Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something...but tools not included doesn't really spawn anything. It generates a new map with the selected options. How are you using tools not included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Hydrogen vents can spawn on any map type, but they are not one of the guaranteed geysers so you may be out of luck. Hydrogen vents don't put out a lot of gas (and they do so at 500C) making hydrogen one of the more difficult things to obtain in large quantities. Your options are pretty much burning through water with the electrolyzer, giving you more oxygen than you can use.

This is why late game no one uses hydrogen generators, it is simply a more precious commodity than other fuels.

Edit: On average a water geyser has more than twice the hydrogen output than a hydrogen vent does even with the terrible conversion rate of the electrolyzer.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 1, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm wondering this too, since I used Tools not Included to spawn one and it isn't there, along with the cold slush that was supposed to be. All the poo poo that makes heat and poison spawned no problem though!
There's a mod that lets you customize geysers (with out-of-game JSON) and you can spawn/delete them in Sandbox if you're frustrated, but have you searched the whole map? Does your seed correspond to the one you initialized with? I'm not assuming you made a mistake but just a bit of the blind leading the blind.

One thing I learned in sandbox is that spawning a geyser in the same place seems to always give you the same output. I'm guessing this ties into how the RNG works with the absolute tile position.

Smiling Demon posted:

Hydrogen vents can spawn on any map type, but they are not one of the guaranteed geysers so you may be out of luck. Hydrogen vents don't put out a lot of gas (and they do so at 500C) making hydrogen one of the more difficult things to obtain in large quantities. Your options are pretty much burning through water with the electrolyzer, giving you more oxygen than you can use.

This is why late game no one uses hydrogen generators, it is simply a more precious commodity than other fuels.

Edit: On average a water geyser has more than twice the hydrogen output than a hydrogen vent does even with the terrible conversion rate of the electrolyzer.
Good to know. I suppose I could get a head start on Oxylite refinement but I'm a loooong way from rockets. You're also right that I'll probably want to wind down hydrogen power systems as I get closer. I've already started my dig downward so I guess Big Oil wins this round.

Say I found 500ºC hydrogen: Doesn't the generator delete 100% of the heat on the input product? Carnot is losslessly spinning in his grave.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 1, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah everything else lines up with the map the site provided for the seed, but the hydrogen vent and slush geyser that were supposed to be near me didn't spawn.

AKZ posted:

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something...but tools not included doesn't really spawn anything. It generates a new map with the selected options. How are you using tools not included?

It gave me a seed that I plugged into the game, and everything is where the site said it should be except those two features.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Look for lines of four neutronium tiles, then use the selective destroy mod (mandatory for sandbox imo) to delete everything but the column second from the left. You should find that hydrogen vent somewhere. If you don't want to use sandbox mode you can dig very carefully.

Is there something I'm missing for the soda fountain? I have the water hookup and a stocked canister filler but it's not getting supplied?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Look for lines of four neutronium tiles, then use the selective destroy mod (mandatory for sandbox imo) to delete everything but the column second from the left. You should find that hydrogen vent somewhere. If you don't want to use sandbox mode you can dig very carefully.

Is there something I'm missing for the soda fountain? I have the water hookup and a stocked canister filler but it's not getting supplied?

I DID see a line of 4 tiles of neutronium, but the top was covered totally in solid materials. I'll look again tomorrow and see. Is it possible to start sandbox up if you didn't turn it on in your initial startup?

Griz
May 21, 2001

it's in the menu somewhere, just save before doing it

also the temperature view makes it way easier to spot the neutronium, and painting with a gas will reveal the vent without destroying it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I DID see a line of 4 tiles of neutronium, but the top was covered totally in solid materials. I'll look again tomorrow and see. Is it possible to start sandbox up if you didn't turn it on in your initial startup?
Save before you enable it then revert and it won't mark you as a cheater. Most geysers / vents / volcanos are completely buried and if you miss the neutronium line that forms their base someone gonna get hurt real bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Save before you enable it then revert and it won't mark you as a cheater. Most geysers / vents / volcanos are completely buried and if you miss the neutronium line that forms their base someone gonna get hurt real bad.

I did not know this, I assumed they were all open and visible, got it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone have any tips for the caustic biome? Based on temperature the next one down probably connects to the oil biome or something hot and pissed off, so I figure it's better to go through there than breaking the barrier between whatever that is and a cooler space. Clearing it without sandbox is a really tedious exercise in double gas filters but maybe I just let it all mix since I have atmo suits now?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 1, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m deeply lazy so I never bother being careful with the air in the caustic biome. Chlorine is harmless, surprisingly, and it’ll just sink to the bottom of your base eventually anyway.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, the Caustic biome is directly harmless to dupes, breach it with impunity.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

Anyone have any tips for the caustic biome? Based on temperature the next one down probably connects to the oil biome or something hot and pissed off, so I figure it's better to go through there than breaking the barrier between whatever that is and a cooler space. Clearing it without sandbox is a really tedious exercise in double gas filters but maybe I just let it all mix since I have atmo suits now?

Once you have a suit dock up, you no longer need to give a single gently caress about pressure or atmosphere composition on the other side, or for the most part temperature. I know eventually I am going to want to cycle my atmosphere through filters to get control of the hydrogen at least, and I might as well just store everything when I do it, but for now I am just dumping everything I am not immediately using anywhere outside the hab module. It’s up to about 10kg/tile, and I hadn’t thought about it till now but given how long that took I will need to have a better solution by cycle 1500ish or all of my vents will back up.

So yeah, just dig that poo poo out!

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

It’s an exploit, but you can identify a geyser with the priority tool even if you haven’t dug it out. Select the !! Alert priority then drag the tool over the geyser. If you mouse over the alert message on the upper left, it’ll tell you what geyser it is. Easier than switching to sandbox mode.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Friendly reminder that a shutoff with a element sensor directly in front of it is a filter that uses 0W (10, but like the dock it doesn’t actually use it) vs 120. The only downside is that you need to keep the flow constant or the shutoff can bypass. You just use a big loop though and 99% of the shutoff risks are mitigated.

You can also do that mechanical filter with the bridges but you have to prime each one and I was always too lazy about that.

--

Seems to be up to power now, ~2kw sustained. ~300 tame shine bugs active in my base in total right now. Not sure if it's going to rise any more than that, I'll keep an eye on it.

FPS wasn't noticeably affected by it, still holding between 20-30FPS I'd say, but there is a lot going on so it's not a slowdown from the shine bugs specifically. My savegame loads are taking longer and longer.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 1, 2020

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Welp, spend my entire day off doing nothing but playing this game a bunch. Started on that volcano asteroid since the modifers given were frozen core and subsurface oceans, figured that could potentially make a hilarious combo. One thing I noticed is that there was a big biome chunk with lava and 1000+ Celsius temperatures below my base with the heat slowly creeping up as there was no abyssalite border around it. Managed to insulate my base as the polluted water deposits below started turning to steam and later tried digging down there, only to find out that it's hot enough where even environment suits aren't enough. At least I closed off the upper part of the superhot biome with insulation, so that heat is gonna stay (mostly) trapped.

I do have a quick question though: How useful are cool steam vents for using steam turbines on? I got two on the map, with one boxed in so I was thinking of just putting a turbine down on top of the box of steam, and then may pipe the resulting water into an electrolyzer. Shove that hydrogen into a AETN I found, use that to cool the oxygen and supply my base with that. Anything that might interfere with that plan or will I be good?

Also, haven't found that frozen core yet, gonna have to keep digging deeper. Part of me is curious what would happen if I dropped that magma from above in there...

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Greader posted:

Welp, spend my entire day off doing nothing but playing this game a bunch. Started on that volcano asteroid since the modifers given were frozen core and subsurface oceans, figured that could potentially make a hilarious combo. One thing I noticed is that there was a big biome chunk with lava and 1000+ Celsius temperatures below my base with the heat slowly creeping up as there was no abyssalite border around it. Managed to insulate my base as the polluted water deposits below started turning to steam and later tried digging down there, only to find out that it's hot enough where even environment suits aren't enough. At least I closed off the upper part of the superhot biome with insulation, so that heat is gonna stay (mostly) trapped.

I do have a quick question though: How useful are cool steam vents for using steam turbines on? I got two on the map, with one boxed in so I was thinking of just putting a turbine down on top of the box of steam, and then may pipe the resulting water into an electrolyzer. Shove that hydrogen into a AETN I found, use that to cool the oxygen and supply my base with that. Anything that might interfere with that plan or will I be good?

Also, haven't found that frozen core yet, gonna have to keep digging deeper. Part of me is curious what would happen if I dropped that magma from above in there...

Cool steam vents are not useful for steam turbines. They fall below the minimum temperature needed (125C IIRC). You could heat the steam and then use it, but you can do that with any water source.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You might be able to do something silly like loop the turbine output water through an aquatuner inside the steam chamber, but you'd have to packetize the output and also loop it back through twice (110C + 14C < 125C the turbine needs). Plus you'd have to keep it all finely balanced with enough steam pressure to feed the turbine (~2kg/tile), but under 5kg/tile so the vent doesn't overpressure, so plenty of automation and sensors are necessary.

I love it, do it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Get the mod that lets you calculate average geyser output. Build a big pool underneath with a gold amalgam water pump and some insulated pipe and power leading out. See if you can find another clean water source to make that output average a whole number in Kg/sec and pipe that into the same tank.

That water tank can now support the same whole number of electrolyzers. If you install Piped Output this will be power positive and way less annoying to extract gas from since it saves you needless entropy. Eventually you will need more power or somewhere for all that oxygen to go, so build some buffer tanks while times are good.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Mazz posted:

Seems to be up to power now, ~2kw sustained. ~300 tame shine bugs active in my base in total right now. Not sure if it's going to rise any more than that, I'll keep an eye on it.

FPS wasn't noticeably affected by it, still holding between 20-30FPS I'd say, but there is a lot going on so it's not a slowdown from the shine bugs specifically. My savegame loads are taking longer and longer.

Nice, I really thought your fps would take a bigger hit.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

My latest attempt at sour gas. Yet another successful design by yours truly. :downs:

Edit: I did however succeed in making a really inefficient petro boiler:

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 1, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Did some digging and ended up finding those geysers, thanks for the tips. The slush one puts out relatively cold polluted water though, I'm guessing that is due to the surrounding temperature being so high is just melts as soon as it comes out?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Did some digging and ended up finding those geysers, thanks for the tips. The slush one puts out relatively cold polluted water though, I'm guessing that is due to the surrounding temperature being so high is just melts as soon as it comes out?

The freezing temperature of pwater is something like -14C, so it didn’t come out solid. I don’t think there is an equivalent to a geyser (liquid) or vent (gas) which produces solids. Even volcanoes put out liquid rock.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I finally found the toggle to change the temperature into Fahrenheit

Thank god. I had no idea what the temps were

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

The freezing temperature of pwater is something like -14C, so it didn’t come out solid. I don’t think there is an equivalent to a geyser (liquid) or vent (gas) which produces solids. Even volcanoes put out liquid rock.

The tooltip said it produces crushed ice as a material, so I was wondering.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The tooltip said it produces crushed ice as a material, so I was wondering.

Huh, that’s fuckin’ weird. According to the wiki Crushed Ice melts into just water, not pwater.

You can definitely chill down the area around a slush geyser enough that the pwater freezes as it emerges from the geyser; this would let you use conveyor rails and a sweeper arm to move it around, but if you leave it liquid a pump and pipes are cheaper, lower-tech, and just as effective.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Huh, that’s fuckin’ weird. According to the wiki Crushed Ice melts into just water, not pwater.

You can definitely chill down the area around a slush geyser enough that the pwater freezes as it emerges from the geyser; this would let you use conveyor rails and a sweeper arm to move it around, but if you leave it liquid a pump and pipes are cheaper, lower-tech, and just as effective.

So I could utilize this to pump cold water through the base for cooling purposes, yeah? I guess I would use insulated pipes to get it to the base, then radiant for running through the rooms, then insulated to loop it back and let it rechill?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I could utilize this to pump cold water through the base for cooling purposes, yeah? I guess I would use insulated pipes to get it to the base, then radiant for running through the rooms, then insulated to loop it back and let it rechill?

Yeah that’s the basic idea, but you probably can get away with using Granite for normal liquid pipes; there will be plenty of interchange but not enough to bring your habitation area down to almost freezing, which is what Radiant pipes will do over a long enough time horizon.

Pwater makes a pretty good thermal interchange medium pretty much all game, until you are looking to create extremely cold or extremely hot areas for things like liquid hydrogen condensation or boiling crude into petroleum (if you can automate and regulate this it takes no dupe labor and yields 100% of the mass as petroleum, neither of which can be said about the refinery machine).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

"Cool slush" is a misnomer that they probably never changed after failing to make it spawn crushed polluted ice, or realizing that it was a pain to make the player deal with solids.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So if you put toilet water into the water distillery it will come out with food poisoning germs?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sieving is not distilling; it's filtration. Everyone makes that mistake early.

Don't worry; you can kill germs by sticking a liquid tepidizer in your main drinking source :haw:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Sieving is not distilling; it's filtration. Everyone makes that mistake early.

Don't worry; you can kill germs by sticking a liquid tepidizer in your main drinking source :haw:

rude to call your duplicants "germs"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
did my first rime game, kept my farms warm just fine but didn't build enough of them :negative:

Is it just me or is it, ironically, harder to find sleet wheat on Rime?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

did my first rime game, kept my farms warm just fine but didn't build enough of them :negative:

Is it just me or is it, ironically, harder to find sleet wheat on Rime?

I've had Rime spawns with no sleet wheat at all.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Rime can be a race to find sleet wheat. Check the frozen biomes. There are usually at least a seed or two. I had really good luck with a nosh bean/pincha farm style with a small secondary sleet wheat farm for backup.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's no sleet wheat in rime unless you rolled "glaciers" or "frozen core" modifier

e: also, hatches survive down to -30 and coal is a great source of early heat. make an insulated, coal powered space heated lice farm, then insulate the rest of your base before your water freezes, then beeline for hatch ranching. there's a ton of coal available early but you'll probably want a sustainable source sooner rather than later.

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 2, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Truga posted:

there's no sleet wheat in rime unless you rolled "glaciers" or "frozen core" modifier

e: also, hatches survive down to -30 and coal is a great source of early heat. make an insulated, coal powered space heated lice farm, then insulate the rest of your base before your water freezes, then beeline for hatch ranching. there's a ton of coal available early but you'll probably want a sustainable source sooner rather than later.

You could just have checked before posting this.

Rime's definitely got sleet wheat in most maps.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Very late but hydrogen spawns on Terra, my current map has a vent right off my main base area. Between that and spom I am using hydrogen power exclusively, but I am not power hungry yet. Just broke the oil biome and started to set up plastics.

I have a 6*4 room that has a liquid res, a seive and now a storage bin holding bleach stone, and just a bit of it off gassing is enough to clean the germs in the res. Sure more pop in when I pump more in, but it's pretty quick.

I took advice from further back and just decided not to worry about it, my water pump pulls from a different source, and this germ water feeds the spom and other stuff, and food poisoning isnt an issue

I'll switch to the cool steam vent stuff later on, once I make the transition off meal lice, but finding that difficult.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Turns out I now have more power than I know what to do with as I'm expanding rather than refining lately. I've found the oil biome but not ready to crack it open, but I have enough surplus oxygen and power to get a huge headstart on Oxylite.

What's the best way to rot surplus food for Pokeshell farming? I tried putting a ration box in polluted water but dupes would take mushrooms out as fast as they went in. My current setup is a critter feeder with mushrooms that nothing in the room will eat, then the same sweeper that keeps the stable free of eggs moves it to another feeder when it rots and falls out. Seems to be working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Turns out I now have more power than I know what to do with as I'm expanding rather than refining lately. I've found the oil biome but not ready to crack it open, but I have enough surplus oxygen and power to get a huge headstart on Oxylite.

What's the best way to rot surplus food for Pokeshell farming? I tried putting a ration box in polluted water but dupes would take mushrooms out as fast as they went in. My current setup is a critter feeder with mushrooms that nothing in the room will eat, then the same sweeper that keeps the stable free of eggs moves it to another feeder when it rots and falls out. Seems to be working?

They eat polluted dirt, just put them in with ethanol distillers or sieves.