Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhyno posted:

This isn't accurate. They introduced the plot thread of three Jokers but have done nothing with it at all.

That makes sense. Comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

His self-confidence is definitely part of it. He *has* to know Ivy could kill him at any moment but he still keeps going.

Given he's the kind of guy who keeps going up against superheroes and armed police with literally just a kite, he probably outright gets off on it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rhyno posted:

YOU GUYS

Did you know there's an official Doom Patrol soundtrack?

Because now I have a full version of Matt Bomer singing People Like Us and it's the best thing ever.

Right now it's only that one song, the actual BGM including opening/ending titles by Mansell hasn't been released yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binary Badger posted:

Right now it's only that one song, the actual BGM including opening/ending titles by Mansell hasn't been released yet.

:shrug: It was in my suggestions so I bought it off Amazon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Ivy. Always having to explain that saving plants isn't being evil.

Bane continues to be a delight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Ivy. Always having to explain that saving plants isn't being evil.

And 'splosions!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no idea what the gently caress SPLOSIONS are Bane

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ivy has a canonical penchant for killing "tiresome lovers," so...yeah.

Pretty sure she's into Kite Man because even though he's a douchebag, he seems *aware* he's a non-threatening douchebag and he willfully dials it back when she calls him on it. She's a woman who gets off on controlling people, and she very clearly has near-complete control over him *without* using her pheromones.

I think you're reading too much of comics Ivy into this version. Kite Man is a huge dork but he's an endearing dork (who is, presumably, great in the sack). I do think something's eventually going to happen to him because he's just too dumb for it not to, but I don't think it's going to be at Ivy's hands.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Not gonna lie, with the exception of the Nolan film, I've always found Bane to be a villain that made me roll my eyes for some reason (same with Doomsday). So them totally taking the piss outta him in this has me absolutely giggling every time he's on screen.

Also not gonna lie, I made satay noodles last night and did my best impersonation of that line while plating it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not gonna lie, with the exception of the Nolan film, I've always found Bane to be a villain that made me roll my eyes for some reason (same with Doomsday). So them totally taking the piss outta him in this has me absolutely giggling every time he's on screen.

Also not gonna lie, I made satay noodles last night and did my best impersonation of that line while plating it.

I, on the other hand, loving love comic book Bane but also this version of Bane

it's a Bane with a little something for everyone

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chokes McGee posted:

I think you're reading too much of comics Ivy into this version. Kite Man is a huge dork but he's an endearing dork (who is, presumably, great in the sack). I do think something's eventually going to happen to him because he's just too dumb for it not to, but I don't think it's going to be at Ivy's hands.

Unless he's the one who revealed she was going to hit that factory in the hopes of getting into the LoD himself.

I really do like this version of Ivy, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This show is the best content DC has made.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It was nice to have that brief moment of empathy between Batman and Harley. A bit of persistent character development for him. That or Alfred told him what to say.

Chokes McGee posted:

He has the exact amount of stupidity and bravado needed to live a life of kite based crime. He's also very sweet and thoughtful about Ivy. I will be very sad when he's caught in another updraft and never seen again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zesty posted:

This show is the best content DC has made.

You're wrong, but you're entitled to your own opinions.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Hypocrisy posted:

It was nice to have that brief moment of empathy between Batman and Harley. A bit of persistent character development for him. That or Alfred told him what to say.

They're both in abusive relationships with the Joker. They need to get together for therapy, really.

Although Harley is closer to finally :sever:, which really tells you how far down a hole Batman is.

Anyway, that advert for that plant which produces... economic vandalism(?) totally had some sort of "Owned by LexCorp Industries" or something at the end. Maybe Lex thought a Ivy-Harley partnership would be too powerful, and so organized events to separate the two so he could capture Ivy.

Also, I know things are being ignored for the sake of funny, but didn't Zatana put Queen of Fables into that tax code book thirty years ago AND brought her out? She looks good for a 50~ year old.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is a show about terrible people doing terrible things in endearingly wholesome ways, so I reckon that either Kite Man's going to get tragically killed off by a Legion of Doom member, or he's going to realise what Harley means to Ivy and they're going to have a good-natured breakup where they stay friends afterwards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It might have been Zatara who put Queen of Fables in the book. (Zatanna's dad)

Frank needs to take some ideas from Smash Bros about how a pot is no hindrance for an independent carnivorous plant.

This show is basically canon Venture Bros.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, this seems right to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, we learned the identity of the only other woman in the Legion: Cheetah.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xelkelvos posted:

I mean, Batman: TAS was good, but it wasn't consistently this good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This show is excellent. Much funnier and way more emotionally resonant than I ever thought it could have been. Seconding the appreciation for Ivy, but I'm really impressed with Harley's performance too. Kaley Cuoco is fantastic. Also, did I read the credits correctly, and Alan Tudyk is also playing Clayface (on top of being the Joker)? Nice one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"B-b-b-bap, we are not goons, we not henchmen, we have powers."
"That's right, i'm an acTor"

Clayface is climbing the character ranks, i doubt he'll beat Bane though.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 25, 2020

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frank needs to take some ideas from Smash Bros about how a pot is no hindrance for an independent carnivorous plant.

This show is basically canon Venture Bros.

On the other hand, it's a show about comic book villains and heroes. It's entirely possible it might have an Archer-like sliding time scale where, for example, Batman is both 30-something and has been fighting Joker since the forties.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That seemed like a given. More interesting though: she's sitting in the corner seat furthest away from Luthor, and does not look happy to be there. She has always been basically an afterthought as a villain, I don't think she even has a remotely consistent backstory. (much like Wonder Woman)

And Harley... ouch. Joker's definitely proving his manipulation chops here... one of the tactics available to a manipulative partner; withhold affection throughout a relationship unless it's threatened, then the slightest escalation will bring them crawling back going "This time is different, he's never done that before!"

Mr. Fowl posted:

On the other hand, it's a show about comic book villains and heroes. It's entirely possible it might have an Archer-like sliding time scale where, for example, Batman is both 30-something and has been fighting Joker since the forties.

Probably, but I feel a show like this should probably have at least some consistency within its own timeline. Besides, DC likes to work in generational stuff like that these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like a Lex Luthor that says gently caress.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The flashback was already mentioned to not be the exact events, it's entirely possible that it was the JSA rather than the JLA defeating her, or something like that.

I get the feeling that Cheetah was in the Legion because Luthor didn't feel comfortable with inviting Ares or any of the other gods/goddesses that make up Wonder Woman's rogues gallery out of fear of being outshone by literal gods.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LashLightning posted:

The flashback was already mentioned to not be the exact events, it's entirely possible that it was the JSA rather than the JLA defeating her, or something like that.

I get the feeling that Cheetah was in the Legion because Luthor didn't feel comfortable with inviting Ares or any of the other gods/goddesses that make up Wonder Woman's rogues gallery out of fear of being outshone by literal gods.

Also they're the Greek gods. If you thought Maxie Zeus was bad...

I get the impression they have something planned for Cheetah, she stood out from the rest of the Legion table. Probably cynical about her position and well aware she's a token. And quite possible that Lex doesn't remember her name not (necessarily) because she's a woman but because she's a C-lister. (and likely one of the reasons he really wants Ivy in the Legion, being probably Batman's most powerful female foe)

Not sure how they're treating powersets and clout here. Clayface is normally pretty prominent in Batman's villains for having an extremely formidable and versatile powerset and doing crimes as much for the limelight as the cash, but this version seems to play up the 'failed actor' part. (The BTAS version everyone's probably aware of was instead a famous actor, but either way works) While Dr Psycho is definitely C-list, though he's been powered up in this version (Telekinetic as well as telepath) and King Shark is one of the more famous Batman D-listers. The treatment of superheroes and supervillains as celebrities isn't new but it always works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

King Shark is one of the more famous Batman D-listers.

What? King Shark is a Superboy villain who later ended up in Suicide Squad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Bane's whole gimmick is a delight.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure how they're treating powersets and clout here. Clayface is normally pretty prominent in Batman's villains for having an extremely formidable and versatile powerset and doing crimes as much for the limelight as the cash, but this version seems to play up the 'failed actor' part.

I like this show's Clayface, it's well done, but for my money, no one did Clayface better than TAS. TAS is really hard to beat for a lot of character's treatments, really. TAS Mr. Freeze was legitimately sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8g8GQAAlI

This show is like Batman TAS mixed with Venture Bros and Batman Brave and the Bold and it owns.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angerbeet posted:

Bane's whole gimmick is a delight.

I like this show's Clayface, it's well done, but for my money, no one did Clayface better than TAS. TAS is really hard to beat for a lot of character's treatments, really. TAS Mr. Freeze was legitimately sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8g8GQAAlI

This show is like Batman TAS mixed with Venture Bros and Batman Brave and the Bold and it owns.

that clayface animation from BTAS is soooo well done. straight out of Akira

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Livewire has been in some group shots too, but I guess she wasn't at the Legion meeting.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Holy poo poo, I forgot how haunting that show could be for a kid.
I remember that scene was Clayface's first death - he died permanently later on in the show's run, and that scene, too, was really sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZ1fjbuIOE
God, Shirley Walker's music was excellent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I mean, Batman: TAS was good, but it wasn't consistently this good.

I was gonna propose Batman: Brave and the Bold or Doom Patrol or Legends of Tomorrow. but okay.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot how haunting that show could be for a kid.
I remember that scene was Clayface's first death - he died permanently later on in the show's run, and that scene, too, was really sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZ1fjbuIOE
God, Shirley Walker's music was excellent.

I caught the references to Psycho, Streecar Named Desire and Alien in that clip. Any others?

E: he looks like an Oscar.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

angerbeet posted:

TAS Mr. Freeze was legitimately sad.

Fittingly, Mr Freeze's origin story, with Nora etc. was invented by TAS and made it's way into comics continuity, like Harley. In his first comics apperance, he was named 'Mr Zero' and was just a guy with a freeze ray.

Though if we are doing TAS comparisons, it makes Clayface's thing with his rogue hand much darker, considering last time some of his mass ran away it developed the personality of being his 'daughter' and befriended Robin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LashLightning posted:

Although Harley is closer to finally :sever:, which really tells you how far down a hole Batman is.

I think this was Joker's way of severing, while making it clear he was the one who dumped her. So he can feel good about himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think this was Joker's way of severing, while making it clear he was the one who dumped her. So he can feel good about himself.

Joker's presented in this show as a manipulative narcissist with a HUGE ego (so, the Joker really) who can't accept that anyone might be better at him in anything no matter how petty.

It's a big blow to Harley, too- she already decided her real origin story was her breakup with Joker, and now he wants to take even that away.

It's still a running theme that Batman tries to talk Harley out of going back to the Joker again and again- that he doesn't love her, and probably isn't capable of loving anyone, and will lie through his teeth for... basically any reason but especially just to keep her around to feed the hyenas and delay Batman. There's even points where Harley's assisted him in going after Batman. (albiet reluctantly, amusing that she helps Batman with just as much gusto as she helps the Joker)

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

LashLightning posted:

didn't Zatana put Queen of Fables into that tax code book thirty years ago AND brought her out? She looks good for a 50~ year old.
MILF - Magician I'd Like to gently caress!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Swollen Member posted:

MILF - Magician I'd Like to gently caress!

Reminded that Paul Dini's wife is basically irl Zatanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Harley Quinn made a joke about a pear tree that survived 9/11.

I'm not kidding, this show is my favorite comedy on any medium.