Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some people just love stopping a full car length or more before the stop line. The same people also really like stopping at least that far behind other cars in a red light queue, ensuring the line is as long as loving possible.

When my 80yo mom was nearing the end of her driving era she'd stop at least a car length behind the line at a stop sign, probably because her depth perception was way off. It'd often surprise the people in the cross directions when she'd stomp on the gas after stopping way further back than she should've!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Fixed, because ...
It's already a thing, it's just rarely enforced.

They will destroy you in midtown manhattan for blocking the box. Never seen someone get snapped for it in Philly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There's a few boxes that are very clearly marked off near where I live and no one fucks with it. Though that might be because they're near busy rail lines so only the truly suicidal idiots will play around in that section of town.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

xzzy posted:

There are loopholes with it too, like the law may say you can't enter an intersection unless you can get through without stopping, but another law might say that once you're in that intersection you have right of way if the light is yellow or red. Even if there was money or willpower to enforce it, how could you?

Regardless, society has voted for their own "law" and it's acceptable to pile into the intersection as deep as you can get to try and make that left turn.
Well maybe the law should be changed to say you can't enter until you can exit within the cycle. "Without stopping" is unnecessary. Then crack down on it.

Either way if you enter and there is no space to exit into, you clearly violated the law no matter how much right of way you have.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some people just love stopping a full car length or more before the stop line. The same people also really like stopping at least that far behind other cars in a red light queue, ensuring the line is as long as loving possible.
What I find even stranger than that apparently being a plague in some areas is that I've never seen anyone do it. Why such vast differences in behavior?

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2020

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

TotalLossBrain posted:

I saw this happen today...with a AAA Driving School car. Teaching them young. Last week I was at a 4 way stop, all 4 stop signs had cars waiting for their appropriate turn and all waiting on...the Plymouth Driving School car. Like what the gently caress are you teaching them if you can't get the right of way at a 4 way stop right. That is like Day 1 driver's ed poo poo. Considering how the driving schools in my area operate it may best that I just move away from the area.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
When I drive to work there is pretty much always a loong (sometimes probably at least 1km long) queue on a 2 lane road that goes into one lane going the opposite way (which is why I'll never move out of the city in cane I ever work in the city). So instead of not being braindead and actually use the space, they just sit in a long rear end queue that sometimes creates tons of problems further back where other roads join. Oh and it's not uncommon for there to be someone blocking both lanes because "pEoPlE sHoUlD wAiT tHeIr tUrN" :downs:.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat related but the other side of it, is when it is just a single lane with people turning left, and those behind going straight get impatient and pass on the turner on the right (where there is no lane) so the people coming the opposite way, expecting it to be a single lane, risk getting T-boned if they turn left since the person opposite is also turning left.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

slidebite posted:

Somewhat related but the other side of it, is when it is just a single lane with people turning left, and those behind going straight get impatient and pass on the turner on the right (where there is no lane) so the people coming the opposite way, expecting it to be a single lane, risk getting T-boned if they turn left since the person opposite is also turning left.

the flip side of this is that the person making the turn needs to actually step on the loving gas when there's a gap. I won't pass somebody who's clearly actually engaged in the activity of finding an opening and turning, but if they're just sitting there texting as usable gaps pass by, get fuuuuuuuucked

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

slidebite posted:

This happens by my house a lot as my neighborhood entrance is off a somewhat busy 45mph 2 lane road with no shoulder so people will drive onto the grass to get around turners, and since it is a large neighborhood there are a fair few of them. I noticed it happens more to me when I'm in slower cars that need larger gaps. It happens often enough that the grass on the side of the road is dead and has ruts going through it.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 26, 2020

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Roundabouts. Roundabouts. Roundabouts.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Last night I had someone try to Pittsburgh left in front of me. He didn't commit, and we both stopped, so I honked. He finally just went, then followed by the next three cars, who all got honked at while they flashed their lights at me. I had to double take to make sure I didn't blow through a protected left at that point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but with a surgical mask on because you’re scared of germs, says interesting things about your capabilities of risk analysis.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Phanatic posted:

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but with a surgical mask on because you’re scared of germs, says interesting things about your capabilities of risk analysis.

Heh, as someone who only rides ATGATT, and for whom being in the wind is a big part of the appeal of bikes, I think you found the Star Trek evil universe version of me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They’re the same people who, upon the light turning green, let the car in front get approximately 5 car lengths ahead before beginning to accelerate.

this poo poo makes me so mad. i've described it as "cars connected with a slack rope". the car in front has to get far enough ahead for it to tighten and pull the next car.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Good to have some research supporting observations

quote:

Not only assholes drive Mercedes. Besides disagreeable men, also conscientious people drive high‐status cars

Abstract
In a representative sample of Finnish car owners (N = 1892) we connected the Five‐Factor Model personality dimensions to driving a high‐status car. Regardless of whether income was included in the logistic model, disagreeable men and conscientious people in general were particularly likely to drive high‐status cars. The results regarding agreeableness are consistent with prior work that has argued for the role of narcissism in status consumption. Regarding conscientiousness, the results can be interpreted from the perspective of self‐congruity theory, according to which consumers purchase brands that best reflect their actual or ideal personalities. An important implication is that the association between driving a high‐status car and unethical driving behaviour may not, as is commonly argued, be due to the corruptive effects of wealth. Rather, certain personality traits, such as low agreeableness, may be associated with both unethical driving behaviour and with driving a high‐status car.

Article (behind a paywall)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ijop.12642

Some more in the press release:
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/nor...se-with-traffic

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So... if you’re an rear end in a top hat, chances are you drive like an rear end in a top hat and drive a bimmer?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

So... if you’re an rear end in a top hat, chances are you drive like an rear end in a top hat and drive a bimmer?

I've done the math. It checks out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My aggressive/rear end in a top hat driver index which is 98.39% accurate, 19 times out of 20 and not with a single shred of confirmation bias:

Bro-trucks
Audis
VWs
BMWs
Large 'statement" SUVs

All of the above have a further +25 likelihood if there is something "jesus" related somewhere as window sticker

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ll also add rusty poo poo heap civics to that list. There’s something about being a teenage boy and having VTEC and a fart cannon that makes you want to inform everyone in a 3 mile radius that you exist simply by going 55 in a 45.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Reminds me, I don't think I've seen a Civic with the tires offset 2 feet from the car in quite some time. Guess all those wheel bearings went up to visit the pearly gates.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

slidebite posted:

My aggressive/rear end in a top hat driver index which is 98.39% accurate, 19 times out of 20 and not with a single shred of confirmation bias:

Bro-trucks
Audis
VWs
BMWs
Large 'statement" SUVs

All of the above have a further +25 likelihood if there is something "jesus" related somewhere as window sticker

Thin blue line stickers and American flags.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wasabi the J posted:

We don't have these in Canada.

Oddly we do have the occasional confederate flag sticker, and oh boy you better believe those are a sign of fuckwittedness and poo poo driving.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

slidebite posted:

Bro-trucks
Audis
VWs
BMWs
Large 'statement" SUVs

Mazdas. I think the zoom-zoom marketing must have gone to people's heads because I see more aggro Mazdas than any other Japanese make.

Not me of course I am a perfect driver.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

When I pull an rear end in a top hat maneuver, I have a reason!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

taqueso posted:

When I pull an rear end in a top hat maneuver, I have a reason!

Yeah, you're an rear end in a top hat. No need to restate this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wasabi the J posted:

"molon labe" or one of its many derivatives

e: vvvv exactly

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 2, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

"molon labe" or one of its many derivatives

Moron label.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The idiots coming across the road on the protected green stacked up a bit too deep today. I don’t understand why you’d go across when the lane is already backed up to the intersection. Probably 30 people missed this light because these smarties couldn’t stay out of the intersection.

I hope you gave them the horn for the full duration of the light

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ganryu_battle/status/1225936052298244096

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

drat.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Gemini Christmas!

:dadjoke:

That is some top level stunt driving.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Curious how they did the endo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Curious how they did the endo.

Probably pinched off the rear brakes or something

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
e:nm

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 10, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Wow, it's been like 20 years since I saw those videos the first time online! IIRC, they welded a bar between the yellow and blue one and did some slick editing to make it look like they were separated in other shots.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

drat my '89 Isuzu Trooper was fun before it decomposed.

I passed its last inspection by packing a rust hole with snow and spray painting it black.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

drat my '89 Isuzu Trooper was fun before it decomposed.

I passed its last inspection by packing a rust hole with snow and spray painting it black.

OP material right here.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
someone made our morning commute super fun today by dumping metal all over 405 in Kirkland.

https://twitter.com/LeeStoll/status...tretch-of-i-405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
If that's actually what was on the road then yeah, that'll gently caress up the underside of your car really good if you run over it at highway speeds. :gonk: