Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there are many alltracks and SWs around ann arbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

flightless greeb posted:

I just test drove a 2013 S212 MB E350 wagon and really liked it also so yea I'm still out here being dumb as hell about my future work car stuck in traffic mobile

I would very much love to find a nice condition E39 wagon but there just don't seem to be any. It's like they've all vanished - I'm finding an easier time of finding a nice E34 wagon for whatever reason.

I wonder if these things are like the Panamera and can handle towing 6k pounds or something

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The GT is indeed cheaper than the wagon and I did test drive both the 3 series and the 5 series and while they were ok to drive I just can't get over how piss ugly they are. Plus at that point I might as well shop crossovers.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you can find nice E34 wagons why aren't you buying those, like all of them

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've just found the one, this one https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=256442343 but tbh I think the E34 is just too old for me to be comfortable with. It's practically a collector car in nice shape now and I'd feel bad sticking it into rush hour traffic 5 days a week and getting rock chips in the windshield/paint etc.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/787975506/overview/

$6k for a supercharged purple wagon says she's your Huckleberry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flightless greeb posted:

The GT is indeed cheaper than the wagon and I did test drive both the 3 series and the 5 series and while they were ok to drive I just can't get over how piss ugly they are. Plus at that point I might as well shop crossovers.

the GTs are the ugliest shits BMW has made so far

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
How are the F20 M135i's with the auto box regarded? Are there are major issues with them? I'm considering probably a 2015 or 16 model for a fun, comfy daily driver that would be decent for road trips. I drive a Fiesta ST at the moment for a reference point.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Tremek posted:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/787975506/overview/

$6k for a supercharged purple wagon says she's your Huckleberry.

Is that the same 3.0 TSI I have in my B8 S4? I want to like that car but it's somehow too round looking, like an uglier version of the car I already have. On paper it seems awesome tho for sure

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mahatma-Squid posted:

How are the F20 M135i's with the auto box regarded? Are there are major issues with them? I'm considering probably a 2015 or 16 model for a fun, comfy daily driver that would be decent for road trips. I drive a Fiesta ST at the moment for a reference point.

The B58 engine with the ZF8 gearbox is a winning combo. As far as I know there are no common issues with either the B38/48/58 engines or the gearbox.

Try and get a M140i if you can, then you’re guaranteed to have the B58 instead of the old N55.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what is up with all of these people in this thread suggesting E34 and E39 wagons for a guy's work vehicle

you all are insane

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

(looks at forum name)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what is up with all of these people in this thread suggesting E34 and E39 wagons for a guy's work vehicle

you all are insane

yo, a 2003 540it is only like a five year old car

gently caress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

saw in the bar the other night that if u were born on this day in 1999 you are good to go

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The B58 engine with the ZF8 gearbox is a winning combo. As far as I know there are no common issues with either the B38/48/58 engines or the gearbox.

Try and get a M140i if you can, then you’re guaranteed to have the B58 instead of the old N55.

Is the B58 significantly better reliability wise? There's only a couple of M140's around in my price range, but stacks of M135's.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Anyone have any insights on a bmw motorcycle? I check the cycle subreddit and didnt see a bmw one (could be blind). Going to the dealership today to look at a nineT racer but wanted to see if anyone has riden one before.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

fyallm posted:

Anyone have any insights on a bmw motorcycle? I check the cycle subreddit and didnt see a bmw one (could be blind). Going to the dealership today to look at a nineT racer but wanted to see if anyone has riden one before.

You’ll probably get a better answer in the CA subforum. https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=236

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Current status: Apparently if you have a Pixel phone, you need USB A to Ethernet, and use a C to A adapter, because of the chipset or something. The C to Ethernet I bought doesn't work, and googling shows that it's standard across the board that way.

Whatever, it's 30* and raining, I'll gently caress with it next weekend. License was $120, and you can only pay with Paypal, fwiw.

Update on this, weeks later. Pixel phones absolutely will not let you configure wired ethernet settings at all, so you cannot use a cable to flash this. I bought the black MHD wifi tuning thing, and it worked great. Quick to flash, nothing to dick around with other than forgetting my home wifi to force it to stay on the MHD.

Finally flashed it now that the weather's not poo poo, and going to the dealer to check out a random low coolant warning turned into a new radiator and coolant under CPO. Best $50 so far!

Also, I went from FWD Toyotas to AWD BMWs, so having this in RWD for the past few days is hilarious. Definitely very different driving mechanics, and it triggers the traction control a fair bit more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alarbus posted:

Finally flashed it now that the weather's not poo poo, and going to the dealer to check out a random low coolant warning turned into a new radiator and coolant under CPO. Best $50 so far!

It will take more than that to beat my 50 dollar DCT.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It will take more than that to beat my 50 dollar DCT.

Well, yeah. I meant for me, but drat replacing the DCT for $50 is certainly getting your money's worth!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is the B58 significantly better reliability wise? There's only a couple of M140's around in my price range, but stacks of M135's.

Around all BMW enthusiast sites I’ve visited there is a deafening silence when it comes to problems with the B engines.

The engines themselves are a modular design, the 3 cylinder B38 is literally half a 6 cylinder B58. The B48 is the B58 with two cylinders chopped off. Effectively any issues with one engine would affect all the others in the range too, and so far there doesn’t seem to have been anything.

I’ve noticed as well that over 32000 miles my B48 320i hasn’t consumed any oil between services, while my N13 118i ate about 1L every 8000 miles or so, slowly increasing with time/mileage.

My N14 Cooper S swallowed 1L every 1000 miles or so. Yeah.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I took the E82 to an approved shop for the warranty I got when I bought it, they're replacing the valve cover to (hopefully) fix the oil leak, but they're saying the weird noise I get at 65-70mph is just "tire noise" which seems kind of bullshit to me. Have you guys had a bad set of tires that sounds weird just at certain speeds?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rscott posted:

Have you guys had a bad set of tires that sounds weird just at certain speeds?

Absolutely. I've had bad tires make all kinds of noises... some always, some at certain speeds, some only when wet. One way to troubleshoot a bit is to rotate the tires and see if the sound changes at all, especially changing sides so they roll the opposite direction (even directional tires, a few troubleshooting miles doesn't hurt anything). But even that isn't a sure way to diagnose. The only way to know for sure is to swap tires.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah now that I've done some googling apparently it's a random problem with the PS A/S 3+ for all kinds of different makes and models of car. Guess I'll have to dig out the warranty information and see what can be done

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

rscott posted:

I took the E82 to an approved shop for the warranty I got when I bought it, they're replacing the valve cover to (hopefully) fix the oil leak, but they're saying the weird noise I get at 65-70mph is just "tire noise" which seems kind of bullshit to me. Have you guys had a bad set of tires that sounds weird just at certain speeds?

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec (previous to current gen) did this and I had to buy different tires. I autocrossed them once and the highway noise was enough for me to swallow the bill for some Pilot Super Sports.

I have since stopped buying Super Sports due to their 'super price' and now use Firehawk Indy 500 tires. :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

Yeah now that I've done some googling apparently it's a random problem with the PS A/S 3+ for all kinds of different makes and models of car. Guess I'll have to dig out the warranty information and see what can be done

pretty sure kotex had a bad set a few months ago

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

pretty sure kotex had a bad set a few months ago
Lol was just about to post about this, yes I did

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
So, my E83 X3 appears to be flooded and won’t start, anyone have any advice? It’s parked on the street, so I can’t get under it or do a hell of a lot under the hood.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Deadguy2322 posted:

So, my E83 X3 appears to be flooded and won’t start, anyone have any advice? It’s parked on the street, so I can’t get under it or do a hell of a lot under the hood.

What makes you think it's flooded?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah anything with something approaching modern computer controlled EFI and check valves, shouldn't really, "flood" in the traditional sense of the word.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Lol was just about to post about this, yes I did

I must have missed that post, could you link it please

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Lightbulb Out posted:

What makes you think it's flooded?

Someone suggested it because of what we heard when trying to start it, but that’s not it. Had a friend take a look with me, and it just seems the starter is stuck. Now I need to find the starter to tap it with a rubber mallet to try to break it free.

Anyone know where the starter is on an E83 motor?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Deadguy2322 posted:

Someone suggested it because of what we heard when trying to start it, but that’s not it. Had a friend take a look with me, and it just seems the starter is stuck. Now I need to find the starter to tap it with a rubber mallet to try to break it free.

Anyone know where the starter is on an E83 motor?

Ok, found out where it is. Hopefully the warm weather tomorrow and a couple whacks on the engine block to shake it a bit gets the starter unstuck.

Two weeks ago, we had a solid week of -30c ambient temps and wind chill below -35, and the car won’t start since. Battery is fully charged, engine isn’t flooded, so I think the starter is just sticking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how do you know for sure the battery is charged? a bad storm is an easy killer of many batteries

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

I must have missed that post, could you link it please
peep the lil question mark under my name

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man you've got like 7 pages of posts in this thread but now I see what you're talking about, did you have any weird noises/vibration to go with the wearing and other stuff?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

BraveUlysses posted:

how do you know for sure the battery is charged? a bad storm is an easy killer of many batteries

Battery is fully charged, spent two full days on a charger.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Deadguy2322 posted:

Battery is fully charged, spent two full days on a charger.

-30c will pop a battery right quick if it's on its last legs. What's the date on it? BMWs post e36 and *especially* post e46 are notoriously finnicky about their batteries' health.

Do you hear the solenoid drop and then a rapidly repeating *click* when you hit the key? Bad battery.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Crunchy Black posted:

-30c will pop a battery right quick if it's on its last legs. What's the date on it? BMWs post e36 and *especially* post e46 are notoriously finnicky about their batteries' health.

Do you hear the solenoid drop and then a rapidly repeating *click* when you hit the key? Bad battery.

The battery is less than a year old, so it’s good. I charged it after temps came back up, just to be sure. No click, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Deadguy2322 posted:

The battery is less than a year old, so it’s good. I charged it after temps came back up, just to be sure. No click, either.

Starter is shot, gonna need it towed to the garage. gently caress.