Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Such as Watto for example

Hahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

get the gently caress out of here lmao

The question was about whether it's objectively bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Was waiting for the thread to get around to “racist stereotypes”

We pretty much started there, but Bongo Bill just apparently prefers to ignore any post that has any criticism of the movies in question.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dudeness posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

I saw the prequels when I was the target demographic of being a boy under the age of 15 and I didn’t really think 1 was bad and liked 2 but I thought 3 was very bad and when I saw it in theaters this got a big laugh from the crowd

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

We pretty much started there, but Bongo Bill just apparently prefers to ignore any post that has any criticism of the movies in question.

Sorry I skipped a lot of posts In the beginning

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How would one identify objectively bad acting, other than reading the wrong lines

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh ho ho your normal forums tricks don't work on me

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

zoux posted:

Such as Watto for example

The whole dialog bit there is atrocious. "I should've known the Jedi were plotting to take over" loving epic wordsmithing there

This is the end for you my master

Thaaaats anti semitic

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
*sees flying blue Homer Simpson that speaks some kind of Italian-American*

I can't believe George put this hurtful stereotype in this movie, think of the poor Belgians who are now gonna cry!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

objectively untrue

https://youtu.be/cK5zMDVGF2Y

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watto has a big lip btw not a big nose

Edit

Oh god I engaged

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild Horses posted:

Yoda is higher than obi wan

This is not stated anywhere in the movie. What we do know is that Obi effortlessly beat Anakin in one attack. It's clear who had the higher midichlorians.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who What Now posted:

This is not stated anywhere in the movie. What we do know is that Obi effortlessly beat Anakin in one attack. It's clear who had the higher midichlorians.

Several attacks, over an extended period of time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's some bad compositing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Don't try it Anakin, I have the high midichlorian count

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zoux posted:

but is it objectively bad?

:thunk:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Who What Now posted:

I see we're applying the Majorian standard: Obi-Wan says “20,000?! Not even Master Yoda's midichlorian count is that high,” but to draw the obvious inference that Obi-Wan's own count is not as high as Yoda's is “projection” and reading things into the movie that aren’t there.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

zoux posted:

Don't try it Anakin, I have the high midichlorian count

From my point of view, the Jedi have the higher evil-midichlorian count!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I haven't watched that scene in so long that I forgot exactly how awful the CGI was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I haven't watched that scene in so long that I forgot exactly how awful the CGI was.

What scene ?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

you have to take the view that objectively bad acting doesn't exist for it to even be defensible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Majorian posted:

From my point of view, the Jedi have the higher evil-midichlorian count!

THEN YOU ARE READING THE WRONG CHARACTER SHEET

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Zoran posted:

I see we're applying the Majorian standard: Obi-Wan says “20,000?! Not even Master Yoda's midichlorian count is that high,” but to draw the obvious inference that Obi-Wan's own count is not as high as Yoda's is “projection” and reading things into the movie that aren’t there.

The "Majorian standard" is that midichlorians are the worst thing George Lucas has ever done, and I'm including the Ewoks movies in there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zoran posted:

nothing about the prequels has any subtext, unless that subtext makes them good actually, in which case the subtext is allowed to override the things characters say explicitly

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

What scene ?

Thread move fast.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Compared to the original trilogy it's pretty great, especially before the special editions.

lmao I just remembered the insane despecialized edition where they are literally painting back in matte lines around the ships. I hope the make the snowspeeder cockpit walls transparent again too then try to explain how it's actually better that it's objectively worse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cams posted:

holy poo poo i want the thread to be about this now

"Jews are the real anti-semites" is a take hotter than the Death Star's laser.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

Compared to the original trilogy it's pretty great, especially before the special editions.

And the mask slips.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Who What Now posted:

i can handle this one, prequel guys

power levels do not inherently designate who will be the victor in the fight, but rather a specific measurement for a specific kind of strength. for example, when goku and piccolo are fighting radditz, their power levels are around 400. radditz power level is about 1500, but he still eventually falls to the pair, partly thanks to an assist from an enraged gohan headbutt with a power level of 1300.

further, it is explicitly pointed out that piccolo's power level is very close to 1500 when he has fully charged the special beam cannon that kills radditz (and goku). from this, we can see that medichlorian levels may be malleable based on circumstance and current particulars.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao I just remembered the insane despecialized edition where they are literally painting back in matte lines around the ships. I hope the make the snowspeeder cockpit walls transparent again too then try to explain how it's actually better that it's objectively worse.

Having matte lines is a small price to pay for having han shooting first and no slapstick jabba scene.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Remember how Padme died from being sad. Too many sadichlorians in her blood.
she facilitated one important man's character arc and squirted another out of her vagina. why would she stick around when the whole reason for her existence is over??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Thread move fast.

Thanks

God drat that movie owns

Might rewatch it tonight with the kids

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cams posted:

i can handle this one, prequel guys

power levels do not inherently designate who will be the victor in the fight

dragon ball z makes the point "power levels don't matter, just how hard you try" in every single arc, i don't know how people miss that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CainFortea posted:

Thread move fast.

Oof

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

dragon ball z makes the point "power levels don't matter, just how hard you try" in every single arc, i don't know how people miss that
how hard you try (to make your power level higher)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i don't know how people miss that

By not watching that stupid show in the first place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sponges posted:

You have an irritating and lazy habit of dismissing every opinion you don’t like as ‘creepy’.

It’s, like, wicked dumb.

lol I don't think I've ever been like "wow you think pineapple on pizza is good that's pretty creepy" as like a debate tic I have but I'll for sure keep an eye out for it, thanks for the honest critique

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CainFortea posted:

By not watching that stupid show in the first place.

dragon ball rules though

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Many people keep saying that the prequels are bad, but when they try to explain why, most of what they do is enumerate synonyms for "bad." Other times they make 90-minute videos filled with trivial falsehoods.

They're not perfect movies, but the level of hate they get is wildly out of proportion to any problem they have, especially in comparison to the beloved similarly-imperfect movies that they're sequels to.

It’s naive of you to think you’re going to change minds here. You can type about the unappreciated genius of the PT until your fingers are numb but the second people actually watch them, you’ve wasted your time.

I’m sorry Bongo Bill. I really am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Saint Drogo posted:

she facilitated one important man's character arc and squirted another out of her vagina. why would she stick around when the whole reason for her existence is over??

George really doesn't respect women, good lord.