Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Probably an odd question, but if I was to pick something up again that ended up being abandoned about 4 years ago, d'ya reckon that gap is a bit too much to just repost the old updates on the test-poster and carry on from there? I was planning on doing that, but then I thought about it and considered that the time-frame might make it better to just start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How many updates are there?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

17 from the previous thread. I've got them all backed up already, but some stuff needs updating/replacing in them, mostly thanks to Tindeck no longer existing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a lot to expect someone to read to catch up with a thread that starts on update #18. I'd say start over and treat that as your backlog.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sounds good. I'll need to make a few extra adjustments for that, but it'll be easy to do. Thanks.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

At the start of 2018, Capcom released Monster Hunter World for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One with the PC version released later that year. The series had been over a decade old at this point, and the design team really wanted to take advantage of the power modern gaming consoles had. Many of the older elements were refined, zones were interconnected, and an amazing music score was created for it. The game would be an amazing hit, selling over five million copies in only the first three days.

If you're unfamiliar with the series, you play as a custom hunter who takes on various monsters with a plethora of weapons. Killing a beast lets you carve them for parts, allowing you to create more powerful weapons so you can take on more powerful monsters and repeat the process. There are tons of armor sets you can make, each with their own skills to help you customize your hunter. Combining your play style with your weapon of choice and armor skills is key to taking on some of the most difficult opponents. And the system only gets more additions as the game continues.

While I've done quite a bit in the game and enjoy researching the hell out of a game, I am certainly no master. There will be times when I'll be taking dumb hits or just swinging at the air. However, I'll be doing my best to show off a majority of this game if I can. I haven't played any of the previous games in the series, so I welcome commentary on any repeating monsters after we've encountered them. My brother (Who goes by Ice) will be co-commenting with me, and was the one who introduced me to the game.

*SPOILER POLICY*

Please do not discuss any monsters or big game mechanics till we've covered them in a video. After that, go to town on it. As mentioned, I haven't played earlier Monster Hunter games and would love feedback on changes from earlier in the series.

WEAPONS

There are 14 different weapons in the game and I'll be creating a short breakdown on each you can check out below. I'll be focusing on using Sword and Shield, Hammer, Bow and the Light Bowgun in this LP to show off some of their properties more.

Great Sword
Long Sword
Sword and Shield
Switch Axe
Charge Blade
Lance
Gun Lance
Bow
Light Bowgun
Heavy Bowgun
Insect Glaive
Dual Blades
Hunting Horn
Hammer

Audience Participation

First off, we'll need a name for our intrepid hunter! We'll be playing as a female to show off those armor sets, since my main's male. I'll tally up whichever names are most popular after 5 days from launching this thread. You have 16 characters to work with so no silly four letter limitations here!

Instead of having people select parts to build our heroine from, I'm offering a selection of templates. Whichever wins the vote in 5 days, I will try to match our character to!

Our heroine is known for:
1) Being as wild and ferocious as the monsters she hunts
2) Coming out of the roughest fights with her beauty still shining
3) Radiating an aura of fear and intimidation
4) Her goofy and carefree nature always letting her coming out on top
5) Taking all things in life seriously and with the utmost dedication

We don't travel alone! Cat-like Palico's assist our hunter in killing beasts, harvesting items, and by looking out for us! The selection process for this one's going to be a little different however. Post your pet cat pictures and their names so goons can vote on their favorite. The winning beastie will be modeled (to the best of my ability) as our sidekick!

What about Iceborn?

There's a new expansion that just came out for MHW on the PC. While I haven't purchased it yet, I would like to include it in the LP as well. Most of it seems to be post-game content so don't expect it till the end.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 16, 2020

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Picture Steve Irwin with a Buster Sword - Monster Hunter World LP

Your OP seems good to me, though your commentary in the video feels very scripted. Given that it was an intro, that may not apply to the actual LP.

I also had a question about my LP: Legal Dungeon has case files. Some of them quite lengthy-- iirc, the last one in the game is about 40 pages. I'm not quite sure what to do about showing them, honestly. I was going to just take screenshots of each page, but that seems like a bad idea for the really long ones. I could try cropping so that it's just the page (about 330x440) instead of the whole screenshot, so that they could potentially tile and would take less time to load. I could also just bite the bullet and separate them out into blockquotes, since each case file is composed of discrete reports and interviews, but while the actual word counts aren't crazy high (the pages are pretty small), it's still more than I wanna deal with if I don't have to.

Any advice on what the best approach may be? The tutorial case I'm using for my first post is really short, so I can throw that together in the different formats if examples would help.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

yamiaainferno posted:

I also had a question about my LP: Legal Dungeon has case files. Some of them quite lengthy-- iirc, the last one in the game is about 40 pages. I'm not quite sure what to do about showing them, honestly. I was going to just take screenshots of each page, but that seems like a bad idea for the really long ones. I could try cropping so that it's just the page (about 330x440) instead of the whole screenshot, so that they could potentially tile and would take less time to load. I could also just bite the bullet and separate them out into blockquotes, since each case file is composed of discrete reports and interviews, but while the actual word counts aren't crazy high (the pages are pretty small), it's still more than I wanna deal with if I don't have to.

Any advice on what the best approach may be? The tutorial case I'm using for my first post is really short, so I can throw that together in the different formats if examples would help.

I'd make them into separate SSLP test posts and give the link to the case file post when appropriate if the information takes up too much space. This way people can skip over them briefly if needed, and the post doesn't become a scrollbar buster.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2020

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Alright, good god. That was a lot of work, but I finally have an OP and a Test Post up for my Legal Dungeon LP.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One thing that jumps out at me is that you can probably cut down on the repeating portraits when transcribing dialogue. Like this

quote:

The investigations for the cases you'll be reviewing are already complete. This case file is short- only seven pages.

This is a great opportunity to flex your legal muscle and impress your team.

Your first position is in the Criminal Division - Team II, so you must have high expectations regarding your given assignments.

Unfortunately, there won't be any dynamic crime scenes where you reveal clues and chase down criminals.

Your job is to fill out the Investigation Verdicts to be sent to the prosecutor. These documents incorporate findings from our investigations and state our final verdict on the case.

So, as the Criminal Division II: Team Leader, it's your job to fill out this document with the information gathered through previous investigations.

does not have to be in 6 different parts when it could be in 2 or 3 like this

quote:

The investigations for the cases you'll be reviewing are already complete. This case file is short- only seven pages. This is a great opportunity to flex your legal muscle and impress your team.

Your first position is in the Criminal Division - Team II, so you must have high expectations regarding your given assignments. Unfortunately, there won't be any dynamic crime scenes where you reveal clues and chase down criminals. Your job is to fill out the Investigation Verdicts to be sent to the prosecutor.

These documents incorporate findings from our investigations and state our final verdict on the case. So, as the Criminal Division II: Team Leader, it's your job to fill out this document with the information gathered through previous investigations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

yamiaainferno posted:

Alright, good god. That was a lot of work, but I finally have an OP and a Test Post up for my Legal Dungeon LP.

The earliest updates are usually the heaviest in workload, and gifs usually exacerbate that. Looks good to me so far. The OP's a bit short in my eyes, but I'm long-winded as hell, so it's just personal opinion. It gets the point across quite fine though.

Following the above advice would also be good, too.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Kanfy posted:

One thing that jumps out at me is that you can probably cut down on the repeating portraits when transcribing dialogue.
That's fair. I broke it up how the game did, but I can definitely edit together the shorter statements.

The Flying Twybil posted:

The OP's a bit short in my eyes, but I'm long-winded as hell, so it's just personal opinion. It gets the point across quite fine though.
Yeah. Honestly I wasn't sure what else to put? I'll think about it a bit more though.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

OP 2: Electric Boogalo. A little longer and a lot neater.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will say that there is a case for lots of different lines if you think that there are natural breaks in the dialogue where a line break would be. Of course, I might be the only person who interprets line breaks this way, so :v: Give it a read yourself and see where the flow tells you to put line breaks.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Hey all

I was thinking of doing an LP for Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I've done some LPs before on other sites, so I do know what I am getting it to here. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything off with this one. In particular, I'm trying to find a point where the images aren't too big but the game text is still readable.

Test post here

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mr_stibbons posted:

Hey all

I was thinking of doing an LP for Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I've done some LPs before on other sites, so I do know what I am getting it to here. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything off with this one. In particular, I'm trying to find a point where the images aren't too big but the game text is still readable.

Test post here

Oh cool I love Planetfall.

I found the game text quite readable at the size you've picked. I'm reading on a desktop monitor. It will probably be too small to read on a mobile device, but given the game's UI is designed for desktops, that is probably not solvable. It looks good, just make sure to give it a proofread or two before posting, there's some typos.

"Assault bikes are the vanguard T2 combat unit, and will they’re about as awkward as they look."

"The bit but is that because of the bikes unique design,"

etc. Apart from that it looks good. I notice you elected to leave stagger mechanics and such unexplained, I assume so as not to bog down the first post with too much mechanics talk too soon. I think that's a good decision.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Idk where to ask this, but I'm going to be a patreon of Thornbrain because I love his content and he has a nice hefty backlog to sift through.

But I was wondering, is there a way to queue up a bunch of patreon videos to play them in order, or would I have to download the files and sort them into a playlist myself?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I don't think videos get uploaded to patreon itself? usually they're uploaded to youtube and set to "unlisted"

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I don't think videos get uploaded to patreon itself? usually they're uploaded to youtube and set to "unlisted"
Precisely because they're unlisted on YT, you can add them to your Watch Later playlist and they'll be in whatever order you've set.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Gratzi!

turol
Jul 31, 2017
There's a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic LP by Doc M . He's doing light side so I asked if I should show some of the dark side content. He said yes so here it is: SWKotOR Darkside Playthrough Update 1. Comments on the technical aspects before I post in the thread proper, please.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Good job with the DarkSide LPing, Turol. Look forward to seeing it in the thread. Technical aspects look fine to me.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Thanks for posting Turol. Not sure if it's my resolution or what, but those images are TINY.

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Heir03 posted:

Thanks for posting Turol. Not sure if it's my resolution or what, but those images are TINY.

The archive says max width is 900 pixels. Doc M's are the same size. My character icons are also the same 64x64 as Doc's. In fact I reused some of his to save effort and bandwidth. I think things just look small because the GUI doesn't scale and the text becomes tiny when the images are scaled. To make it bigger I'd have to either manually copy-paste a differently scaled text which is :effort: or play in a smaller resolution which would look either incredibly fuzzy or incredible small on my 1440p monitor.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I personally think its best to play in a smaller resolution closer to the way things were when the game was made on somewhat older titles like this. YMMV of course, but I think it's just a 'when in Rome' thing. The more retro a game is, the more blockiness I generally expect as part of the game's charm. When the text is small enough that it's difficult to read, my opinion is that is a more important factor than sharpness of the graphics.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Strategic Sage posted:

I personally think its best to play in a smaller resolution closer to the way things were when the game was made on somewhat older titles like this. YMMV of course, but I think it's just a 'when in Rome' thing. The more retro a game is, the more blockiness I generally expect as part of the game's charm. When the text is small enough that it's difficult to read, my opinion is that is a more important factor than sharpness of the graphics.
Yeah, I'd recommend dropping the resolution to 1024x768 or thereabouts. That should keep the text readable when resizing to 900px wide.

The problem with the UI in KotOR is that it was originally designed for the Xbox, i.e. 640x480, so it ends up looking even smaller at higher resolutions than it would be in other PC games from that era. Hell, people were already complaining about this at launch.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Are there no mods for the game to fix that? IIRC KotOR didn't come with a modding engine like NWN did, but I know a lot of popular BioWare games got modded anyways.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Dropping the resolution would make for nicer screenshots but would make playing for me less fun and I don't want to do that. The alternative would be to gently caress around with the widescreen patch and associated UI scaling mods which looks like a lot of :effort:. Plus I'd have to redo all the current screenshots...

Doc M, it's your thread. Are you ok with me posting this as it is or should I just scrap it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

turol posted:

Dropping the resolution would make for nicer screenshots but would make playing for me less fun and I don't want to do that. The alternative would be to gently caress around with the widescreen patch and associated UI scaling mods which looks like a lot of :effort:. Plus I'd have to redo all the current screenshots...

Doc M, it's your thread. Are you ok with me posting this as it is or should I just scrap it?

If you're making an SSLP then surely the aim is to make the screenshots look nice? I get that you want to enjoy playing the game but you're also doing this for an audience. As much as you will be comfortable reading everything on your 1440p monitor, the screenshots that you're providing are reduced in size and so everything else has shrunk.

You could just post things as is and people can put up with it. I agree with Doc M in dropping the resolution, especially if you're reducing the size of the image anyway. Unless you can find something to fix the UI scaling.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

turol posted:

Well, as it is, I can barely see the subtitles in that first post, and I'm on a big 4K screen. As such, I'd highly recommend redoing the screenshots for the sake of the audience, but I understand if you don't want to because nobody likes playing through the Endar Spire and Taris.

If you wish to post it in the thread, I'm not gonna stop you but I really, really recommend you consider dropping the rendering resolution for future updates at the very least.

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Doc M posted:

Well, as it is, I can barely see the subtitles in that first post, and I'm on a big 4K screen. As such, I'd highly recommend redoing the screenshots for the sake of the audience, but I understand if you don't want to because nobody likes playing through the Endar Spire and Taris.

If you wish to post it in the thread, I'm not gonna stop you but I really, really recommend you consider dropping the rendering resolution for future updates at the very least.

I don't want to do that because it makes my playing significantly worse. This was never intended to be a "real" LP, just some side content. I accept that this makes for bad LP content and won't post it. Best of luck for your LP. I do however intend to post a screenshot of one specific moment in the LP when you get to it to show the most :moreevil: DS option.

VirtuteStreams
Dec 23, 2019
I took some advice from my last test post, ditched the webcam and thought I'd try a smaller game this time around.

A Short Hike LP test

I've added a second video to the test post. Let me know if it's okay to post as a thread and I'll make graphics etc :)

VirtuteStreams fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 28, 2020

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
After some chats in the dune thread, I was going to do an LP of the Dune board game and hopefully show off this game, hoping to emulate the Twilight Struggle LP from 2014.

I did an OP, and was going to do a second post OP with the rules: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155979

any feedback would be good!

edit - and a rules post I was planning for the second post to be: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155981

Horsebanger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 31, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Horsebanger posted:

After some chats in the dune thread, I was going to do an LP of the Dune board game and hopefully show off this game, hoping to emulate the Twilight Struggle LP from 2014.

I did an OP, and was going to do a second post OP with the rules: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155979

any feedback would be good!

edit - and a rules post I was planning for the second post to be: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155981

Looks fun. The old LP of that boardgame is what got me to read the Dune books in the first place.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A worthy crosspost from TGRS:

Fluffdaddy posted:

It’s February, the shortest month of the year! Of course, that means it’s Black History Month. This year in TGRS, we would like to try something different.

[...]

So this year we want to help raise money for the Transwomen of Color Collective, a nonprofit group run by and for Transwomen. They have a fund that helps women get off the street or help them escape abusive situations.

Our goal is to raise $3000 dollars for the organization. Goons have been extremely generous with their money over the years, so let’s do something awesome for one of the most marginalized communities in the United States.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I saw a request for Control recently and got the hankering to play through it again, with the added level of detail that I always get when I Let's Play a game instead of just playing it. However, there's so much detail in the game that's easy to miss or forget about that I don't want to spend too much time in the videos reading documents, so I'm putting in a bit of extra work to present the documents in what will hopefully be a more accessible format. While this was mostly a test to see whether I could find a workflow I can live with and get the presentation I want, I'm interested in any kind of feedback on the format, and particularly, if moderators have an issue with the spoiler policy. This is a very unique game with regard to black bars across text, so I want to account for that and not find myself running a thread with a trail of probations in its wake.

Baby, baby, baby, yeah. Let's [REDACTED] Control

Control is a game from Remedy Entertainment, the developers of Alan Wake and Quantum Break, and carries on their proud tradition of strange, cinematic games where anything can happen. In this game, we play as Jesse Faden, an ordinary girl only in the sense that she comes from a town named Ordinary, as she searches the offices of the Federal Bureau of Control for information about what happened to her brother, and possibly also what happened to her. It's not easy, though, because the FBC is essentially the SCP Wiki brought to life. It's an organization dedicated to rounding up and containing supernatural objects, and covering up the existence of the supernatural in the outside world, while searching for any use they can get from the affected objects. We get to explore the expansive world from this perspective, while fighting a malevolent resonance that infects anyone who hears its repetitive chant.

The game has a pretty solid atmosphere and sense of humor, including redactions. LOTS of redactions. The word that describes this is redacted. Most of the insight into the story and background comes from documents that we'll find lying around, many of which are covered in black bars. I plan to screenshot and transcribe them all, including my best guess as to the contents of the redacted portions, but it's all speculation. I'll also explore everything I can and try to help you, the viewer, put together the pieces of each puzzle. Let's see whether we can plumb the depths of the FBC's mysteries together.

Given the heavy emphasis on redactions, I expect a good deal of the commentary in the thread to lean on spoilers for humorous purposes. As such, I request that the moderators relax the "spoiler tags for spoilers only" rule in these cases. However, that will admittedly make it difficult to determine whether there are actual spoilers behind the black bars, so please try to avoid discussing anything that hasn't been been explained in the videos, especially things that will appear later in the game. If you must draw connections between things that we've seen to foreshadow things that we haven't, please make it clear that the spoiler bars are actual spoilers rather than a redaction joke. We don't need to spill the beans that (actual spoiler) Ahti the janitor is some kind of ancient god communing with the forces at work in the Oldest House just because someone thought they were going to see an innocent punchline.

Join me in Game Informer's top game of 2019, and the game that contains the Best Scene of 2019, which is definitely the second best scene in this game.

Part 1: The Federal Bureau of Control Polsy Youtube Documents

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
LP mods let the individual LPers dictate how they want to work a spoiler policy and go from there as far as enforcing it. So reading your test post: no problem, sounds good!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Baby, baby, baby, yeah. Let's [REDACTED] Control

Oh Hell Yeah. When I heard about control I was super excited. I love SCP Wiki and was super bummed to see that no one had done an LP of it. The video seems good, though kind of dark in parts. Like, when you were reading the "no modern technology" sign, it looked like you were just staring at a black wall on my screen. May want to crank up the brightness, at least in dark sections.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

yamiaainferno posted:

Oh Hell Yeah. When I heard about control I was super excited. I love SCP Wiki and was super bummed to see that no one had done an LP of it. The video seems good, though kind of dark in parts. Like, when you were reading the "no modern technology" sign, it looked like you were just staring at a black wall on my screen. May want to crank up the brightness, at least in dark sections.

I did consider that, but the brightness setting in the menu refers to three symbols and I only ever saw two, even when I cranked the brightness up to full. I'll see what happens if I adjust it in post for this video, and bump it up a bit in the game options. It shouldn't be THAT dark, though. It looks like the encoding process may have made the video darker than it was, comparing the same frame each step of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

yamiaainferno posted:

Like, when you were reading the "no modern technology" sign, it looked like you were just staring at a black wall on my screen.
It didn't appear nearly that dark on my screen. It was kinda dark, yes, but the signs were still perfectly readable.