Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've not seen the brakes mentioned anywhere and I don't think I've seen those calipers so I have a feeling the brake upgrade isn't available on the F31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Paul Walker M3 collection rolled across Barrett Jackson auctions last night, the results were impressive. Should be fun watching every M3 listed for sale add 20-50k to their asking price for the next six months and using this as justification.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2005 m3 manual 170k miles salvage title I know what I got

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Residency Evil posted:

2005 m3 manual 170k miles salvage title I know what I got

Run like new before I previous owner did a head-on with a semi on a highway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
kinda strange to have 5 of the exact same model of car but :ok:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah if it was any random goon I’d assume 4 were parts cars

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
He did have a taste for good cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7gwVQRuvs&t=22s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

to the wagon guy on the last page, i once owned a wagon C5 A6 (also the sedan.) if i was after a manual wagon in the i-dont-give-a-poo poo-if-its-constantly-broken category, i'd buy that in a heartbeat. i loved that car

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

kinda strange to have 5 of the exact same model of car but :ok:

The story I've heard is that he bought them as an investment. Seems to have been a good one.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

fknlo posted:

The story I've heard is that he bought them as an investment. Seems to have been a good one.

I read another story that said he was looking to build a race team with the cars but I really doubt that's what was happening.

e: Girlfriend got me a pretty rad birthday present. Let the tool collecting begin.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 19, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Diametunim posted:

e: Girlfriend got me a pretty rad birthday present. Let the tool collecting begin.

She wants you to have perfect timing, how sweet.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Diametunim posted:

hell yeah don't :sever:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fknlo posted:

He'll never be the head of a major car investment corporation though

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Went and test drove an E91 today (this one 2011 328i Touring and I forgot how sluggish the auto trans is on this generation to respond to throttle inputs. I remember noting that with a 328 service loaner I had years ago and seeing people complain about it online but man it's annoying. This particular car has 107k miles on it and no reverse camera or Bluetooth and felt honestly not that much better to drive than the '12 Acura TSX wagon I also drove today. Probably gonna give the E91 a skip.

I also drove a really nice E46 Wagon 2003 325 Touring which was in immaculate shape on the outside. Interior is a little beat but the leather is great and it somehow only had 73k miles on it. The guy selling it runs a shop where he just repairs nice older BMWs and flips them so he said he did the thermostat, expansion tank, water pump and fixed an oil leak, did belts and hoses and a ton of other stuff too. I've only ever driven one other E46 but this one has a fairly significant dead zone in the steering on center - is that normal? The car was awesome but 10k+ for a 17 yro car is a tough pill to swallow even in as nice a shape as this one is. Plus it's like super marginal for being able to fit everything in it I need to.

The Acura I drove was actually super tempting. Other than a fair amount of road noise it's paddle shifters were super responsive and it had plenty of power and felt fine in corners. Had a reverse camera and factory xenons too.

I also redrove the VW Sportwagen 1.8S with the DSG and it felt alright. Seating position is too high tho and I feel like I might need lower frame rails to be comfortable. They offered it to me for like 21k which is pretty dang tempting for a new car too, love the LED tail lights and the grey color was pretty slick

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

I also redrove the VW Sportwagen 1.8S with the DSG and it felt alright. Seating position is too high tho and I feel like I might need lower frame rails to be comfortable. They offered it to me for like 21k which is pretty dang tempting for a new car too, love the LED tail lights and the grey color was pretty slick

I assume you used the little lever to bottom them out? The Golf does have a somewhat high seating position though. I never really noticed it until I got the M3. I'm not tall so it doesn't really matter.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I bottomed the seat out and it was usable and all but still not great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the higher trim levels with full power seats might adjust more

the seating position on the alltrack is actually lower than on the focus ST, it was fuckin weird

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Sweet christ, that was gone in April and I still have PTSD about it. The motor is beautiful, but needy. The rest of the car was a basket case, and it wasn't just mine, it seems endemic in the entire E6x line, and the wagons have some extra gotchas.

I drove an e60 535xi from 75,000 to 125,000 miles. Best car I've ever owned. Only thing that ever broke on it until I drove over a curb was an o2 sensor and the TPMS. Got the fuel pump replaced under warranty. That curb hosed it up good though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Carplay is sooooo good. I've had to completely upend my digital life to do it though.

I work for an apple exclusive shop so not really I had Beats and a MBP but still

I have not had an iPhone in a goddamn decade. Weird to think about it like that.

Still no reason BMW shouldn't support Android auto though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Android Auto is coming to the 2020 models, iirc.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Alarbus posted:

Android Auto is coming to the 2020 models, iirc.

Everything with iDrive 6, yes. All f87s, to my knowledge, including my 2020 MY won't get the upgrade.

If it does, well, I guess that'll be great in 3 years when I upgrade this phone.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Jesus this thread is disappoint sometimes, am I really seeing Passat recommendations here? The E39 is probably the most reliable BMW platform, an E39 525i is basically the most trouble-free BMW ownership experience possible. It also happens that they are fantastic. Do it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Big Taint posted:

Jesus this thread is disappoint sometimes, am I really seeing Passat recommendations here? The E39 is probably the most reliable BMW platform, an E39 525i is basically the most trouble-free BMW ownership experience possible. It also happens that they are fantastic. Do it.

I'm sorry but this is delusional - the newest e39s rolled off the assembly line nearly 16 years ago and let's be honest, they're not and never were Camrys.

While they might be a known quantity, a 100-200k mile car is always going to need a lot of TLC and invariably need a lot of maintenance compared to most cars newer than an e39 and also compared to reliable contemporaries of the same era from Toyota etc. I'll allow you a Passat is a terrible idea.

Nevertheless that maintenance, while sometimes preventative and sometimes remediating a failure, makes it neither reliable in the sense that you can drive it for a good long while without unscheduled maintenance, nor good for a daily driver as a work car. I assure you this isn't crazy talk.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Big Taint posted:

"probably the most reliable BMW platform"

i mean - does that say much?

i drove an e30 for 10 years and the key to my success was that i had a couple of them so when it was inevitably broken or needing work i would have another one to drive

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

"probably the most reliable BMW platform"

i mean - does that say much?

i drove an e30 for 10 years and the key to my success was that i had a couple of them so when it was inevitably broken or needing work i would have another one to drive

No, it doesn’t, but what BMW, other than a brand new one under warranty, is likely to cost less to run than an E39? Or be less problematic? I stand by my statement.

You still need a second car though that’s just BMWs.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

The F30. Aside from the N20 timing chain issue, they’re the most reliable 3 series and maybe (I’m not ultimate enough a driver to say) the most reliable BMW.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Maybe, but most of those are still in warranty? And it’s a worse car. Plus is a 20 year old F30 going to hold up as well as a 20 year old E39 has?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Big Taint posted:

No, it doesn’t, but what BMW, other than a brand new one under warranty, is likely to cost less to run than an E39? Or be less problematic? I stand by my statement.

You still need a second car though that’s just BMWs.

an e30, or two

:getin:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Big Taint posted:

Maybe, but most of those are still in warranty? And it’s a worse car. Plus is a 20 year old F30 going to hold up as well as a 20 year old E39 has?

A bunch of f30's have been out of warranty for years now. This year marks a couple years of f8x cars out of warranty too.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

an e30, or two

:getin:

Look at this fuckin rich guy over here

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hey the question was "less cost to run, less problematic", not how much it costs to get a good one in 2020!

mine were all less than $5k... 10 years ago

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The B series engines have been in use with MINIs since early 2014 and BMWs since late 2015 and so far seem to be rock solid. The days of timing chain gremlins seems to be long gone.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I just test drove a 2013 S212 MB E350 wagon and really liked it also so yea I'm still out here being dumb as hell about my future work car stuck in traffic mobile

I would very much love to find a nice condition E39 wagon but there just don't seem to be any. It's like they've all vanished - I'm finding an easier time of finding a nice E34 wagon for whatever reason.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i feel like all the truly nice survivor wagons are basically BaT fodder for rich guys now

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

flightless greeb posted:

I just test drove a 2013 S212 MB E350 wagon and really liked it also so yea I'm still out here being dumb as hell about my future work car stuck in traffic mobile

I would very much love to find a nice condition E39 wagon but there just don't seem to be any. It's like they've all vanished - I'm finding an easier time of finding a nice E34 wagon for whatever reason.

Let us know what you buy. You seem to be looking for the same thing I am/will be soon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

w212 wagons are good n stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv93KA9DZng

Tons of space, ride nicely, decently reliable. A E350 is a nice ride.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah it was super smooth! Of course car insurance is as much as a 2016 F31 wagon and it's also priced super high compared to its competitors. Right now the most "economical" choice is this 2003 BMW 325i Touring (lol) and then next up is probably the 2012 TSX Wagon or the 2011 CTS Sport Wagon which I haven't had a chance to drive yet. The BMW should be reliable since it's just had a ton of maintenance work put into it but the Acura would probably be the most stress free car and it drives pretty dang nice for a FWD.

I love the Benz but I don't think I could afford to keep it on the road considering finding one in my price range means its either older or higher mileage than its competitors. Plus it has goofy poo poo like rear air suspension and electric seat bolsters that squeeze you in turns which just seem like the type of things that are aching to break. According to this http://www.mercedesmedic.com/overview-w212-e-class-reliability-common-problems/ they're pretty reliable with the V6 though, brief forums research seems to support that idea.

Meanwhile I'd totally discounted the E91 and then someone throws up this really nice one with only 50k miles on it for like 12 grand https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/mountain-view-2011-bmw-328xi-wagon-awd/7060527805.html why is this so hard!!!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think 80% of US BMW wagons are bought out here in the Bay Area, they are all over.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The VW salesman who took me on the test drive of the Golf Sportwagen said he complained to corporate when he heard they were discontinuing that model, he was like 'but they sell great in this region!' and his corporate rep was like 'yeah maybe in YOUR region' so I guess we just love wagons here!!

I definitely see a good number of BMW wagons on the road and VW Sportwagens too. I think I've only seen one TSX Wagon though and never a Buick TourX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
What about the F34, the gt? You can get them in a 335, and they're polarizing enough that they didn't retain a huge resale value.

My 2015 335 just had the radiator replaced under cpo. They said it leaked, but didn't say the root cause. $50 for a new radiator and fresh coolant is a deal though!