Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Love the screenshots Liblunini they’re showing up great on the Awful App, which I also love.

Much love people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Weavered posted:

Love the screenshots Liblunini they’re showing up great on the Awful App, which I also love.

Much love people.

Thank you!

And since we're on a new page, here's the rest of my last batch: (After this, it'll take me at least another month to get some more good screenshots)

Digging out junked freighters like this one is always fun. But either I'm cursed with the worst luck, or the rewards are more dialed towards starting players, because I'm mostly getting stuff like antimatter and paltry sums of money. And lots of radiation, but that doesn't count, as it actively tries to hurt me.

Sentinels fighting Sentinels? Wow, I wish I could have seen that. Thanks, black box!

I know people are into riding and all that, but when I'm not screenshotting animals, all my interactions end in either A) animals running away from me, while screaming or B) animals running at me, while screaming

Good god my gun sometimes gets a real work out. Planets tend to be either peacenik central or only predators, all the time. At least this poor fellow here didn't want to extract my bone marrow.

A Vile Anomaly? Now this I gotta see

Uhhhhh...

OK?

This planet looks perfectly fine, except for those weird giant rings. I can't scan them, so they're neither animals, plants, nor minerals. They are... just there?

Honestly, this planet made my pulse race just from sheer creepiness.

The planet also had extensive underwater caves. I abused the gently caress out of my portable shelter to penetrate as deep as possible. After an hour of endless worming corridors like this one I decided to turn back, though. Getting creeped out stops being fun after a while.

Same planet, after I got out again. Seeing those poor fuckers ground themselves after hopping out of the water made my day. The planet immediately redeemed itself in my eyes. :v:

Same planet. Some kind of Dino Rhino with feathers. Odd, but OK. Creepiness levels still dropping.

And then I went back to Sky Tower to finally take some pics of my pet horror. Can you see it?

Now we're a bit closer.

Aww, isn't that cute? It's sleepy! :allears:

Edit:

Now that I think about it, are Abyssal Horrors always the same or are they more like animals and plants, with multiple possible variations? If someone wants to test and compare to their own, just go to the Nexus and warp to Sky Tower, as I'm certainly not committing suicide to find out how that thing looks when it awakes and comes out of the ground.

(Also I don't want to hurt my pet.)

And for the last pic, have this crater sea I stumbled over on my newest planet. More soon! (Probably will take at least 1-2 weeks though.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 9, 2020

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Probably nothing in the scheme of things, but my son was playing and happened across a star system that someone else had discovered.

I came across a tiled planet covered in those not-a-portal sentinel terminal things. Are they rare?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Probably nothing in the scheme of things, but my son was playing and happened across a star system that someone else had discovered.

I came across a tiled planet covered in those not-a-portal sentinel terminal things. Are they rare?

I found one of those once, so not so rare that it's unknown but not so common that I've seen it twice in several hundred hours

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone playing this on an Xbox One X? How does it look?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I found one of those once, so not so rare that it's unknown but not so common that I've seen it twice in several hundred hours

Interesting. So what about cabled and [ REDACTED ]?

The redacted one was fun. When my ship appeared in the system it was in the planet's atmosphere and it ended up being thrown all over the place.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Minor update today.
Maybe it will fix my inability to change Exocraft forward/brake keys.
I can frustratingly remap other movement keys, but not those 2.

https://games-guides.com/no-mans-sky-update-2-26-patch-notes-on-january-22/

quote:

No Man’s Sky Patch Notes 2.26
Added fixes for some crashing.
Fixed players reported glitches.
Addressed audio-related issues.
Addressed issues related to UI.
Few exploits are now fixed.
Added fixes for framerate drop and freezing issues.
Added performance and stability improvements.

e: Nope, still gone. Dunno why they took that option out.
Problem was the option to change left and right was in there though it didn't do anything because you steered with mouse.
But when they took that out they also took out changing forward/brake also.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2020

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Interesting. So what about cabled and [ REDACTED ]?

The redacted one was fun. When my ship appeared in the system it was in the planet's atmosphere and it ended up being thrown all over the place.

I hadn't seen a cabled system until last night when I ran across one on my new Survival save. I had seen REDACTED before, maybe twice? I love that I'm still running across these weirdass systems for the first time even still.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
That's why I'm asking. I've been holding a suspicion that the generation of the galaxy is based on a fractal. May not be, but it just feels like it.
The whole area where my current save started was horrible. Lots of systems with maybe one or two planets per system. All pretty resource poor and inhospitable.
The current area which I got dumped actually has interesting systems with lots of planets of varied types. Got a laugh out of a Frozen Anomaly planet. I'll say it was. Not frozen at all and 140° storms.
In the galaxy map there's also a fairly dense, reasonably straight, very obvious line of star systems which I found interesting.

By the way. When did garages disappear? I actually wanted to use one recently and found they were gone.

e: The update added synthesis items and not much else.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 22, 2020

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I won the memory leak lottery. Over 80 million units worth of a rare item in the input of the exosuit refiner. I guess it makes up for the rampant mould or whatever its called that I keep finding thousands of in my various inventories.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

First time on the anomaly station a random person gifted me some stasis item thing that I sold for 15 million credits. Gonna buy so many wiring harnesses. Thank you, space-Santa.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah when you are poor, its good to just idle there with inv room.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Decided I want to do an infrastructure project and then call whatever hellscape I build that on my home. Is there an efficient way to hunt for S rank deposits for mineral extractors? I drove in a straight line hopping in and out of my Exocraft for a solid hour hunting deposits and the best I found was an A rank of the wrong metal. The planet has Activated Indium on it, but finding a seam is proving nightmarish.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Lucked upon a really weird little moon that is perfect for my needs; complete with A grade activated Indium hotspot and a power hotspot right next to it!

Plus it's gorgeous and incredibly alien. Gonna have some fun developing this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

S is more of a thing you luck upon by checking your visor every single planet than something you have a decent chance of brute-forcing. That's a nice looking moon - an A grade should easily be enough production unless you're building cities of storage tanks or logging in multiple times a day, and the energy hotspot is a massive win over loving around with generators and batteries.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Wilekat posted:

Lucked upon a really weird little moon that is perfect for my needs; complete with A grade activated Indium hotspot and a power hotspot right next to it!

Plus it's gorgeous and incredibly alien. Gonna have some fun developing this.

Finding exotic features like those rings or big stone arches really satisfy that "exploration" itch. This planet is irradiated but I just had to build a base under that arch:

It's my current main base. The hovering piece of rock on the left seems to be glitched. I made it by accident withe the terrain tool, and now it won't stay gone. :(

Speaking of mining, I need minerals for the engine upgrade. Am I going to have to spend much time searching for red/blue/whatever stars? I'm colorblind and this is painful. I have to check the letter designation for the stars to tell the difference.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Han Nehi posted:

Finding exotic features like those rings or big stone arches really satisfy that "exploration" itch. This planet is irradiated but I just had to build a base under that arch:

It's my current main base. The hovering piece of rock on the left seems to be glitched. I made it by accident withe the terrain tool, and now it won't stay gone. :(

Speaking of mining, I need minerals for the engine upgrade. Am I going to have to spend much time searching for red/blue/whatever stars? I'm colorblind and this is painful. I have to check the letter designation for the stars to tell the difference.

Cadmium, emeril, and indium are as common in their star systems as copper is in yellow stars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can also double any metal you have by refining it with chromatic metal, so you only ever need to do that hunt once.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! I dunno if this will ever come up, given it's hid behind level 8 guild membership, but if you take a mission to assault a freighter, the things you need to shoot out are the cargo pods built into freighters, not anything free-floating. Those do not count.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Han Nehi posted:

While I am not colorblind I do wear glasses and also have a hard time telling what color a system is supposed to be sometimes.
Is there an easy way from the description to tell.
Could use a handy legend.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

OgNar posted:

While I am not colorblind I do wear glasses and also have a hard time telling what color a system is supposed to be sometimes.
Is there an easy way from the description to tell.
Could use a handy legend.

Blue systems are always O and B, Red systems are M and K, Greens are E, and Yellows are F and G.

Most of these are related to real spectral classes for stars. E is the only made up one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

S is more of a thing you luck upon by checking your visor every single planet than something you have a decent chance of brute-forcing. That's a nice looking moon - an A grade should easily be enough production unless you're building cities of storage tanks or logging in multiple times a day, and the energy hotspot is a massive win over loving around with generators and batteries.

I've been able to find S-class Activated Indium deposits with an hour or two of brute force on two occasions. Perhaps I am just very lucky though.

That said, I would trade it in a heartbeat for a location with a power hotspot nearby. When I built my monstrosity of an Activated Indium plant, keeping the drat thing powered was by far the most annoying part. Definitely plop down with that A class hotspot and develop the poo poo out of it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Han Nehi posted:

I throw down skeletal bases with a teleporter and descriptive names like the star colour and main notable trait. This is so when I need something I can go get it. So my suggestion is when you work out a star colour, do something like that.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Built a little base at the top of a "mountain."

It's high.

Like way up.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That is great!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That is a damned good looking base.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a drat fine base, excellently done. Love the color palette variations doing work.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Blue systems are always O and B, Red systems are M and K, Greens are E, and Yellows are F and G.

Most of these are related to real spectral classes for stars. E is the only made up one.

This is how I found them. It would be nice if there was a star color overlay or something. At least it's a one-time search.

VectorSigma, that base looks great. Can I ask - how did you line up the support cubes for the stuff hanging off the ledge? Do you just have to build the cubes before anything else? I can't get mine to look right.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Also I came across someone else's base for the first time:

It's a shame there can only be one uploaded base per planet. I'd love to see more.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Han Nehi posted:

VectorSigma, that base looks great. Can I ask - how did you line up the support cubes for the stuff hanging off the ledge? Do you just have to build the cubes before anything else? I can't get mine to look right.

The large prefab rooms have attachment points on top and bottom for cubes. I just stuck one on the bottom of each of the round ones on the sides and went from there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Han Nehi posted:

Also I came across someone else's base for the first time:

It's a shame there can only be one uploaded base per planet. I'd love to see more.

News to me. I've uploaded double-bases at least twice. Do you mean other players will only be able to see one or the other?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Yeah that's what it sounds like. I was going by the wiki:

Only one base per player will be visible per planet or moon to other players who are not in a lobby with the base owner. The most recently uploaded base will be the one that appears to other players. Uploading a different base on that planet or moon will cause that base to appear instead of one that previously appeared to others.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thinking about coming back to this. Been awhile. Every update, it seems like they promise less grinding. How's that working out these days?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

doingitwrong posted:

Thinking about coming back to this. Been awhile. Every update, it seems like they promise less grinding. How's that working out these days?

You can plant plants and find extractable mineral and gas deposits to amass resources while you log off, build vehicle-mounted radars to find local points of interest, trade save point data for maps to more interesting places, and amass a freighter fleet to run missions when you're not playing.

What kind of grind made you quit the game?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The grind to get enough resources to increase my carrying capacity so that I could spend more than 20 seconds in the wilderness mining so I could have stuff to sell. It seemed to take forever to have a chance of getting a new ship, new multitool etc. I was just shuttling back and forth between the landscape and trade terminals and I wanted to climb the value chain faster so I could focus on exploring and customizing my cool ship.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

doingitwrong posted:

The grind to get enough resources to increase my carrying capacity so that I could spend more than 20 seconds in the wilderness mining so I could have stuff to sell. It seemed to take forever to have a chance of getting a new ship, new multitool etc. I was just shuttling back and forth between the landscape and trade terminals and I wanted to climb the value chain faster so I could focus on exploring and customizing my cool ship.

Oh yeah, you can boost yourself up pretty early. There are planets with resources like scrap canisters or ancient bones where you can dig up one thing worth 1-2 million, and cultural ruins on any planet will point out a buried treasure that's worth the same. Really helps with getting that seed money, and in addition to finding drop pods, space stations and the anomaly will also sell you one inventory upgrade per star system.

In addition, once you have a handful of nanites, you can buy some A or preferably S-rank scanner modules to throw in your multitool. Stack three of those guys to get like 200x the payout for scanning plants and animals.

Also your starship can just get slots thrown on it for some mad skrilla and have its letter rank upgraded for some even madder nano-skrilla.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 15, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sean's tweeting a lot lately, mostly about.. eggs.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1229446855207137281

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"wait one day"

it's just commentary on the crafting system

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

"wait one day"

it's just commentary on the crafting system

To be fair, eventually base building and crafting makes you so filthy rich, you don't have to wait for anything anymore.

Neat thing I just found out last week: If you get your first billion, the money counter starts moving like a news ticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
So I realized something that would have helped a long time ago..
With the terrain manipulator, sure you can increase the area.

But if you mine out a deposit with it at max size, you get about 75ish from the ore deposit depending on size.

But if you set the dig size to smallest and mine it out vertex by vertex, you get hundreds.

I feel like this game is full of gotchas like that.