Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Watched the 2nd episode of picard last night

as has been noted in the thread, ultra tal shiar is such a loving stupid idea just like ultra section 31 was a loving stupid idea

I like the idea of an anti-synth contingent and it would have been cool if that was centered more in federation policy as a response to the synth freak out on mars without the cloak and dagger poo poo. They even could have kept some of the Romulan angle by saying something like "we're working with the romulans to stamp out synths because the synths also hosed up the evacuation plans and they are pissed about that"

I did think the synth flashbacks were well done and cool but that is mainly because it reminded me a lot of the expanse and didn't feel star treky at all

that's the basic deal, this doesn't feel like Trek and the times it is decent are frustrating for the times it sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Picard gets right to the heart of what I say about Data all the time: Data is loving terrifying. He can kill anybody in a second with his bare hands and he can take over the ship and does all the time. If I'm just a regular dude who works on the Enterprise D in like the loving whale tank area the second there's a Data goes crazy episode I'm getting my whole family off that thing.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ScrubLeague posted:

watched the 2012 les miserables because we were talking about the book here, what an exhausting movie.

the revolution stuff was all pretty good, but then marius goes and gets married to the rich girl and gets rich himself, and then the movie just sort of ends. i know that's basically how the source goes too, but it seemed like the last hour just zipped by after the first two crawled, and then it was over.,

russell crowe was a p weak rear end javert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxk4mveLCw

the man is no philip quast

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

like valjean, mayo pete did bread crimes

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Yadoppsi posted:

How is Joe as a writer these days? The OG trilogy was a little shakey craft wise but it feels like each of the 3 standalone was better written than the last. I havent read his YA fiction or more recent short story collection.

I have the same history with him, all the OG/standalones, but none of the other stuff. The new one is unappealing, but it's hard to say bad.

That I fell off from it at all kinda gets at the heart of it. I couldn't put down the original trilogy, it was some of the most I was nailed to a fictional world since the Baroque Cycle. But I came at them when the first trilogy was fully done and I was able to get entirely where things were going right away. I don't think ALH is bad or anything, but, much like when I got into The Blade Itself the very first time, I kinda had to get up to speed, and could only manage it because I knew from word of mouth that it really does get going.

Maybe I'm just too cynical at life in general nowadays, but not having that, and also having to wait for so long between them, even knowing that all 3 are written, I'd really rather just wait. I don't think that's Abercrombie's fault, and certainly not his writing's, so much as the way I consume media has changed a whole lot.

That said, at the same time that I really like the way a lot of the writing worked, there is nothing in the first half-ish of ALH that even remotely approaches how successful Logen was in TBI. I'm not sure that's a fair standard to hold successful characters to, though.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Tighclops posted:

That Picard gives a poo poo about his former crew is probably the easiest thing to buy about the show so far I don't understand what the problem is

Seriously. RLM went turbo nerd on freaking out about something so stupid and not even true

Data saves Picard’s life multiple times in TNG. RLM “OMG PICARD DUN CARE ABOUT DATA WTF IS THIS RIP STAR TREK”

And yeah, the show is not perfect, but that was never the argument

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's RLM and why is everybody on this forum traumatized by it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Picard gets right to the heart of what I say about Data all the time: Data is loving terrifying. He can kill anybody in a second with his bare hands and he can take over the ship and does all the time. If I'm just a regular dude who works on the Enterprise D in like the loving whale tank area the second there's a Data goes crazy episode I'm getting my whole family off that thing.

Remember the time that roboticist dipshit wanted to take Data apart to figure him out and make a disposable workforce out of hyper quick and strong megagenius thinking robots whose two main hobbies would be, assuming they’re like Data, writing poetry about their cats and shoving whatever brain chips they come across into their noggins? I’m sure enslaving a couple million of them would have gone great.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I got it, nevermind. You guys could just not watch the youtube talking heads if you don't want to get mad about the fans ruining it for the smart television discourser.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's been a while since I watched TNG and even longer since I watched the TNG movies, but I remember Picard and Data being pretty close by the end of the TNG run. Some really iconic TNG episodes have Picard going to bat for Data in a way that, sure, he would have for any of the other main characters, but in a way that's particularly affected by Data's status as an android--I'm thinking especially of Measure of a Man here. By the end of the TV show they weren't like best friends or father and son or anything but Picard is clearly fond of Data, and the movies really play up their connection, especially in First Contact and Nemesis--I think First Contact particularly so because they become basically the only two sentient beings known to have come back from being Borgified, and Picard stays behind on the ship at the end to save Data specifically for that reason.

I haven't seen Picard so I have no idea how they've handled this relationship or why they've made it important.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

mysterious frankie posted:

Remember the time that roboticist dipshit wanted to take Data apart to figure him out and make a disposable workforce out of hyper quick and strong megagenius thinking robots whose two main hobbies would be, assuming they’re like Data, writing poetry about their cats and shoving whatever brain chips they come across into their noggins? I’m sure enslaving a couple million of them would have gone great.

don’t forget doing holodeck simulations while cosplaying as Sherlock Holmes

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Oh I got it, nevermind. You guys could just not watch the youtube talking heads if you don't want to get mad about the fans ruining it for the smart television discourser.

We like to laugh at people on the internet though.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u guys sounded mad

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies if you weren't mad, but you still don't have to think about the youtube old men

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
why is anyone surprise that the romulans of all people have a super turbo secret police, that's literally their entire thing

still not as ridiculous as US foreign policy yet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

These super secret organizations just feel like lame rear end lazy writing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I AM MAD

On

Line

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

vyelkin posted:

It's been a while since I watched TNG and even longer since I watched the TNG movies, but I remember Picard and Data being pretty close by the end of the TNG run. Some really iconic TNG episodes have Picard going to bat for Data in a way that, sure, he would have for any of the other main characters, but in a way that's particularly affected by Data's status as an android--I'm thinking especially of Measure of a Man here. By the end of the TV show they weren't like best friends or father and son or anything but Picard is clearly fond of Data, and the movies really play up their connection, especially in First Contact and Nemesis--I think First Contact particularly so because they become basically the only two sentient beings known to have come back from being Borgified, and Picard stays behind on the ship at the end to save Data specifically for that reason.

I haven't seen Picard so I have no idea how they've handled this relationship or why they've made it important.

Eh, I feel Picard did that both because Data is on his crew and it's the right thing to do rather than affection for Data as a person. Picard's very much that thinking guy that doesn't let his biases get in the way of the right thing to do. So supporting Data is right even if they aren't close friends or whatever. As for the movies that is probably what the writers drew from most but they were so bad I scrubbed them from my memory to not let them ruin the good TNG tv show.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Heroes is excellent, First Law trilogy was good but yeah got somewhat patchy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mysterious frankie posted:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

sebmojo posted:

The Heroes is excellent, First Law trilogy was good but yeah got somewhat patchy.

The Heroes was definitely the high point of what I read, yeah. Just such immaculate character work and you could loving smell that book. It's the kind of thing that makes you forgive the earlier patchiness for how much worldbuilding it did in service of allowing such a tight narrative later on.

It'd probably be worth another go through, though I bet the writing especially on the early stuff is a lot more stilted than I remember, and I'll probably have to anyway to get into the swing of the new trilogy, but that's a plan for 2022.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Doesn't Data literally die to save Picard's life in the last movie he's in?

Honestly, the best thing I can say about YouTube nerd groupthink incubators like RLM is that at least they aren't Nazis.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It loving kills me how many nerds are just straight up nazis

like how do you grow up watching and being so into Star Trek that you memorize all kinds of dumb poo poo like how the warp core works but ignore all the "in the future we don't use money or do racism anymore"

It's one thing when the people making it do that because they're clueless wealthy assholes and it's expected from them, but the people whose only responsibility was to sit their and absorb the stories, what the gently caress?

I know you're not supposed to like be affected by this poo poo but to me it's maddening sorry for venting

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Tighclops posted:

It loving kills me how many nerds are just straight up nazis

like how do you grow up watching and being so into Star Trek that you memorize all kinds of dumb poo poo like how the warp core works but ignore all the "in the future we don't use money or do racism anymore"

It's one thing when the people making it do that because they're clueless wealthy assholes and it's expected from them, but the people whose only responsibility was to sit their and absorb the stories, what the gently caress?

I know you're not supposed to like be affected by this poo poo but to me it's maddening sorry for venting

Watch Renegadecut's new video on Rick Berman if you want to feel downright wrathful at someone making GBS threads over what Star Trek should have meant.

I shouldn't have, it got me mad as poo poo, but you get a bit of relief from just how awesome a lot of the other people around were, which I kinda knew, and a lot about Ira Behr being great, which I did not.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

behr loving owns

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a real freak’s freak

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
purple beard guy seemed pretty alright, I like Renegade Cut's videos even if I don't 100% agree with him all the time (lol he liked Ad Astra lmao)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Doesn't Data literally die to save Picard's life in the last movie he's in?

Honestly, the best thing I can say about YouTube nerd groupthink incubators like RLM is that at least they aren't Nazis.

The fact that they’re acting like the movies should inform the plot is one of the most damning points of Picard

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think the most damning point of picard is multiple long rear end scenes where the villains explain their evil plans with lots of veiled threats and boring acting holy poo poo that sucked

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm gonna watch picard and love it just to piss this thread off now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

I like Renegade Cut's videos even if I don't 100% agree with him all the time (lol he liked Ad Astra lmao)

making a video just to specifically poo poo on Tulsi Gabbard seemed wasteful and gratuitous

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Danny8bit/status/1221956685108895745?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why is eggman so skinny i would never have guessed that was a sonic the hedgehog movie clip from that thumbnail

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

coathat posted:

The fact that they’re acting like the movies should inform the plot is one of the most damning points of Picard

The thing is, Picard is at the end of All Good Things.. now chummy with the crew- he sits down at their card game. The idea that he has no relationship with Data or is strictly professional with him is far off, even in the show.

Dreylad posted:

i think the most damning point of picard is multiple long rear end scenes where the villains explain their evil plans with lots of veiled threats and boring acting holy poo poo that sucked

There were a couple of scenes where picard just kinda meets with someone he knows but you don't, and you think there's supposed to be some big character moment which implies this was originally supposed to be someone we knew before. The big offender is the doctor scene which makes little sense as it is(why some rando from the Stargazer?), it makes way more sense if it's Crusher with the sort of complex personal business the two had going on. She seems way more likely to be someone that Picard would just have to ask to give him the clear to rejoin.

They also decided to lampshade not having the old TNG crew in a bizarre way- i would've been fine with it had he not mentioned them, but Picard dismissing them out of hand also makes little sense.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Some Guy TT posted:

why is eggman so skinny i would never have guessed that was a sonic the hedgehog movie clip from that thumbnail

movie probably ends with a defeated and dejected robotnik binging on ice cream and revealing he's gotten fat as a sequel hook

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peanut President posted:

movie probably ends with a defeated and dejected robotnik binging on ice cream and revealing he's gotten fat as a sequel hook

iirc the rumours go this is basically what happens, possibly getting fatter over the course of the movie as he binge-eats to cope with his failures

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB-l1ijtRoo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

andy gill RIP

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU