Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

idgi why use trucks to deliver nukes when you could use ballistic missiles which are impossible to intercept???

just put a parachute on it

Because you gotta bring the nuke to the missile factory, duh

Unless we start firing the missiles at the nukes to pick them up along the way and then drop them off where ever they are supposed to 'splode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

rotinaj posted:

Unless we start firing the missiles at the nukes to pick them up along the way and then drop them off where ever they are supposed to 'splode...

Just build the nuke in the location you want to blow up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rotinaj posted:

that's what cruisin' missiles are for

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Segmentation Fox posted:

Just build the nuke in the location you want to blow up.

Listen, buddy, the city manager is already up my rear end about this project. I don't get this cone shaped object installed in the middle of this heavily populated city center, I'm hosed. Now can you stop pestering me?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't the horrible terrist peeps just still use the hosed warhead to make a dirty bomb and still royally gently caress up a large area for centuries?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Couldn't the horrible terrist peeps just still use the hosed warhead to make a dirty bomb and still royally gently caress up a large area for centuries?

I'm theory yes, but do you have a plan of how to ambush one of these trucks, fight 10-20 heavily armed guards, somehow haul away a shipping container-sized block of hardened foam to your secret lair, chisel out the fissile material, strap it to a big enough boom-boom and transport THAT to your nearest soft target without the boom-boom or zap-zap killing you first...

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

anonumos posted:

I'm theory yes, but do you have a plan of how to ambush one of these trucks, fight 10-20 heavily armed guards, somehow haul away a shipping container-sized block of hardened foam to your secret lair, chisel out the fissile material, strap it to a big enough boom-boom and transport THAT to your nearest soft target without the boom-boom or zap-zap killing you first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRk2CxTQXM&t=67s

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No.

Dirty bombs are pretty much all hype and no boom. They're a shitload of trouble to make for no additional kinetic effect on target. Your best case scenario is you make whoever you just bombed spend a bunch of extra money cleaning up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought they were just like, regular bombs that blew radioactive poo poo everywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It sprays a bunch of radioactive particles all over the place and then whatever country just spends a poo poo ton of time and money to clean it up by removing the topsoil and shipping it off to a less rich part of the country.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
goin by this thread and the chemistry thread its probably easier and cheaper to just use some sort of chemicalz and let the cancer rates do its thing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought they were just like, regular bombs that blew radioactive poo poo everywhere.
Spreading a few kg of plutonium around doesn't really accomplish much from a terrorist perspective. Anyone close enough to get hit with it has more immediate problems than radiation exposure, and the rest just gets picked up afterwards.

Radioactive solids are all very heavy, and thus tend to settle out of the air quickly even if you manage to aerosolize a bunch. Anything hot enough to be immediately dangerous to your victims is more than hot enough to kill your bomb maker. Those isotopes also tend to exist in incredibly small quantities, in difficult to access locations.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 4, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shut up Meg posted:

One of my current theories is that at some point in the near future, we're going to learn about how something commonplace and believed harmless will turn out to be the cause of a major issue.

And it's going to be really weird, like butter causes racism, or the USB protocol causes appendicitis or cushion covers trigger peanut allergies.
I still stand by that drat dihydrogen monoxide being the problem. Everyone who gets that stuff in them eventually dies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I showed this to everyone in the safety trailer and the response was universally a mix of :stonk: and “find out where this is and fire everyone, I don’t care that they don’t work for us”.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I showed this to everyone in the safety trailer and the response was universally a mix of :stonk: and “find out where this is and fire everyone, I don’t care that they don’t work for us”.

Based on the amount of water in the bottom of the pit you probably don't want to be there when the ground inevitably liquefies due to vibration from the digger.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
How effective would a dirty bomb that was an explosive inside a big block of asbestos be

Also: can you even buy asbestos anymore?

Dear GCHQ: this is a joke

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

MikeCrotch posted:

How effective would a dirty bomb that was an explosive inside a big block of asbestos be

You sure can, but you might have problems getting it out of russia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MikeCrotch posted:

If you didn't mind the drive* you could just hire a truck and a small dozer and help yourself in Wittenoom.

*or the inevitable lung disease

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BMan posted:

You sure can, but you might have problems getting it out of russia
There's enough exemptions you can buy asbestos products and especially raw asbestos fairly easily. Bit of paperwork if I remember right.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finding asbestos from demolition sites should be easy, you just need to set up some kind of asbestos collection company. That also does blasting so you can get explosives.

But I doubt it would be very effective, long term exposure might be deadlier anyway. For terror purposes I don't think that an attack needs to be maximally deadly to be effective. The point is to make the survivors fear.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I once worked with a person that thought because we offered asbestos removal, we should also offer asbestos installation. Explaining exactly how that does not work was fun. This would have been in about 2005.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just point them to a place that installs drum brakes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
At least it's not Asworstos, that stuff's really bad :drum:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Trump relaxed the rules on asbestos so maybe Americans at least might get to enjoy some horrific lung problems in the future.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Here’s a pretty notable asbestos fuckup from around me:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.poughkeepsiejournal.com/amp/2846040001

This article leaves out the part where they weren’t telling the workers they were working on asbestos, and straight up putting it in regular dumpsters.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Aramoro posted:

Trump relaxed the rules on asbestos so maybe Americans at least might get to enjoy some horrific lung problems in the future.

Make
Americans
Get
Asbestosis

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

goin by this thread and the chemistry thread its probably easier and cheaper to just use some sort of chemicalz and let the cancer rates do its thing.

If you wanted to be truly diabolical you set up a facility that continuously pumps out all kinds of nasty chemicals to the surrounding area. Say you will employ people to get a few local politicians on side. Now you are a job creator and what you are doing is perfectly legal. You might even score some tasty subsidies out of it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aramoro posted:

Guess we're all getting the medal of freedom

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Varkk posted:

If you wanted to be truly diabolical you set up a facility that continuously pumps out all kinds of nasty chemicals to the surrounding area. Say you will employ people to get a few local politicians on side. Now you are a job creator and what you are doing is perfectly legal. You might even score some tasty subsidies out of it.
Scary chemicals are bad enough, wait till you hear what government cheese and corn sugar did to our life expectancy.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is OSHA working. You can see how much he bounces when he hits the floor. That reminds of when my universities gym put in a climbing wall in 1999 or 2000 it put some old gym mats at the bottom in case someone fell. You know, the kind that you can feel the hard gym floor though when you fall on them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The danger of a dirty bomb is 999‰ panic and 1‰ direct health effects.

MikeCrotch posted:

This would cause more direct health effects but less panic so it wouldn’t be as good a weapon.

The airliners hitting the World Trade Center released asbestos far more effectively than any purpose‐built device ever could, and still very few people care about the asbestos.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No.

Dirty bombs are pretty much all hype and no boom. They're a shitload of trouble to make for no additional kinetic effect on target. Your best case scenario is you make whoever you just bombed spend a bunch of extra money cleaning up.

You vastly underestimate the idiocy of the general public. Nuke plants are "dangerous"despite having stupidly high standards for both security and safety, xrays at the hospital are "fine" and essentially can do no wrong and nobody's heard of a THERAC, bananas "aren't radioactive", and they absolutely would drink tea from fiestaware.

The exact same reason there's a hundred minuteman silos in the middle of nowhere, USA is also a very good reason to just put a super secure massive nuke plant out there, but progressive energy policy first has to deal with the fossil fueling problem(the lead-addled boomers screaming NIMBY in Nebraska, not actual crude oil)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In general, "people that make huge profits from the status quo" are the biggest obstacle to progress.

The fossil fuel industry impedes nuclear power far more than a few nimbys.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KqeoK8N.mp4

There's a nuke in that semi.

I know that road. Hey, Great Falls, what up?

Malmstrom AFB is a constant source of OSHA. An MP who was visiting a friend of a friend of mine in college insisted on having me take his new Kia SUV to get the drunk idiots snacks. It was a complete piece of poo poo that could barely climb the mountain to campus, but that's not even the dumbest part. Dude starts telling me about his job.

In detail.

And, I mean, I was doing maybe 20mph in this poo poo-can Kia, so he had a lot of free time to blather. Then, suddenly he stopped. He stared into the middle distance.

"Oh poo poo. All of that was like...super classified."

:smugjones:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jabor posted:

In general, "people that make huge profits from the status quo" are the biggest obstacle to progress.

The fossil fuel industry impedes nuclear power far more than a few nimbys.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about the ultimate stink bomb, like that chemical that 1 drop of made a whole town vomit for days or something.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know that road. Hey, Great Falls, what up?

Malmstrom AFB is a constant source of OSHA. An MP who was visiting a friend of a friend of mine in college insisted on having me take his new Kia SUV to get the drunk idiots snacks. It was a complete piece of poo poo that could barely climb the mountain to campus, but that's not even the dumbest part. Dude starts telling me about his job.

In detail.

And, I mean, I was doing maybe 20mph in this poo poo-can Kia, so he had a lot of free time to blather. Then, suddenly he stopped. He stared into the middle distance.

"Oh poo poo. All of that was like...super classified."

:smugjones:

as a montanan i believe that great falls blows wet rear end

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

what about the ultimate stink bomb, like that chemical that 1 drop of made a whole town vomit for days or something.

Don't worry, the US definitely looked in to something like that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Don't worry, the US definitely looked in to something like that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

What about Who Me?