Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I've just finished my NG and NG+1 playthroughs. My previous From experience was tanking like gently caress in DS2, rolling like mad in DS3, never parrying and always summoning help on tough bosses. Some thoughts:

- I was able to avoid getting good on NG until the Sword Saint, who had a cheese/safe route that took so long that I would lose focus and die. After at least 10 hours of getting wrecked, I embraced the aggression and was able to get through the first two stages without taking a hit.
- The NG+1 victory lap has always been enjoyable but savaging some of the earlier bosses was thrilling. Mr Dojo, who killed me at least 10 times on NG, couldn't withstand the awesome power of someone who had located the L1 button.
- I am not too old to shout 'FUUCKKK YOOUUU' at a computer when I finally kill a big meanie.
- The Owl Fight in Hirata was probably the most frustrating because of the camera's behaviour in an enclosed space. My first real shot at winning went down the toilet when I had to jump into a corner to escape an explosive attack and the camera snapped to an angle that didn't show the boss, who wasn't told that it wouldn't be fair to attack at that moment.
- Swamp/poison areas are a miserable slog. Keeping them short is a good change from Souls.
- The difficulty of the grunts scaled very well, which kept me interested in clearing areas. I nonchalantly attacked several of the red dudes when I first encountered them on NG+1 and was murdered.
- I thought the absence of summoning would detract from the game's replay value as I used it to repeatedly co-op the fun parts in the Souls series. Aside from summoning obviously being completely wrong for this game, subsequent playthroughs are short enough that loading up the next NG+ is far less daunting than in Souls and I'll do it again in a few weeks/months.
- I laughed my rear end off when I was knocked into an abyss by a huge snake without warning.

Conclusion: good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Can confirm everyone’s advice! I beat him today! This game is amazing.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I ran into something interesting today. I started NG+2 and got to the first snake section without dying. I missed a grapple up after the eye-stab and got hit twice quickly, dropping me into an abyss and killing me. The cutscene for dying played and I returned to the temple, but the deathblow markers still haven't shown up. I received two dragonrot (sculptor and inosukes mother) and Emma was there to tell me about how crazy it was that I died and came back. I've defeated Genichiro without dying, so I'll report back if the cutscene plays again or something the next time I die, but it's really strange.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That's just white snake, there he goes again! on his own, slurmin down the only road he's ever known.

and there's a BLADE in my EYEEE

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Chakan posted:

I ran into something interesting today. I started NG+2 and got to the first snake section without dying. I missed a grapple up after the eye-stab and got hit twice quickly, dropping me into an abyss and killing me. The cutscene for dying played and I returned to the temple, but the deathblow markers still haven't shown up. I received two dragonrot (sculptor and inosukes mother) and Emma was there to tell me about how crazy it was that I died and came back. I've defeated Genichiro without dying, so I'll report back if the cutscene plays again or something the next time I die, but it's really strange.

Id imagine this is because you fell and died, which doesn't allow for a resurrection, so you didn't get one, but after a certain point, I think around there probably, if you haven't died or res'd at all, you automatically give the sculptor and the maid dragonrot. I made it to Genichiro before dying and got the resurrection cutscene/Kuro dialogue thing, then promptly died for real right after, on NG+5, and I immediately got sent back to the sculptor and that cutscene played.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imhotep posted:

That's just white snake, there he goes again! on his own, slurmin down the only road he's ever known.

and there's a BLADE in my EYEEE

You're a monster but nice job.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

no matter what NG you're on and how many tools you have backstabbing Juzou is a pain in the fuckin rear end :mad:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best part about falling post-eye stab is the thing will continue to scream in pain until you reach the next marker

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

no matter what NG you're on and how many tools you have backstabbing Juzou is a pain in the fuckin rear end :mad:

Juzou is somehow one of the hardest bosses in the game

his moveset is wack and he's surrounded by 10 dudes. why is this guy one of the first three minibosses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Juzou is somehow one of the hardest bosses in the game

his moveset is wack and he's surrounded by 10 dudes. why is this guy one of the first three minibosses.

To teach you hit-and-run tactics. You can easily take out several of his goons on a single pass, and once you've got them all, it's backstab time.

This also helps against the Chained Ogre, who you can backstab if you aggro him and then run away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

codo27 posted:

The best part about falling post-eye stab is the thing will continue to scream in pain until you reach the next marker

lol i had that happen yesterday, dude just kept flailing away while i wandered back from the start

Poll for y'all who've played an NG+ or two, did you like and use many combat arts besides Ichimonji? Only other one I've been impressed by is High Monk (especially against purple shinobi, holy moly), but the rest're :geno: to :mad:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mortal draw is ok and does more vitality damage than ichimonji but at the end of the day the posture recovery and lack of an emblem cost on ichimonji means it's categorically better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah when I fought drunkard I led the dudes away a few at a time until he was alone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Just like the tools, all the combat arts are cool and have their uses even if some are easier to use or less situational.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just took the second drunkard out. Clearing the monkeys and hiding for 10 seconds for an easy backstab makes it a joke compared to the first guy.

It's one of the few times so far that I've felt like a real prick in this game though. The guy was just enjoying a peaceful evening with his monkey friends.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

mortal draw is ok and does more vitality damage than ichimonji but at the end of the day the posture recovery and lack of an emblem cost on ichimonji means it's categorically better.

The main advantage of mortal draw is the huge area it covers and the fact that it deals damage through blocks. It's useful for dealing with groups of enemies that tend to block everything like the blue robe guys or the interior ministry ninjas.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Isn't mortal draw also a bit faster? I remember contantly getting blown up when I tried to counter owls ichimonji with my own, but mortal draw worked every time.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah mortal draw is literally how I beat ISS, and Owl. I kept using Ichimonji then I was like gently caress it I’ll use Mortal Draw to get vitality damage on Owl, and it worked. Then with ISS, I just couldn’t get past his 2nd and 3rd stages and the chip damage also helped with that. It does cost spirit emblems but it’s worth it to get through their defense and deal damage, especially if you pop an Ako’s sugar. The guaranteed damage and huge range which stubs them twice is great and posture damage recovery isn’t really the reason why I ever use Ichimonji..

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I recently started jumping and parrying in midair in the middle of boss combos. poo poo is stylish as gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Just like the tools, all the combat arts are cool and have their uses even if some are easier to use or less situational.

What's the use case for Spiral Cloud Passage

E: actually it looks like they patched it so it costs less and does vitality damage through block. Maybe it's not utterly worthless now like it was on release.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Regy Rusty posted:

E: actually it looks like they patched it so it costs less and does vitality damage through block. Maybe it's not utterly worthless now like it was on release.

It chews through weaker enemies but its bad against bosses so you probably wont use it a lot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A Banana posted:

Isn't mortal draw also a bit faster? I remember contantly getting blown up when I tried to counter owls ichimonji with my own, but mortal draw worked every time.

depends on if you try to charge it or not (if you have the skill to charge it)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

I recently started jumping and parrying in midair in the middle of boss combos. poo poo is stylish as gently caress

Jumping on its own is a thing that the game does not make very clear how useful it is as a combat maneuver. You can evade a LOT more than just perilous sweeps by jumping.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm told it's really good at applying status effects (because the wind slashes count as separate hits), so scp + living force will reliably set a boss on fire in the middle of the chain, which means the second half will hit unblocked for mad damage while the boss is stuck in the ignite animation. still not exactly a staple skill, but you know

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Didn't gently caress with the combat arts when i platinum'd this game on ps4, but now that i'm playing on pc i've installed the no emblems mod and it's a lot of fun experimenting with combat arts. There are surprisingly less situations where you can outright cheese something significant (so far. i havent unlocked some of the mushin arts or the top tier prosthetic one).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I've played for about 150 hours by now and I just figured out that if you get hit by a pretty hefty attack and don't do anything, you slowly fall down, but if you hit the block button during this animation, Sekiro tries to regain his composure and holds his sword up to block while using his prosthetic arm to brace for it.

I always thought it was just two completely different animations that happened at random or depending on how heavy the attack was!

So yeah, if you get hit by an attack that drops you, hit the block button right afterwards to transition into the "staggered but blocking" animation.

Still figuring poo poo out in this game.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 4, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lone Shadow Masanaga is harder than most actual bosses. Even when his AI is broken he can really mess you up.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I also had no idea you could mikiri counter the lone shadow thrust kick. But that's just my brain thinking the counter only applied to blades and because a kick is not a blade, therefore I must run away

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I also had no idea you could mikiri counter the lone shadow thrust kick. But that's just my brain thinking the counter only applied to blades and because a kick is not a blade, therefore I must run away

You can mikiri almost every thrust in the game, regardless of what's being thrust at you.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Paracelsus posted:

Lone Shadow Masanaga is harder than most actual bosses. Even when his AI is broken he can really mess you up.

Its something about the later lone shadows thats off. I feel they hit slightly faster than other ninjas. Also, the deflect sound against melee confuses me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

You can mikiri almost every thrust in the game, regardless of what's being thrust at you.
massively changes the frotting boss for sure

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Orv posted:

Right, I was doing mikiri counters fine. my brain plus a mistimed mikiri counter pretty much decided to not even bother, and I just didn't pay attention until I saw a video of a dude countering it

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
During subsequent playthroughs these there the enemies I dreaded most. Have trouble with the timing which has to be pretty good, unless you dodge and hit, because they do so much posture damage. The ninja guarding Mist Raven was the hardest part of NG for me.

Edit: then you get to Dojo 2.0 and there's 2!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

massively changes the frotting boss for sure

It was a great act of will making that post neutrally worded.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

so much posture damage.
This is most of it, especially when the one on the way to Sunken Valley uses a Yashiriku's Sugar that never loving wears off and doesn't seem to reduce his health. The Masanaga encounters are also in places where it's very easy to get screwed over by the camera.

quote:

Edit: then you get to Dojo 2.0 and there's 2!
That's just a Vilehand, not Masanaga, and the non-boss one can be stealth-killed and puppeteered.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

temple posted:

Its something about the later lone shadows thats off. I feel they hit slightly faster than other ninjas. Also, the deflect sound against melee confuses me.

I honestly never figured out how to fight these guys "properly". I just did a shitload of running and jumping around and occasionally smacking them when they whiffed a long combo past me and I could get at their back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

temple posted:

I remember Gyobu having a thrust from the distance after he does the sweep-on-a-rope; is that stompable too?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I honestly never figured out how to fight these guys "properly". I just did a shitload of running and jumping around and occasionally smacking them when they whiffed a long combo past me and I could get at their back.
I was pleased to learn the rhythm of their kick response to deflecting you: wait after the deflect about a half second, deflect 4 kicks on-beat, pause a half-second, dodge forward to stomp. Boatload of posture damage, free of charge

(ed) Their jump deflect-response is abusable as hell, too: wait for it, deflect, and he'll sweep every time. hit High Monk if you have it or wait half a sec and jump-kick if you don't; more free real estate

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 5, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly dodge works well against them.

Ciaphas posted:

I remember Gyobu having a thrust from the distance after he does the sweep-on-a-rope; is that stompable too?
Idk that fight I try to stay close. I know the move you mean

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The ninjas are one of the enemies that most rigidly follow the Genichiro Template of r1 r1 l1, so they're really easy to me. Just keep doing that rhythm until you see one of their two special attacks, both of which are also fairly predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Amppelix posted:

The ninjas are one of the enemies that most rigidly follow the Genichiro Template of r1 r1 l1, so they're really easy to me. Just keep doing that rhythm until you see one of their two special attacks, both of which are also fairly predictable.

They also have one of the most predictable sweeps so I tend to equip High Monk when fighting them.