong.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Roth posted:

General Grievous rules

He doesn’t. He’s stupid. The things you loved as a kid were bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zoran posted:

Lucas wanted to see if he could make an entire movie out of CGI so he wouldn't need to rise out of bed while filmmaking

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm treating this as a low effort "fight about the prequels" thread, but please don't bring up Cine D.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
imagine being this guy

which one of you prequel lovers is this

i demand answers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Majorian posted:

He doesn’t. He’s stupid. The things you loved as a kid were bad.

The Gennedy cartoon has given me an eternal love for him.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Grievous is Snidely Whiplash in space and that rules

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

People who think the p[requels are bad just watched the red letter media videos and cant think for themselves, sorry.

I thought this at first too but it turns out a bunch of them are old Gen Xers and EU readers which was the more embarrassing explanation by far haha

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Roth posted:

The Gennedy cartoon has given me an eternal love for him.

how a robot gunna have a chest cold though

i'm no scientist but

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the Tartakovsky episode where he was basically the predator ruled

zer0spunk posted:

i'm no scientist but

He downloaded....a virus

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

Not really.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

zer0spunk posted:

i'm no scientist but

I love how they realized last second that they never gave him a cough, so they just put in a scene where Mace shows up and crushes his chest as he's leaving Coruscant

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zoux posted:

Yeah the Tartakovsky episode where he was basically the predator ruled

He downloaded....a virus

oh ok, thanks i hate it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

i'm no scientist but

It's funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the worst casting in the prequels? Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen seem obvious but I'm gonna go with SLJ

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

holy poo poo there's a lot of random star wars characters beating the poo poo out of jar jar fan art

what the

Jar Jar is the character who's belittled and overlooked by the Jedi and the Naboo, seen only as a burden to be barely tolerated, but then he lays out the obvious truth to Amidala that Gungans could be natural allies if only she and her people could get over their prejudices, and he becomes a hero in his own right.

So I guess it's fitting that fans agree with Obi-Wan's first impression and just hate him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's funny.

Do you also find late-era Sandler movies funny?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

Jar Jar is the character who's belittled and overlooked by the Jedi and the Naboo, seen only as a burden to be barely tolerated, but then he lays out the obvious truth to Amidala that Gungans could be natural allies if only she and her people could get over their prejudices, and he becomes a hero in his own right.

So I guess it's fitting that fans agree with Obi-Wan's first impression and just hate him.

Wow what a shame George didn’t think to put even an inkling of this dignity and character development in the film and instead made him racist alien Jerry Lewis.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Do you also find late-era Sandler movies funny?

I don't think you understand why I think it's funny.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

zoux posted:

What's the worst casting in the prequels? Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen seem obvious but I'm gonna go with SLJ

I kinda like Christensen portraying Anakin as a whiny bitch of a teenager, which makes sense to me with Vader casually murdering officers over slight gently caress ups.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zoux posted:

kiera knightley

or i guess for her "you were in that?" is probably a good thing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think you understand why I think it's funny.

I definitely understand why it’s not.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I definitely understand why it’s not.

Why don't you think it's funny that a robot has a cold and is coughing all the time?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why don't you think it's funny that a robot has a cold and is coughing all the time?

Because it’s tonally dissonant with the rest of the movie, for starters.

E: also it’s a stupid idea on the face of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I kinda like Christensen portraying Anakin as a whiny bitch of a teenager, which makes sense to me with Vader casually murdering officers over slight gently caress ups.

Well I think whiny bitch teen anakin is one of the worst decisions in the prequels so that’s where I’m approaching it from

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Majorian posted:

E: also it’s a stupid idea

applies to 90% of the pt, checks out

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

What's the worst casting in the prequels?

Lucas as director.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Haha if you clone him he's Booba Fett

Or Boba Feett

Booba Feett

I looked it up and it turns out it's Booba Fett

boobs

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Lucas as director.

It’s this, yeah.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

TPM is full of people making bad judgments based on superficialities

Qui-Gon thinks the Neimoidians won’t stand up to him because of his racial prejudices
Jar Jar is dismissed as useless
Qui-Gon thinks he can just cheat the seedy junk dealer with mind control
the Jedi see Anakin's big Force number and not the person behind it
No one sees through Palpatine's kindly old man routine
Maul looks like the devil incarnate but he's really just a particularly violent minion

In the end they arrest the Viceroy, who they think was a Fu Manchu evil mastermind type. In actuality he's just a dumb libertarian who got in way over his head, while the real villain gets everything he wants and then throws himself a parade

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zoran posted:

while the real villain gets everything he wants and then throws himself a parade

god palpatine loving rules

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZUDhBOLTE

saddest moments of the pt- but with a laugh track! needs more love

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Zoran posted:

the real villain gets everything he wants and then throws himself a parade

i never get tired of this line

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway glad to see that we all agree: the prequels are trash

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

TPM is full of people making bad judgments based on superficialities

Qui-Gon thinks the Neimoidians won’t stand up to him because of his racial prejudices
Jar Jar is dismissed as useless
Qui-Gon thinks he can just cheat the seedy junk dealer with mind control
the Jedi see Anakin's big Force number and not the person behind it
No one sees through Palpatine's kindly old man routine
Maul looks like the devil incarnate but he's really just a particularly violent minion

In the end they arrest the Viceroy, who they think was a Fu Manchu evil mastermind type. In actuality he's just a dumb libertarian who got in way over his head, while the real villain gets everything he wants and then throws himself a parade

There's an awful lot of projection going on in this post. Most of this isn't in the text or even in the subtext my dude.

Also "Force numbers" in general was such a bad idea that it completely eclipses everything that did work in the prequels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the olden times we called that fanwanking

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god palpatine loving rules

Right? I wish Lucas hadn't made the dumb decision to make his hosed-up face the result of Mace Windu reflecting his force lightning.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zoux posted:

Anyway glad to see that we all agree: the prequels are trash

there's a lot of people who actually really like them

and will debate you at great length...and i'm sure are incoming in 3, 2,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zoran posted:

that scene not looking like rear end would have pushed them a hell of a lot further. there's just nothing admirable about making your film look lovely, whether it's out of bravery (lmao) or laziness (yes).

obscuring things in shadow/rain, shooting them selectively and restricting what the audience sees aren't tricks, they're applying the same care to your CGI as you do to the rest of your film.