Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

brains posted:

if you’re definitely not going to need transcoding at all (sanitized media), the cheapest, fastest option is probably a raspberry pi with usb 3 externals (via a powered usb hub because the pi can’t push the voltage for them by itself). that’ll get you 16-24tb of storage with a server to run plex.

really though, your synology with run it fine. if you don’t want to draw from your storage pools, just plug an external into it and keep it separate.

edit: it goes without saying that you need hardware to run the actual plex server package; a hard drive will only store media.

Yeah, I just don't want to use the Synology box. It's old as gently caress and I haven't touched it in like, almost ten years. I was just hoping for an easier answer, I guess. I know *something* has to drive the media, but the WD Passport supposedly does what I'm looking for. I figured since I found that, there must be a similar, better option that I wasn't finding that maybe you guys knew about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe fix one problem at a time. If you haven't touched your NAS in ad decade, count your lucky stars and fix that first before attempting to just sidestep it and keeping your head in the sand.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i was recently added as a user to a friend's plex server. when browsing my library, now there's a section called "Movies You Might Like" that recommends similar movies that he has based on the one i'm viewing in my library. why can't Plex do this when it's just my library? sometimes i watch a movie and would like something similar recommended, but not necessarily based solely on who starred in, directed, or wrote the movie. is this a setting i'm missing?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I'm setting up a server for the first time and I'm getting confused by enabling remote access. It keeps telling me that it's enabled and working for about five seconds, then flips to saying "Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network." I have (I think successfully, I've never hosed around with network settings until now) gone through the steps in the "Troubleshooting Remote Access" page to give myself a static IP and forward a port in my router, to no apparent avail.

Bafflingly, though, it seems to actually be working despite the error message--I loaded the Plex app on my phone and, connected to the cell signal ten miles from my house, was able to stream (for the <1 minute without buying a pass) a movie no problem. My inclination is leave well enough alone if it's working, but what the hell is going on here?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You don't need plex pass to stream from outside your house. The only reason I have it is because hardware acceleration is locked behind it.

Are you sure you have your ports forwarded correctly? Not behind a vpn?

If it seems to work, don't touch it I guess. Plex is weird about that sometimes. Mine worked like that for years, and then one day just out of the blue broke, and I had to change my vpn and set it up properly to get it going again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

You don't need plex pass to stream from outside your house.

But you do need to either pay for the app individually, or have the pass.

Or use the web version in a mobile browser.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Nettle Soup posted:

Are you sure you have your ports forwarded correctly? Not behind a vpn?

No VPN. I also disabled my router's firewall, although it didn't seem to change anything, so I turned it back on. I'm not 100% certain on the ports, but I followed the instructions I found and I don't see any way it's logically wrong, so I guess I'll run with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you behind carrier grade NAT?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Well I'd never heard of carrier grade NAT until now, but yeah, I guess I am.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah you're probably screwed then for getting a proper connection out. Sounds like what you were able to connect through was via a Plex Relay server.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Contact your ISP and see if they'll sell you a static IP. Pretty much your only option.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Contact your ISP and see if they'll sell you a static IP. Pretty much your only option.

Or just a dynamic IP - anything to get out from behind CGNAT will do for this purpose. Tell them your work VPN doesn't work and the IT department said it's because of this so they don't get lovely about "running servers on a home connection".

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Oh joy. Why is nothing ever simple? Thanks for the help, at least I know what my problem is now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Oh joy. Why is nothing ever simple? Thanks for the help, at least I know what my problem is now.

Alternatively ip6 solves your problems on pretty much all mobile devices. :v: CGNAT is the ultimate gently caress you hack to people dragging their heels on implementing ip6.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

Is there an external hard drive that can act as a Plex server without getting into NAS territory? I have a Synology but don't want to use it for this if I can avoid it. It looks like WD Passport can do this, but with some compatibility issues (solvable). Is there something better? I'm looking for around 5 to 10TB capacity if that helps any.

Just use the Synology ...

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Also vote for Synology. My 4 bay rules and is a plex server (and more) and now i can’t live without it

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those scared of linux but want to build on a budget/old pc parts Unraid makes it super duper easy to get going.

1. Throw old pc hardware together.
2. Load a bunch of hdds in
3. Install and run unraid from a USB key
4. Use the webgui and app store to install the Plex docker
5. ???
6. Profit.

I'll never try and do this poo poo on a soho NAS with some poo poo for power atom cpu again.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

BurgerQuest posted:

For those scared of linux but want to build on a budget/old pc parts Unraid makes it super duper easy to get going.

1. Throw old pc hardware together.
2. Load a bunch of hdds in
3. Install and run unraid from a USB key
4. Use the webgui and app store to install the Plex docker
5. ???
6. Profit.

I'll never try and do this poo poo on a soho NAS with some poo poo for power atom cpu again.

Unraid, good as it is, is a terrible choice for the "just want something simple that works" crowd. You will be loving around with it forever. Which is fantastic for people who love to dick around with stuff, that is most of the fanbase, but I would never foist it on someone who barely understands the concept of a NAS, for example.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got my whole Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzbd setup for about $350 total.

I use an old Lenovo M73 i5, 8GB of RAM, and a terabyte SSD. Just installed Ubuntu server and used Docker Compose to get everything up and going. It runs like a dream so far! Installed DuckDNS do some remote viewing and that has worked fine as well. I dont know enough about Plex and the other options out there, but for me it was a fun weekend project to get everything up and going.

I can play 4k movies on that setup and it performs fine, no buffering or jittery picture/sound.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I am looking to build a new beefy homeserver (ESX) and want to leverage a dedicated GPU for transcoding, what is my best bang for your buck card? I know Quadro's are discussed a lot for this but not sure if I have some better options out there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cr0y posted:

If I am looking to build a new beefy homeserver (ESX) and want to leverage a dedicated GPU for transcoding, what is my best bang for your buck card? I know Quadro's are discussed a lot for this but not sure if I have some better options out there.
Consumer cards are limited to 2 simultaneous encodes, unless you're willing to patch the driver.
Assuming you are, everything you need to know is here: https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Khablam posted:

Consumer cards are limited to 2 simultaneous encodes, unless you're willing to patch the driver.
Assuming you are, everything you need to know is here: https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

I figured something like this existed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Unraid, good as it is, is a terrible choice for the "just want something simple that works" crowd. You will be loving around with it forever. Which is fantastic for people who love to dick around with stuff, that is most of the fanbase, but I would never foist it on someone who barely understands the concept of a NAS, for example.

I don't really agree with this. Once you set it up its pretty much forget it. I login to my unraid box a few times a year to make sure package updates are still happening and that's about it. Any screwing around with it is because you would want to do more with it, not because you have to.

But I agree that someone who doesn't even understand what a NAS is should probably just get an external hard drive or have someone else setup their NAS for them. Synology is fine too I guess.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If someone is already using old pc parts, what exactly is the point of using Linux? My understanding is Linux is meant for low powered devices that literally can't run Windows.

I am using a cobbled together Windows PC as my Plex server. I have Plex set up on it as well as Sonarr, Radarr, a Calibre server for 500gb in ebooks that my iPad can access at any time, plus if I need to manually download something (a movie Radarr can't find for some reason for example) it's incredibly easy. Tautulli works great with it and I have an Android app that talks to my Sonarr, Radarr, and SABNZBDB programs with ease. Also Windows 10, for all its faults (that start menu :stonklol: ) has pretty drat good stability. Like I can go a good six months without ever rebooting it.

I get the reason for using a NAS (low power consumption) but if you're using PC parts what's the point in using Linux? I'm genuinely asking as someone who isn't really familiar with it since I've never had any reason to ever have to use it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If someone is already using old pc parts, what exactly is the point of using Linux? My understanding is Linux is meant for low powered devices that literally can't run Windows.

I am using a cobbled together Windows PC as my Plex server. I have Plex set up on it as well as Sonarr, Radarr, a Calibre server for 500gb in ebooks that my iPad can access at any time, plus if I need to manually download something (a movie Radarr can't find for some reason for example) it's incredibly easy. Tautulli works great with it and I have an Android app that talks to my Sonarr, Radarr, and SABNZBDB programs with ease. Also Windows 10, for all its faults (that start menu :stonklol: ) has pretty drat good stability. Like I can go a good six months without ever rebooting it.

I get the reason for using a NAS (low power consumption) but if you're using PC parts what's the point in using Linux? I'm genuinely asking as someone who isn't really familiar with it since I've never had any reason to ever have to use it.

I think, and someone can correct me because Im not an expert either, that it comes down to resource usage of the underlying OS.

Compare the "server" load of a machine using ubuntu server with just terminal access to a computer running Windows 10. Ubuntu will allow you to get more density out of your machine, you'll be able to install more services and applications on it.

Also I think docker support tends to be better on linux then it does on Windows. But again I dont really know anything, I'm a networking guy that liked playing around with docker and linux as a fun little project.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't really agree with this. Once you set it up its pretty much forget it. I login to my unraid box a few times a year to make sure package updates are still happening and that's about it. Any screwing around with it is because you would want to do more with it, not because you have to.

But I agree that someone who doesn't even understand what a NAS is should probably just get an external hard drive or have someone else setup their NAS for them. Synology is fine too I guess.

Agree with all of this. UnRaid was dead simple to set up, and the only times I've needed to access anything on it is when I want to add new apps/VMs/etc.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think, and someone can correct me because Im not an expert either, that it comes down to resource usage of the underlying OS.

Compare the "server" load of a machine using ubuntu server with just terminal access to a computer running Windows 10. Ubuntu will allow you to get more density out of your machine, you'll be able to install more services and applications on it.

Also I think docker support tends to be better on linux then it does on Windows. But again I dont really know anything, I'm a networking guy that liked playing around with docker and linux as a fun little project.

this. exactly this. better usage of resources, less overhead, no gui, less junk, install services and applications you need. Not for the faint of heart tho, definitely has a learning curve if person is a windows guy and has never done ms-dos, powershell, command line stuff, plenty of well written guides out there to help.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

There are a lot of reasons, some more neckbeard / :goonsay: than the next. From purely a server standpoint with zero ease of use or familiarity weighting Linux is vastly superior to windows. It also happens to perform better than Windows on lower powered devices as a side effect of not trying to do all the stuff Windows does straight out of the box at the direct expense of user-friendliness. The majority, probably supermajority, of the worlds cpu cycles are consumed running a Linux kernel. (Think: Google, Facebook, Amazon Web Services, etc. Even if your AWS instance is running windows it's being routed via a Linux-based hypervisor.)

However, if your life is easier using Windows for a given task then your value proposition is different. You are willing to trade performance for ease of use/familiarity and that's OK. I work faster in Linux for server workloads, so I use it - even at home. I am typing this on a Windows desktop. Though for storage I use a packaged Linux - Synology - which runs on a little underpowered atom cpu just fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't even know what a "docker" is so my ignorance of Linux is pretty high but being able to troubleshoot my server by just remoting in with TeamViewer or whatever is a huge benefit to me. I kinda gave up on the "low power" thing once I amassed the number of hard drives I have.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Windows and Linux have nothing to do with low power. It's about what you're more comfortable with.

IMO Linux is incredibly more flexible and powerful but yes, there's a learning process.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I started using Linux because I wanted to run a couple of other things as well (like irssi), but eventually everything else stopped and now it's just Plex. I could swap over to Windows I guess, but everything seems to be running well enough, so :effort:. Also I have a (completely unfounded) feeling that I'd have to attach a monitor to trouble shoot every once and a while instead of just sshing in like I do now.

Oh, and I don't have an extra Windows license.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

odiv posted:

Oh, and I don't have an extra Windows license.

I've used the same Windows 8.1 key I got for $15 to activate 9 different PCs since I first purchased it ~7 years ago. You can get Windows 7 keys in SA mart for $5 to activate a fresh Windows 10 install. Microsoft doesn't care anymore. Windows will probably be free in its next release.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yeah I don't even know what a "docker" is so my ignorance of Linux is pretty high but being able to troubleshoot my server by just remoting in with TeamViewer or whatever is a huge benefit to me. I kinda gave up on the "low power" thing once I amassed the number of hard drives I have.

Also Windows 10, for all its faults (that start menu :stonklol: ) has pretty drat good stability. Like I can go a good six months without ever rebooting it.
A Windows system you allow remote access to and which has updates disabled (for this to be true) is a bad idea.
When you apply updates, a linux setup will allow you to remote in and update everything (OS and software) with one command.
On a LTS release these will also only be security patches, which take a handful of minutes to install.

If you're "doing it right" your desktop-windows-as-server is going to be inconveniently unavailable as it installs updates and require much more hands-on to keep everything else updated.

If you're crippling the normal operation of windows to have it stand-in as a server, then that there is the reason people don't use it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

teagone posted:

I've used the same Windows 8.1 key I got for $15 to activate 9 different PCs since I first purchased it ~7 years ago. You can get Windows 7 keys in SA mart for $5 to activate a fresh Windows 10 install. Microsoft doesn't care anymore. Windows will probably be free in its next release.

Windows 10 is free software and always has been.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh yeah that's right, I always forget you can just install Windows 10 without a key and it'll still be fully functional. It has some weird limitation of not being able to change the wallpaper unless you activate the install though right? Lol.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

A Windows system you allow remote access to and which has updates disabled (for this to be true) is a bad idea.
When you apply updates, a linux setup will allow you to remote in and update everything (OS and software) with one command.
On a LTS release these will also only be security patches, which take a handful of minutes to install.

If you're "doing it right" your desktop-windows-as-server is going to be inconveniently unavailable as it installs updates and require much more hands-on to keep everything else updated.

If you're crippling the normal operation of windows to have it stand-in as a server, then that there is the reason people don't use it.

I wasn't really counting update reboots or anything. I meant long gone are the days where you need to reboot Windows every couple days.

I find Windows only reboots maybe once every month or two for major critical updates. Also there's ways to disable that and you can just update it once every six months or something if you want. I don't do that though because a random reboot at 3 am every six Wednesdays doesn't really bother me and hasn't screwed me over....yet

Another big thing I do is I have my Windows 10 server computer plugged into a Wemo switch so if I'm ever not home and the computer is hard locked somehow I can from my phone turn off the Wemo outlet, turn it back on, and the computer will boot back up (you just need to set resume on power in the bios)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

teagone posted:

Oh yeah that's right, I always forget you can just install Windows 10 without a key and it'll still be fully functional. It has some weird limitation of not being able to change the wallpaper unless you activate the install though right? Lol.
You get a message saying you haven't activated it and can't change the wallpaper. Which, who cares if it's mostly a headless server thing anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Paywalling custom wallpapers is hilarious. Because yeah, doesn't matter at all if you're just gonna be using the machine via remote desktop.

[edit]

Khablam posted:

I've been managing 4 Plex servers running Windows 10 at 4 different locations with Chrome Remote Desktop for a few years now. Never had any complaints of Plex being unavailable by the people who access them. Each server is set to run updates at a certain time and to auto login after restarting whenever required post update installation. There's been almost zero downtime. If there is, it's whenever those cumulative updates are pushed, but even then, those only take a few minutes before the PC reboots and is back up and running.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 10, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I've been managing 4 Plex servers running Windows 10 at 4 different locations with Chrome Remote Desktop for a few years now. Never had any complaints of Plex being unavailable by the people who access them. Each server is set to run updates at a certain time and to auto login after restarting whenever required post update installation. There's been almost zero downtime. If there is, it's whenever those cumulative updates are pushed, but even then, those only take a few minutes before the PC reboots and is back up and running.

This is what I've been doing, although I've noticed that if you don't connect to a system via CRD for a while, it gets that "invalid configuration" error and has to be reconfigured at the machine itself, which is mostly fine as I generally only see this on PCs that have been decommissioned and put into storage. However, that "invalid" interval seems to have decreased recently, and it happened to this PC I'm typing on right now, which is often running 24/7 anyway, so it's never been unreachable for any meaningful length of time. Now I'm worried about my remote PMS, as I don't have a quick way to physically reach it if CRD randomly decides to declare its configuration "invalid". :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone know why Plex only shows review excerpts for a small fraction of movies? I’m not sure what the criteria is, it’s a mix of new and old movies but only a small number of them have reviews on the movie info page. This is on Apple TV.