Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zoran posted:

Yes, because Yoda has developed a more complete view of the force since that time 25 years before when his Jedi Order hosed up a lot and almost completely died.

Its not more complete, if anything his understanding has regressed because it really is just bugs that live in your skin and if you have lots of them you get a lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

Right yoda was wrong before

It’s a character arc

Which are good to have !!
are we all just writing fanfiction now?

he wasn't wrong, the amount of magic blood someone had directly correlated to the strength of their magic powers. this is never questioned and we are never given any reason not to think they weren't 100% accurate.

more accurate fanfiction would be "yoda decided the reality of midichlorians was a bad narrative for a new jedi, so he changed it."

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

every tiny facet of the OT must have its roots in this extremely compressed 20yrs, so I don't have to think of new things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Prequel lords, will you at least concede that the Special Editions were bad, utterly superfluous at best and at worst, made the films they "improved" on worse

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cams posted:

are we all just writing fanfiction now?

he wasn't wrong, the amount of magic blood someone had directly correlated to the strength of their magic powers. this is never questioned and we are never given any reason not to think they weren't 100% accurate.

more accurate fanfiction would be "yoda decided the reality of midichlorians was a bad narrative for a new jedi, so he changed it."

I’m using Zouxs language in an effort to interface with theyre strange dialect

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

zoux posted:

Homie you know as well as I do that George hadn't the foggiest inkling of a prequel trilogy plot in 1981.

George Lucas decided to make it so Han shot second and then two years later he made the PT, this is the filmmaker we are dealing with

Why does it matter that Lucas wrote Yoda's backstory in 1999 and not 1981?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sixth grader Timmy Badposterno has to sit through a holovid of Medical Droid ER-450 talking about the special changes his body is going through and how not to accidentally murder his whole family with space lightning, meanwhile across town his dad's watching the Emperor talk about some bullshit space politics no one could give a poo poo about

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Who What Now posted:

The PT are mostly fine, but Midichlorians, every love scene with Anakin and Padme, and the two-hour fight on Lava planet are all inexcusable and yet people keep trying to excuse them.

What's inexcusable about any of that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The effects clean up is good and the added musical number in Jabbas palace is in particular a good addition which adds to the themes and atmosphere

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

What's inexcusable about any of that?
i mean, when it comes to the love scenes, imo it is the writing and the acting. they are very very bad. for each prequel, the writing and performances get progressively worse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Next up on HGHV: An exclusive look at Vader's lava castle, located in scenic Hell

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you get a fecal transplant from a Jedi Master or Sith Lord you become force sensitive.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is bad about the acting in the romance scenes ?

It’s not supposed to be naturalistic and they are ant supposed to be well adjusted, confident and suave

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I made the acting bad, as a joke

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Prequel fans treat those movies like they’re the word of God and they’ve appointed themselves proselytizing zealous defenders of them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
https://youtu.be/Muzzd-pA0g8

https://youtu.be/D4UiQX-Rf3U

I haven't watched the film in a while so I don't know how heavily edited these videos are, but it looks like the fight on the lava planet is roughly six minutes long?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Right yoda was wrong before

It’s a character arc

Which are good to have !!

Okay, but we're talking about the story as told to the viewer.

Before the PT, the Force was this mystical wonderous ability.

After the PT, it's apparently Space Thetans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

the added musical number in Jabbas palace

I'm pretty sure I could have you involuntarily committed for this take

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

zoux posted:

Prequel lords, will you at least concede that the Special Editions were bad, utterly superfluous at best and at worst, made the films they "improved" on worse

I’m ambivalent about the prequels, but yes, the Special Editions objectively made the OT worse.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sponges posted:

Prequel fans treat those movies like they’re the word of God and they’ve appointed themselves proselytizing zealous defenders of them.

No they don't this is creepy and dumb that you're projecting these qualities on people who you disagree with about a children's movie series

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

The PT are mostly fine, but Midichlorians, every love scene with Anakin and Padme, and the two-hour fight on Lava planet are all inexcusable and yet people keep trying to excuse them.

Is it bad that the Jedi are materialists, or is it simply a different story than you were expecting?

What's the purpose of a romance scene? What is the story that it fits into? The characters are falling in love - in most movies that's portrayed as a good thing. What about when everyone knows it will end badly?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Okay, but we're talking about the story as told to the viewer.

Before the PT, the Force was this mystical wonderous ability.

After the PT, it's apparently Space Thetans.

The PT happens before the OT

I know sometimes it’s hard to keep track (there are so many movies !) so you can number them with ordinals :
Episode 1: 1
Episode 2: 2
Episode 3: 3 and so on

Now you can know when the movie takes place in a series

Ie 4 is between 3 and 5

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

No they don't this is creepy and dumb that you're projecting these qualities on people who you disagree with about a children's movie series

You have an irritating and lazy habit of dismissing every opinion you don’t like as ‘creepy’.

It’s, like, wicked dumb.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

What is bad about the acting in the romance scenes ?

It’s not supposed to be naturalistic and they are ant supposed to be well adjusted, confident and suave

That doesn't mean they have to be inhuman and talk like aliens that have never seen a person before pretending to be one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

sponges posted:

They're just movies dogg, it's cool if some people like them more than you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who What Now posted:

That doesn't mean they have to be inhuman and talk like aliens that have never seen a person before pretending to be one.

That’s exactly who they are !!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Padme should have been an outer space monster, inexplicably

quote:

That’s exactly who they are !!!!

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Padme should have been an outer space monster, inexplicably

That's what she was you see!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

The PT happens before the OT

I know sometimes it’s hard to keep track (there are so many movies !) so you can number them with ordinals :
Episode 1: 1
Episode 2: 2
Episode 3: 3 and so on

Now you can know when the movie takes place in a series

Ie 4 is between 3 and 5

I get that this is confusing, since the numbers are all out of order, but the OT was released before the PT. So a lot of folks watched the OT before the PT.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

That's what she was you see!

In the very next movie (helpfully called “2”) she excuses genocide as no big deal

Seems like a monster to me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CainFortea posted:

I get that this is confusing, since the numbers are all out of order, but the OT was released before the PT. So a lot of folks watched the OT before the PT.

As our good friend SMG says, the prequels are sequels to the original films

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait I think I understand, it's the opposite reading that is true? Of course I get it now, the prequels are great films.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

Wait I think I understand, it's the opposite reading that is true? Of course I get it now, the prequels are great films.

But now the opposite of THAT is true, and they're bad.

But that means

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Finally

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

As our good friend SMG says, the prequels are sequels to the original films

Who is SMG? I know posters by their Avs.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i like the part where anakin eats a pear with a fork and knife

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

They’d had a lot

They had the scientist from Jurassic Park for a long time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CainFortea posted:

Supermechagodzilla

quote:

i like the part where anakin eats a pear with a fork and knife

The biggest warning sign of all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

THey are the most ignored poster who is not banned. (#10 all time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

At the time they were made Lucas for sure assumed you'd have watched the original movies first, so for instance you'd know Darth Sidious would go on to become the Emperor and that the big ships the clone troops fly in would eventually be known as Imperial Star Destroyers, etc.