Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: 1:
meanwhile the annual discussion from a "new actual player" in the sc subreddit. Including the usual accusations like pay to win and the complaints that people donate so much money to sc.

:reddit: 2:
Yeah, the discussions are worthless.

I complained to the admins, but they think that what I want is a forum without criticism. And they think that by not moderating the forum whatsoever they are providing everyone a platform, but what they are doing is alienating people because certain things cannot be said because a bunch of anti-social universally loathed jerks who organize attacks against fans of SC will pounce on any opportunity to stir negativity and piss people off.

Every other subreddit as a "No Troll" policy, why doesn't r/starcitizen? It's almost suspicious, as in I am not sure that the motives of the moderators can be trusted. When they apparently permitted people to accuse one of the CIG employees of being a pedophile I became convinced that at best those moderators have absolutely no loving clue how to manage a community and what purpose banning serves.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Once upon a time, Star Marine was, until the "scaling" problem.

Then Star Marine was developed internally at CIG.

It upholds the same quality as Arena Commander.

Theaters of War promises the same.

Yeah. the quality is poo poo because they worked on it for about 6 months then added nothing in terms of content or bugfixes. nothing will change with this new mode.

What i mean the modules were made by a 3rd party is that they in terms of the games feel, they don't feel like they were made on the same builds as the PU, like they started from scratch in creating all 3(soon to be 4).

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Isn't the inherent problem that the types of encounters/fights/time to kill etc need to be very different for an MMO where you can't just respawn in a few seconds than an arena type shooter. So what really are you learning about combat design and balancing etc that you can apply to the MMO?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Drink mixing game is in.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

jarlywarly posted:

Isn't the inherent problem that the types of encounters/fights/time to kill etc need to be very different for an MMO where you can't just respawn in a few seconds than an arena type shooter. So what really are you learning about combat design and balancing etc that you can apply to the MMO?

They’ll just rebalance the balancing, it’s fine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just realized something obvious

By deciding to go with the narrative that SC will be an Everything Game, with more features than exist in all other comparable games combined, they've committed to being a Nothing Game, because all gameplay loops depend on each other, and therefore theoretically unlimited delays have to be accepted as the insanely gullible base assume that one day it'll all just suddenly work

Which is not how any game has ever been created, ever, except Spore, and well.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sillybones posted:

But they had Space Marine and they had Space Arena. These were both self-contained things that they could have used to perfect both shooting on foot and flying in space. Why do they need a new mode to do what these already did?

Because the new mode is a reskin for Crysis Wars and they can pretend like they're actually doing something

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Bofast posted:

It would be funny if someone managed to send Ben into orbit before SC is released.

Is there a Falcon 9 variant with 6 extra boosters planned?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The StarBase developers have an open survey gathering feedback on cosmetics :eng101:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1A09u3huSRkRxoA6IqcdyOi3yH7YBiybJEsHVceWbUmY

Top pick question:

:laffo: :gary:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Dementropy posted:

meanwhile the annual discussion from a "new actual player" in the sc subreddit. Including the usual accusations like pay to win and the complaints that people donate so much money to sc.

I complained to the admins, but they think that what I want is a forum without criticism. And they think that by not moderating the forum whatsoever they are providing everyone a platform, but what they are doing is alienating people because certain things cannot be said because a bunch of anti-social universally loathed jerks who organize attacks against fans of SC will pounce on any opportunity to stir negativity and piss people off.

Every other subreddit as a "No Troll" policy, why doesn't r/starcitizen? It's almost suspicious, as in I am not sure that the motives of the moderators can be trusted. When they apparently permitted people to accuse one of the CIG employees of being a pedophile I became convinced that at best those moderators have absolutely no loving clue how to manage a community and what purpose banning serves.

:reddit: yes and i think you named the biggest problems with this subreddit.

Even on the offical spectrum chat, alteast for germany there is a lot of trolling. At this point i rarely read articels and forums about sc. To much drama, wrong information and facts and only worthless Discussions, just easy clicks for websites.

As i said in an earlier thread these people wont stop when sc starts, future gankers and griefers who don't want people to have fun with this game.

:ohdear:

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Bubbacub posted:

Because the new mode is a reskin for Crysis Wars and they can pretend like they're actually doing something

I can imagine the meeting where the senior software architect (24yrs old) bursts into the room, boasting about how he found the Crysis Wars source folder in their repo. "We reskin it and the backers will be extatic!"

Also chances are that when they are building on top of Crysis Wars in a state without CIG hacks sprinkled all over the place it might even work halfway decent.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Loving how this guy just keeps shopping for guns amongst 6 threshing pirate ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUCJmay-z10

Persistence is in!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
20?? (the future): CIG still can't get anything working in any reasonable state. Emboldened by x decade(s) of successfully repainting failure as success, CIG claims that the official initial release of Star Citizen is now going live. Nothing will change, except the version number. Phrases like "we're excited to move forward into this new phase of our wildly successful game, stay tuned as more content continues to be added" etc. will be liberally sprinkled everywhere. Backers will continue to take victory laps as the Timex Sinclair 1000 running the server sits in the background humming away. This isn't game development; it's purgatory, and Chris is its dark, shadowy overlord; an amorphous blob on the horizon, stuttering and stammering about eyelids and shoelaces, as its cursed denizens clip through each other, and the environment, until the end of time.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

20?? (the future)

It seems optimistic that this isn't 2???

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dementropy posted:

can't believe the star citizen mods didn't ban me for something I said on like /r/games or whatever dumbass subreddit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Only because we paid that one admin to prevent your ban.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Reddit Admin accepting bribes to take a blind-eye to Hate Crimes Against Video Games? Someone should notify the German PC gaming press immediately!

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Quavers posted:

Is there a Falcon 9 variant with 6 extra boosters planned?

I heard Ben can't fly because of health reasons. Going into orbit should be fine.

ClownBobo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 3, 2020

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

ggangensis posted:

I can imagine the meeting where the senior software architect (24yrs old) bursts into the room, boasting about how he found the Crysis Wars source folder in their repo. "We reskin it and the backers will be extatic!"

Also chances are that when they are building on top of Crysis Wars in a state without CIG hacks sprinkled all over the place it might even work halfway decent.

But which version of that source folder? Crytek.Crysis.OldIdeas.CrysisWars.Source? Or, Amazon.Crytek.Crysis.1000YearsOldInVideoGameYears.CrysisWars.Source? OR mayhaps, SeanTracy.StuffITookWhenILeftCrytek.InEmergencyBreakGlass.Source?

Which ever it is, I'm guessing Crytek's lawyers are going to want to have a look at that source should round 2 ever happen. Pump up the ring girl, we won't want to miss this!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

can't believe the star citizen mods didn't ban me for something I said on like /r/games or whatever dumbass subreddit.

I took the bullet so you could live to fight another day. *hands you the bloodspattered Goonswarm flag and dies*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SoftNum posted:

Well, you know, it's well-established that I tend toward optimism regarding this project.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SoftNum posted:

Star Citizen: persistent development

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

Well, you know, it's well-established that I tend toward optimism regarding this project.

Star Citizen: I tend toward optimism regarding this project.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
At the risk of incurring a probation, I would like to call attention to the anime series 'Keep your hands of Eizouken!'. It is an anime about making anime. And episodes 4 and 5 address exactly the kind of troubles of dreaming versus actually making something. Of wanting to do every scene hand drawn versus 'trickery' and software to fill in the gaps. Of having not to worry about money and time versus having a budget and a plan.
Almost as if they watched Chris, inverted how he acts, and came up with the producer character for the series that guides the artists to achieve their goals.

In short: when I watch something about people achieving goals, I think of how they are not like CIG.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beexoffel posted:

At the risk of incurring a probation, I would like to call attention to the anime series 'Keep your hands of Eizouken!'. It is an anime about making anime. And episodes 4 and 5 address exactly the kind of troubles of dreaming versus actually making something. Of wanting to do every scene hand drawn versus 'trickery' and software to fill in the gaps. Of having not to worry about money and time versus having a budget and a plan.
Almost as if they watched Chris, inverted how he acts, and came up with the producer character for the series that guides the artists to achieve their goals.

In short: when I watch something about people achieving goals, I think of how they are not like CIG.

We've been freed from the hobnailed boots of Beet's oppression! Post anime to your hearts content!*

*You will most likely be probated.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Beexoffel posted:

That`s the fascinating thing about Chris.
He has an infinite amount of money and literally tries to build a plane made of stone. Has it been done before? No. Why? Because it's a stupid idea.
But with sheer brute force and obscene amounts of money he was able to build one that`s even able to fly for a few hundred meters before crashing down. Does it change the fact that the whole endeavor is a huge waste of money and energy? No.
That also plays into the fact that Citizens like to compare SC with the largest and most successful games of all times like GTA V, CoD or the Witcher. It's like comparing Chris' stone plane to ones that are built from lightweight alloys by sane engineers.
They should start comparing it to the largest failures: Duke Nukem Forever (rumored "tens of millions"), APB ("in excess of 100 million") Shen Mue (70 million), Daikatana (30 million), and they would realize that even the most high profile failures in gaming history combined haven't burned through that much money with as little to show for as Chris has.

So kudos to studios who can stay on a budget and deliver good or even fantastic games. Sames goes for movies or even music (looking at you, Axl). Chris obviously has neither the right personality nor the competence to achieve such things, and I predict that it will take the backers a few years more to realize that, if ever.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
GLITCHED INTO FLYING NPC SHIP

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Stepped off tram.

ACTUAL RESULT
Stepped off tram onto platform and was standing there a few minutes when it happened. Instantly put into a cargo hold of a constellation ship being flown by a nine tails pilot.

EXPECTED RESULT
Eventually crashed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AP posted:

Looking through the bug tracker and you can really see the progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl344nN5mXA

The way the camera bobbles all over the loving place while you're climbing the ladder is insane

I've never gotten motion sickness from a non-VR title before

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

The way the camera bobbles all over the loving place while you're climbing the ladder is insane

I've never gotten motion sickness from a non-VR title before

Could the whole POV be tied to the player character's eyeballs?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bronze Fonz posted:

Aren't there other glitches that pretty much confirm this? I think there was one where the hud was missing, and going to 3rd person revealed the characters' eyeballs were gone too.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
GLITCHED KISOSK

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT
Spinning kiosk at Orinth.

EXPECTED RESULT
Unusable.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

Bronze Fonz posted:

This was already solved using advanced chicken tech. I suspect something with the chicken sandwich shortage of late has contributed to observed deviation. Expect return to normalcy just as soon as chickensanity subsides. Oh yeah, and the avian flu thing in China too. They'll need to get a handle on that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

"You spin me right round baby right round!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toiletbrush posted:

Dunno if this guy's code was also written during crunch but in my experience this is where most of the pain of crunch code comes from - there might be bugs or it might work fine but crunch code is pretty much always poorly architected or not architected at all.

Careless bugs might be embarrassing but they can usually be fixed in minutes/hours, but reams of code that railroads everything that depends on it for evermore, is hard to change but littered with assumptions that won't be true next week and has its tendrils all over the codebase takes *months* to fix and rots your code from the inside out as anything that's built on it is instantly tech debt.

Yeah, that’s precisely it. I’m sure the guy was also under mad pressure, and he ended up doing a bunch of return(10) level poo poo at the very foundation of the whole project, and then a year of poo poo was built on top of that. So I had to go back and fix the initial poo poo because hooray turns out the stuff we’re doing now includes those edge cases where the original hack solution doesn’t work anymore. And then fix a bunch of intermediate stuff that was built on top of that. And THEN get to work with my own stuff. And all the while the to do list keeps growing because who ever heard of a feature lock before release?

I am 100% sure I have created a bunch of landmines that either I or the guy who replaces me in 6 months will step in but what can you do? I don’t want to be the guy who hosed it up, so because I know I can do it if I cut some corners and put in a bunch of overtime...

I am also 100% this is what life at CIG is like, because their scope keeps growing, features keep changing and Croberts has people redoing poo poo for the sixth time. The whole thing is built on rotten matchsticks and I’d hate to be the guy who tries to build something extremely complicated over that foundation.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is only the Hanger, but still...

SPAWN ANYTHING IN YOUR HANGAR USING THE COFFEE MAKER

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Spawn a coffee maker in your hangar
Place anything you want on the placeholder for the cup

ACTUAL RESULT
You can spawn for example a ship on the coffee maker

EXPECTED RESULT
Only coffee mug should be allowed

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Aren't there other glitches that pretty much confirm this? I think there was one where the hud was missing, and going to 3rd person revealed the characters' eyeballs were gone too.

The HUD/eyeball glitch was so common, it definitely pointed to your 1st person camera and hud being literally in your character's pupils because fidelity of loving course.
So it would make sense that this bobbing around while climbing a ladder comes from... this mind-boggingly stupid fidelitous approach to doing things the absolute worst way possible.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has chris decided if all the rays should be traced yet? will they have to start over for that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah this is one of the biggest tell-tale signs that these idiots genuinely don't understand game (or software) development.

As a personal anecdote, I've been crunching like crazy this past week to get our prototype ready for testing launch next Tuesday. Towards the end of the week I was coding for 11 hours straight, and the results of that crunch aren't good work! It's totally counterproductive, because you're not thinking straight at that point, and you'll be making mistakes, and coming up with stupid solutions that you'll have to redo the next day anyway. And this is not complicated code, it's very basic stuff but there's a lot of it to do*.

The idea that "game coder codes 16 hours a day" is a good thing is so loving stupid. It's a colossal sign of horrible project management and a pretty loving sure fire sign that the project is going to fail.

[*] and the guy who was coding the project before I got hired made some loving interesting decisions, which I'm now paying for.

Thing is its not even true. Sandi is clearly just bullshitting to make it sound like she works harder than she does and Chris does more than he does.

Sandi and Chris probably worked like 5 hour work days, where they mostly did nothing. Chris never touches the code. (He's not a good manager either, but he's definitely not actually programming for 16 hours a day lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ggangensis posted:

Did not see that particular video, but one that dealt with the question why a lot of VFX in movies looks worse than a lot from, 10 or 15 years ago.
They're answer was that VFX became a sweatshop-industry over the years. The demand grew so quickly because everyone and his little brother now makes special effects heavy films. If you look at marvel shovelware movies, it is sometimes hard to tell if these are from a videogame or actual movies. Because of the high demand, exactly what you state happens: Unpaid overtime, rushed productions while operating on a dime.

I think there is just one sane way to go with it: Never, ever work for the entertainment industry.
It is no secret that the gaming industry doesn't pay well (except you are one of the gifted few in a sea of thousands. Looking at you, Tiago) and the working conditions are often abysmal. The main problem here is that being a "game coder" sounds pretty cool and it's a dream of a lot of young people, mine included a few years back. So what happens when a lot of people want the job and the bulk of applicants is straight from university? Right, it dumps the wages and allows a culture of crunch time. Young people often don't know their rights or just lack the foresight that working yourself into burnout is nothing you will hear even a single "thank you" for.
I think this is pretty singular when it comes to software development. Sure, writing backend-stuff for a bank might be boring, but a at least it pays well and you are home by 6.

Yep. I worked one game industry job and jumped ship for general software dev. Now I'm out by 5:15 and I get paid twice as much. Its ridiculous but that's what happens when its "cool" to work there I guess; you get exploited like crazy. :capitalism:

Scruffpuff posted:

I know this might wind up being a controversial opinion, but it matches my experience that developers who truly enjoy coding will enjoy the satisfaction that comes with writing efficient, elegant, optimized code whether it's in a video game or some unknown backend credit card service. Even if they're video game fans. "The dream" of working on video games is something of an illusion, unless your passion exceed normal safety levels. A satisfaction of a job well done writing good code for a small company and getting recognized and appreciated for your work is far better than working endless crunch so nerds can bitch about the end result on Youtube.

Yeah also this. The fact that your code powers a game doesn't matter THAT much. Its fun to sit in a board room and talk about spaceships or fireballs, but at the end of the day its still broken code you have to debug and fix to the spec.

I got into programming because I liked old school video games, but I always liked programming for programming so it wasn't hard to give up the game side and just keep the coding going for itself.

Also you can work on little indie games on the side. Keep your hobby a hobby and it doesn't make you hate it!