Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I have uhh, 4 slots so of course I have all the above. I've been dumping blood into Iron Pill, maybe it's time to hold off on that for awhile then.

I only pump blood into the drop rate spell for a couple minutes. The rate of increase drops FAST. But it's an extra 20% for free that's multiplicative with all your other sources. Keep in mind that the drop rate and gold per second spells reset with rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Kin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone's done the math that high value conversions from unhealthy whales always makes a game more money than loads of micro transactions. Then all new clickers have just copied it.

It's almost screaming out for a meta idler to be made about idle games.

Here, have a whole disgusting presentation on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Ehh, I dunno about these videos about making your IAP target "whales". NGU is doing just fine by not having the IAP be pure p2w or really expensive.

I really don't see how NGU could be making much more than it does now if I jacked up ap costs by like 3x or added really OP stuff or did in your face "LIMITED OFFER BUY NOW" packs. In fact, I suspect a ton of people would be turned off the game to begin with if it was like that and thus, make less $.

There's plenty of folks in the $100 or $500 lifetime spending range as is.

something fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 29, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

Ehh, I dunno about these videos about making your IAP target "whales". NGU is doing just fine by not having the IAP be pure p2w or really expensive.

I really don't see how NGU could be making much more than it does now if I jacked up ap costs by like 3x or added really OP stuff or did in your face "LIMITED OFFER BUY NOW" packs. In fact, I suspect a ton of people would be turned off the game to begin with if it was like that and thus, make less $.

There's plenty of folks in the $100 or $500 lifetime spending range as is.

It would because the 1% of people that would spend more are willing to spend a LOT more. You'd have way less players but each would be willing to buy doubler potions that last an hour at $10 a pop and run them 24/7. It's really lovely to do, but I've played a lot of games where that's exactly what happens, the games tend to last about 4-6 months only though because the whales get burned out and switch to some other game. (Which is when you make very small modifications to your game and release a 2nd one and the same whales come back, there's some idle RPG with a heavy PvP focus that constantly comes up in my google new releases I think they are up to 7 now).

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kin posted:

It's almost screaming out for a meta idler to be made about idle games.

Not an idler but isn't that basically Succubox?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Make the difficulty for the next level of content scale way more dramatically.

Now, create a card combining mechanism that lets you fuse two cards of the same type to make one that's much stronger, but has a percentage chance of failing and destroying both cards based on the tier level.

But you can buy a consumable card sleeve protector that means you keep your cards on failure, they just don't fuse.

Keep ratcheting up the difficulty and make these cards the only way to keep up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Make the difficulty for the next level of content scale way more dramatically.

Now, create a card combining mechanism that lets you fuse two cards of the same type to make one that's much stronger, but has a percentage chance of failing and destroying both cards based on the tier level.

But you can buy a consumable card sleeve protector that means you keep your cards on failure, they just don't fuse.

Keep ratcheting up the difficulty and make these cards the only way to keep up.

Ah, I see you have also played FlyFF. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's important to note that the extremely big spenders don't actually care about the game, they just want to be the best in something and have basically infinite money. So once one is clearly number 1 because they are spending the most money everyone else starts dropping off, this is also why they play follow up games that are 100% the same game with a new skin and maybe like 1 new tier of gear.

NGU is an actually good game. Unlikely whale bait. Sometimes whale bait games have some good ideas or something interesting going on at their core, but they'd be far better games without that.

If you go after the whales, it's not about making a compelling reason to buy something, it's about making it seem powerful but not actually. The EXP in NGU is the perfect example, like in a whale game that could be the only way to get EXP and NGU would probably be a viable whale bait game. (Okay something would have to change, I use $40,000,000 worth of EXP a day, but general idea)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Also, start making time limited events where the upper reward tiers require either perfect play, or paying money. Then do a second scoreboard that shows your progress as a percentile of players, and give special rewards to the top 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1% as well as the top 10 players.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
stop i've already thrown up in my mouth

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

stop i've already thrown up in my mouth

The only people paying that are filthy billionaires that are going to get the guillotine anyway, you don't want to take money from stupid billionaires?

You'd lose any and all goodwill from NGU being an actually good game so if you do want to do it, do it under a different company and a new handle.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The stock market is by far the biggest idler and it relies on a really small number of whales

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Make a leader-board of "who has paid the most", but don't display the actual dollar amounts. There you go, a silent auction.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pixaal posted:

The only people paying that are filthy billionaires that are going to get the guillotine anyway, you don't want to take money from stupid billionaires?

hahaha you say that as though it isn't addiction and other mental health issues that make people go into debt over this poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

hahaha you say that as though it isn't addiction and other mental health issues that make people go into debt over this poo poo.

You actually took that at face value?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
On the topic of mobile Idle games, Adventure Communist updated today with another rewards mechanic, this time just a little thing focused on the main grind with things like "Complete __ Objectives" or "Get ___ Cards" which add up for another full reward, eventually.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

So I guess I got a foil/gold card or something?

I don't see what the gold card signifies in the WTF. What does it all meeannn??

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It means shiny

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

something posted:

It means shiny

I'm not sure what I expected really.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can the gold cards provide a multiplier on the card multiplier? That way it makes them more valuable, and more likely to be cast. Make the gold cards only multiplicative, and only the highest one counts. That would also act as a reminder about the highest gold card you got.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Can the gold cards provide a multiplier on the card multiplier? That way it makes them more valuable, and more likely to be cast. Make the gold cards only multiplicative, and only the highest one counts. That would also act as a reminder about the highest gold card you got.

Why not make them do both then? They can still add to the base multiplier for if you get one that is lower.

There is a clear upper limit but would still give the feature a bit more oomf when you unlock it that doesn't really keep building.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pixaal posted:

Why not make them do both then? They can still add to the base multiplier for if you get one that is lower.

There is a clear upper limit but would still give the feature a bit more oomf when you unlock it that doesn't really keep building.

Yea that seems fine too, but I assume something has a power curve in mind with cards. Either way I think gold cards should do something.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
That's essentially the chonker function. if i made foils add a new multiplier, it'd also make the $ pack with the perma foils absurdly OP and P2W.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's the general approach for taking on the badly drawn world zone in adventure?

I've got my stats high enough to manually kill the bosses but the drop rates are so tiny that I don't expect to see any gear at all.

Is it at this point that manually sniping yourself upwards takes a back seat to ploughing levels into other things to just straight up idle the next zone?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Kin posted:

What's the general approach for taking on the badly drawn world zone in adventure?

I've got my stats high enough to manually kill the bosses but the drop rates are so tiny that I don't expect to see any gear at all.

Is it at this point that manually sniping yourself upwards takes a back seat to ploughing levels into other things to just straight up idle the next zone?

What’s your Neckbeard level and what is your drop rate NGU, they need to be higher.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

Have you made a level 100 wanderer's cane and transformed it?

If your drop rates are really low (like 5% or less) then you aren't ready to kill that area on manual - get more stats so you can idle it, or figure out how to improve your drop rate (beards, NGU, yggdrasil, accessories)

When I got to BDW, I had a reasonable enough drop rate, and lucked out on getting the weapon as my first drop which then allowed me to idle it.

I'm now at the stage where you are in Boring Earth - 2% drop rate from boss, and can't quite idle the zone yet. But I think a few more 24-hour rebirths and a day of advanced training will get me over the hump.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

something posted:

if i made foils add a new multiplier, it'd also make the $ pack with the perma foils absurdly OP and P2W.

For what it's worth, that function isn't working. Ignore me, it wasn't mentioned anywhere about it being an options menu thing. :doh:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2020

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Devor posted:

Have you made a level 100 wanderer's cane and transformed it?

If your drop rates are really low (like 5% or less) then you aren't ready to kill that area on manual - get more stats so you can idle it, or figure out how to improve your drop rate (beards, NGU, yggdrasil, accessories)

When I got to BDW, I had a reasonable enough drop rate, and lucked out on getting the weapon as my first drop which then allowed me to idle it.

I'm now at the stage where you are in Boring Earth - 2% drop rate from boss, and can't quite idle the zone yet. But I think a few more 24-hour rebirths and a day of advanced training will get me over the hump.

I’m a stage where I can idle BAE and can idle Beast v1 and manual v2. I’ve got a big step to get to Chocolate World.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oodles posted:

What’s your Neckbeard level and what is your drop rate NGU, they need to be higher.

Neckbeard is 1036 (permanent).NGU is only at 2110 (i forgot i hadn't put too much into it yet.

I'm guessing they should be waaaay higher, with the NGU maybe being up at the 10k+ level for BDW like a lot of my other NGUs?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah, the default move iirc is to put 50/50 energy in Adv and Drop each, so it being below others makes since because it costs much more energy per bar, its still gotta be pretty large

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

something posted:

That's essentially the chonker function. if i made foils add a new multiplier, it'd also make the $ pack with the perma foils absurdly OP and P2W.

Oh I forgot about this. <:mad:>

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I, uh, disabled that option after buying the pack because the foil makes it hard to read some of the rarities and makes the foil thing pretty pointless anyway when all the cards show up as that color. :shrug:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you figure out your drop rate for a zone anyways? All I can see is my drop chance from the inventory, but I'm dumb still despite being at the Beardverse. (Also thanks for the reminder about using blood for drop rate, that little bit is helping.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Manuel Calavera posted:

How do you figure out your drop rate for a zone anyways? All I can see is my drop chance from the inventory, but I'm dumb still despite being at the Beardverse. (Also thanks for the reminder about using blood for drop rate, that little bit is helping.)

If you hover over the zone name at the top in the adventure tab it shows your drop rate for enemies and bosses.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, the default move iirc is to put 50/50 energy in Adv and Drop each, so it being below others makes since because it costs much more energy per bar, its still gotta be pretty large

Well, it seems with just a little bit of extra leveling in the advanced training has given me enough stats to at least idle in BDW now.

My boss drop rate is just 0.9% though, so I guess the question is whether I sit in the ITPOD all day for perk points or in BDW with my energy all in the NGU drop rate, slowly ticking it up.

Like it's there a general rule of thumb to not bother idling a zone for gear unless the drop rate is above 10% from bosses or something?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
NGU

Why can't I move my cards from page to page?

If I cant order and arrange the cards the way I want myself then you NEED auto sorter. IMO

Love the game, I will hang up an listen.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kin posted:

Like it's there a general rule of thumb to not bother idling a zone for gear unless the drop rate is above 10% from bosses or something?

2% I think

But yeah, idle itopod until you can get your drop rate up

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

explosivo posted:

If you hover over the zone name at the top in the adventure tab it shows your drop rate for enemies and bosses.

Bles, thank you for this info!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

ScottyJSno posted:

NGU

Why can't I move my cards from page to page?

If I cant order and arrange the cards the way I want myself then you NEED auto sorter. IMO

Love the game, I will hang up an listen.

you can grab a card by starting a drag, then either use the arrow keys or 1-9 keys to move to another page, then release on the target spot on the new page and it works just fine. I can also add something like in the inventory where hovering over the page buttons will also change the page, mid drag-and-drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I didn't even know you could re-order the cards I usually sit at 0 because they come in so fast you just cast the 3 good cards per day and tear up the rest