Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

People are idiots, that why you're supposed to leave it on until you've completed your turn. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

What's the rule there btw? You both have a stop sign and you're turning left – I'd also assume you'd have to yield to them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dog on Fire posted:

What's the rule there btw? You both have a stop sign and you're turning left – I'd also assume you'd have to yield to them.

Whoever got the to the stop sign first has the ROW.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd get back into the habit of making the turn signal fully click, just so the sound is on your dashcam so you can prove that you had your signal on any time it might be important to prove that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Whoever got the to the stop sign first has the ROW.
In Oregon at least, whoever is in the intersection has the right of way. The common courtesy is to give it to the person who stops first and the person on the right, but not by law.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

In Oregon at least, whoever is in the intersection has the right of way. The common courtesy is to give it to the person who stops first and the person on the right, but not by law.

This isn’t the intent of the law. By this logic you could never stop at a stop sign and once you’re in the intersection you have the right of way, everyone else be damned, but that isn’t the case.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This isn’t the intent of the law. By this logic you could never stop at a stop sign and once you’re in the intersection you have the right of way, everyone else be damned, but that isn’t the case.
I don't know what the intent is, but that is the law as written.

"Stop signs. A driver approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no marked crosswalk, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time when the driver is moving across or within the intersection."

In our driver test books, they emphasize the common courtesy aspect everyone grows up with, but it has nothing to do with the law.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rusty posted:

Drivers in Oregon were only recently allowed to pump their own gas, though.

In most states the law at a four-way stop is first come, first served. If you arrive at the same time and there would be a conflict, then it's either straight-over-turning, right-turn-over-left-turn, or priorité à droite.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

Drivers in Oregon were only recently allowed to pump their own gas, though.

In most states the law at a four-way stop is first come, first served. If you arrive at the same time and there would be a conflict, then it's either straight-over-turning, right-turn-over-left-turn, or priorité à droite.
Usually the car on the right gets the right of way on a tie for states that have laws that are more more explicit I think.

Edit: Also, we definitely cannot pump our own gas, that's only in remote parts of Oregon

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 28, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This is the best I have at the moment. Jerk very slowly turned left in front of traffic and got in the center turn lane to merge (which you're not supposed to do). Caused multiple cars in heavy traffic to brake hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZsdUqkKBQ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No points for that driver's poor timing but suicide lanes are definitely allowed for turning left into, at least in AZ - but you have to stop as soon as you get into it and wait until you can merge.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

No points for that driver's poor timing but suicide lanes are definitely allowed for turning left into, at least in AZ - but you have to stop as soon as you get into it and wait until you can merge.

If you look, there's left turn arrows painted on the road in that lane. I believe here in Indiana they're explicitly for left turns only, not for turning into and using to merge. I could be wrong though.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I'm driving toward you and you're turning left to join my lane, how in the hell am I supposed to understand that you're turning into the center lane, and not directly into mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZGS826yhg

Also, that's not a harmonica toot, but the stock horn on a '09 VW

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoWake posted:

If I'm driving toward you and you're turning left to join my lane, how in the hell am I supposed to understand that you're turning into the center lane, and not directly into mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZGS826yhg

When you cross through an intersection, how in the hell are you supposed to understand that the cars on the cross street are going to stop, and not just drive straight into you?

Answer: you understand the rules of the road and expect that other drivers do too and will follow them. I used to live in Arizona and turning left into the suicide lane was normal and expected, because it is understood that drivers doing so have to give way to drivers heading straight through.

That said, I don't really fault you for being cautious here because people are extraordinarily bad at staying in their lane even when they know the rules.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I used to live in Arizona and turning left into the suicide lane was normal and expected, because it is understood that drivers doing so have to give way to drivers heading straight through.

That said, I don't really fault you for being cautious here because people are extraordinarily bad at staying in their lane even when they know the rules.

It's even spelled out in the AZ driver's manual. You can't use it as an acceleration lane, you're supposed to just turn left into it and stop until you can merge.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We don't have those lanes here, or at least the markings are way different and make it obvious what's supposed to happen and where you're supposed to go. Is that how the markings are supposed to work? That truck's gonna have to cross unbroken double lines to be going the way it's going, which is definitely not allowed here.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 29, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That center “lane” appears to have diagonal yellow stripes in it, so probably not its intended purpose but is instead to accommodate a lane/road taper in one direction, or the left turn lane at the signal in the other direction. I think each state can develop its own standards as long as they comply with federal MUTCD. I’m not a traffic engineer.

In California you are allow to cross over double yellows to make a left turn, unless it’s two sets more than 2 feet apart from each other.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The suicide lane *should* be half dashed on either side once its "open" and that can lead to some weird confusion if you try to interpret it with normal lane marking rules.

Here's an example from FL:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

If you look, there's left turn arrows painted on the road in that lane. I believe here in Indiana they're explicitly for left turns only, not for turning into and using to merge. I could be wrong though.

We have the same lanes here, and they're used for merging with traffic all the time. It's the only way to make a left turn on a lot of roads here.

I routinely turn left into them, stop, and wait for an opening. You're not meant to use it as an on-ramp, just wait until there's a gap to merge into, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

CornHolio posted:

This is the best I have at the moment. Jerk very slowly turned left in front of traffic and got in the center turn lane to merge (which you're not supposed to do). Caused multiple cars in heavy traffic to brake hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZsdUqkKBQ

What? This is exactly what you're supposed to do...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Laws regarding using the center turn lane for merging varies from state to state.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Laws regarding using the center turn lane for merging varies from state to state.

Big part of why I was so confused/alarmed when I saw people doing it here in Illinois, I'd never seen it before and had to assume they were gonna sideswipe right into me.

I get it, you're never gonna find an appropriate gap in both the eastbound & westbound lanes at the same time, so you've gotta barge into the center when eastbound clears and wait for a gap westbound. This is a perfect situation for roundabouts though, even if every intersection doesn't have them. Right-turns only at all 2-way intersections, then cruise to the next roundabout and do your U-turn to get going the direction you need.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't tend to use the center lane like that, but people do it, whatever, what makes it dumb is when they drive in the lane and try and match traffic speed and not just stop and wait for an opening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rusty posted:

what makes it dumb is when they drive in the lane and try and match traffic speed and not just stop and wait for an opening.

I'm pretty sure that every state that allows you to turn into it specifically prohibits this type of behavior.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NoWake posted:

Big part of why I was so confused/alarmed when I saw people doing it here in Illinois, I'd never seen it before and had to assume they were gonna sideswipe right into me.

I get it, you're never gonna find an appropriate gap in both the eastbound & westbound lanes at the same time, so you've gotta barge into the center when eastbound clears and wait for a gap westbound. This is a perfect situation for roundabouts though, even if every intersection doesn't have them. Right-turns only at all 2-way intersections, then cruise to the next roundabout and do your U-turn to get going the direction you need.

This sounds like you grew up with Mayberry levels of traffic. That would be a goddamned nightmare here.

Edit: Actually thanks to construction it's pretty much how a good section of a major road here is right now, and it is in fact a nightmare. Most of us seems to prefer parking on the highway fighting THAT construction instead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dog on Fire posted:

If we had arrived simultaneously then yes. My understanding in Texas is that it's first-in-first-out. In my clip I got there just after two oncoming cars, so I stop until they both go, then I go. While I was turning another oncoming car behind the first two also decides to drive forward, hence my issue.

Got another one last night, what I get for driving through sketchy parts of town at 2am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZQ_pbj1bE

It's obvious in the dashcam, but the 3rd car was right behind my A column until they were almost in front of me. The extra honking was about half and half 'gently caress this guy' and 'please car behind me notice me senpai and also stop'. Also I really need to wipe down the inside of my windshield.

And yeah I'm always a little nervous using center turn lanes to step across big roads, but when the alternative is to wait for both directions to clear up at the same time sometimes you just gotta take the gap.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Check this guy out.

edit: here's an imgur link in case that isn't loading.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 7, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

How do you not hear that?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flakeloaf posted:

How do you not hear that?
Dunno about you, but I know a number of people whose solution to their car making a bad noise is to turn up the radio.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just a few things from the last few months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kTeHvXZXMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlE0i2bSKuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdrQbuE2RY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THvUx04tJjw

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wolrah posted:

Dunno about you, but I know a number of people whose solution to their car making a bad noise is to turn up the radio.

Whereas I turn the radio down and yell at my passengers to shut the gently caress up.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whereas I turn the radio down and yell at my passengers to shut the gently caress up.

"What? What's going on?"

"My car made a noise, dammit!"

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So it seems my dashcam is about ready to go. It will still write video files when it reaches the time limit I set for file length and rolls over to a new file, but any file that isn't the full size (i.e. I turn the car off in the 'middle' of a file) then it gets corrupted and no video player can render it, despite them all having appropriate file sizes. Obviously this is a pretty fatal flaw for a dashcam, so I need a new one pretty quick.

Are there any obvious caveats between the AUKEY 1080P for $75, the A119v2 for $95 and the A119v3 for $120? Is the AUKEY somehow better than the other two, or did they screw something up with the A119 between v2 and v3?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FGL63X/?pldnSite=1

How long would a camera similar to that last on a portable charger like this one? My work truck just plain doesn't have a 12/24V socket to plug into.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How long would a camera similar to that last on a portable charger like this one? My work truck just plain doesn't have a 12/24V socket to plug into.

Is your work truck your property? I'd recommend you wire in a USB power source to the fuse box before relying on one of those for a dashcam.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Is your work truck your property? I'd recommend you wire in a USB power source to the fuse box before relying on one of those for a dashcam.

It isn't, and there's a decent chance that if I asked (again) for the port to be fixed, they'd just remove something else instead and tell me it's fixed. Thanks for the answer, though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It isn't, and there's a decent chance that if I asked (again) for the port to be fixed, they'd just remove something else instead and tell me it's fixed. Thanks for the answer, though.

My bad. It ought to run it no problem.

Dashcamtalk posts seem to say a couple watts for consumption, so napkin math at 5v says like 12h on a 5Ah battery.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How handy are you? You can run a wire directly to the battery with a $20 fused install kit. Easy to mount and easy to remove.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You undoubtedly already have a mobile phone anyway - why not get a power bank that doesn't have a built in charger? It'll be a bit cheaper per mAh.

I think I paid $30 for my Aukey 10000 mAh, with two USB A ports and one USB C port. One USB A port has Qualcomm Quick Charge, the USB C port supports Power Delivery - so you have the two major quick charging standards handy for your phone, and it'll still crank out 1 - 1.5 amps on the regular port for your dashcam. Downside is when you decide to get a Chinese phone that uses VOOP for its fast charging standard (hello OnePlus, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc - guess who's rocking a OnePlus these days :sigh:). That particular pack can be charged either via USB C or a micro USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

My bad. It ought to run it no problem.

Dashcamtalk posts seem to say a couple watts for consumption, so napkin math at 5v says like 12h on a 5Ah battery.

Oh, sorry if I seemed dismissive or anything, I was genuine in my response. 12h is way more than I would need so that might work!

Nitrox posted:

How handy are you? You can run a wire directly to the battery with a $20 fused install kit. Easy to mount and easy to remove.

I could probably figure it out but no way in hell I'm touching anything in that truck, for various reasons.

STR posted:

You undoubtedly already have a mobile phone anyway - why not get a power bank that doesn't have a built in charger? It'll be a bit cheaper per mAh.

I think I paid $30 for my Aukey 10000 mAh, with two USB A ports and one USB C port. One USB A port has Qualcomm Quick Charge, the USB C port supports Power Delivery - so you have the two major quick charging standards handy for your phone, and it'll still crank out 1 - 1.5 amps on the regular port for your dashcam. Downside is when you decide to get a Chinese phone that uses VOOP for its fast charging standard (hello OnePlus, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc - guess who's rocking a OnePlus these days :sigh:). That particular pack can be charged either via USB C or a micro USB port.

Because I already own that specific charger :v:. I use it for my phone since I'm missing that power port.

Ideally, I would be able to get a second (unless it comes with a second?) attachment pad so I could move the cam from my work truck to my car depending on what I'm driving.