Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Raged posted:

Ok, I have a silly question. How the hell did this guy pull out Drak?

1st off you can see no red mana to be seen. Before I took the screenshot the was only 6 total blue black mana on the table.

Nothing has been exiled and this is his entire graveyard

Take a good look at the highlighted card in your second screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Take a good look at the highlighted card in your second screenshot.

Yeah, he dumped Drak into the graveyard with Tomebound Lich's "Draw a card then Discard a card" or Rotting Reggie's "Discard a card". By the time you checked his graveyard, Bond of Revival had already brought it out of the graveyard and back to the battlefield.

Drak is like the #1 card to reanimate from the graveyard for these decks, especially with the Haste, since his swing is 7 damage plus all those nasty effects (he can hit you for 7-11 damage and nuke 2-3 of your creatures in the first turn).

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 5, 2020

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Zero VGS posted:

By the way this is entirely Nvidia's fault for not having support. If you're streaming from your home PC, the smartphone "Steam Link" app supports proper drag with your finger when you set it to "Direct Cursor Mode".

It's a shame the freeware Moonlight app doesn't support drag either, because the stream quality is much higher than Steam Link, especially when you're on a data network.

edit: Still, everyone should sign up for the free thing and you can use the "Send Feedback" button that's front and center to feature request drag support. I'd think they'd add it pretty quick if everyone's hassling them.

Hey, thanks a lot for this man. I've been putting off trying Steam Link for so long now since "Parsec is just fine & also has the drag-drop", and just now I did the "Add Non-Steam game" thingie and holy poo poo, my mind is blown. Steam Link is just so much better than Parsec. It's almost like playing a touchscreen PC or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

srulz posted:

Hey, thanks a lot for this man. I've been putting off trying Steam Link for so long now since "Parsec is just fine & also has the drag-drop", and just now I did the "Add Non-Steam game" thingie and holy poo poo, my mind is blown. Steam Link is just so much better than Parsec. It's almost like playing a touchscreen PC or something.

Yeah it's magical when you're on Wi-Fi, even remotely, the game feels like a perfect smartphone port with Steam Link.

I'm a demanding user and often play over data while on my commute, in those cases drops in bitrate and lapses in connection are handled more gracefully with Moonlight than Steam Link, but Moonlight like Geforce Now has no drag support.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

The ratings are not particularly useful. Be guided by your own experience of what the cards do, not those.

They give you a solid idea what the super bombs are, but they're occasionally very, very wrong about what the dreck is.

yea the LSV ratings are done before the set gets release. they are just guesses and not reflective of reality

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ladies and Gentle-goons I present to you a very fun Brawl deck

Commander
1 Haktos the Unscarred (THB) 218

Deck
1 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Temple of Triumph (M20) 257
1 Wind-Scarred Crag (ELD) 308
1 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
7 Mountain (ANA) 59
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Response // Resurgence (GRN) 229
1 Swiftblade Vindicator (GRN) 203
1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
1 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
1 Skyknight Legionnaire (GRN) 198
1 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
1 Fireborn Knight (ELD) 210
1 Heartwarming Redemption (WAR) 199
1 Outlaws' Merriment (ELD) 198
1 Solar Blaze (WAR) 216
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
1 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
1 Glint-Horn Buccaneer (M20) 141
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
1 Cavalier of Flame (M20) 125
1 Purphoros's Intervention (THB) 151
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Shock (M20) 160
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Gideon's Sacrifice (WAR) 14
1 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis (THB) 14
1 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
1 Single Combat (WAR) 30
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
1 Storm's Wrath (THB) 157
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
7 Plains (ANA) 56
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Heliod, Sun-Crowned (THB) 18
1 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Altar of the Pantheon (THB) 231
1 Smothering Tithe (RNA) 22

If anyone has any suggestions for obvious inclusions I'm missing i'd love some input, but these games have been very fun to play and actually have some game against the bullshit twin-suns of "Mono-Removal Grixis" and "Golos". Iv'e had many games end to nearly instant concession to Haaktos, even if I'm very far behind. If the stars align and you can actually buff him with Gideon or Aurelia it gets very dumb quickly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angelic Exultation works pretty well with Haktos.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Sentinels Eyes world always work on him at 1cmc, giving him +1/+1 and leaving him always open as a nearly invincible blocker. You can easily get it back if it falls off.

Flicker of Fate might be worth it as it can help him dodge removal 2/3rds of the time and reroll his protection.

edit: Uncaged Fury would be great when it works. and EMBERCLEAVE is game over.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 5, 2020

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Sentinels Eyes world always work on him at 1cmc, giving him +1/+1 and leaving him always open as a nearly invincible blocker. You can easily get it back if it falls off.

Flicker of Fate might be worth it as it can help him dodge removal 2/3rds of the time and reroll his protection.

edit: Uncaged Fury would be great when it works. and EMBERCLEAVE is game over.

Sentinel Eyes and Embercleave are both unusable by him.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

q_k posted:

Sentinel Eyes and Embercleave are both unusable by him.

Oh yeah I'm thinking backwards.

edit: Kenrith can always give him haste and trample so they can both tag-team, and can bring him back from the graveyard without paying the tax, if you're splashing black.

Bond of Discipline clears all blockers and gives him Lifelink.

Chance for Glory is a very good YOLO winmore card that matches the color.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 5, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Would the Triumph of Anax work on him? I'm not sure offhand.

E: Smelt-Ward MInotaur might be useful; stops the occasional correctly-costed blocker from working.

Maybe Feather to recur the spells that can target him this time out?

E: Shatter the Sky seems like a good fit too.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 5, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Citywide Bust might be even better, it's a cheaper wrath that hits most Brawl creatures since they skew bigger, and it always misses him because it is based on toughness.

edit: Nahiri gives him First Strike and has some other utility

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 5, 2020

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Would the Triumph of Anax work on him? I'm not sure offhand.

E: Smelt-Ward MInotaur might be useful; stops the occasional correctly-costed blocker from working.

Maybe Feather to recur the spells that can target him this time out?

Triumph would work if a 3 was rolled, and shatter the sky would kill him.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

q_k posted:

Triumph would work if a 3 was rolled, and shatter the sky would kill him.

Yup, Destroyed isn't in the list of protections, of course, he's usually protected from Destry effects by protection from targetting. I didn't have the keyword list up to check then.

Maybe Purphuros, which I think works to give him Haste?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Maybe Purphuros, which I think works to give him Haste?
That would work, along with anthem effects like Glass of the Guildpact if you wanted to buff him up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Single Combat just got me an insta-concede from the enemy. It was basically a Balance against them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Welp it was a tossup between Pharika's Spawn and Dreadful Apathy but I wound up doing Dreadful Apathy since I was too antsy for a reply. In hindsight it was maybe right call since no other black bombs showed up. I drafted the rest of the cards mixing my common sense along with that LSV limited review someone mentioned, and also referenced the 17lands.com Win Rates for cards to give me some hints.

All-in-all I got pretty hosed as two of the 3 rares were lands and the other was Shatter the Sky, and there were no super-obvious bombs at all in white nor black.

Despite no "great" cards I seemed to get a fairly coherent "play some white weenies and pull some removal and resurrection out of my rear end". Here's every card I pulled that wasn't the off-color stuff forced on me as last-picks:

I assume Green is not worth splashing for even though there's Siona?

One neat trick I read was that I can Flicker of Fate in response to a Dreadful Apathy exile, to place it on something else. Or should I leave it in the sideboard?

It's too bad I couldn't bag more Auras like Sentinel's Eyes to abuse the Dawn Evangels further. Should this be enough to rush people down, and how on earth do I design a sideboard? There's barely enough cards for a deck.

Yay, just won my first BO3 with that deck. Went 2-0 against a deck that had Pharika's Spawn both games; the only bomb I was offered that I passed on myself.

Game 1 he played Pharika's and I did the legendary "Full Control, exile with Dreadful Apathy, Flicker to another creature" move. In response to my trying to exile his Pharika's Spawn, he sacced it to final flare instead. But once he was able to Escape it back out, it was too late. I had tokens to sac and block from Omen of the Sun, and I had both my Daybreak Chimeras out to outrace him.

Game 2 I pulled two Dreadful Apathy and fished the 3rd with Heliod's Pilgrim. I had way too many weenies on the board and successfully exiled his Spawn this time and he had to scoop since he basically ran out of creatures.

edit: Finished with 4 wins but I couldn't handle the horseshit Mythics people had. One dude dropped Porophos or whatever and ate 5 of my creatures in one turn. I guess I can't be salty about it, I played my best and got like 1500 gems and 4 packs.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 5, 2020

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i had a fever dream about hydroid krasis last night

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it was just a series of land filling my hand in my brain with a single hydroid krasis, except it was always my turn and the lands always came into play untapped

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

i had a fever dream about hydroid krasis last night

A Wet Golgari dream

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

ex post facho posted:

it was just a series of land filling my hand in my brain with a single hydroid krasis, except it was always my turn and the lands always came into play untapped
Prophetic visions of the next Standard season

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah it's magical when you're on Wi-Fi, even remotely, the game feels like a perfect smartphone port with Steam Link.

I'm a demanding user and often play over data while on my commute, in those cases drops in bitrate and lapses in connection are handled more gracefully with Moonlight than Steam Link, but Moonlight like Geforce Now has no drag support.

BTW do you know how do I unlock locked screen using Steam Link? Seems like the display is completely blank on Steam Link if the computer is locked. So I need to use Parsec to unlock it first.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dream Trawler should not be a card

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I feel dirty for playing my most hated color combo, UW, but Dream Trawler finishes games so nicely the deck feels great to play. I for one welcome our new azorius overlords, him and lil Teferi are going to enable this kind of deck for a while, I think.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Dracula Factory posted:

I feel dirty for playing my most hated color combo, UW, but Dream Trawler finishes games so nicely the deck feels great to play. I for one welcome our new azorius overlords, him and lil Teferi are going to enable this kind of deck for a while, I think.

The current control deck finishes a lot faster than previous typical control decks, that's why it feels a lot nicer to play. I've stopped playing it only because the mirror is miserable however. Currently testing an Esper list instead.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
simic ramp feels too slow right now. i'm getting loving crushed by setessan selesnya and mardu/rdw and went on a 5 game loss streak after climbing into gold 3 :mad:

facing down a 10/14 trampling starfield mystic on t4 feels bad man

time to go back to my orzhov discard for a while i guess

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: beat a Liliana ultimate because of Klothys nugging them for 2 on my turn for about 7 more turns.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar
Hello goons, I am still on my quest to draft improvement. I actually had two back to back 6-3 drafts playing WG with pretty strong decks that basically built themselves.

For my current deck it seems like a much weaker pool. I rare drafted pack 1 and 3, I don't think I missed out on much in 3.

I currently have this and need to make a couple more cuts. Is it even worth trying to splash for the Acolyte of Affliction with 1 traveler's amulet? Are there any glaringly obvious bad picks that I made outside of the rares?

The draft

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

dantae posted:

Hello goons, I am still on my quest to draft improvement. I actually had two back to back 6-3 drafts playing WG with pretty strong decks that basically built themselves.

For my current deck it seems like a much weaker pool. I rare drafted pack 1 and 3, I don't think I missed out on much in 3.

I currently have this and need to make a couple more cuts. Is it even worth trying to splash for the Acolyte of Affliction with 1 traveler's amulet? Are there any glaringly obvious bad picks that I made outside of the rares?

The draft

P1P7: I would have taken aspect of lamprey given your rise to glory
P1P8: rage-scarred berserker is a fine card and red/white seems unlikely
P1P9: Envoy seems nicer if you picked lamprey P7. Also generally. I've never seen hero of the winds do anythying.
P1P10: Again I'd have picked any of the other non-blue cards here as better
P1P11: Flicker is amazing
P1P13: sword is better and can potentially make the cut to enable your black/white utility fluff to be more threatening. Even in your draft with all the flying heroes sword is a contender.
P2P3: Very interesting. On the one hand you don't have escape yet, and favor is a fine card. In your build with the heroes you're also hurting for auras. I'd still probably have gone unicorn and hoped to pick up some eyes later
P2P4: eidolon is way stronger in the deck you're heading towards imo
P2P7: wut. The omen's right there!
P2P9: either of the auras fits what you're doing way better (the heroes are good carriers, rise to glory)
P2P12: I think people are drastically undervaluing wings of hubris. Flying wins limited games.
P3P1: !@#!?? Tymaret! You're never splashing a GG card and you're already 2 packs deep.
P3P2: Elspeth's nightmare is the pick here, especially since you didn't take as much aura synergy as I would have
P3P6: OK, what. You have double apathy plus a grasp already and you're passing up on rise for glory?

At this point I just started skimming frustratedly sorry

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

"New"?!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

house of the dad posted:

Nah it's fine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

house of the dad posted:

Dream Trawler should be an uncommon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Osmosisch posted:

P2P12: I think people are drastically undervaluing wings of hubris. Flying wins limited games.

Drawing blanks loses them though, and Wings has a higher risk of being that than most cards since you can't always rely on being on the attack. Fine sideboard card though.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I bought some paper Dream Trawlers to carry with me at all times

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Drawing blanks loses them though, and Wings has a higher risk of being that than most cards since you can't always rely on being on the attack. Fine sideboard card though.

It's also fine on defence if your opponent is the one flying over. Obviously context matters. What I said is people undervalue the card, not that it's amazing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looking for some advice on what to do with this:

I started off in WR and picked up a couple of good cards in B along the way. Got Kroxa in pack 3 and grabbed some more. Not sure if I should leave white out or put it back in and just splash black or what. Didn't get any fixing unfortunately. Kind of annoyed at myself for not going RB sac right from the start which I did consider but hindsight, like the year, is 2020

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 6, 2020

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

dantae posted:

The draft

Agree with everything Osmosisch said but some extra stuff:

P1P10: As Osmosisch said already, Hero of The Winds is pretty bad. You only have one card that triggers it, and in w/b, you're unlikely to get many more. So there's no value in a second hero. Maybe you end up playing one but the odds you want two are slim to none. So why not take the equipment here? You probably won't end up playing wings either, but it gives you more options, and it's better to pick a weak card with a unique effect rather than a weak card with an effect you already have and don't particularly want. This matters a lot less in bo1 but it's super important if you ever play with sideboards.

P3P1: Gonna dust this one off again:

little munchkin posted:

This pick both fails at achieving your goal of winning games, and fails at achieving your other goal of filling your collection. This card does not and will not see constructed play, so there's no actual value in obtaining one. Picking something that actually improves your deck would do more for your collection, because it maximizes the chances of winning your entry fee back (which means more drafts and more chances to open actual good rares).

Tymaret is really good and should have been the pick.

P3P4: This was a terrible pick in retrospect, you're really missing that second amulet in your final build. You should have already been thinking about whether or not you want to splash green in your final deck.

P3P9: Same as P3P4 but it should have been super obvious at this point that you'll want/need to splash. Try building your deck, making cuts, considering your splashes etc. during the draft. Arena makes this really easy to do, and if you had done this it would be pretty apparant that amulet is a need for your deck, making sure you have access to green mana while still reliably hitting WW and BB for your other spells. Also it gives you fodder for escape which isn't nothing.

As far as if it was good or bad to splash green, i could seen an arguement for both sides, but it's important to make your picks consistent with the style of deck you want to play. If you like to play greedy splashes, then you need to prioritize fixing over lovely on-color commons.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 6, 2020

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I started off in WR and picked up a couple of good cards in B along the way. Got Kroxa in pack 3 and grabbed some more. Not sure if I should leave white out or put it back in and just splash black or what. Didn't get any fixing unfortunately. Kind of annoyed at myself for not going RB sac right from the start which I did consider but hindsight, like the year, is 2020

Only 10 creatures is super sketchy when you're relying so heavily on auras. That's more of a draft issue than deckbuilding though I don't think it's worth running any of the stuff in your sideboard.

Absolutely do not splash, you have a bomb rare that requires BBRR to function. None of your white cards can compete with the power level of being able to reliably escape Kroxa.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

It's going to be tough to actually use any of your sacrifice outlets and there's definitely a chance you won't have anything on board to attach iroas's blessing to. You could cut the Furious rise for maybe the revelers or a trickster just for another body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I would like some help please. This might actually be more garbage than I imagine but it feels like one of the better post-draft piles of cards I've ever had. Because of that, I really want to have the best advice going into my first games. I probably don't have enough large creatures or removal.

I clearly am aiming for a sacrifice deck but I haven't played one in this format. Any help would be appreciated. I'm fantasizing here but I would love to steal one of their creatures with Betrayal, sacrifice their creature later, trigger some sacrifice bonuses, and create a copy with Nightmare Shephard.

Note: I haven't pared anything out at all.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 6, 2020