Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing loved hamming it up in goofy movies. It was really only Alec Guinness who thought it was a bit beneath him, so if you're gonna feel sorry for anyone I guess it's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

*Sir Christopher Lee dons his leather cape and prepares himself to pretend to fight a tiny green goblin represented by a tennis ball on a stick; he picks up his script for the first time and his eyes are drawn to the name Count Dooku*

“I’ve been duped!!”

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I didn't enjoy the prequels but it is kind of weird to see the bad faith criticism they get. Like a whole page of posts in this thread alone about how it's bad that the clones in the Clone Wars fought for the Republic. That's something that made you hate these movies?! Are you kidding me?

i guess i can see how you'd get the impression, its like the korean war and stuff

the part that really confuses me is that anyone thinks stormtroopers are cooler than clones. the guys that are infamous for having bad aim and lose to ewoks are cooler than the guys who gently caress up everyone and win every fight wtf

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mooey Cow posted:

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing loved hamming it up in goofy movies. It was really only Alec Guinness who thought it was a bit beneath him, so if you're gonna feel sorry for anyone I guess it's him.

Imagine being such a stick in the mud.
Cushing and Lee had the right idea imo

Edit: the droids are the best though^ clones are tryhards while droids build fun spider tanks and matrix-esque insectoid octopus monsters with 50s looking laser beam weapons

And their fighter planes walk around. Imagine a f14 jet walking on its wingtips and swiveling it’s cockpit around would be metal as hell. That’s a vulture droid.

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2020

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

Imagine being such a stick in the mud.
Cushing and Lee had the right idea imo

:hai:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Hello there!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean I'm pretty confidant that Christopher Lee knew exactly what he was signing up for when he was asked to play a space dracula and sword fight a muppet. It's really only Star Wars fans that think any part of it has ever been high art, Alec Guinness had been trying to talk children out of being SW fanatics since the late 70s for all the good it did. I doubt Lee was like "if only I had been asked to be in the good childrens space movies :smith:"

I think he was happy to get paid a shitton of money right on the tail of getting paid a shitton of LOTR money. Doesn't mean his character's name wasn't unusually stupid, even by Star Wars standards.

cuntman.net posted:

i guess i can see how you'd get the impression, its like the korean war and stuff

the part that really confuses me is that anyone thinks stormtroopers are cooler than clones. the guys that are infamous for having bad aim and lose to ewoks are cooler than the guys who gently caress up everyone and win every fight wtf

I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think the stormtroopers are cooler than anything. They absolutely suck. The problem is that the clone troopers, at least in the movies, somehow managed to tie with the stormtroopers in terms of lameness. That shouldn't have have been possible.

Mooey Cow posted:

They did at least three Dracula movies together; Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula), Dracula AD 1972, and Satanic Rites of Dracula.

In one of these Dracula dies by walking into a bush. They are extremely good.

I had no idea! How fun, I'll have to check the other two out. The one I'm a fan of is "The Horror of Dracula."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Majorian posted:

I think he was happy to get paid a shitton of money right on the tail of getting paid a shitton of LOTR money. Doesn't mean his character's name wasn't unusually stupid, even by Star Wars standards.

I'm sure people were joking but I was mostly pushing back on the idea that the stupid character name was insulting to him and not just part of the silly fun that he signed up for

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My least favorite thing about the prequels is how interconnected it made the character's. loving Anakin Skywalker made C3PO and he was a witness at Anakins wedding? Why are we seeing Boba Fett as a little kid? He was a minor nothing character in the OT. Yoda a Chewie? Totally met back in the day and they were friends!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm sure people were joking but I was mostly pushing back on the idea that the stupid character name was insulting to him and not just part of the silly fun that he signed up for

I might have been joking a bit myself; I did call it "elder abuse" after all.:wink:

Agronox posted:

I wouldn't complain, he was Baron Shitballs in an earlier draft of the script.

Please don't doxx my baptismal name.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Boba Fett is a minor nothing character in the prequels too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sponges posted:

My least favorite thing about the prequels is how interconnected it made the character's. loving Anakin Skywalker made C3PO and he was a witness at Anakins wedding? Why are we seeing Boba Fett as a little kid? He was a minor nothing character in the OT. Yoda a Chewie? Totally met back in the day and they were friends!

It’s fine you do t like it

Here are two explanations I can think of
1. It’s better in movies to have a smaller number of characters so as to not confuse the audiences. So instead of a whole new droid that Anakin built why not make it c3po who is already established etc
2. Recurring and linked characters is part of the genres from which Star Wars is derived - especially the old sci fi series like Flash Gordon etc

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Because it's weird how neither of the droids go "Skywalker? heyyyyy wait a minute..."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CainFortea posted:

Because it's weird how neither of the droids go "Skywalker? heyyyyy wait a minute..."

There is a throwaway line in RotS at the end that they're going to wipe 3P0's memory.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never though Star Wars was art, it's always been a pop fantasy franchise with timeless pop fantasy themes. A lot of "theme noticers" seem to think it's laundering very valuable and complex concepts to the peasants with its extremely sophisticated film making though, which is funny.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is a throwaway line in RotS at the end that they're going to wipe 3P0's memory.

It was implied in ANH that droid memory wipes were a regular thing anyways.

Still dumb though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Then they aren't the same droids. They may have the same parts, but that's not 3po and r2

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
R2D2 remembers everything just fine, and he may well say "wait, Skywalker?" in beep language. On the other hand, what's he gonna say? What's in it for him?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

sponges posted:

The Boba Fett thing was that he wanted to throw the fans a bone and show that their favorite character was totally important, after they hated so much on Jar-Jar. Which I think was unnecessary and it would have been cool to see Jar-Jar grow as a character, but we can all imagine the outrage if he had made another Jar-Jar movie back then. Plus Jango is way cooler than Boba Fett anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sponges posted:

I like the prequels but you're right, that was really stupid.

In conclusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmyuweolqY&t=1610s

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah that Jango v. Obi Wan fight was pretty dope

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sponges posted:

It's cool how in ANH Han Solo is "I've never seen the Force, it's some bullshit imo" and then Chewie is immediately like, hey man I'm 200 years old and I've told you multiple times about how I literally hung out with the top Jedi general in the clone wars and saw Jedis use the force like crazy all the time but for some reason you won't believe me, why won't you believe me Han you're my best friend

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Finally a good thread for good movies on this boring forum! Y'all warm my heart, much love

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway I've carefully considered the arguments presented by both sides and have come to this impartial conclusion; The prequels are trash

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

It’s fine you do t like it

Here are two explanations I can think of
1. It’s better in movies to have a smaller number of characters so as to not confuse the audiences. So instead of a whole new droid that Anakin built why not make it c3po who is already established etc

C3PO doesn't add anything to the prequels though. Just leave him out of them, instead of giving him a really stupid origin.

e: or if you need to have him, just have him, I dunno, show up - exactly as R2 does.

"Hi, I'm C3PO! I'm a protocol droid who's been assigned to you. Nice to meet you!"

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's not the force abilities that Han doesn't believe in, it's the God stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

C3PO doesn't add anything to the prequels though. Just leave him out of them, instead of giving him a really stupid origin.

Anakin making a droid is fine. Why not be c3po? It doesn’t detract imho

You are probably right . Who knows

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Then they aren't the same droids. They may have the same parts, but that's not 3po and r2

Ah the Droid of Thesus enigma

euphronius posted:

Anakin making a droid is fine. Why not be c3po? It doesn’t detract imho

You are probably right . Who knows

He is right, it's dumb as poo poo. It is funny to imagine Vader and Boba sitting in that dining room on bespin killing time until Han and Leia come in, and he's like "Hey, did you see that gold protocol droid they had with them" and Boba's like "yeah" and Vader's like "I built that droid like 40 years ago when I was 10" and Boba's like "bullshit" and Vader says "No poo poo, I really did, isn't that crazy how small the galaxy is sometimes"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's hugely hosed up that it's so easy to create artificial life in Star Wars Land that child slaves can do it on a whim and their masters just don't give a poo poo

Like three blocks down the street Watto's friend Hatto's slave is making his fifth robot slave of the day I bet. The second robot slave made four of his own so he's also living the easy life.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CainFortea posted:

Yea everyone, slave armies are good.

The whole point of the prequels was that luke and thus the audiences view of the pre imperial wonderland of the Republic was bollocks. The empire didn't overthrow the Republic, the empire is the Republic under new management.
And the Republic itself was pretty lovely and so were the jedi.

I think that's interesting even if the movies were crap to actually watch. Certainly more so than anything in the ST which are also crap to watch.

It's does piss off a lot of fans though, since they're wedded to the story obi tells luke instead of the reality in the prequels. So a lot of people see these subversions as mistakes or plot holes instead.
That's why you get people going "they should make a film set in the past! There's millenia of jedi v sith to use!" imagining if you go back far enough the jedi are these cool noble superheroes again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not that hard to create biological life.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Idiots do it every day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Let's see you do it then :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

The whole point of the prequels was that luke and thus the audiences view of the pre imperial wonderland of the Republic was bollocks.

The whole point of the prequels was George Lucas trying to prove he could make an epic space opera entirely on sound stages using CGI.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When you think about, erasing a droid's memories is kind of like killing them, so the last line in Revenge of the Sith is basically "BTW, kill 3PO".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

The whole point of the prequels was that luke and thus the audiences view of the pre imperial wonderland of the Republic was bollocks. The empire didn't overthrow the Republic, the empire is the Republic under new management.
And the Republic itself was pretty lovely and so were the jedi.

I think that's interesting even if the movies were crap to actually watch. Certainly more so than anything in the ST which are also crap to watch.

It is an interesting concept, but that's part of what makes the prequels so frustrating: they represent a huge missed opportunity to tell a much better story. "Anakin Skywalker turning from the best of the Jedi into one of the worst Sith Lords" is a great loving hook. I'd have loved to have seen a trilogy that handled that arc effectively. I'd also have loved to have seen a trilogy that handled the corruption of the Republic and its mutation into the Empire believably. But the prequels didn't manage to do either of these things effectively.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

The whole point of the prequels was George Lucas trying to prove he could make an epic space opera entirely on sound stages using CGI.

Then why did he use real locations and props ????

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Then why did he use real locations and props ????

Not a nice thing to say about Hayden bro

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majorian posted:

It is an interesting concept, but that's part of what makes the prequels so frustrating: they represent a huge missed opportunity to tell a much better story. "Anakin Skywalker turning from the best of the Jedi into one of the worst Sith Lords" is a great loving hook. I'd have loved to have seen a trilogy that handled that arc effectively. I'd also have loved to have seen a trilogy that handled the corruption of the Republic and its mutation into the Empire believably. But the prequels didn't manage to do either of these things effectively.

I wonder what all the dead youngling force ghosts think about force ghost anakin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder what all the dead youngling force ghosts think about force ghost anakin

"Oh well, I'm glad it turned out good for you in the end. All's well that ends well, right? You loving piece of poo poo..."