Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mayuri and Nemu beat the hand I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Askin also died to Kisuke and Grimmjaw. Ywach did his mega maid routine twice though so he has the most Quincy kills.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

idk Unohana's bankai seemed pretty clear? It loving melts people. Unohana just kept healing Kenpatchi every time he got killed/melted so he'd come back stronger, until he finally hit his true power and killed her.

I'm pretty sure she turned herself into a skelly with it. There seemed to be some wonky poo poo going on.

My guess: Kubo had no idea and just drew cool stuff.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

This thread makes me want to reread Bleach even though I know it'll be bad for my blood pressure

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doc Fission posted:

This thread makes me want to reread Bleach even though I know it'll be bad for my blood pressure

I just reread bits and parts. Like Kenpachi fights.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I had stopped reading Naruto pretty early so Bleach was the first manga I seriously followed long-term, and maybe the first time I eventually felt punished for liking something and wanting it to be good. What a buck wild waste of potential

Some stuff I always think about when I think about Bleach:

• Division 11 good, Yachiru being a sword the whole time bad

• For all that KT needed to stop slapping characters together based on their relative positions in the popularity polls, the Byakuya and Kenpachi occasional sitcom featuring previous and current Division 11 members in omake chapters was pretty good. Division 11 was great in part because it had a sense of history. Renji and sunglasses having been former members was great detail, and even though Ikkaku and Yumichika had no reason to keep showing up they were still fun to read. Really lent weight subtextually as well to the idea that the only likable people in Soul Society were the people who subverted its culture.

• Chad deserved rights

• Orihime deserved better in the HM arc specifically

• KT is really awful at romantic subtext so pairing off characters at the end just seemed really loving weird. Gin and Rangiku were so underwritten that Gin's betrayal and their uh two pages of emotional reconciliation meant nothing to me

• Why didn't KT have a backgrounds guy after the SS arc

• Honestly just thinking about this series makes me mad

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Unohanas bankai was blood ocean

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinigami's cup golden makes a strong case for the characters being fun, but that is obviously totally separate from the actual manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo didn't like backgrounds because of aesthetics, and that would have been fine if not for the backgrounds decreasing proportionately with the writing quality. so, it seemed more like laziness even though kubo was never a bad artist.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I get the feeling that Bleach as a story suffered a lot more from the power creep than its peers because it also tried to throw in JoJo-style high-concept superpowers and when you have to make something like that strong enough to be on the level of shonen endgame bullshit it always ends in an extremely confusing mess unless you're really loving good at it. And unfortunately Kubo is no Araki or Togashi.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I liked how they were all apparently fine with Aizen escaping again. He’d made good progress unlocking his own restraints after like, a few years, and had gotten more powerful through sheer smugness, bodes well for everyone.

EDIT: Hell, they should have used him as the new Soul King. Wipe that smug look off when you’re a torso in a crystal.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 24, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want a slice of life about Halibel and her Fraccion.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

I get the feeling that Bleach as a story suffered a lot more from the power creep than its peers because it also tried to throw in JoJo-style high-concept superpowers and when you have to make something like that strong enough to be on the level of shonen endgame bullshit it always ends in an extremely confusing mess unless you're really loving good at it. And unfortunately Kubo is no Araki or Togashi.

Bleach had conceptual powers with the caveat that if your spirit power was high enough, you could apparently straight up ignore them (see: Aizen just straight up ignoring Soifon's 2-hit kill).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Doc Fission posted:

I want to start a podcast called Drinking Bleach were I review the anime in like 5 episode chunks along with the applicable manga chapters.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bleach had conceptual powers with the caveat that if your spirit power was high enough, you could apparently straight up ignore them (see: Aizen just straight up ignoring Soifon's 2-hit kill).

I’ve always wondered why, after introducing this concept with Kenpachi (who just shrugs off direct hits from swords), did Kubo feel the need to give Arrancar a specific ability that does the exact same thing? They even have their own version of flash step. Then Quincy come along and they also have a flash step imitation and an ability to make their skin really hard. It’s the weirdest decision I’ve ever seen an author make.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I want to start a podcast called Drinking Bleach were I review the anime in like 5 episode chunks along with the applicable manga chapters.

Add in a drinking game and you've got a hit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if everyone is engaging in melee battles then the abilities to move fast and take hits are something that every faction would want to develop. and because it was bleach, it's only natural that new enemies were going to posture and brag about every conceivable thing they could do including their versions of a common skill set.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Vonnie posted:

Add in a drinking game and you've got a hit.

Oh...my.....God

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of Aizen he's a real problem character because due to his broken-rear end power you can never really be sure if what you see on the panel is actually happening or not. In that scene with Soifon, for example, there are at least two explanations for what really happened that are equally plausible and there's really no way for the reader to determine which one it actually is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

Speaking of Aizen he's a real problem character because due to his broken-rear end power you can never really be sure if what you see on the panel is actually happening or not. In that scene with Soifon, for example, there are at least two explanations for what really happened that are equally plausible and there's really no way for the reader to determine which one it actually is.

Ichigo just watching in horror as the squad murders Momo is just so unintentionally funny.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Weren’t we also shown Aizen’s inner thoughts even though later it was revealed to be an illusion?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
remember when one of the quincy badguys was called out as a trans woman because she "reeks of semen"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ I'm pretty sure that was the uh... creative translation team that was scanlating Bleach at the time, not what the actual text said. They're also the ones who translated Shinji telling Ichigo it's okay to relax and recover after a hard fought battle as "Ain't no shame in kingin' like kong sometimes."

Aizen went to HM, built a giant Dr. Wily castle, and used his McGuffin to create ten incredibly powerful subordinates fiercely loyal to him, and then a bunch of underlings for those subordinates. He then kidnaps Orihime to kick off the entire arc.

Then he just leaves all of it behind at the drop of a hat, and later explains it was all a long con to get SS to split their forces and trap like, what, 4-5 captains and a couple lieutenants in HM? All the stuff about needing Orihime was lies, and the arrancar were completely useless to him from the start - he knew this - and once they all die he just shrugs. The only one who was even remotely needed was Wonderweisse to seal Yamamoto's sword, but even that one doesn't really make sense since Aizen had him under perfect illusions like everybody else and could have just had him waste his Bankai on Momo.

Basically everything in the HM arc until Deicide is meaningless. The arrancar never really mattered. Orihime's power didn't actually matter. Trapping a couple captains in HM didn't matter because again, perfect illusions. Ichigo's whole growth arc within HM where he learns to harness his hollow power didn't even really matter because he beats Aizen with a completely unrelated ability, loses his power, and then once he gets it back the whole hollow aspect of it never really matters again outside of him firing one Cero at Yhwach.

The more about Bleach this thread makes me remember the more I realize how much of an absolute loving mess it was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oxxidation posted:

remember when one of the quincy badguys was called out as a trans woman because she "reeks of semen"

I think that at least was a scanlation issue rather than a Bleach issue.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I recall that particular element being in the mangastream scans, who were usually overly faithful to the text. And it wouldn’t be surprising coming from Bleach where every evil organization had an effeminate man stereotype villain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A lot of characters speak in overly vulgar Japanese in Bleach because they're punks or thugs or explicit yakuza types. Mangastream got this across by constantly inserting swears, the word "retard", and phrases such as "faking the funk", "kinging like kong", and "fighting gives me a hard on".

They were faithful in tone and arguably intent at least in the broad strokes, but in terms of what characters were actually, literally saying, it was more localization than translation.

That said I have not seen the original Japanese page we're talking about so who knows, Yumichika could very well have actually phrased the same way.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sydin posted:

e. ^ I'm pretty sure that was the uh... creative translation team that was scanlating Bleach at the time, not what the actual text said. They're also the ones who translated Shinji telling Ichigo it's okay to relax and recover after a hard fought battle as "Ain't no shame in kingin' like kong sometimes."

For what it's worth, the official English translation toned it down to a more generic "smell/odor of a man".

Julias fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 24, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ah, fair enough then. Guess I shouldn't be surprised at poo poo trans representation in shounen manga. :sigh:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I had always assumed that was scanlators being lovely too.

But, uh, I decided to grab a Jump+ trial account and check it for myself and nope.

"精液臭いよ、キミ"

Literally, "you reek of semen."

Bleach continues to get worse. At least that opening is a banger.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

A lot of characters speak in overly vulgar Japanese in Bleach because they're punks or thugs or explicit yakuza types. Mangastream got this across by constantly inserting swears, the word "retard", and phrases such as "faking the funk", "kinging like kong", and "fighting gives me a hard on".

They were faithful in tone and arguably intent at least in the broad strokes, but in terms of what characters were actually, literally saying, it was more localization than translation.

That said I have not seen the original Japanese page we're talking about so who knows, Yumichika could very well have actually phrased the same way.

I wonder how the Japanese translate our constant bolding and italicizing of words in comic books.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-27/bleach-creator-kubo-tite-new-work-to-be-unveiled-at-animejapan-2020/.155814

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why is the manga industry so focused on one person doing everything? That seems pretty ridiculous.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's not. Plenty of manga are actually collaborative works with the artist/author and teams of assistants, or even just the writer and artist being separate people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If anything I'm surprised he's getting back in the game. He almost worked himself to death on Bleach by his own admission, and he's worth enough to just draw all the cool poo poo he wants on his own time and never have to think about work again.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Bleachface? I dunno, sounds kinda racist. :haw:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am unreasonably excited. Also god drat, 20 years. crumbles into dust

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope he gets along with his editor this time.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The first thing I thought was "Oh no, not again," and I didn't even watch past the monster of the week episodes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hope it's a complete reboot with a story that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways, I've been reading Bleach on and off a bit, and I think one of Bleach's greatest weaknesses was Ichigo's blandness as a character after some point.

Like, he's constantly confused, grim, determined, fed up, or stoic. He just doesn't seem to smile or laugh or joke around much. Also his goal is constantly shifting based on who or what he has to save in the newest arc.

It set him apart from the other two big shounen characters during Bleach's time period. Naruto and Luffy were both rambunctious idiots with clear goals, and constantly did goofy poo poo though they were willing to get serious when it mattered.

Though maybe that was just the nature of the plot in Bleach constantly required Ichigo to be serious or suffering.

I just wish it had more stuff like him trolling Mayuri.